Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh hey, there's a thread on this. I watched an episode yesterday and I dunno. The show's leaning hard on a female empowerment theme, which is great, but then it's using Satanism as a surrogate for traditional conservative Christian society, which feels kinda... off. Certainly like the show ultimately takes a quite traditional (I want to say, specifically traditionally American) and disapproving stance on its own subject matter. Know what I mean?

I was gonna say maybe it changes gear down the line but then this

just drives the point home for me.

Beats the real life Church of Satan which is basically just Objectivism.

Harvey is actually pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As I always say, subtlety is for the weak. One thing I kinda thought was distinctive about... nearly every incarnation of the franchise is how witches and warlocks are pretty casually amoral and do terrible, hilarious things with their power (Salem typically being a former supervillain under house-arrest and all. Incidentally, seems like they put that part of his character into Ambrose. Does he have precedent?) which casts even Sabrina's more questionable actions into a better light because at least she's well-intentioned.

Blackwood is sure taking a while to learn 'you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Okay, this is definitely about cycles of abuse both familial and institutional. Which again, is actually hilariously in line with every aspect of witch society is portrayed in every Sabrina incarnation I've seen, including the cartoon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, it honestly is. Do you also skip ahead to the last page of a book, or watch the ending credits in the middle of a game?

Give it some time. The ultrachristian nutjobs haven't had time to hate it yet. Also you could argue that Harry Potter was a way to normalize that stuff. So if they argued that those books had to be stopped because of slippery slopes, theyogbt have been right. But I don't mind this at all and angertears of Christian fanatics tend to taste nice.

You don't hear much from Christian moral guardians anymore, I think they've realised that no one listens to them or they're used as punchlines and free publicity. Sometimes you see conservative Christian groups posing as feminist/progressive groups now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually, the fun part about going Full Satan is that most of the complaining about the show will sound like the same made-up nonsense that the Christian Right bangs on about with everything, nobody who doesn't watch the show will believe them and nobody who does watch it will care.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it does a bit of the Harry Potter thing where witch society is really backwards and tends to have retro furnishings because they're so long-lived, rely on magic as much as technology, and don't fix what ain't broke. And Greendale is implied to be a pretty conservative area.

The whole thing about Sabrina being infinitely more intelligent, capable and self-aware than your average teen protagonist actually seems to ring really true to what I've seen of the comics (which, at least early on, often play up how inhuman catches can be and are expected to be), and also that she can still easily find herself in over her head when it comes to the magical world where she's only a teenager. She's got a bit of a Dr Strange thing going on; in her own stories she's frequently up against long odds, but to everyone else she's an intelligent and powerful witch with real magical powers who can do things that even extraordinary mortals can't imagine.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 28, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The show's intro does have comics Sabrina appear with Archie briefly showing up on the TV screen in the background. But yeah, Archie, Sabrina, and Josie and the Pussycats all originate from the same loosely connected comics. (Archie generally has a much looser sense of continuity than other comics have shackled themselves to, with a lot of spinoffs and theoretical endings in alternate timelines and such, let alone stuff like Afterlife with Archie or the crossovers)

Also, points on the vague timeline note: the mines seem waaaay old-fashioned and seriously outdated compared to the industrialised and mechanised complex you'd expect any modern mine to be. I can believe that the mines are very, very old, but I don't think you typically have wooden supports and individual miners going down into the tunnels with just pickaxes.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 28, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The demons on this show are all hamming it right the hell up.

Interestingly, a lot about Sabrina's role and backstory is starting to remind me of some versions of Merlin; a child baptised before their soul could be promised to the Dark Lord, given the powers of a witch but the freedom to use it for the good of others, and standing outside both the paths of dark and light to do what she considers best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Spellmans are fancy, they have golden cutlery for special occasions.

(IIRC, gold isn't just super fancy but actually a very good material for cutlery; it's sterile, maintains a pleasant temperature, and soft enough to possibly reduce of risk of chipping teeth)

ED: also contributing to the vaguely period piece note; is it just me or does the ambulance that shows up in episode 1x8 look like the Ecto-Mobile, which iirc was a modified 70s ambulance/hearse?

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 28, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

1v8: My first thought on seeing the two-headed snail is that snails are hermaproditic, but the true comedy option to be is Blackwood is blessed with brothers... Venture Brothers.

Also, seems fitting that Sabrina is absolutely no one to gently caress with when threatened, no matter who you are. She knows her goal and is getting started ASAP.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hilda seemed so familiar all the time. It's been a while since Shaun of the Dead, hasn't it.

