Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is a Netflix original television show based on the comic book series of the same name. Sabrina Spellman is a half-witch half-mortal teenager who, on her 16th birthday must choose between the world of witches and the world of mortals.

Kiernan Shipka as Sabrina Spellman: A half-human, half-witch teenager attending Baxter High, who is just beginning her dark education as a sorceress, while trying to maintain a normal life.

Ross Lynch as Harvey Kinkle: Sabrina's charming, dreamy boyfriend who is the son of a coal miner and unaware of the dark forces conspiring to keep him and Sabrina apart.

Jaz Sinclair as Rosalind Walker: The brash, empowered and outspoken daughter of Greendale's minister and Sabrina's best friend.

Lucy Davis as Hilda Spellman: One of Sabrina's two witch aunts, who has a motherly nature and warm sense of humor, and is skilled at brewing potions.
Miranda Otto as Zelda Spellman: One of Sabrina's two witch aunts, who is sterner than Hilda and very protective of Sabrina. She is also a member of the Church of Night, devout to the Dark Lord.

Chance Perdomo as Ambrose Spellman: Sabrina's pansexual witch cousin from England, who is her partner in crime, but is forbidden from leaving the Spellman home after being placed under house arrest by the Witches Council.

Michelle Gomez as Mary Wardell / Madam Satan: Sabrina's favorite teacher and mentor at Baxter High, who becomes possessed by the devil's handmaiden to become Madam Satan, a cunning manipulator.

Tati Gabrielle as Prudence: A student at the Academy of the Unseen Arts, with a personal grudge against Sabrina. She is the leader of a trio of witches, the Weird Sisters.
Adeline Rudolph as Agatha: A student at the Academy of the Unseen Arts who is one of the Weird Sisters.
(Abigail Cowen is Dorcas, the third weird sister and a recurring character instead of a main. Couldn't find a photo of just the two of them.)

Richard Coyle as Father Blackwood: The High Priest of the Church of Night and Dean of the Academy of the Unseen Arts, who gets into conflict with Sabrina.

Additionally, Salem is in the show but has a lesser role because Kiernan Shipka is allergic to cats.

X-O posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

So, spoiler tags until Oct 29

Considering the nature of the show, Spoiler tags through the witching hour on All Hallows Eve. (Untagged discussion starts 1 AM on the 31st)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just watched the pilot and this show is so loving obscenely My poo poo. I can't get over how fantastic it is and how much love has clearly gone into so many aspects.

It also fuckin hurts that I don't live in the Spellman house, that aesthetic is painfully good.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Senerio posted:

So, spoiler tags until the 29th.

Might as well make it until Halloween. The secret knowledge shall be revealed only on All Hallow's Eve. :spooky:

I'm up to ep 4 and it's great so far, though I feel like the normal high school drama bits are... getting in the way of everything else? The A plots have been so strong they're baring giving the B plots room to breathe.

1x03
Generally I'm loving that the show just leans hard into witches being devil-worshipping baby-eaters, but the court was veering just a little too close to BtVS-style goofy schlocky irreverence for my taste.

e: Ambrose is just the best btw.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 26, 2018

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Good idea. Spoiler tags through the witching hour on All Hallows Eve.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

1x05
Zelda's worst nightmare is that the Devil eats vegetable pie :laugh:

Seriously though, I usually love dream episodes but this is pretty weak

(Alright, the Cain and Abel inversion is neat)

e:

1x07: :stare:

e2: Double that :stare: for the rest of the season. The last three or four episodes are so much better than the rest it's almost like they're from a different show.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 27, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Loling pretty hard at a character being called (episode four spoiler) Nicholas Scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_mePjkQW_c

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I don’t remember Melissa Joan Hart talking this much about pledging herself to Satan

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Autonomous Monster posted:

1x03
Generally I'm loving that the show just leans hard into witches being devil-worshipping baby-eaters, but the court was veering just a little too close to BtVS-style goofy schlocky irreverence for my taste.

