Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Autonomous Monster posted:

What didn't you like about it, out of interest?

On Nick Scratch: He has to be the devil in disguise, right? I mean, come on.

Old Scratch and Mr Scratch are traditional nicknames for that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
As much as I like cats I like Shipka more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought he had a twin boy and a girl. Zelda took the girl because she was technically the first born and was worried she would be culled?

That's one thing I didn't like Why couldn't she lie and just say the boy was born first,?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

^burtle posted:

We watched Ep 1, I enjoyed it but the blurriness was giving me a headache and Sabrina was written way too much like a female Jughead. Hoping it picks up / eases off as it continues.

She stops narrating pretty quickly if that's your issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just did the math, it's Sabrina part one, not season 1, and that usually means a 6 month gap, which means we'll get more Sabrina around Easter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Thought this was amusing: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...e-a8611441.html

The Satanic Temple in Salem is claiming that this show ripped off it's statue of Baphomet for it's depiction of Satan (specifically the statue in the academy, they aren't claiming copyright of the devil, but of that specific statue).

They sorta did rip off the statue design, but I couldn't help but laugh at this

quote:

He also claims that the show paints Baphomet in an "evil" light and that this could cause viewers to become fearful of the Satanic Temple.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I still don't get why Zelda didn't just lie and say the boy was the first born, like Blackwood is a dick but if his daughter is not a threat to his weird patriarchy thing he will absolutely protect her with every fiber of his being as a point of pride.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Put this on as haoweenish background noise the other night while we were waiting on a pizza and holy poo poo, we ended up sitting enthralled and bingeing half the season. Finished up last night. This show is way better and more fun than it should be, and I know nothing about Sabrina except I remember it being on in the 90s and the snarky talking cat.

I also had no idea Sabrina was from the same universe as Archie. It also makes me want to try Riverdale which I had totally written off.

Riverdale is basically if David Lynch wrote and directed 90210. So you should absolutely watch it. season three has Archie joining a prison fight club and the next episode is the main characters playing their parents in a breakfast club knock off (nothing I said was a lie).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Counterpoint Sabrina is great and Riverdale is complete trash.

Counter counter point, you're trash and so's your face.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

I tried a couple episodes of this on a lark and I'm not sure if it's good or bad or so bad it's good

It's legit good, but if you don't like it don't watch it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That's not what I mean. Despite all the "hail satan" of the show, who's in the wrong and who's in the right in any given conflict is always very black and white. There's the baddies who are 100% wrong, there's the people who are well meaning but still wrong, and there's the goodies who are 100% right. And I get that this is just how shows targeting these demographics tend to be, but it somewhat undercuts the insane satanic stuff for me (and Sabrina's struggle to reconcile her witch and mortal lives) that there's such clearly defined lines.

Aunt Zelda's religious fundamentalism is treated no differently than if she was a christian fundie on a less fantastical show. She's a good person but she's Wrong, and whenever she does something legit good it's by going against those beliefs.

There's the episode where Sabrina tries to rules lawyer Necromancy and it all goes horribly, horribly wrong. That's pretty grey.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Nah I haven't quite finished it yet. That's neat if it does get addressed.

Yeah it gets a bit grey when (spoiler for episode 8)Sabrina slits the throat of a fellow 16 year old

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Speaking of Blackwood, in the Feast of Feasts they mention that the reason Lady Blackwood wanted Prudence dead was because she wanted to ensure that her children will inherit the High Priest position. So what about Sabrina? Her father was the previous High Priest, couldn't she make a claim if she wanted? Or does her being a half mortal prevent that?

There's other inheritance poo poo probably, Blackwood clearly has more money than Sabrina's family, and also War of The Roses is a different level of politics than "Bastard child usurping my child."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How do traditional, non mortal interacting witches get mortal money? Who do they buy poo poo from? Etc

It was a joke question, I dont know why you're being so hostile about it.

I assume most of the parents of the witches at Satanic Hogwarts have day jobs, pay for their students tuition, and the more insular witches are teachers or adjunct staff.

They're like the Satanic Amish. They do interact with the outside world, just keep it minimal. Most of them have a cellphone, they just never use it except to call the vet if an oxen is sick. And it's a flip phone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

To be clear, I was talking about the Amish, and they have flip phones to stop pocket dialing and they don't want the internet. All the young witches and warlocks on Sabrina have smartphones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

EvilTaytoMan posted:

We've never seen any of the witches with smartphones though? When Sabrina was calling Harvey, she used a landline while he had a smartphone.

I must have been thinking of that. Witches don't even have flip phones apparently. The also don't raise livestock, so it fits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mymla posted:

It's 17600 years into the future?

Yup It's like at a renfair when some people wear clothes from 1500's France and others 1400's England.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like that Sabrina puts it in the terms of 'witches hurting witches', Hilda and Zelda are instantly on board, that they have a justified fear of persecution that easily turns to inward threats, even their own traditions. Ironic that Zelda's dream version of Satan might actually be her own conscience trying to speak to her.

My favorite bit from the Dream episode was Ambrose immediately getting on board once it was explained to him "Oh yeah, me performing an autopsy on myself and feeling the pain as I do it is completely insane, this can't be real."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Salem gets food, a house to sleep in, and pets and scritches. Basically,

Assuming whoever I lived with treated me as nice as I treat my cat, I think I'd prefer to be a house cat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I kinda like all there terrible song covers on these shows

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

This has been showing up in my recommendations forever, so I watched a couple episodes. Then the first season. Now the second. Shortly to be the third.

Holy poo poo is this show ever good.

Are you complaining that the show you just binged 20+ hours of never gets good?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/sabrinanetflix/status/1339663845015601153?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I get that, but also if you're gonna lean hard into the "satanic witches" thing a certain amount of nudity is kinda expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's not 16 because the plot needs her to be, she's 16 because people are horny for highschoolers.

It's the same poo poo as Riverdale.

This isn't a Sabrina thing but a huge part of the reason tv shows about high school students having sex are a thing is because the characters have parents telling them "No" and that makes the sex better. The rebellion is what people like, not just the youth.