Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Would Comets on Fire be applicable to this thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dcwqbHMXWw

Sadly, they're no longer around but their final LP was pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Rzi8pt6QU

Ben Chasny from Comets on Fire also does Six Organs of Admittance which is more psych-folk. They have a fairly exhaustive discography, so I'm not even really sure what would be best to link from that side of his work.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Love me some Black Mountain! They were really good live.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

precision posted:

Whatever happened to the alleged third Olivia Tremor Control album they were talking about a few years ago

I wonder if Bill Doss passing away put that thing on hold permanently?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

Black Mountain is always going to be about Bright Lights for me …

[links to really good Black Mountain tracks]

I like the new singles I've heard! "Boogie Lover" has a pretty tight groove.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

me your dad posted:

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother [Live, Montreux] (1970)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHdsaA7EezU

The live stuff they released on those compilation albums is easily some of my favorite Floyd. There's a killer "Echoes" on one of those as well.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Here's a brief injection of life to the thread - Already Gone by Wooden Shjips.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=RDQqlzORBNAcg&v=xN0bkvD7SaA

It's from the album V. which is very excellent from beginning to end. This group has been slowly creeping into my playlists on Spotify.

Another recent band that's been getting lots of air time in my house is Sleepy Sun. I got into them through the song Seaquest: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hzlGiLg5Rn0

If you dig on Wooden Shjips (and I very much do) then you will probably like Moon Duo. Not super noise, but they lean far into the mellow psychedelia.

Channeling the Stoner Doom thread ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrkzB8VcEXM

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

precision posted:

the new Spiritualized record is deffo the best thing he's done since LAGWAFIS

only 7 songs and 40 minutes so it feels short, but nonetheless, it's good to have a J Spaceman joint that only has one mediocre song on it again

I caught them at the Austin show on their short tour. Blistering and the new tracks were crazy good live. I agree with this statement.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

precision posted:

gonna aim for going to the Pitchfork fest this year and see em there.

i know NMD is extremely dead but closer to July i'll make a thread for the P4k fest, would be nice to do one last goonmeet before WW3

You definitely owe us a trip report if you make it their set.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Levitation has always had some FIRE lineups over the years, but having to spend a whole weekend in Austin to see bands is rough. At least you can buy tickets to the individual shows. GY!BE and LPD are playing here around that time so at least I can see some of that action in my own town.

GY!BE should be good, and the Dots are always fun although I feel like nothing will capture the magic of the first time I saw them when they had the Silverman with them. The shows I've seen since are just the three of them and it's pretty much weird psychedelic hobbit shuffling around stage with weird keyboard sounds.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Snowy posted:

Not to mention the fact that a chance of rain will cancel the whole thing. It happened a few years back when I went, right before it was supposed to start. They were afraid of flash floods but there wasn’t a drop of rain.

Luckily we made a great last minute camping trip out of it but unless they moved it I wouldn’t go again

GOOD NEWS! The last few Levitation's have been a musical festival that is spread across 4-5 venues in Austin! Why make the trip to one remote location to do your think in the woods and get face melted by walls of sound when you can make the trip to a busy city and see bands spread across different venues! Bands you want to see the same night, but different spots? Hopefully they're close.

Most of them are, but I think Hotel Vegas is a decent walk from Stubb's.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

precision posted:

same, but i know it's just literally never gonna happen. Jason doesn't need it to happen, because there are probably a LOT more people who want to see Spiritualized live than who want to see Spacemen 3

i could see a reunion for a festival, but that would require them to want to do it, and as far as i know Jason and Sonic have not said a single word to each other since like 1990

I would absolutely not turn down a chance to see Spacemen3 live, but I'm also not even going to try and pretend that I enjoy their songs more than Jason's work under the Spiritualized moniker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Snowy posted:

It’s just a matter of preference of course but Spacemen 3 are miles ahead for me. Also the two times I saw Spiritualized were easily some of the most unimpressive shows I’ve ever seen so that’s coloring my opinion even though I know it was probably bad luck.

Yeah, that could definitely be a few bad runs for you, which is unfortunate. I'm probably bathing in bias but I've seen them maybe 5 or 6 times and it's never been underwhelming. Still, I owe it to myself to dive into more Spacemen 3 on the regular. I only have Dreamweapon (which I DEEPLY enjoy) and Perfect Prescription on vinyl, but all their stuff is on spotify ripe for streaming. I have enjoyed the live stuff that's available. I need to give the studio material more love.