Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it set in modern times? I thought it was set in the past.

I believe they're doing the Riverdale thing of being purposefully vague on the date so it is more timeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it set in modern times? I thought it was set in the past.

It's at least 1996, and Ambrose had a laptop... so could be anyones guess.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The comic it's based on is a period piece, but the setting of this is meant to be more timeless. The biggest giveaway I've seen so far that it's not set in the 60s is that Ambrose namedrops Gaiman, Morrison, and Moore as his favorite comic writers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can science it to 69, 75, 80, 86, 97, 03, 08 and 2014.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jean Eric Burn posted:

The good actors on this show make the bad actors look REAL BAD.

I dunno. I think the worst of them (I'd say that it's probably the actor who plays Ambrose) is at least basically fine. There's some very good performances going on, though, yeah. Particularly from the adults.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Rocksicles posted:

It's at least 1996, and Ambrose had a laptop... so could be anyones guess.

Ambrose has a 17" E series Dell from 2009, and there's an iphone 7 plus in one scene. But overall it's vaguely timeless like Archer.

I just finished it today. Not pumped about the last scene, but otherwise really liked it. It was ultra cheesy at times, and definitely isn't "high TV" like Mindhunter or something, but was very enjoyable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it does a bit of the Harry Potter thing where witch society is really backwards and tends to have retro furnishings because they're so long-lived, rely on magic as much as technology, and don't fix what ain't broke. And Greendale is implied to be a pretty conservative area.

The whole thing about Sabrina being infinitely more intelligent, capable and self-aware than your average teen protagonist actually seems to ring really true to what I've seen of the comics (which, at least early on, often play up how inhuman catches can be and are expected to be), and also that she can still easily find herself in over her head when it comes to the magical world where she's only a teenager. She's got a bit of a Dr Strange thing going on; in her own stories she's frequently up against long odds, but to everyone else she's an intelligent and powerful witch with real magical powers who can do things that even extraordinary mortals can't imagine.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 28, 2018

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I just finished the series. I'm certain I heard them mention Riverdale in one of the last 3 episodes. I also saw a guy carrying an Archie comic into Hilda's shop before she put some magic potion into his coffee. What's the connection between these two shows?

NowonSA posted:

I caught the first few episodes before skipping ahead to the finale since I never have self-control when all the episodes are available at once on stuff like Netflix.
The gently caress is this?

e: Ah https://www.etonline.com/chilling-adventures-of-sabrina-boss-explains-that-shocking-confusing-riverdale-cameo-exclusive

They share an executive producer: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. Also, I never knew they came from the same comic universe.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Riverdale was mentioned in episode 1 or 2 as well, when they're leading the boys into the mines. The executive producer, Sacasa, also basically invented Riverdale the TV show and Chilling Adventures. In fact, the latter is a comic he wrote, as I mentioned earlier. He also wrote a great legit horror title, not campy at all, Afterlife With Archie, which starts off as a zombie invasion in Riverdale (initiated, appropriately enough, by Sabrina) but quickly escalates into... other kinds of horror. Both those comics kinda went on the backburner after he went all in on Riverdale and Sabrina, but I'm still hoping he at the very least does his idea of having some noncanon Riverdale episodes that loosely adapt Afterlife.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The thing about Feast of Feasts didn't quite make sense, it's an annual tradition where fourteen witch families are chosen and one witch sacrifices themselves. But there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of witches in their coven, we never see more then twenty or so at once. So killing one each year doesn't seem sustainable.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Oasx posted:

The thing about Feast of Feasts didn't quite make sense, it's an annual tradition where fourteen witch families are chosen and one witch sacrifices themselves. But there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of witches in their coven, we never see more then twenty or so at once. So killing one each year doesn't seem sustainable.

Plus it's kinda weird that Sabrina didn't seem to know about it at all. But I'd chalk that up as exposition.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The show's intro does have comics Sabrina appear with Archie briefly showing up on the TV screen in the background. But yeah, Archie, Sabrina, and Josie and the Pussycats all originate from the same loosely connected comics. (Archie generally has a much looser sense of continuity than other comics have shackled themselves to, with a lot of spinoffs and theoretical endings in alternate timelines and such, let alone stuff like Afterlife with Archie or the crossovers)

Also, points on the vague timeline note: the mines seem waaaay old-fashioned and seriously outdated compared to the industrialised and mechanised complex you'd expect any modern mine to be. I can believe that the mines are very, very old, but I don't think you typically have wooden supports and individual miners going down into the tunnels with just pickaxes.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 28, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Oasx posted:

Weakest episode by far.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Caught the first two eps before bed last night, it’s raining all day here so going to have a duvet day and binge the rest with my boyfriend today. Perfect show for days like this.