The British mam we all wish we had.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

1x9 beginning: We're going all Pet Semetary with this, aren't we?

Also, this show is totally evidence towards my thesis that being devoutly Catholic is the highest form of being goth.

It says something that at least according to TVtropes, this is one of the more heroic versions of the Spellman clan so far to date.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 28, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FastestGunAlive posted:

Watched six episodes. Episode 1 was a fine intro but I was not feeling it until ep 5, which I loved and was what I expected going in from this show (although I've never read the comics). Like, I could not care less about not-Hogwarts and a half-blood fulfilling destiny UGH, just give me some more of that dark humor/horror vibe, let Sabrina find her way, and have the real world and supernatural slowly intersect
Complaints:
Some pretty cliche and boring characters:
-The mean jock football team... how original but seeing them get their come uppance was great. That said, it's kind of nulled by them (presumably) being a one-and-done Moral of the Week thing that have not been mentioned since. Wow, we solved bullying!.
-Of course Harvey's dad is a single father who just wants his son to work in the mines instead of ~pursuing his art dreams~. Every time he is on screen all I can think is "it's merMAN... merMAN".
-The Mean Girls Plastics Witches / not-Draco Malfoy and crew. Boring and uninteresting, I can not be bothered to learn their names. Laughed at Sabrina and Prudence getting into an altercation at Hogwarts in ep4 and everyone else in the dormitory chanting "fight! fight!"
-Nick Scratch. Not interested in having a real world vs supernatural world relationship triangle and omg who will Sabrina pick
I'm still not sold on how they are setting up some of the gender narrative to be explored, specifically on the supernatural side:
Specifically, ep 4(?) Wardwell tells Faustus that men are about brute force and women more sly; that's really lazy imo. I preferred the way American Horror Story's Coven went about it rather than this Seems like they are still trying to figure out how they want to set it up here for future exploration: maybe they will explore problems with men in charge (Faustus, the Dark Lord) despite women being more populous? Just put witches in charge and make satan a more nebulous, inhuman deity

That said, I think Sabrina and Ambrose are phenomenal characters and well-acted. Ms. Wardwell is stealing the show though, she's hamming it up and I love it. In ep 4 when she decides to scry on Sabrina, sees she's just having a teenage relationship talk and nopes out or in ep 5 when she is going through everyone's dreams were great. The aunties started out one-note but are slowly being fleshed out and I'm starting to like them. I also like seeing how Sabrina's friends are slowly being introduced to the supernatural, I'm interested to see where that goes. I was about to stop after ep 4 but 5 and 6 have me on board, ready to finish this season out and interested where the next one goes.

I think the answer to about half of your complaints turns out to be that 'Witch society is fuuuucked and Sabrina is having absolutely none of both that and teen romance cliches'.

Like, Sabrina's just taking zero bullshit from mortals OR witches and takes problems head-on with everything availaible to her, it's pretty great.

Also, look like they do have smart phones. (they must be easy to film, really)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nessin posted:

I think it just highlights how she gets away with it for purely plot bunny reasons. Kinda destroys all credibility of the character. I binged watched the rest of the series (actually just kept it on the background while doing other stuff today) and I think you can best describe the ridiculousness of the whole series by this point in the middle of episode nine when Sabrina is talking back to Zelda trying to justify her actions and she says she stands for doing whats right, when they're literally discussing an incident under which she killed someone and resurrected a flesh eating zombie.

'I learned it from watching you, Aunt Zelda! I learned it from watching you!'

Incidentally, 1x10 shows that Zelda can actually be a pretty good parent when she needs to.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

And is there anything about this show's world that people who watched the old tv shows or apparently read the comic books (I had no idea this was a comic book, and I have no idea who Archie is) that would know that I don't? I mean I don't want to know about the spoilery stuff that might come up in the next seasons but any basic worldbuilding info would be neat.

It's hard to say, between the comics, the TV show, the animated show and various alternate timelines and spinoffs there's been a lot of takes on it. I think I've mentioned that the casual amorality of witch society and Sabrina's thing of being stuck between two worlds (and that it's hard for witches to find love) have always been a key element, but usually played for comedy.

Also, on 1x10: ahahaha oh my god I was right, Blackwood has twin brothers, twin Venture Brothers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, that's what I get for jumping the gun. And here I thought Hilda's nightmare was going to be prescient.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I kinda think of it more like Super Mario Bros of all things; the characters are basically a set of broad archetypes and characteristics with their own expected roles and stories that can be plugged into variety of genres and stories with some tweaking to fit, and they make no bones about putting them back in the box when it's done.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Paracaidas posted:

The most telling moment for me was connecting that with Zelda's nightmare, where she cooks the chubby satanic Sunday schooler and gets chastened by the devil for doing so even with their numbers dwindling.

