Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I am really digging this show. The characters are all surprisingly complex. Lord Blackwood, for instance, is a prick and mean, but he is straight up and reasonable, and legitimately cares about his coven and duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Senerio posted:

I like how accurately they portrayed Sabrina as a know it all 16 year old who you just want to punch in the face for being too clever yet inexperienced for her own good.

Ftfy

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Edmund Lava posted:

Just finished this. Thought it was good, didn’t like the earlier parts where Sabrina seemed surprised about the blood magic and canabalism despite being raised with witches, but it wrapped up nicely.

I didn’t follow the 90s show too closely but my wife pointed out something. She said on the show every Spellman had a dark twin and an earlier vision showed two girls at Sabrina’s birth. That and Sabrina’s mom saying “they took my baby”, and the end reveal makes me think there’s another half witch girl out there.

Betty or Veronica?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

radlum posted:

I spent all season thinking Nick was actually Satan, but turns out he is just a not so bad dude who likes Sabrina, that was weird

I dunno man. He showed up and stopped the weird sisters from doing anything about Tommy, and it seemed to me like he knew that there was a prophecy to fulfill. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned to indeed by spying on her.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Also, it seems like the Academy is locked down pretty hard; the Weird Sisters don't seem able to leave unless summoned or sent on a task, but Nick just goes wherever he wants.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EmptyVessel posted:

iirc Nick tells Harvey that Sabrina sent him when he arrives..

Doesn't mean she actually did, though. :tinfoil:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
They try to paint Satan, and by extension his followers, as less evil and more amoral, and there are implications that devout witches are spared eternal torture when they finally die.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

This show could really do with some shades of grey.

Yeah, cannibalistic loving aunt who worships Satan but still tries to protect the mortals in town because it's right is very black and white.

What show are you watching?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

That's not what I mean. Despite all the "hail satan" of the show, who's in the wrong and who's in the right in any given conflict is always very black and white. There's the baddies who are 100% wrong, there's the people who are well meaning but still wrong, and there's the goodies who are 100% right. And I get that this is just how shows targeting these demographics tend to be, but it somewhat undercuts the insane satanic stuff for me (and Sabrina's struggle to reconcile her witch and mortal lives) that there's such clearly defined lines.

Aunt Zelda's religious fundamentalism is treated no differently than if she was a christian fundie on a less fantastical show. She's a good person but she's Wrong, and whenever she does something legit good it's by going against those beliefs.

Have you finished the show? Because basically everything you're talking about gets addressed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Nah I haven't quite finished it yet. That's neat if it does get addressed.

By the end, everyone has done bad and good poo poo, you get a good amount of "I told you so", and Sabrina starts becoming almost unbearable in her selfish stupidity.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anyone else thinking part two is going to have Sabrina as more of an antihero/stuck up succubitch and her mortal friends as the actual goodies?

Harvey, Suzie, and Roz were all really cool but ended up... not doing much this first season. Most of their story was finding out about their own and the town’s supernatural history with minimal payoff.

I think the mortals are going to become the main antagonists, and they step going to play a game of one upsmanship of darker and darker poo poo with Sabrina.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biplane posted:

Probably theyre going to immerse themselves in th magic side of Greendale, to redeem or save Sabrina or whatever. Thats my guess.

Roz's family was cursed by witches, Harvey is from a line of witch hunters and had to kill his own brother after witches killed him and then resurrected him wrong, Suzy knows that witches attacked the town, and none of them know that Sabrina saved everyone by pledging herself to Satan.

I doubt that they will be on good terms with her now, especially since she signed the book and has seemingly immersed herself in the Satan.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 6, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Mean Girls, but it's Satan.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My question is why she didn't ask Sabrina if she could lift the curse.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biplane posted:

Nothing a little explaining won't solve.

Yeah, teenagers are known for their ability to explain themselves to their friends, and not harbor resentments, suspicions and grudges.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biplane posted:

gently caress off with your negativity, my teenage witch baes will absolutely manage to save their friendships and the town or whatever.

Well yeah, eventually. But I'll bet money that one of the primary sources of tension will be between Sabrina and the mortals.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The cannibalism seems like something controversial even among witches

"Shame it isn't a closed casket; we haven't had long pig in ages".

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biplane posted:

looks like it, apart from the feast of feasts, which seemed fairly controversial

It's only controversial because it kills a valuable member of their shrinking population, not because of the cannibalism. Zelda thought it appropriate to serve Satan a roasted warlock child in her dream, and Satan admonished her for lowering the population.

That's my take anyway.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Makes you wonder how they became witches in the first place. And if it's possible for a mortal to become a witch, and if so why aren't they recruiting if their population is dwindling?

