Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Why is the actress having a cat alergy an issue, wouldn’t a talking cat have to be a puppet or cgi anyway?
You can power through cat allergies; I had pretty severe ones when I got my two little hellions but a couple solid weeks of downing Benadryl and stuffing my face into their bellies got me right fixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huh, that’s the scene I was thinking of. I think I got it confused.

Well once again I have no idea what Archie is. I feel like I vaguely remember there being plain black and white comic books (more book than comic book) in the checkout isles at grocery stores called Archie when I was younger but I would have never associated it with this show until I kept reading vague mentions to Archie in this thread. Anyway I’m fine with pretending there’s no backstory to this and just treating it like a new thing.

Something I was wondering, that isn’t really related to the show, was wether or not people in younger generations (say born after 2000s?) would even know what Sabrina the Teenage Witch was. I vaguely remember when I was young that it was a show but it wasn’t a cartoon so I didn’t care for it. I’m 30. Honestly if the shows character was named something else I would have also never made that connection.

The Archie comics can get pretty silly. They had a crossover with the Punisher of all things, and more recently kinda milked the crack crossover well dry. (Archie vs the Predator has a hilariously bugfuck ending)

There was a Sabrina cartoon in the 00s that had the same voice for Salem (he's also Norbert in Angry Beavers) that went for a while. Was pretty average.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was a Sabrina cartoon in the 00s that had the same voice for Salem (he's also Norbert in Angry Beavers) that went for a while. Was pretty average.

I think I saw that, Melissa Joan Hart voiced the aunts, and her younger sister played Sabrina.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Satanic angle to this is really amusing, given how Melissa Joan Hart went on from the sitcom to be a Christian fundie that stars in movies like God's Not Dead 2.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Christian moms haven’t come out against it yet but the show does have the Qanon Pizzagate people saying this show is Obama’s fault.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ccs posted:

The Christian moms haven’t come out against it yet but the show does have the Qanon Pizzagate people saying this show is Obama’s fault.

What possible threat to those chuds is this show? Are they complaining about all the Satan? Because there's a little bit of that in there.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Ccs posted:

The Christian moms are really falling asleep at the wheel nowadays. There really wasn't much backlash against Preacher, a show that had God dressed in a dog suit and you could pay to watch him get hosed by a painful dildo.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Whalley posted:

The Christian moms are really falling asleep at the wheel nowadays. There really wasn't much backlash against Preacher, a show that had God dressed in a dog suit and you could pay to watch him get hosed by a painful dildo.
Or a dangerously inbred messiah who humps peoples legs and writes his name on the wall in poo, for that matter.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Proteus Jones posted:

What possible threat to those chuds is this show? Are they complaining about all the Satan? Because there's a little bit of that in there.

This show features female empowerment, non-binary genders, rebellion against religious authority and yes the odd bit of Satan. It's no surprise that they hate it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

This show features female empowerment, non-binary genders, rebellion against religious authority and yes the odd bit of Satan. It's no surprise that they hate it.

You know what, none of those things even registered with me as things people would be upset about in a TV show. But then again, against all reason, I'm still an optimist at heart and I hang out with people who are happy to see positive representation like that.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The entire US government is fighting non binary and trans people right now. As in, literally defining them out of protection and stating that sexual harassment doesn't apply if you're not stereotypically male or female. Plus Mr. GEBTP and all that.

Redhats are all over this show and claiming conspiracy. It's sad and pathetic on the level of pizzagate but oof do some of them hate equality or any representation at all.

I wish the show had stayed a little more on explaining the morgue/funeral home operations, but that would have taken away valuable Satan worshipping and camp screentime, so it is what it is.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
Finished season 1 last night, I thought it was pretty solid. I really loved the last scene of season 1 because evil/super powerful Sabrina is much more interesting than old mortal loving Sabrina. However, I think season 2's arc is fairly easy to predict. Sabrina is full witch now and tight with the weird sisters so she will be somewhat evil for a little bit then go through a redemption arc and at the end of season 2 she'll sacrifice her power to save her friends. Or something like that. Maybe I'm underestimating the writers? Either way, I liked the show.

One question though, it felt odd that they abandoned the storyline regarding Connor, the witch who was murdered early on. It seemed like they were setting up a storyline that would introduce a witch hunter. As soon as Luke showed up I thought for sure he was a witch hunter, but apparently he is some important warlock - otherwise how did he get Blackwood to help Ambrose? Then Connor's parents "commit suicide" .. very suspicious. I read in this thread that they shot season 1 and 2 back to back? Maybe this storyline makes more sense when you watch the two seasons without interruption.

Boris Galerkin posted:

To the person who mentioned the feast thing being unsustainable they flat out said as much in the show. I think it was Sabrina who said it even, that they don't have the people to keep sacrificing. The story they told was that Sabrina's father stopped that practice allegedly because the Devil told him, but then the current High Priest reinstated it, also allegedly because the Devil told him. So either one of them is lying or both of them were lying.