It's an anxiety she has, and yet she'll still blanch when her niece mentions it. Though she's come around by the end of the episode when she and Sabrina leave horrified, despite her previously mentioned cravings for longpig

I'm not usually a fan of dream episodes, but I did like they went right into the anxieties of each character with an unquestioning dream-logic. And it seems like a lot of it was foreshadowing of some kind...

Zelda's nightmare was relatively low-key, but seems indicative that all the horrible and ridiculous things that witches do really are for nothing, especially since she's contrasted with Hilda's simple life skills. She's the more traditionalist of the two despite her pragmatism, and is seeing the contradictions; that witch society has become dangerously insular, exploitative and self-destructive, claiming to make these sacrifices in the name of the Dark Lord who may in fact not be impressed at all. And also ties in with how Hilda and Zelda immediately back up Sabrina with the Harrowings; even as much as cruelty is all fun and games for them, murder is something else entirely.

In short, about everything we see of witch society seems to be in utter contradiction, and Sabrina, being a half-outsider who's already been dealing with the problems of mortal society, can see pretty plainly what's wrong with a society that has far more demands and threats for her than it has incentives. And Lillith is easily capable of taking advantage of all that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huh, that’s the scene I was thinking of. I think I got it confused.

Well once again I have no idea what Archie is. I feel like I vaguely remember there being plain black and white comic books (more book than comic book) in the checkout isles at grocery stores called Archie when I was younger but I would have never associated it with this show until I kept reading vague mentions to Archie in this thread. Anyway I’m fine with pretending there’s no backstory to this and just treating it like a new thing.

Something I was wondering, that isn’t really related to the show, was wether or not people in younger generations (say born after 2000s?) would even know what Sabrina the Teenage Witch was. I vaguely remember when I was young that it was a show but it wasn’t a cartoon so I didn’t care for it. I’m 30. Honestly if the shows character was named something else I would have also never made that connection.

The Archie comics can get pretty silly. They had a crossover with the Punisher of all things, and more recently kinda milked the crack crossover well dry. (Archie vs the Predator has a hilariously bugfuck ending)

There was a Sabrina cartoon in the 00s that had the same voice for Salem (he's also Norbert in Angry Beavers) that went for a while. Was pretty average.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is heading towards Sabrina being the legendary Super Satanist isn't it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

(I'm not sure how you figure Mr Satan into that terrible joke I insist on pushing at every opportunity)

Also, here you go:

https://twitter.com/sisterb24/status/1056737428415877120

Comments are mostly dunking on her. I was right that Christian moms have zero credibility and are basically quaint in this hellworld day and age. (no less that the Satanic church is basically a riff on American Christianity)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Connor was mentioned to be from outside the coven; an orphan adopted by mortal parents. Either he's self-taught, or from another coven... or something else is going on. It's mentioned that other covens of witches exist- Wardwell claims to be from one- and they may do things differently to the Church of Night we've seen.

There's a few possibilities; given the mention of witch hunters (and it's uncertain whether that's simply a title witches give to those who hunt them and their descendants, or has other implications to it) a lone warlock is a likely easy target for them. Might be simply a case where insular and self-obsessed warlock society can't see threats under their very noses while they're busy killing each other for fun and religion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently the latest season of Riverdale has a literal D&D cult going on, I wonder if they're revving up for a crossover.

Harvey is kind of a dork but that's always been kind of a thing with him. (I remember the cartoon Harvey was basically actually pretty nerdy but the girls were all over him anyway)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Sabrina absorbed her evil twin while in utero and now that she's a full witch her evil twin will try and take over her body. Or something like that :v:

I'm sure we're not going to finish this show without someone going all Venture Bros.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FeastForCows posted:

Final point before I disappear again until I finish the show: How the hell does Sabrina not notice that the teacher lady acts and looks like a different person? Or anyone else, for that matter.

I strongly get the impression that the original Mrs Wardwell was a tragically lonely, shy person who no one paid much attention to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I knew that statue looked familiar.

