Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like Bogner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Woo, new snow thread.

Third year going out west for a ski trip for me. This year it's Lake Louise at the beginning of February. :toot:

Recommendations on things to do in "town" are appreciated!

Go eat at Touloulou's in Banff for breakfast, but get there early (like 7:30) or you won't get a seat. I loving dream of that place. If you're willing to go out to Canmore for the best poutine on the western side of the Rockies (or close enough) then La Belle Patate there is amazing and I 100% would make the drive out for it, simply for the true Canadian experience since IIRC you're American. Eat a poutine and a smoked meat sandwich for maximum Quebecoisness.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Awesome! I appreciate the food recommendations, especially since it doesn't look like there's much of a nightlife scene either.
No, Lake Louise itself is actually pretty small and quiet. Banff is definitely the feeder town into the mountain resort where basically everything is going to be. Banff is a really cute mountain town, for sure.

You should also get a beavertail when you're in Banff.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Disinterested posted:

We always talk about brands we like for outdoor wear and equipment, but is there anyone you guys won't buy poo poo from?

Arcteryx hosed over a friend of mine on warranty for the armpit zipper of a jacket that came apart at the seam. For $500+ per jacket yeah, you better loving fix that under warranty, so I wouldn't buy from them.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

I recall reading that sometime in the last decade, Banff was the highest for STI rates in all of Canada

I'm pretty sure that title bounces between Whistler and Banff pretty evenly hahaha.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also someone made an instagram account called whistler_memes and it's super accurate for anyone who has spent a lot of time up here. Most of them I'm sure you can apply to literally every single other ski town, too, just change the names of the bars/restaurants slightly.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That racing post owns.

Also, the funnest event to watch from a spectator's perspective is definitely the combined events, because there is nothing funnier than watching downhillers absolutely fail at skiing slalom.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 29, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I love the huge number of desperation pole plants he makes here. Like, most races, good slalom skiers will make zero or one, there's like four turns in a row where Bode's just like "fuuuuuuck a hard plant is the only way I'm gonna make this next turn" ahahaha.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

One of the long-named Norwegians (maybe Leif Christian Nestvold-Haugen?) actually has the best pole plant of anyone on WC right now in slalom. I'll try and find a video in the morning.

Also I should mention that the best ski racing instagram is @slalomtokyodrift which is mainly a crash account. I have been featured once, back in 2014, and it was the crowning glory of my ski racing career so far. Henrik Kristoffersen blocked them the other day for commenting "the official gloves of coming in second place" on a Reusch giveaway post LOL.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ola posted:

Great racing post! I've been wondering about those GS turns, I thought they were supposed to carve all the way.

Yeah, carving all the way is the best, but not always possible. This is one of the best examples of the difference between the best in the world and literally everyone else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zJtCeCFhYs

Skip forward to about the halfway mark and watch a few in the top 15-ish in the world. Then skip to the end and watch Hirscher. He's the only one with the technique to carve almost every turn on one of the toughest hills in the WC circuit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Poor Kristoffersen would be one of the all-time greats in all likelihood if it wasn't for the fact that he came up against Hirscher in his prime.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ola posted:

He's still very young, albeit only 5 years younger than Hirscher. He's going to have some time to rule alone. But I think the recent setbacks has taken a toll on him. He thought he was number 1 already, then he earned the ire of Austria by shouting "kiss my rear end" in Schladming, got excluded from the national team for a while for being a dick and sued the national ski association for the right to wear a $$$ Red Bull logo on his helmet, case still pending. He could learn a thing or two from Svindal. Be a nice guy, help your team mates, brag about your competitors, you will be well liked and your head will be in a better place. (Svindal's head happens to be inside a helmet with a Red Bull logo, which is part of the story).

Good example! It also looks like he's much better at absorbing the bumps, not letting them upset his line. Henrik too does a very clean carve, but with more small mistakes and less je-ne-sais-WTF.

I also think this last year really broke him, mentally, since Hirscher did literally two days of on-snow training before breaking his ankle in August, and so I think everyone kind of expected him to not be quite at his peak since the entire rest of the field trained all summer and Hirscher didn’t, then comes out and destroys everyone at basically every single event and Kristofferson especially didn’t handle that well at all.

He had a full on tantrum in the finish area when Hirscher beat him at one point then had to apologize.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

*PUNCH* posted:

The "places to buy stuff" section in the OP should probably include Corbett's (https://www.corbetts.com mostly useful for Americans, they had some ridiculous deals over the summer, haven't looked at what's on right this second) and also just link to the TGR thread for Sierra Trading Post deals.

Brought to mind because whenever I've seen a S&C discount I've been able to find something 5% deeper somewhere else.

Crystal is bare this morning. The soaked soul cries out; the heavens darken; and yet nought falls but rain, endless rain. O great Tahoma, mock not this flesh and blood but grant us mercy!

The PNW is going to have a terrible year. This feels exactly like that awful year a couple of years ago; I've been saying it since August. Rime can back me up on that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Razzled posted:

opensnow says rockies in PNW and northern CO are getting like 1-2 feet by the 9th

If you're far enough east that you're in the rockies, you're not in a region with "Pacific" in the name anymore :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

This is totally unrelated but I feel like I need to know the story behind your av.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The short answer is never post in the F1 thread

The slightly longer answer is someone is a nonstick/Teflon fanboy and does not respect the sanctity of good cast iron cookware

Hahahahaha awesome

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Also you get to ski drier, fluffier, and all around better snow so yes lets keep the Canadian rockies as the powder highway and the PNW as concrete powder fun time. no combining them or the snow may suck in the rockies.