1x03
'she was clearly consenting, look at what she was wearing' was.... a bit on the nose

Propaniac posted:

I don't remember Melissa Joan Hart talking this much about pledging herself to Satan

Where else could Holiday in Handcuffs possibly have come from?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

If you had told me a year ago I would not only watch a show based on a loving Archie character but that I would watch all 10 episodes in a single sitting I would have laughed in your face and then climbed aboard my comically old fashioned bicycle and tutted off like the rear end in a top hat elitist I am. But here we are. What a great show.

I can't believe how much Satan is jam packed into this. It's wall-to-wall Satan. I need to find some christian review sites to read because I bet they're super enthusiastic about it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I've only watched one episode so far but that first episode delighted me and I haven't paid any attention to this world since Melissa Joan Hart. Sabrina is charming, and I'm loving her family. The creature design was also very cool.

I'm seeing a number of people not liking the blur effect used in some scenes, I didn't really mind it. I appreciated what they were going for.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh hey, there's a thread on this. I watched an episode yesterday and I dunno. The show's leaning hard on a female empowerment theme, which is great, but then it's using Satanism as a surrogate for traditional conservative Christian society, which feels kinda... off. Certainly like the show ultimately takes a quite traditional (I want to say, specifically traditionally American) and disapproving stance on its own subject matter. Know what I mean?

I was gonna say maybe it changes gear down the line but then this

Paracaidas posted:

1x03
'she was clearly consenting, look at what she was wearing' was.... a bit on the nose
just drives the point home for me.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Gawain The Blind posted:

If you had told me a year ago I would not only watch a show based on a loving Archie character but that I would watch all 10 episodes in a single sitting I would have laughed in your face and then climbed aboard my comically old fashioned bicycle and tutted off like the rear end in a top hat elitist I am. But here we are. What a great show.

I can't believe how much Satan is jam packed into this. It's wall-to-wall Satan. I need to find some christian review sites to read because I bet they're super enthusiastic about it.

Yeah, normally witch-protagonist stuff is all about Gaia and Wicca and poo poo whereas these witches are one long-pig dinner from getting a visit from Buffy and the Scooby Gang.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I caught the first few episodes before skipping ahead to the finale since I never have self-control when all the episodes are available at once on stuff like Netflix. Overall I really liked what I saw, my main complaint is how on-the-nose its allegories are.

Things are set up well for the next season and I hope we get a nice solid five seasons out of this show, weaving Sabrina back and forth on the "evil witch" scale along the way and doing a good old fashioned "witch beats Satan" ending in the series finale down the line.

Definitely a fun take on the character and setting, and somehow there's just this feeling I can't quite pin down that really reminds me of the classic Melissa Joan Hart show, beyond just the "these are the same characters" element of it. If I had to pin it on anything it's on the writing being a bit theatrical and over-the-top, it's actually not that far from the feel of A Series of Unfortunate Events at times, but even that doesn't quite sum it up. Maybe it's just that I've kept getting the feeling that there are scenes that would basically work on either show, with this being the frontrunner of that happening in what I've seen so far:

1x02 Sabrina and the Weird Sisters messing with the guys in the mine and getting blackmail material so that they'd leave Sabrina's friend alone. I could have seen that played for pure comedy on the old show. Also I get that the guys they trick are absolutely unsympathetic characters, but I'm a bit surprised that after focusing so much on femininity, conflicts between men and women, and consent, and while featuring a diverse cast including transgender and pansexual supporting characters, the show has Sabrina and the other witches manipulate the guys into a sexual encounter with partners they did not want, threatened them with evidence of that encounter, and then rendered them impotent. It's the kind of scene that wouldn't really stand out to me as inappropriate if I just came across it, but it seems like an odd choice given what's gone on around it. It definitely reads as offensive to me if the characters involved are gender swapped, or if it's done to characters who we haven't seen kicking the proverbial dog, in screenwriting terms.

I kind of got on a tangent there. My original point was that a scene like that would play just fine in the tone of the old series, since that show barely scratched the surface of any deep issues, so having Zelda trick four dumb mortals into making out would just be a quick joke, though given the time I'm sure it would have just been tricking a man and women into kissing, or more likely some schmuck looking guy into kissing a pillow.