Small correction: Sabrina's father stopped the practice because he said it was barbaric. Blackwood resumed it supposedly because the devil told him to, I think we are supposed to doubt whether or not that's actually true though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought he had a twin boy and a girl. Zelda took the girl because she was technically the first born and was worried she would be culled?

That's one thing I didn't like Why couldn't she lie and just say the boy was born first,?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

We watched Ep 1, I enjoyed it but the blurriness was giving me a headache and Sabrina was written way too much like a female Jughead. Hoping it picks up / eases off as it continues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

^burtle posted:

We watched Ep 1, I enjoyed it but the blurriness was giving me a headache and Sabrina was written way too much like a female Jughead. Hoping it picks up / eases off as it continues.

She stops narrating pretty quickly if that's your issue.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Skwirl posted:

That's one thing I didn't like Why couldn't she lie and just say the boy was born first,?

Magical carbon dating.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
The blur was really obnoxious to me after the first episode but I think it was reduced in subsequent episodes, or I just got used to it

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
They started using it more for supernatural dealings scenes, but clear focus for regular mortal life stuff.

It was pretty heavy the first two or three episodes, yeah. Like, any outdoor scene had it. Also I could swear the aspect ratio was a little weird the first few episodes: everyone was stretched vertically just a bit and it threw me off.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Gawker scifi crew got access in exchange for a constant drumbeat of previews/hype/stories.

One of them (that I can't be arsed to find while phoneposting) was an interview with the set designer who acknowledged that many interior walls were just slightly off square, intentionally, so as to create an unsettling sense for the viewer.

It's not dissimilar to the first season of Mr Robot that accomplished the same goal with unusual framing of people in conversations. In this case, building it physically would (I imagine) make it easier on the camera crew, but trades off the ability to shoot it straight in order to lull viewers into a false sense of security.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
A neat thing I noticed: when they're giving Sabrina a tour of the unseen academy, they tell her that each room is a perfect regards pentagon, each sharing all its walls with its neighbors. A nice, semi-structured "this place is Not Right/Of Earth".

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Test Pattern posted:

A neat thing I noticed: when they're giving Sabrina a tour of the unseen academy, they tell her that each room is a perfect regards pentagon, each sharing all its walls with its neighbors. A nice, semi-structured "this place is Not Right/Of Earth".

I like this one, because it only works if you know regular pentagons don't tessellate, or try to work it out.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

OB_Juan posted:

I like this one, because it only works if you know regular pentagons don't tessellate, or try to work it out.

I feel like a spectacular dumbass for nodding along to this going "oh cool that makes sense!" and just now discovering this.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Who is the actor that plays the dark lord in episode 5?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

QuoProQuid posted:

More on that, (E10) everyone in her family tells her how badly she hosed up and how they aren’t going to help her fulfill a fundamentally greedy wish. She then gets a mortal’s soul devoured, almost kills a witch, alienates her family from witch society, and traumatizes Harvey’s family so badly that he breaks up with her and his dad slips into alcoholism.

It’s actually pretty remarkable how severe and direct the consequences are. Sabrina assumes she can play the system as she has done all season and then the collective weight of her mistakes fall on top of her in the final two episodes.

I agree with this, though I don't think Shipka does a very good job of selling those consequences. In general I found her to be pretty wooden but especially with this. One tear trickling down a cheek when Harvey said he didn't want to talk to her for a while was just baffling.

Finished, and overall thought it was alright overall. The first half of the season was not good, and I only stuck with it because my wife liked it. Second half was much better though.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

remigious posted:

Who is the actor that plays the dark lord in episode 5?

Wasn't it Richard Coyle, who also plays Blackwood? Considering how devout Zelda is to both the Dark Lord and Blackwood, it makes sense that she would combine their images in her dreams.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Robot Style posted:

Wasn't it Richard Coyle, who also plays Blackwood? Considering how devout Zelda is to both the Dark Lord and Blackwood, it makes sense that she would combine their images in her dreams.

I thought so :)

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I finished episode 4 last night and while overall I enjoy it one particular thing is bugging me.

I found it weird how Zelda seems to have no issues apparently regularly murdering her sister but feels bad for putting her through the Harrowing. Zelda's character so far feels weird and out of place and I'm not sure how the rest of the family tolerates her. Well, Hilda I can understand because that seems to be a pretty hosed up and abusive relationship. I'm actually having trouble pinning down the morals of anyone involved in the magical world, even Sabrina, though she's definitely the most consistent so far outside of the villains. And Salem.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for Van Helsing, Blade, and Abraham Lincoln to appear in the next season.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Viridiant posted:

I finished episode 4 last night and while overall I enjoy it one particular thing is bugging me.

I found it weird how Zelda seems to have no issues apparently regularly murdering her sister but feels bad for putting her through the Harrowing. Zelda's character so far feels weird and out of place and I'm not sure how the rest of the family tolerates her. Well, Hilda I can understand because that seems to be a pretty hosed up and abusive relationship. I'm actually having trouble pinning down the morals of anyone involved in the magical world, even Sabrina, though she's definitely the most consistent so far outside of the villains. And Salem.

