Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
$2.1 million was the final fine. It should have been more, should have at least been the cost of replacing a chairlift IMO :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

I'm making my daughter wear blue leopard pattern ski pants this year because they were on sale. She hates them. Am I a bad parent or the worst parent?

I would 100% wear these if they fit me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I legitimately bought new ski pants this year because my old ones are the same colour as my puffy and that's just way too much purple.

Also, Shiffrin became the 7th woman to win a world cup event in all five disciplines today.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ola posted:

I was a bit surprised there were that many, so I figured there would be quite a few of them from the earlier years. But no, looks like the earliest starting career (not sure if she was the first to get all five) was Pernilla Wiberg. One from the earlier years, Moser-Pröll had all four before Super-G. And now Shiffrin has all six, after parallel slalom!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIS_Alpine_Ski_World_Cup#Most_successful_race_winners
The one who did it first, Petra Kronberger, was actually a wunderkind like Shiffrin, won two Olympic gold medals, world champs, and then retired at 23 because she couldn't take the pressure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petra_Kronberger

Disinterested posted:

Most really good racer kids train all events to some degree, and when you come on to the circuit young you're normally smaller and more agile. Lindsey Vonn has 2 Slalom wins.
The thing is though, in North America we basically all start off in tech, whereas in Europe they split them into tech/speed at a much younger age simply because the Austrians have 8 trillion athletes to choose from whereas in Canada we have like 5. So almost all the North American athletes start off in tech then branch off into speed, which gives them a bigger advantage, since the Europeans tend to choose a side and stick with it a lot earlier. There's a reason that 6 of the 7 come from North America, or the smaller European countries (Slovenia, Croatia, Sweden). They're the ones who have the greater flexibility to move around within a team.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ironlung posted:

This is how models who have never skied a day in their lives carry their skis

I see people carrying their skis like this at LEAST ten times a day.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Lookit all the Jerrys in this thread who don't know how to carry their skis.

bawfuls posted:

If you carry with tips forward and the front of the front binding just behind your shoulder, the skis will balance well at a steeper angle (so tips down tails up) which gets the tails up and away from people's heads and makes it easier/safer to maneuver in crowded areas. It is more difficult to maintain this angle if your shoulder is between the bindings instead of in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5cftDHOqo

YES!

ironlung posted:

Of course, I was just making a joke about the Esquire models.

Everyone who has a clue. Take a look around next time you're at a ski area. The people who ski a lot (racers, instructors, patrollers, locals, dirt bags, etc.) will all, for the most part, be carrying their poo poo like this:

Further reading: https://unofficialnetworks.com/2012/11/16/carrying-skis-properly-lesson-idiots/

I hope this post was educational
Yeah, it's this. When you're carrying four pairs of skis around, you learn how to do it as efficiently as possible.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

kiimo posted:

Has anyone skied the alps? I'm curious what the border crossing is like from Germany to Austria. Like, I'm wondering if I should stay in a place that is in Austria and ski in Germany or if that will be a pain in the rear end.

Something something Eagle's Nest, something something James Bond goggles.

There's no border at all, but you'll need toll stickers for both countries.

But I mean, why would you do that? If you're staying in Austria, ski in Austria. They have some very good ski resorts.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Personally, I wouldn't do it for just staying in a specific hotel. There are hotels in Garmisch that are also good, I'm sure. It would be way more of a pain in the rear end than staying less than a 30 minute drive from the ski hill for sure, and I don't know what the parking situation is like in Garmisch.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
First powder day of the season, Blackcomb Gondola breaks down, everyone goes to the Whistler gondola and the lineup reached the bus loop LOL.

Glad I was a bit sick and decided to wait until Thursday's better powder day instead.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

apparently Nordic skiers consistently have the highest vo2 max of any athletes

i totally believe it because it is loving relentless

My mom, who was a nordic skier when she was younger, but never professionally, just like did it on weekends and went to Finland to do races that were like 200km long got her v02 max tested at one of those professional facilities once before she moved to Canada and scored in the high 50s.

