Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

EvilHawk posted:

Just got done watching it and yeah this is the thing I enjoy the most about the show. There's nobody where I've been like, you're a dick for absolutely no reason. Everyone has their own motivations and in-universe explanations for their actions.

There's a lot of destiny vs. choice things going on and I can imagine that's where there'll be going in the next season. You've got the mortals discovering the powers/roles of their ancestors, but rebelling against them in helping Sabrina. Sabrina herself is now a full witch, but I can only assume there's either a long con (she knew she needed to get the power to overcome Satan) or she'll be forced to turn against it. Blackwood now having a true heir, but not the one he thinks. Ms Wardwell is the clear Big Bad in all of this, which is weird in a show that actively and openly discusses cannibalism.

Also - there's surely going to be a Riverdale cross over at some point right? They wouldn't mention it more than once if it was only a wink and a nudge. Plus this season of Riverdale has got the whole occult thing going on.

It'll be kind of hilarious if the finale of the entire show involves the Dark Lord showing up in person to defend Sabrina from Lillith's betrayal, and they spend the whole time bickering about the blood contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hope he shows up and is just as disobedient and anti-establishment as Sabrina. That would be amazing. sabrina and her half-goat brother vs hell.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also I got that last part as Zelda reiterating it for emphasis. "Your parents' death was an accident, so please just stop picking at the wound and move on."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Thought this was amusing: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...e-a8611441.html

The Satanic Temple in Salem is claiming that this show ripped off it's statue of Baphomet for it's depiction of Satan (specifically the statue in the academy, they aren't claiming copyright of the devil, but of that specific statue).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I feel it would be more interesting if (Nick)he were more neutral - he genuinely likes Sabrina and wants her to succeed, but at the same time he pledged his soul in the book so has to follow the Dark lords plan to groom Sabrina for apocalypse stuff. Currently playing both sides but eventually having to choose one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Biplane posted:

I watched all ten episodes from friday to saturday and absolutely loved it. Guess I'll just spoiler the rest of this post just in case

I adored all the camera tricks to make things seem otherworldly and hosed up, like the edge of the screen blur when hosed up magic is afoot, or how the Spellman house just seems sorta off in it angles etc.

And going all in on the satanism was cool and fun, but I did tihnk it was weird that Satan the devil is real and just an incredibly hosed up dude, everyone is scared to death of him and hes all about the torture and hellfire, and witches are still like "welp better sign away my soul in this incredibly hosed up book". Sabrina is the only one whos like "hey maybe becoming the devils subject isnt good and cool???"

OVerall I give this show a 9 out of 10 and will probalby watch it again soon. Can't wait for season 2

To be fair, on that last point getting into heaven generally requires a lot of effort meaning most mortals and witches are hellbound anyway. So why not get a stay of execution for a few hundred years plus bonus superpowers? Maybe he'll go easy on them after their deaths. (I mean he won't but I can see why they'd take their chances)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Biplane posted:

Blackwood outright says thats the case but I mean, come on. what possible incentive does the devil have to tell the truth?
and the aunts are scared to death when they think sabrina is going to send them to hell for not getting her to sign the book. Even madam Satan is scared of the devil punishing her. Altough shes a demon so maybe its different for her

Well maybe they just know that the devil is a lil' man-kid who can't even handle onions, let alone rebellion, without having a fit and threatening punishment. That was a hilarious part of Zelda's dream, the devil being such a picky eater. What, onions too spicy for the lord of hellfire? He has the palette of a white american southerner. The whole "obligate carnivore" thing has always seemed more childish than anything, given he's supposed to be very powerful yet can't handle veggies or dairy without getting the farts. The show will end with him getting recommended a therapist who'll help him unpack his toxic masculinity.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So Satans deliberately evoke images of "evil" in order to protest religion, and then get salty when people associate those images with evil things?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you're worried people will call you evil, don't call yourself Satanists!