Really really impressed with just how good it all is. Was expecting it to be the same dumb fun empty calories as Riverdale, but man, this is great.

Also, I love the background score whenever Sabrina and Harvey have a cute scene together. Reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks James/Donna scenes.

The first five minutes of episode one, from the cinema, to the kids hanging out at the bookstore cafe, to Harvey and Sabrina on the doorstep, to Sabrina dancing on the stairs is a masterclass of how to establish a show’s tone off the bat.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 28, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Matinee posted:

The first five minutes of episode one, from the cinema, to the kids hanging out at the bookstore cafe, to Harvey and Sabrina on the doorstep, to Sabrina dancing on the stairs is a masterclass of how to establish a show’s tone off the bat.

Are you including the cutaways involving the teacher getting possessed? 'Cause I don't normally care much for tone arguments, but I thought that cut from Sabrina dancing on the stairs to her teacher getting murdered was jarring in a bad way.

Generally I think the horror beats aren't all that great here -- they're light action fare, but the show's fairly inconsistent in how it'll approach them.

(e.g.episode six the hauntings by the possessed guy are campy as poo poo, and now I've remembered them I now have a new candidate for worst performance in the show.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The demons on this show are all hamming it right the hell up.

Interestingly, a lot about Sabrina's role and backstory is starting to remind me of some versions of Merlin; a child baptised before their soul could be promised to the Dark Lord, given the powers of a witch but the freedom to use it for the good of others, and standing outside both the paths of dark and light to do what she considers best.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Are you including the cutaways involving the teacher getting possessed?

drat, I’d misremembered. Thought those bits all happened after what I’d mentioned. Hm. I take your point, but the scene on the road didn’t seem too egregious at that point to me. Just flagging up ‘yeah, there’s gonna be some spooky poo poo going on’.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Matinee posted:

drat, I’d misremembered. Thought those bits all happened after what I’d mentioned. Hm. I take your point, but the scene on the road didn’t seem too egregious at that point to me. Just flagging up ‘yeah, there’s gonna be some spooky poo poo going on’.

Yeah, I think it's a shame, because otherwise I think you're absolutely right. There's some really awesome stuff in the way those sequences are written and shot, very old school 80's character introductions. I liked that a lot.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm quite enjoying this so far. So far my favorite character is Susie.

(Actor and character direction spoilers from interviews, nothing related to the story)
Lachlan Watson, who plays her, is non-binary and interviews have indicated that that is where her story is headed. Or, at least in that general direction. That can go well or horribly wrong. Either way I'll be entertained.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hilda seemed so familiar all the time. It's been a while since Shaun of the Dead, hasn't it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Spellmans are fancy, they have golden cutlery for special occasions.

(IIRC, gold isn't just super fancy but actually a very good material for cutlery; it's sterile, maintains a pleasant temperature, and soft enough to possibly reduce of risk of chipping teeth)

ED: also contributing to the vaguely period piece note; is it just me or does the ambulance that shows up in episode 1x8 look like the Ecto-Mobile, which iirc was a modified 70s ambulance/hearse?

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 28, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Didn't expect so much grief for my skipping ahead, though I certainly see where everyone's coming from on that. I'll sometimes skip around on books and the like as well, just kind of how I do things occasionally.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watched the first episode, very distracted by the strange camera blur, like the whole thing would be a feverish vision or dream in another show or movie. I guess that might be the exact intention, but drat. Looks like they threw on a lensbaby toy lens.

Expect I'll get used to it though, I like how it toes a line between comedic and serious, over the top and grounded.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

1v8: My first thought on seeing the two-headed snail is that snails are hermaproditic, but the true comedy option to be is Blackwood is blessed with brothers... Venture Brothers.

Also, seems fitting that Sabrina is absolutely no one to gently caress with when threatened, no matter who you are. She knows her goal and is getting started ASAP.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hilda seemed so familiar all the time. It's been a while since Shaun of the Dead, hasn't it.

The British mam we all wish we had.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Me, ten minutes in: 'Oh, so this is totally a different show in tone from Riverdale'

And the intro wasn't super spooky and intense because it's late October now. Alright.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

1x9 beginning: We're going all Pet Semetary with this, aren't we?

Also, this show is totally evidence towards my thesis that being devoutly Catholic is the highest form of being goth.