Yeah, they're such inherently different types of snow that you really can't combine them.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Icebreaker socks > all other socks.

Smartwool socks suck.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Since my Jeopardy appearance it's not exactly hard to find out my real info, so in honour of race chat have a fun GS video without the sound edited out from this summer on the glacier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmah5IBKr8U

edit: rewatching that I obviously have no idea what pressure on the front of the boot is LOL

HookShot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 5, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I was on the October 24th episode. It's on DailyMotion for anyone who wants to see. I didn't exactly go around announcing it everywhere and somehow game shows never naturally entered the conversation in the skiing thread haha.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

davebo posted:

Hey you beat a dude from Gaithersburg, MD. He could have come home and used that money to... I dunno, help us with our MS-13 problem?

Haha one of my best friends is from Damascus, when he saw I was playing a guy from Gaithersburg he was like "sorry, I'm not cheering for you anymore".

That dude is a boss though, he's the current US crossword puzzle solving champion.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm supposed to be skiing here on the 13th and uhhhh

https://www.panoramaresort.com/panorama-today/mountain-webcams/

(the Mile 1 cam is usually the top of where we start to ski)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Landsknecht posted:

why would you go to pano the only point of that place is to sell condos to rich calgarians

I loving hate Pano more than anywhere but they (theoretically) are willing to open the mountain to us earlier than Sun Peaks soooooo.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Landsknecht posted:

the funny thing about pano is that you can just sled up to jumbo behind it and have world class terrain and snow, whereas pano is meh terrain and poo poo snoq

Panorama: We finally got free on-mountain wifi in 2017!

Panorama: I hope you like green runs!

Panorama: Our ski police pulled the passes of two racers for going into the terrain park with skis on their shoulders.

Panorama: We're super loving poo poo in every way.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

Booster straps, yay/nay?

Also 170 lbs and (almost) the best skier on the mountain, expert or WC straps?

Yay, WC.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm booked and ready to ski on the 13th. I don't know where any of my gear is.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have the Santa Ana 100s which is apparently the enforcer with a women’s (read:prettier) top sheet and I love them. If you’re an aggressive skier you’ll like them.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Just casually training on the same hill as Lara Gut...

We got 20cm over the course of the day yesterday, which was pretty fun for a while, even on GS skis, until it got pretty chopped up and kind of weird.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Disinterested posted:

I didn't but I hear from one of their old timers that the new gondy timeline is Christmas-ish.

Haha yesterday Vail announced that the new gondola on Blackcomb isn't going to be ready by opening day like they've been promising since forever, including as recently as like a month ago. They're now shooting for December 14th. It's kind of a joke here because as soon as they announced what they were doing literally everyone was like "lol not a loving chance".

The lack of that gondola also means that Blackcomb is virtually unskiable until there's enough natural snow to go up to the alpine (where there's like 20cm right now) so the extra crowds on Whistler are going to be super fun.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, that's pretty sweet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I have a rich rear end in a top hat brother and I never know what to get him for Christmas. However, he just bought a condo in telluride. He loves the area. I am thinking of like a framed map of the ski area. Do any of you know of a sort of artistic ski area map, I’m not looking to just frame one of the Niehues ones.

https://www.circlesquarediamond.com/

I got one of these from a secret santa a couple years ago and it was awesome.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Finished my first camp at Panorama and Sun Peaks. I had forgotten what it's like to be cold down to your bones.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When I went up to Vail a few years back Enterprise specifically didn't have any cars available with winter tires. We had lovely summer tires, one huge storm, and the fact that we came from a different winter resort and actually know how to drive in snow is basically the only reason we weren't in the ditch with our Chevy Impala. At one point we passed like literally 30 cars in the ditch on the drive between Vail and Copper. They closed the highway just behind us one of the days.

It's the same problem here. Rental companies don't want to shell out for winter tires, so they put lovely all-seasons on all the cars so that they're technically legal (at least here, I don't know about CO), but they're in no universe good enough tires to make it up a mountain road in a huge storm safely.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, Whistler has a new gondola this year which is balls and was stupid and isn't going to be finished until mid-December at the earliest, but replaces the old wizard chair and solar coaster chair. They have called it the "Blackcomb Gondola Express" so far. The only problem is, the existing blackcomb gondola has a giant sign going across the entrance reading "BLACKCOMB GONDOLA". So they essentially named both gondolas the same thing.

Anyway, in one of the local FB groups today someone suggested calling the new gondola "Gandalf the Gondola" (because of the old wizard chair) and if that doesn't happen I will be supremely disappointed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.9news.com/mobile/articl...3cEuGfqJuu6khtg

Lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

:stare:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kalman posted:

http://grantland.com/features/the-wet-stuff-verruckt-waterslide-schlitterbahn/ is a good (pre-accident) read on where all if it started out.

This is crazy.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Hand drags on big toe side turns! I am not sure what else can be better, especially in powder!

Knuckle drags on skis. I maintain that is the best non-powder related feeling on snow.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I am pretty sure you actually can't get correctly sized rental skis. My buddy was on 167 last weekend and is 6'5" 190lbs...

When I had to get rentals for a powder day in Kimberley a couple years back the guy tried to give me a pair of 148s. I laughed, went "nope" and he kept handing me incrementally longer skis despite me asking every time for something in the 170 range. I just kept repeating no until on like the 7th pair he handed me some 168s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Almost $20 million in fines should stop them from doing it again, but I doubt they get the full amount.