The irony is there are probably more Satanists getting into heaven than christians because their world view is more "Do what you want as long as it ain't hurting anyone" while a lot of Christians tend to be pearl clutching assholes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd love if it turned out that Blackwood isn't as cruel as Zelda thinks, like he finds out she kidnapped his daughter, asks why and when told she feared he'd kill her for being born first his response was just "Is that really how little you think of me :( ?" genuinely hurt.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Didn't she tell Harvey that she fixed the situation but had to go away forever because she was afraid of what she had to do to fix it? I thought she at least let him know what was going on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I was really surprised the episode didn't end with him dying, so I guess they probably have plans to bring him back.

I don't know, I don't think they'll kill Satan this early into proceedings.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Biplane posted:

I'm sure there were some shenanigans in the judge's "private chambers" or whatever, the end of that episode seemed way more poignant than it deserved to be.

Turns out during the discussion the lawyer found out about the whole apocalypse plot and just went "You know what... the worlds hosed right now and needs a reboot, so go ahead."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I kind of hope that the Apocalyptic destiny that the Dark Lord has for Sabrina is an ironically positive one - maybe he's after a half mortal for the job because she'll destroy the world as they know it, breaking down the barriers between the witch and mortal worlds completely. It'd be more interesting than the just standard "Everybody dies horribly because I'm evil" thing. Could be that possessing the one guy, and starting to trigger the supernatural abilities of the mortals, is him grooming them to join at Sabrina's side along with the Weird Sisters.

Less Armageddon, more Ragnarok.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gaunab posted:

I could have sworn she called it the cunning or something like that.

They're referencing the Simpsons. Notice he added an extra N in there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

WarEternal posted:

I vaguely remember something like this from when I watched the sitcom a long time ago with my girlfriend. The dude was born a witch hunter and unaware of it.

That plot arc was a shame because after a few episodes him and Dreama just ceased to exist. They weren't written out, they just abandoned them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

An entire episode of Blackwood on the phone with Comcast customer support while Sabrina struggles to babysit his hell child in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqQOGTshak?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm actually curious if familiars prefer their disguised forms due to being able to fit into more places more easily, or if they were given then option to hang out in 7-foot tall tree monster form behind closed doors they'd take it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I super appreciate how it continued and developed the plot instead of just being a one off special. I am really digging Harvey's slide into distrust and fear of magic, which is sure to lead into some really bad conflict wrt his witch hunter heritage.

I like that he appreciates what she was trying to do though, he just put his foot down about "Thanks, but don't do that again, OK?" It seems he still likes her, he's just wary due to how badly she screwed up with regards to his brother.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm kind of hoping that the Weird Sisters eventually end up spending more time outside the academy due to Sabrina's influence, start seeing mortals as more than just toys and start feeling really lovely about their prior actions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sabrina, how do you go from last season’s necromancy shitshow to “weird sisters lets summon my dead mom’s spirit!”

This time she wasn't trying to cheat the afterlife out of a soul, and it was only a temporary contact.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A funny coincidence - My mum took me to a meal because it was paid for by her church group because she was feeling kind of lovely, and I met her at a small party at one of their homes - one of the guests told the actual story of Gryla and the Yule Lads at the party, it was an amusing moment for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wait, that's a thing? Everyone loves a good story.

Apparently it is a real Scandinavian folk tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mameluke posted:

I liked the theory that Kinkle Sr first took to drink as an escape from his own nightmare in the mine and will look to the family tradition of witch hunting now that he can't drink it away

I feel it would be funnier if it goes the other way, and that as Harvey is more and more into the hardline Witchhunting thing his dad's constantly trying to stop him going crazy on it.

Mr Kinkle:"To be fair, she did cure my alcoholism there kid.. seems her magic's fine as long as she sticks to what she knows.."
Harvey: "But after what she did to my brother..."
Mr Kinkle: "Well, I wouldn't have done any better..."