It says something that at least according to TVtropes, this is one of the more heroic versions of the Spellman clan so far to date.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 28, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I've only seen the first two episodes and I'll probably watch at least two more to see if it hooks, but I don't get how people can think the first two episodes were good. The teen angst/drama is turned up to 11 and is just ridiculous instead of being relatable or realistic. And Sabrina treats the whole lead up to her birthday like the TV show whereas the entire backstory as presented in this Netflix series seems to imply the first second of episode 3 should be the mass slaughter of her friends followed by torture until she breaks and signs the book. It's very disjointed and disappointing to see Sabrina act like this is a teen drama in the world of a grim hidden world horror flick.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I have watched one episode and I hated it.

But it gets amazing reviews - what am I missing here? Should I watch more? What should I be appreciating/looking for if I do?

I'll probably do Episode 2 out of curiosity, but rather than be all negative I thought I should ask people who like it why they like it, and try to see that in the show, to give it a proper second chance.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

It has but also the actor, Lucy Davis, lost years of her career to bulimia so I think shes reached a stage where she's happy with who she is.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

simplefish posted:

But it gets amazing reviews - what am I missing here? Should I watch more? What should I be appreciating/looking for if I do?

I didn’t like episode 1, I thought it was forced and over the top and badly paced. Episode 2 was much better and now I’m on board as of episode 3.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, this show and Riverdale are weird. First episode, Ambrose- who I thought was going to be a woman from that picture in the OP and his name- is on a laptop and now in the second episode they're in the library looking up books with Dewey Decimal System cards from a drawer.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ccs posted:

I didn’t like episode 1, I thought it was forced and over the top and badly paced. Episode 2 was much better and now I’m on board as of episode 3.

Cool, what changed your mind?

Random blurry fringes in some shots aside, was it the lens you looked at it through that changed, or the show itself - and if so, how?

I came at this with heavy Nostalgia* baggage. I would like to watch it (and enjoy it) like people who enjoy it watch it.

*with a capital N

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, this show and Riverdale are weird. First episode, Ambrose- who I thought was going to be a woman from that picture in the OP and his name- is on a laptop and now in the second episode they're in the library looking up books with Dewey Decimal System cards from a drawer.

I don't mind this.

If you ever watched Luther (with Idris Elba) then all the cars they drive are from the 1970s or early 80s. Mobile Phones are never the answer to the plot and are only included when anyone with half a brain would go "why don't they just send a text to xyz...?" So they show that avenue wouldn't work for however they script it. They only ever use old Nokias even then.

Archer has been brought up too but Luther has more continuity.

So I can get on board with everyone driving old cars, while laptops exist, while needing to use a card catalogue, as long as those things are neither plot crucial or plot exclusive.

It helps remove the modernity concerns from the human interaction focus so can be worth writing it that way.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 28, 2018

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

RareAcumen posted:

Lots of schools still have the old card catalogs, putting an entire library into a computerized system is doable but costs money. Why get rid of something that works?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

simplefish posted:

I don't mind this.

If you ever watched Luther (with Idris Elba) then all the cars they drive are from the 1970s or early 80s. Mobile Phones are never the answer to the plot and are only included when anyone with half a brain would go "why don't they just send a text to xyz...?" So they show that avenue wouldn't work for however they script it. They only ever use old Nokias even then.

Archer has been brought up too but Luther has more continuity.

So I can get on board with everyone driving old cars, while laptops exist, while needing to use a card catalogue, as long as those things are neither plot crucial or plot exclusive

seaborgium posted:

Lots of schools still have the old card catalogs, putting an entire library into a computerized system is doable but costs money. Why get rid of something that works?

Hmmm, my post may have been a bit too curt. I didn't mean to imply that I was taken out of it by that or anything. Just that this show is weird just like Riverdale and it's malt shop that functions as the only restaurant in town and club and such. I was already looking forward to the show since I've maybe read about four or five of those smaller-than-a-pamphlet Archie books and I had no idea what goes on with Sabrina et all so I was interested just based on Riverdale having two pretty good seasons. Haven't started on the third yet, wanna to wait on more episodes to tear into.

Tl;dr: It was just a thing I thought was kinda goofy, it's not killing my sense of disbelief or anything, just wanted to point out something that made me chuckle.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Hmmm, my post may have been a bit too curt. I didn't mean to imply that I was taken out of it by that or anything. Just that this show is weird just like Riverdale and it's malt shop that functions as the only restaurant in town and club and such. I was already looking forward to the show since I've maybe read about four or five of those smaller-than-a-pamphlet Archie books and I had no idea what goes on with Sabrina et all so I was interested just based on Riverdale having two pretty good seasons. Haven't started on the third yet, wanna to wait on more episodes to tear into.

