Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

Counterpoint Sabrina is great and Riverdale is complete trash.
Counterpoint: Yeah, it's all great for these reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Whoa whoa, I love trash shows. I mean, I watch Doctor Who (the greatest aspect of which is that cosplaying/costuming as a Doctor Who character is easy because you have the same budget and materials as their special effects department), so I'm not off the hook.

Riverdale is just bad bad, not MST3K bad.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Riverdale is great and beautiful. Not a single witch in Greendale measures up to Cheryl Blossom.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The plot of episode 7 is so ridiculous and every moment is a treasure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Queen Combat posted:

Counterpoint Sabrina is great and Riverdale is complete trash.

Counter counter point, you're trash and so's your face.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Counter counter point, you're trash and so's your face.

Queen Combat posted:

I watch Doctor Who

I mean, yeah. Checks out.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Guys guys, can't we just...come together and enjoy the cannibalism and ultraviolence?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The soundtrack is a little too obvious, but then again, there's just so many good songs about witches.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I tried a couple episodes of this on a lark and I'm not sure if it's good or bad or so bad it's good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Straight White Shark posted:

I tried a couple episodes of this on a lark and I'm not sure if it's good or bad or so bad it's good

It's legit good, but if you don't like it don't watch it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's a Chick Tract about the dangers of Satanism, so yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hope it ends up with a love triangle between Sabrina, Satan and Cthulhu.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This show could really do with some shades of grey.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

If you like it, it's good. Media doesn't have an inherent quality :)

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Skwirl posted:

I still don't get why Zelda didn't just lie and say the boy was the first born, like Blackwood is a dick but if his daughter is not a threat to his weird patriarchy thing he will absolutely protect her with every fiber of his being as a point of pride.

it's because it's the lie she tells herself to make it okay, the real reason she kidnapped Blackwood's daughter is because she's obsessively in love with him

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Riverdale season 1 is a legit good miniseries. Season 2 stumbled in a lot of places so I'm hoping season 3 has a good rebound.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, cannibalistic loving aunt who worships Satan but still tries to protect the mortals in town because it's right is very black and white.

What show are you watching?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Show is a real surprise and subverted all my expectations.

I came into this thinking it was a comedy since it was a remake. I can get behind Sally Draper playing Melissa Joan Hart.

So I loved that first bit with Father Blackwell's reassurances to Sabrina so you know, the dark lord stuff is really just going to be a metaphor for dealing with society's expectations or a comment about traditional religions. Harvey and Sabrina are so sweet and innocent so they're probably going to be spending the season fighting for women's causes. Easy stuff

Even during the dark baptism with the half naked witches and the guys with the animal heads in the background I was still like wow guys this is devil stuff is pretty cheesy. I mean, come on.

A couple of hours later, I've just finished watching Blackwell and the witches tear apart and eat one of their own.
and there's still three more episodes to go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, cannibalistic loving aunt who worships Satan but still tries to protect the mortals in town because it's right is very black and white.

What show are you watching?

That's not what I mean. Despite all the "hail satan" of the show, who's in the wrong and who's in the right in any given conflict is always very black and white. There's the baddies who are 100% wrong, there's the people who are well meaning but still wrong, and there's the goodies who are 100% right. And I get that this is just how shows targeting these demographics tend to be, but it somewhat undercuts the insane satanic stuff for me (and Sabrina's struggle to reconcile her witch and mortal lives) that there's such clearly defined lines.

Aunt Zelda's religious fundamentalism is treated no differently than if she was a christian fundie on a less fantastical show. She's a good person but she's Wrong, and whenever she does something legit good it's by going against those beliefs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's a Chick Tract about the dangers of Satanism, so yes.

this guy gets it

it's clearly not an actual Chick Tract though or else when the lawyer pulled out the Catholic baptism certificate the satanic priest would have been "see, now she is doubly pledged to our lord and master Satan"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That's not what I mean. Despite all the "hail satan" of the show, who's in the wrong and who's in the right in any given conflict is always very black and white. There's the baddies who are 100% wrong, there's the people who are well meaning but still wrong, and there's the goodies who are 100% right. And I get that this is just how shows targeting these demographics tend to be, but it somewhat undercuts the insane satanic stuff for me (and Sabrina's struggle to reconcile her witch and mortal lives) that there's such clearly defined lines.

