Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Moey posted:

Decided to stay at home and grill instead of fighting the crowds today.

https://youtu.be/M11SvDtPBhA

Dox, you make it?

Bit late to this, but ended up in line at the top of Loveland Pass at 7:30am and was super confused— was not mentally prepared for that kind of day and party. Ended up just turning around 5min later with my buddy and hung by the pool all day. Was disappointing, but overall was an incredible season in Colorado— over 80 days on skis and plenty of them deep powder days!

Getting excited about all this Australia and Patagonia pow i’ve been seeing too... anyone in the thread venturing down there this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season?

Going to be hard to beat last year in Colorado: over 80 days for me... a good chunk of them amazing pow days.

I'm hoping to start exploring the backcountry responsibly and getting a feel for the uphill.

The goal after this season is moving west from the front range- the driving is going to kill me.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Disinterested posted:

Highpoints of my season

Jealous- my powdercats trip was cancelled on the 16th :(

Have been wanting to get the girlfriend and I a touring setup... had planned on it before the pandemic. Pretty bummed out, really just want to get out there away from the crowds and touring seems like the best option but I don't have a touring setup or my AIARE 1 yet. At this point it just feels just irresponsible.

Seeing the videos from yesterday on Loveland Pass with hoards of people gathering seems to confirm it

dox
Mar 4, 2006
It's been fun at A Basin!

https://i.imgur.com/Q8ma7Uy.mp4

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Partner landed a job and we're moving to Steamboat, could not be more excited! Now onto the next challenge... finding housing.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This might be a silly question, but can someone let me know what the standard lift hours are at Beaver Creek? For some reason I can't find this information on their website, and I am trying to figure out what days I want to "reserve" when the early reservation system opens up, and since my son may be with me I am trying to figure out how much time he would have between online school ending and the last lift closing. Like, if they close at 5 then I will be able to get a lot of skiing in with him on the weekdays, but if they close at 3:30 I will need to make sure to schedule a few weekends instead. Any of the resorts in the Colorado area west of Denver do night skiing?

I believe 9-4, and later on in the season they do 8:30-4. Scheduling a few weekends sounds smart. There are only a handful of places that do public night skiing that I am aware of: Steamboat, Keystone, and Echo Mountain (Wednesday-Saturday). Despite never having been, I'd recommend Echo Mountain if you're just skiing with your young son.

dox fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 29, 2020

dox
Mar 4, 2006

spwrozek posted:

^ He is staying at beaver creek for a month so no real reason to consider driving to Echo and paying.

I want to say they close at 3:30 a lot but it might be 4 more often. Your only choice for night skiing is going to be Keystone. I can't recommend it though. They will have a calendar out soonish so you can see the hours though as it changes each day.

E: the cookies are at 3:30 so you want to stop riding then to get free cookies.

Also what time zone you coming from? if school is done at say 3 eastern he would be good to go for the afternoons.

Ah, missed that he was staying up that way.

Unfortunately, 3pm cookie time is cancelled this year :(

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/beaver-creek-cancels-cookie-time-resort-says-physical-distancing-is-impossible/

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Eejit posted:

But climate change isn't real?

E looking forward to doing avy 1 on dirt

mines booked for second weekend of december with CMC in Estes... I'm screwed

dox
Mar 4, 2006
On Sunday, Steamboat was entirely wind blown cement, hopping from ice-dry turn to knee-deep turn... exhilarating. I think this morning was probably better quality.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

How long until a-basin opens up more runs usually? Seems like there's been some snow over the past week or so.

Really just depends on conditions- if we aren't getting a lot of snow and temps aren't dropping low enough, it can take a bit. If I recall correctly from years past, they'll work on Ramrod next and then to the top via Lenawee after.

Temps look to be dropping into the 20s at night, so I presume they are able to blow snow as long as they have the water- have you seen where the snow guns are setup?

The forecast next week looks great, potentially snowing nearly every day!

Only 23 days until we open... hoping it just keeps snowing!

dox
Mar 4, 2006
https://www.westword.com/news/bould...tgZybgAbwyY7q0I

Brutal what has happened at Eldora this year- 5 deaths, 5 different runs... This was my home mountain for my first 5 years of skiing, got 40+ days there every year, super sad to see. I feel really bad for the patrol. It makes me wonder how many ski areas do not report deaths...

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Winter Park becoming a viable option! :getin:

Hopefully Steamboat opens up a bit more. We're supposed to do New Years there and they only have 8 trails open. :ohdear:

Seeing this a few days late, but things have opened up considerably since the last storm on Thursday when they first opened past the gondi- first four points, then storm peak, eventually priest creek area as well... still not everything, and plenty of dirt/rocks on the trails today. This storm forecast looks incredible though, nearly 50" forecasted through the new year-- we're absolutely stoking over here!

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Made it to Steamboat just in time for the massive snow to hit! :getin:

Anyone have any favorite runs here?

The Ridge is skiing nicely, Christmas Bowl still isn't open... everything is starting to fill in well in Closets and Shadows, but there are still some thin spots down low. This 8-day storm cycle really has delivered much more than the report has shown.

If you're still around this week, I can meet ya on the hill-- forecast starting Tuesday/Wednesday looks fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Gonna be in Steamboat next week and it looks like 3/4 days in there are gonna solid powder days with the storm coming through. Any ideal places for a first timer?

Happy to show you around if you're still in town- conditions this year have been all-time... we just passed last years snowfall with this past storm and it's only January!