Tl;dr: It was just a thing I thought was kinda goofy, it's not killing my sense of disbelief or anything, just wanted to point out something that made me chuckle.

I wasn't getting at you, it's a legitimate question in most TV.

But when it's "form over substance" that can either derail a show or enhance character focus, it merits questioning. Look at Star Trek, the Form is generally loved but when Substance is called on in some episodes to save the day (but never again, or worse, in a contradictory fashion) the fans hate it. Because the substance has been shown to be plot critical.

To elaborate, does the Federation use money? Sometimes being able to pay for things or not helps or hinders their mission. Other times, it's background world-feel or character touchstones that the Federation represents humans who have moved idealistically beyond currency. Well, which is it? Does money exist or not? One disqualifies the other.

But when well-written, the form (ie the specific time period) can be split off and used for "general feel" without inhibiting the general plot or character development.

Luther's answer (and I think Sabrina's, my lack of experience with it aside) seems to be astute writing around it, so it never becomes an issue. Archer goes the route of being too fast-moving to be bogged down, and too absurd as to expect a continuous world, to get around it.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 28, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

nessin posted:

I've only seen the first two episodes and I'll probably watch at least two more to see if it hooks, but I don't get how people can think the first two episodes were good. The teen angst/drama is turned up to 11 and is just ridiculous instead of being relatable or realistic. And Sabrina treats the whole lead up to her birthday like the TV show whereas the entire backstory as presented in this Netflix series seems to imply the first second of episode 3 should be the mass slaughter of her friends followed by torture until she breaks and signs the book. It's very disjointed and disappointing to see Sabrina act like this is a teen drama in the world of a grim hidden world horror flick.

The first two or so episodes do lean into the teen melodrama but they manage to weave it into the magical aspects of the show so it becomes interesting. At least that's how I felt.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Watched six episodes. Episode 1 was a fine intro but I was not feeling it until ep 5, which I loved and was what I expected going in from this show (although I've never read the comics). Like, I could not care less about not-Hogwarts and a half-blood fulfilling destiny UGH, just give me some more of that dark humor/horror vibe, let Sabrina find her way, and have the real world and supernatural slowly intersect
Complaints:
Some pretty cliche and boring characters:
-The mean jock football team... how original but seeing them get their come uppance was great. That said, it's kind of nulled by them (presumably) being a one-and-done Moral of the Week thing that have not been mentioned since. Wow, we solved bullying!.
-Of course Harvey's dad is a single father who just wants his son to work in the mines instead of ~pursuing his art dreams~. Every time he is on screen all I can think is "it's merMAN... merMAN".
-The Mean Girls Plastics Witches / not-Draco Malfoy and crew. Boring and uninteresting, I can not be bothered to learn their names. Laughed at Sabrina and Prudence getting into an altercation at Hogwarts in ep4 and everyone else in the dormitory chanting "fight! fight!"
-Nick Scratch. Not interested in having a real world vs supernatural world relationship triangle and omg who will Sabrina pick
I'm still not sold on how they are setting up some of the gender narrative to be explored, specifically on the supernatural side:
Specifically, ep 4(?) Wardwell tells Faustus that men are about brute force and women more sly; that's really lazy imo. I preferred the way American Horror Story's Coven went about it rather than this Seems like they are still trying to figure out how they want to set it up here for future exploration: maybe they will explore problems with men in charge (Faustus, the Dark Lord) despite women being more populous? Just put witches in charge and make satan a more nebulous, inhuman deity

That said, I think Sabrina and Ambrose are phenomenal characters and well-acted. Ms. Wardwell is stealing the show though, she's hamming it up and I love it. In ep 4 when she decides to scry on Sabrina, sees she's just having a teenage relationship talk and nopes out or in ep 5 when she is going through everyone's dreams were great. The aunties started out one-note but are slowly being fleshed out and I'm starting to like them. I also like seeing how Sabrina's friends are slowly being introduced to the supernatural, I'm interested to see where that goes. I was about to stop after ep 4 but 5 and 6 have me on board, ready to finish this season out and interested where the next one goes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

simplefish posted:

I'll probably do Episode 2 out of curiosity, but rather than be all negative I thought I should ask people who like it why they like it, and try to see that in the show, to give it a proper second chance.

What didn't you like about it, out of interest?

On Nick Scratch: He has to be the devil in disguise, right? I mean, come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

FastestGunAlive posted:

Watched six episodes.

Pretty much all your complaints are adressed in the later part of the season.