Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
Problem description: I use a MacBook Pro for work. I work from home, but I travel at-least once a month, which is why I use MacBook and not a desktop. For the majority of time, I keep the MacBook Pro lid closed and plugged into a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Every morning I have to open and close the clamshell to wake the computer. All my windows are jacked up from the resolution change. What is the correct method to wake from my external mouse and keyboard? Yes, I want to use a laptop as a desktop.

Attempted fixes: My power adaptor configuration is:

Turn off display after 30 minutes
Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off [Checked]
Put hard disks to sleep when possible [Checked]
Wake for Wi-Fi network access [Checked]
Enable Power Nap while plugged into a power adaptor [Checked]

Recent changes: None, machine is fairly new, replacing an older MacPro cheese grater.

--

Operating system: macOS Mojave v 10.14

System specs:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHZ DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4069 MB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

How good are you with Terminal?

The pmset binary should let you change the sleep settings for lid close and the like. I’ll take a look tomorrow and post a few commands you can try.

• Locked thread