Anyway that's my only deep thought on the show so far, still have more to watch. I might have just been reading too many thinkpieces on various shows and overanalyzing stuff, who knows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh hey, there's a thread on this. I watched an episode yesterday and I dunno. The show's leaning hard on a female empowerment theme, which is great, but then it's using Satanism as a surrogate for traditional conservative Christian society, which feels kinda... off. Certainly like the show ultimately takes a quite traditional (I want to say, specifically traditionally American) and disapproving stance on its own subject matter. Know what I mean?

Beats the real life Church of Satan which is basically just Objectivism.

Harvey is actually pretty cool.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Gawain The Blind posted:

I can't believe how much Satan is jam packed into this. It's wall-to-wall Satan.

I hadn't watched the trailers before I started the show and I totally echo this. Glad they didn't screw around and went straight to the "90s black metal" setting in the Satan-o-meter, gives them lots of play with (both heavy and comic).

Really enjoying everything so far, it didn't take long to get going and hasn't stopped since. Does feel like a "mini-series" , but I think that's the point. The side stuff would be fun having more screentime but it means the show isn't bogged down and can keep you gripped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As I always say, subtlety is for the weak. One thing I kinda thought was distinctive about... nearly every incarnation of the franchise is how witches and warlocks are pretty casually amoral and do terrible, hilarious things with their power (Salem typically being a former supervillain under house-arrest and all. Incidentally, seems like they put that part of his character into Ambrose. Does he have precedent?) which casts even Sabrina's more questionable actions into a better light because at least she's well-intentioned.

Blackwood is sure taking a while to learn 'you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar'.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Propaniac posted:

I don’t remember Melissa Joan Hart talking this much about pledging herself to Satan

She signed with ABC, same diff.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Everything I've seen, for what it's worth, is that it really catches its stride on the backhalf.

The flaw with that is that it's a much larger time commitment for that switch to flip, compared to Bojack. With that said, I thought both 4 and 5 were much better than the ones that preceded them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This show is really kinda good. It's not like Riverdale, where everything is stupid and fun. It's genuinely compelling.

Episode 3ish: Harvey's dad is kind of a traditionalist shithead. "My whole family has worked, lived and died in that mine and so will you!"

I'll echo the fact that it's interesting, how satanic everything is.
I haven't seen (Episode 7) ritualistic self sacrifice and cannibalism on a TV show before. It's none of that new age crystal magic mantra stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Okay, this is definitely about cycles of abuse both familial and institutional. Which again, is actually hilariously in line with every aspect of witch society is portrayed in every Sabrina incarnation I've seen, including the cartoon.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Whalley posted:

I just watched the pilot and this show is so loving obscenely My poo poo. I can't get over how fantastic it is and how much love has clearly gone into so many aspects.

It also fuckin hurts that I don't live in the Spellman house, that aesthetic is painfully good.

Same. The protagonist is so smart that I want to cry tears of happiness.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’ve only seen episode 1 and I don’t really know what to think. The evil teacher and the mean girls are just so over the top. It gunks up the horror aspects when the people responsible for it are these cartoon villains. And while Sabrina’s political awareness and feminism is appropriate it felt wedged in there so they could speed the first episode along.

It got me thinking about the old sitcom though which I probably watched every episode of as a kid. Reading up on it, it was so badly written with characters and plots dropping out midway through seasons as the writers just stopped caring or left. So this show is nothing but an improvement, though I miss wisecracking Salem.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

cant cook creole bream posted:

This show is really kinda good. It's not like Riverdale, where everything is stupid and fun. It's genuinely compelling.

Episode 3ish: Harvey's dad is kind of a traditionalist shithead. "My whole family has worked, lived and died in that mine and so will you!"

I'll echo the fact that it's interesting, how satanic everything is.

It's funny when you consider the frothing outrage there was from the Xtian Right over the utterly benign Harry Potter books & films supposedly being a gateway to Satanism and DORK-SIDED STUFF. Similarly with Dungeons & Dragons two decades before that.

You finally have a show where the characters actually do openly practice Satanic beliefs and it provokes almost no reaction at all, seemingly. I suppose you can't really burn a Netflix subscription, so the protest rallies would be pretty dull.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Finished the entire season and I really like it, I am very impressed.