Later on they go into exactly how Hilda comes back from the dead and it isn't really something everyone has access to. Also the next episode gives some insight into Zelda's thoughts.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

RareAcumen posted:

I can't wait for Van Helsing, Blade, and Abraham Lincoln to appear in the next season.

I would legitimately like for the second season to explore some the advantages of being a normal, non-Satan worshiper. Right now, being mortal seems to just the worst in the Riverdale universe.

(E10) Mortals are the only ones who can be damned to hell or get possessed by demons. If they die before their time, they get sent to a limbo where they are eternally chased by something called "the Soul Eater." When they aren't tolerating them, magical creatures eat them, hunt them for sport, \and torture them out of amusement.

The only real advantages seem to be the ability to perform exorcisms and whatever is going on with Sabrina's friends' weird communing with ghosts and future vision. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to consort with the devil when the alternative is so bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is heading towards Sabrina being the legendary Super Satanist isn't it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

(I'm not sure how you figure Mr Satan into that terrible joke I insist on pushing at every opportunity)

Also, here you go:

https://twitter.com/sisterb24/status/1056737428415877120

Comments are mostly dunking on her. I was right that Christian moms have zero credibility and are basically quaint in this hellworld day and age. (no less that the Satanic church is basically a riff on American Christianity)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Finished watching this last night, thought it was pretty good overall. One thing I'm a bit confused about is the whole prophecy thing. If Lilith and Satan were aware of the prophecy and that these were things Sabrina needed to do before becoming a full witch, why were they trying to coerce her into signing the book before?

Streebs posted:

One question though, it felt odd that they abandoned the storyline regarding Connor, the witch who was murdered early on. It seemed like they were setting up a storyline that would introduce a witch hunter. As soon as Luke showed up I thought for sure he was a witch hunter, but apparently he is some important warlock - otherwise how did he get Blackwood to help Ambrose? Then Connor's parents "commit suicide" .. very suspicious. I read in this thread that they shot season 1 and 2 back to back? Maybe this storyline makes more sense when you watch the two seasons without interruption.

I still think Luke murdered Connor, and then murdered the parents to get Ambrose to drop his investigation. He's pretty suspicious at least.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Finished watching this last night, thought it was pretty good overall. One thing I'm a bit confused about is the whole prophecy thing. If Lilith and Satan were aware of the prophecy and that these were things Sabrina needed to do before becoming a full witch, why were they trying to coerce her into signing the book before?

I still think Luke murdered Connor, and then murdered the parents to get Ambrose to drop his investigation. He's pretty suspicious at least.

I think there’s something up with him. It’s a pretty weird coincidence that the night he shows up in their house the lizard familiar just ended up dead.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think there’s something up with him. It’s a pretty weird coincidence that the night he shows up in their house the lizard familiar just ended up dead.

My guess is Father Blackwood killed Connor for unknown reasons and sent Luke to clean up any possible loose ends. After killing the Familiar and using his date with Ambrose to surreptitiously gather intelligence, Luke fulfilled his duty and tried to bug out, only to get intercepted by Hilda and drugged with a love potion.

Pretty sure it is going to turn into another example of how the Church of Night doesn't follow the rules it forces on others.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

As I understood it, the prophecy is about Sabrina as a full witch, not how she becomes one.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

My guess is Father Blackwood killed Connor for unknown reasons and sent Luke to clean up any possible loose ends. After killing the Familiar and using his date with Ambrose to surreptitiously gather intelligence, Luke fulfilled his duty and tried to bug out, only to get intercepted by Hilda and drugged with a love potion.

Pretty sure it is going to turn into another example of how the Church of Night doesn't follow the rules it forces on others.

Maybe Connor was one of Blackwood's illegitimate children and Lady Blackwood got him murdered?

Gladi posted:

As I understood it, the prophecy is about Sabrina as a full witch, not how she becomes one.

I'm not so certain. Lilith said things like "Now she's one step closer to the Path of Night" whenever Sabrina did something. Might be a bit ambiguous though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(I'm not sure how you figure Mr Satan into that terrible joke I insist on pushing at every opportunity)

Also, here you go:

https://twitter.com/sisterb24/status/1056737428415877120

Comments are mostly dunking on her. I was right that Christian moms have zero credibility and are basically quaint in this hellworld day and age. (no less that the Satanic church is basically a riff on American Christianity)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Maybe Connor was one of Blackwood's illegitimate children and Lady Blackwood got him murdered?

Possible but (E10) I am skeptical of how much the show is going to pin on a dead character. Not much of a reveal if no one (except maybe Ambrose) would be affected by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Connor was mentioned to be from outside the coven; an orphan adopted by mortal parents. Either he's self-taught, or from another coven... or something else is going on. It's mentioned that other covens of witches exist- Wardwell claims to be from one- and they may do things differently to the Church of Night we've seen.

There's a few possibilities; given the mention of witch hunters (and it's uncertain whether that's simply a title witches give to those who hunt them and their descendants, or has other implications to it) a lone warlock is a likely easy target for them. Might be simply a case where insular and self-obsessed warlock society can't see threats under their very noses while they're busy killing each other for fun and religion.