Cross country skiers are ridiculous and insane.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The market sure thinks so:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I just get up super early and have a nap after skiing so it's like I get to sleep twice and nothing feels better than a nap after a day of shredding.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Heavy rain and 105kph winds (+gusts!) sure sounds like a fun time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Winds apparently hit 190kph at the summit here today in Whistler; basically all the chairs went on wind hold haha.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sorry, dude. That sucks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If my husband and I are both going up I'll say we're going skiing, even though he snowboards. I generally only refer to snowboarding as "skiing" in that context though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

I'm going to be in Bratislava and Vienna in a few weeks for work and I'll have two days free. Thinking about skiing, but unsure where. I will be in Vienna when I get free, so looking more at skiing in Austria than Slovakia. I have absolutely no idea what is feasible, but wondering if anyone here was knowledgeable about that part of the world.

I'd definitely do Austria, skiing in Austria is just super cool in a "this is where this sport is the most insane" sort of way. Vienna is still like at least 100km from the alps, so you'd be best off taking a train the night you first get off so you can sleep where you want to be and start skiing straight away the next day.

If you're going to be there the weekend of Kitzbuhel, 100% go to there, ski and watch the greatest spectacle in ski racing. Seeing WC races in Europe is just so different to doing it in America.

Other than that, I don't really know where to suggest, sorry. Hintertux is a pretty cool valley, but it's also very far from Vienna and you'd probably have a number of other places that are closer and easier to get to.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Good advice, but it sounds like they’re not teaching snowplow turns, so that’s good.
I mean sure but also stopping by shifting to the uphill ski screams "LESSONS! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TAKE A LESSON!"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I read that as two distinct things, 1) stopping, and 2) initiating a turn by committing to the uphill ski, but yeah lessons will help everyone.

Oh yeah I think my reading comprehension skills are balls today whoops.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dogeh posted:

On the cold -15C days, I wear mitts so I can throw those little hand warmers in there.
Disclosure: I ride so no need for poles!

You can still definitely wear mittens and carry ski poles.

I just throw those hand warmer things in the palm of my gloves since I don't have race mittens, and yeah what Sprowzek said. Soggy breath condensation that then freezes is the loving worst, so just do not put anything around your mouth.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh that makes sense, I might try that next time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We got 40cm of snow overnight, but literally snow at 0 - +1 degree celcius, so it's thick af, the winds are high, the mountain isn't opening, and a whole bunch of people are whining on Facebook that Vail won't let them go up and die in an avalanche in the world's thickest powder ever hahaha.

Like, I'm not one to defend Vail, but it's really not their fault they can't open much of the mountain right now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If Vail wouldn’t get sued to oblivion then I’d say just let them naturally select out of the population.

That was my suggestion on one of the Facebook posts, too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Weird overlap in the Venn diagram between people who would never venture into the backcountry and people who don’t respect inbounds closures.

I think it's more the people that don't understand that avy control is a thing that's done every single day and is most of the reason why people don't die every year going down The Saddle and instead just want to get in MAH POWDAH on blue runs straight away.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not a doctor but I think it's broken.

Good luck, dude.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you play your music from speakers you are a douche, sorry Razzled. No one wants to listen to your lovely music, put some headphones in.

Doesn't everywhere have singles lines now anyway? When I'm with someone else we specifically stay as two so we can get two singles in when the line is long.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Do you guys not have smoke shacks where you ski or…???
What's a smoke shack? Like, a place where people specifically go to smoke?

Not only is smoking banned on Whistler Blackcomb, it's also banned on the entire village stroll, ie. essentially the entire village. I'm actually surprised at how many people actually obey the ban, there's like no signs about it anywhere and yet I rarely see anyone smoking anywhere. I can't remember the last time I smelled smoke of either popular substance in the lift line. Though I have been in a couple gondolas that had obviously recently used as makeshift hotboxes haha.