The only bad thing that stands out Salem is hardly used beyond the first few episodes. I assume that after they found out that Kiernan Shipka was allergic to cats, they decided it would be easiest to just cut out most of the Salem scenes

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

NowonSA posted:

I caught the first few episodes before skipping ahead to the finale since I never have self-control when all the episodes are available at once on stuff like Netflix.

Whaaaa? That's weird.

I'm on episode 6 and liking the show. Sabrina is a smart character and I like that so far the show dodges standard teen melodrama or at least keeps it to a minimum.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Ambrose is the best character on the show.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gaunab posted:

Whaaaa? That's weird.

Yeah, it honestly is. Do you also skip ahead to the last page of a book, or watch the ending credits in the middle of a game?

Maelstache posted:

You finally have a show where the characters actually do openly practice Satanic beliefs and it provokes almost no reaction at all, seemingly. I suppose you can't really burn a Netflix subscription, so the protest rallies would be pretty dull.

Give it some time. The ultrachristian nutjobs haven't had time to hate it yet. Also you could argue that Harry Potter was a way to normalize that stuff. So if they argued that those books had to be stopped because of slippery slopes, theyogbt have been right. But I don't mind this at all and angertears of Christian fanatics tend to taste nice.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 27, 2018

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Someone I knew in high school would watch movies sped up to about 1.5 or 2 so he could "watch more movies"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watched the first two episodes of this last night and it is very cool and a lot spookier than I thought it would be. Also I spent much of that time thinking that Father Blackwood was the same dude who played Liam McPoyle on It's Always Sunny but alas :(

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Finished the season and it was good but the way it ends leaves a lot of things that could send this show in a nosedive in the second season. I wish them luck on that front.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Second episode is much better than the first.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gaunab posted:

Finished the season and it was good but the way it ends leaves a lot of things that could send this show in a nosedive in the second season. I wish them luck on that front.

It's a Netflix original, so those always have better second seasons :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, it honestly is. Do you also skip ahead to the last page of a book, or watch the ending credits in the middle of a game?

Give it some time. The ultrachristian nutjobs haven't had time to hate it yet. Also you could argue that Harry Potter was a way to normalize that stuff. So if they argued that those books had to be stopped because of slippery slopes, theyogbt have been right. But I don't mind this at all and angertears of Christian fanatics tend to taste nice.

You don't hear much from Christian moral guardians anymore, I think they've realised that no one listens to them or they're used as punchlines and free publicity. Sometimes you see conservative Christian groups posing as feminist/progressive groups now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You don't hear much from Christian moral guardians anymore, I think they've realised that no one listens to them or they're used as punchlines and free publicity. Sometimes you see conservative Christian groups posing as feminist/progressive groups now.

They'll be a Christian Moms Against Sabrina facebook group within weeks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually, the fun part about going Full Satan is that most of the complaining about the show will sound like the same made-up nonsense that the Christian Right bangs on about with everything, nobody who doesn't watch the show will believe them and nobody who does watch it will care.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm glad to see Michelle Gomez in any role so her appearance from the first episode was a treat.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Same. The protagonist is so smart that I want to cry tears of happiness.

Just finished the fourth episode, and a huge reason why I like the show is that Sabrina is genuinely both smart and proactively kind while still very clearly being a very non-omniscient teen girl who still gets scared/freaked out under stress and who is still being faced with serious challenges that are leaving her out of her depth. (I love smart characters, but have had quite enough of the preternaturally precocious.)

Loving the very consistently comic-y retro aesthetic too that is still ultimately set in the 21st century so we don't have to play the historical fiction game.

Also, it just me or does Miranda Otto (Zelda) steal literally every scene she's in?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realised Prudence is Gaia from The 100.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Just finished the fourth episode, and a huge reason why I like the show is that Sabrina is genuinely both smart and proactively kind while still very clearly being a very non-omniscient teen girl who still gets scared/freaked out under stress and who is still being faced with serious challenges that are leaving her out of her depth. (I love smart characters, but have had quite enough of the preternaturally precocious.)

Loving the very consistently comic-y retro aesthetic too that is still ultimately set in the 21st century so we don't have to play the historical fiction game.

Also, it just me or does Miranda Otto (Zelda) steal literally every scene she's in?

Is it set in modern times? I thought it was set in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The good actors on this show make the bad actors look REAL BAD.