Aunt Zelda's religious fundamentalism is treated no differently than if she was a christian fundie on a less fantastical show. She's a good person but she's Wrong, and whenever she does something legit good it's by going against those beliefs.

There's the episode where Sabrina tries to rules lawyer Necromancy and it all goes horribly, horribly wrong. That's pretty grey.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Have you finished the show? Because basically everything you're talking about gets addressed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Have you finished the show? Because basically everything you're talking about gets addressed.

Nah I haven't quite finished it yet. That's neat if it does get addressed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it gets a bit grey when (spoiler for episode 8)Sabrina slits the throat of a fellow 16 year old

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

By the end, everyone has done bad and good poo poo, you get a good amount of "I told you so", and Sabrina starts becoming almost unbearable in her selfish stupidity.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just got done watching this last night.

Jeff from Coupling is a surprisingly good Father Blackwood, although I did keep expecting him to go off on a weird tangent about the Giggle Loop or the Melty Man.

Sue White is perfect as Mrs Satan, and it's now canon in my head that they're the same character. It would explain a lot of the weirder stuff in Green Wing.

Cool show.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anyone else thinking part two is going to have Sabrina as more of an antihero/stuck up succubitch and her mortal friends as the actual goodies?

Harvey, Suzie, and Roz were all really cool but ended up... not doing much this first season. Most of their story was finding out about their own and the town’s supernatural history with minimal payoff.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lurdiak posted:

Hah, I honestly thought this was sarcasm.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Man I hope season 2 isn't a whole year away. This show, and Altered Carbon, are so good and immersive. I feel like i just want to stay in these crazy worlds forever, forsaking this damned hell dimension we call reality. Actual Satan would be an upgrade

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anyone else thinking part two is going to have Sabrina as more of an antihero/stuck up succubitch and her mortal friends as the actual goodies?

Harvey, Suzie, and Roz were all really cool but ended up... not doing much this first season. Most of their story was finding out about their own and the town’s supernatural history with minimal payoff.

I think the mortals are going to become the main antagonists, and they step going to play a game of one upsmanship of darker and darker poo poo with Sabrina.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Probably theyre going to immerse themselves in th magic side of Greendale, to redeem or save Sabrina or whatever. Thats my guess.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biplane posted:

Probably theyre going to immerse themselves in th magic side of Greendale, to redeem or save Sabrina or whatever. Thats my guess.

Roz's family was cursed by witches, Harvey is from a line of witch hunters and had to kill his own brother after witches killed him and then resurrected him wrong, Suzy knows that witches attacked the town, and none of them know that Sabrina saved everyone by pledging herself to Satan.

I doubt that they will be on good terms with her now, especially since she signed the book and has seemingly immersed herself in the Satan.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 6, 2018

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Seems like they should be able to mine some fun plot lines from the fact that what's essentially been set up is a "friend falls in with the rich kids" scenario

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Mean Girls, but it's Satan.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Mean Girls, but it's Satan.

Well, now we know what the musical episode will be.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Did Roz not know about braille? She can read any book she wants! Not that that makes up for the use of her eyes, but I'd want to go see some films or to some art galleries, or some vistas, really put my eyes to work before they go

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Shoehead posted:

Did Roz not know about braille? She can read any book she wants! Not that that makes up for the use of her eyes, but I'd want to go see some films or to some art galleries, or some vistas, really put my eyes to work before they go

When you got the shinning, who needs books?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My question is why she didn't ask Sabrina if she could lift the curse.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Satan, Eat My Shorts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Roz's family was cursed by witches, Harvey is from a line of witch hunters and had to kill his own brother after witches killed him and then resurrected him wrong, Suzy knows that witches attacked the town, and none of them know that Sabrina saved everyone by pledging herself to Satan.

I doubt that they will be on good terms with her now, especially since she signed the book and has seemingly immersed herself in the Satan.

Nothing a little explaining won't solve.