Mortals can't become witches, its implied you need witch blood. I would guess that a long fuckin time ago, some stuff with Satan banging chicks and making them have babies happened, and that started a series of bloodlines.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think the biblical allegory dream should be taken too literally.

Right, but it shows how Zelda thinks in regards to cannibalism, and she is not one to rock the boat when it comes to church tenets.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
On that note, wtf do witches use for money? Just like, dollars? That's lame.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phenotype posted:

What are they supposed to use? Eyes of newt?

There aren't really that many of them, it makes sense that they'd just default to the currency of their country. Did you really want them to use Galleons and Knuts? That was more trouble than it was worth, trying to reconcile giant gold coins floating around everywhere.

How do traditional, non mortal interacting witches get mortal money? Who do they buy poo poo from? Etc

It was a joke question, I dont know why you're being so hostile about it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

They work at a funeral service.

Yes but it doesn't sink.

A funeral service that serves mortals. My post was about witches that dont interact with mortals.

Skwirl posted:

And it's a flip phone.

MONSTERS

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phenotype posted:

I don't think there ARE witches that don't interact with mortals. They're not a very big community, not even as big as the Harry Potter wizards, and I don't think they can just magic up all the things they need. There's probably no spell that can create indoor plumbing, for example, and I don't think any of the witches are moonlighting as a plumber.

You're probably right. I also don't think it really matters, because pulp tv show.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Woden posted:

Emergency services at the mine were all using 60's cars. There's a lot in the show that's weirdly anachronistic, it's not just witch stuff.

Yeah but this is intentional to make it feel a certain way. Harvey straight up has an iphone, and they reference modern pop culture, but everything looks like the 60s. They did the same thing in It Follows to great effect.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gaunab posted:

I could have sworn she called it the cunning or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kddzyds4fGo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Is "the writing" just the standard goon complaint about any media?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
"You entered into a contract when you released your local advert, and in the largest physical news source available in your pathetic town, no less. No, these are not organic, I got them from the left bin. Ah. Yes. Well."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah I'm viewing the ending of S1 as the climax of a single season.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phenotype posted:

What does the demon actually want that "equal partners" would get him?

Is he going to make Sabrina feed him a human child or something?

Protection, presumably. We've seen that familiars can die, and it doesn't take anything magical to do it.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 3, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

I thought it did?

Salem actively protects Sabrina whereas the other witches have to command their familiars to help.

This is correct. Salem wants to protect Sabrina, because she protects him and gives him a nice warm house to live in. While Salem watches out for Sabrina and actively offers protection, another witch might be caught off guard and poo poo on before they can make the call for help for their familiar.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mymla posted:

So, Salem is literally just a cat.

That turns into a demon to beat the poo poo out of stuff sometimes, sure.

It's also sort of implied that there is some other kind of magical fuckery going on that we aren't privy to, so who knows wth

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Salem's deal just lets him be more proactive, as far as I understand it.

Yeah. Salem wants to protect Sabrina, rather than being forced to. Think of it like a job; if you work somewhere you don't like but bills need to be paid, you'll do the bare minimum and not go above and beyond, but if it's a place that you truly enjoy being at, you'll be proactive and try to do more than normal.

Witches generally bind a familiar against their will, but Sabrina asked nicely.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mymla posted:

So, Salem is literally just a cat.

A magic cat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Watch...the show?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I super appreciate how it continued and developed the plot instead of just being a one off special. I am really digging Harvey's slide into distrust and fear of magic, which is sure to lead into some really bad conflict wrt his witch hunter heritage.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I like that he appreciates what she was trying to do though, he just put his foot down about "Thanks, but don't do that again, OK?" It seems he still likes her, he's just wary due to how badly she screwed up with regards to his brother.

I agree. I am hoping to see them take it un the direction of his distrust growing and having him slowly (or rapidly) start sliding further and further into "burn the witches".

Maybe his dad drinks so much because of something he saw or knows about...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

It would be interesting if "witch hunter" was a sort of calling and his dad's alcoholism was his way of politely declining

Especially if after Sabrina cured it, he decided to take up the call and start hunting witches, finds out about Sabrina, and Harvey has to choose between his dad and her.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 16, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Arbite posted:

I wonder if the audience is supposed to forget that two of the people Sabrina's on decent terms with deliberately murdered Harvey's brother.

You can bet your rear end he is gonna find that out, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm kind of hoping that the Weird Sisters eventually end up spending more time outside the academy due to Sabrina's influence, start seeing mortals as more than just toys and start feeling really lovely about their prior actions.

I hope they do all that and then get fuckin killed anyway