Personally, I don't really care if people do it at all, although cigarette smoke irritates my throat super easily, so I appreciate those who go into the trees/off to the sides of runs to do it.

What's one trillion times worse than smoking in the lift line is the morons who drop their lit cigarettes off the chairs sightseeing in the summer in the middle of a forest that will probably quite literally go up in smoke one of these years.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156571770315041&set=a.10150595626420041&type=3&theater

This is a very important read. From Whistler a couple days ago.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In Australia once a liftie yelled at me because in a completely empty line (there were literally zero people behind me) I waited for a group of three to go up a quad so I could take the next chair by myself.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Personally I prefer Icebreaker to Smartwool, but I appear to be in the minority.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's amazing how much Vail has actually been loving up really basic poo poo here. I'm pretty sure we're only a couple seasons away from Rob Katz being burned in effigy by drunk locals on Canada Day.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Haha what the gently caress who makes fun of people for that?

spwrozek posted:

Investors might beat them to it with what has happened to the stock price.
Good. I take great glee in our mountain being one of the two to gently caress it up for them. How the gently caress do you manage to get fewer visits when the USD is at like $1.35?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah my freeskiing poles are like 5cm too short and one of them is bent at like a 30 degree angle.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Normally my facebook feed is full of people at Whistler this time of year...I've seen 1 so far and that was a company event. Guess the day trippers did spend a significant amount of coin there.

Yeah, while traffic is always a shitshow on Friday/Sunday nights, it kind of feels like it's been less of a shitshow than usual (and Saturday nights are only kind of awful), so I think the number of daytrippers has dropped significantly.

I hope when there's a global recession and all the Americans/Mexicans stop coming to Whistler the day trippers keep going to Manning or Baker or wherever they're going now, not because I hate them, but because Vail doesn't deserve to be bailed out by them like they were in 2008.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

I've only ever gotten poo poo once for my poles, and that was one of my coworkers jokingly loving with me over the pole I bent getting off a lift. How much do ~expensive~ poles even cost nowadays?
Leki race poles retail at $169.99 CDN right now for the standard ones. Carbon are like $250.

My current pair of GS poles (Leki carbons) cost me $25 from someone who either stole or won a pair and put them on the local buy and sell LOL.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I do live near a mountain, but the local buy/sell FB group.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not going to be super helpful because the things you describe are just a normal part of wearing race boots, but from what I understand snowboard boots are always going to be warmer than ski boots and I know for a fact they are always going to be more comfortable.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mr Newsman posted:

Yeah that's the third option is that I just need to HTFU.

Or buy some heated socks.

Heated socks are great, I have some that I use for the colder days. They don't really keep my feet actively warm, but they do stop them from completely losing feeling after ten minutes when it's super cold out.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think I'd rather stab myself than not wear ski socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TMMadman posted:

Don't forget about us guys with big calves. My boots caused a little soreness/coldness issues 2 years ago (and then I missed a season) but I didn't have any issues so far with them this season. I don't even remember if I popped the top buckles while having lunch on the second day.
Do your boots have removable spoilers for big calves? My race boots came with them, but they're removable generally for women because our shorter legs mean the calves become an issue. Mine were taken out because of that, but it might solve your problem, too.

Disinterested posted:

I ski in a race boot all day every day for everything and I get numbness on a mildly cold day. I routinely open every buckle and the strap for lifts in that situation. I wear ultra thins, and there's a fair amount of customisation going on inside the boot for me. I have heaters.

I have heard of people not wearing a sock to try to make a very tight boot viable, and it is a thing people can do until the liner gets packed more. The issue is the liner will become disgusting in short order. Better off heating the liner and wearing the boot with your foot in it indoors to try to pack it faster; no sock in a boot is not a long term solution because you'll just ruin your liner.

High five minus-five-celcius-is-frostbite-weather race boot buddy!