CAN you copyright what you claim to be a religious icon, though?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is... it all kinds comes together if Nick Scratch really is the Dark Lord in human guise, since Wardwell said that Sabrina is being groomed to be the Dark Lord's bride, a position Wardwell wants for herself and prefers Sabrina to be a footsoldier. There's a whole bunch of plotters with various levels of information working at cross-purposes and a bunch of people with their petty whims and schemes running into each other.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

Well maybe they just know that the devil is a lil' man-kid who can't even handle onions, let alone rebellion, without having a fit and threatening punishment. That was a hilarious part of Zelda's dream, the devil being such a picky eater. What, onions too spicy for the lord of hellfire? He has the palette of a white american southerner. The whole "obligate carnivore" thing has always seemed more childish than anything, given he's supposed to be very powerful yet can't handle veggies or dairy without getting the farts. The show will end with him getting recommended a therapist who'll help him unpack his toxic masculinity.

The thing about onions is iirc actually a very old superstition or something that the Devil can't abide onions, some relation to how vampires are meant to be weakened by garlic. There's a shitload of bits of obscure lore casually mentioned in the show, at least if you've read a lot of Discworld. It all seems so fitting, too.

The Dark Church is just running on so many levels of irony I can't help but love it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The soundtrack is a little too obvious, but then again, there's just so many good songs about witches.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I hope it ends up with a love triangle between Sabrina, Satan and Cthulhu.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Edmund Lava posted:

The one complaint I have about the show it they actually toned it way down from the comic. I get it, but having Sabrina be okay with the devil worship and cannabalism until it affected her friends was a better angle.

I still can't wait to see the reaction of her mortal friends to finding out witch society is absolutely everything their crazy-rear end preachers told them it was, at least technically. And Sabrina seemed okay with the signing until she actually heard the technical details rather than the marketing copy. The cannibalism seems like something controversial even among witches, and basically only continues because even most of the would-be sacrificial victims genuinely consider it an honour. I wanna see more of the other teenage witches hanging out with mortals, that's always hilarious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Point there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Right, but it shows how Zelda thinks in regards to cannibalism, and she is not one to rock the boat when it comes to church tenets.

Zelda's definitely the more old fashioned of the family, but given her reaction to the feast it's implied she preaches a lot more than she'll practice, and her dream came off as basically a caricature of witch society in dreamlike fashion.

It seems implied that the current high priest of the dark church is a heavy traditionalist, but Sabrina's father was a reformer and not necessarily unpopular. A small religious community, especially one with living memories of active persecution, is likely to go with whoever's in charge simply because there's no one else with the clout to make changes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LongDarkNight posted:

Having a good laugh right now imaging Blackwood trying to do normal people poo poo like buy groceries.

He's rich, he probably has a personal shopper.

They definitely aren't Harry Potter witches, indications from the with hunts actually catching real ones seems to be that they can't do much without prep time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Y'know, I was gonna make jokes about the Dark Church being basically bizarro Catholics, but on further thought, they seem to be a lot more heavily based on American Protestants, not just because their coven is self-sufficient and doesn't seem to be directly connected to any higher heirarchy than the High Priest and of course their Dark Lord. Especially with their strongly insular nature and narrative of persecution and martyrdom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the impression that witch magic can be very powerful but easily interfered with if you know how, often has unintended consequences, and just kinda tends to rub off on people. Like that family curse that causes hereditary blindness but activates The Shinnin', which appears to be something that even witches can't normally do. Also being a friend to witches in rough times might have its perks down the line as well. ('magical non-binary person' is nearly as played out and dubious as 'magical negro', but then again it might be coincidental and possibly an interesting thing to explore.) I also kinda get the impression that 'witch hunter' isn't just a job title or role but a family trait.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like that Sabrina puts it in the terms of 'witches hurting witches', Hilda and Zelda are instantly on board, that they have a justified fear of persecution that easily turns to inward threats, even their own traditions. Ironic that Zelda's dream version of Satan might actually be her own conscience trying to speak to her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I imagine the higher-profile warlocks are likely the ones that have the least interaction with mortals. (because they have people to do that for them)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Or arguing with the permit board and the home-owner's association when he wants to add another bedroom for the twinsnew baby.

I get the sense that they've all got to have some sort of side gig going on unless they're born into wealth, right? They've got to buy food, they've got to pay for their electricity and plumbing, there's just not enough of them for them not to have to deal with humans for like 95% of their basic needs. I guess they could all live off in the Scary Woods by themselves like an Amish community, but it doesn't feel like Satan's giving them the spells to deal with the heavy lifting like bringing the crops in.

Or maybe they're all born into wealth and the Spellmans are just the poverty-stricken weirdos who deal with the Muggles to survive? I feel like Hot Malfoy would have thrown that in Sabrina's face, though. But it seems like a witch oughta be able to curse her way into gently caress You money pretty easily.

It doesn't seem like the Spellmans have to worry about money, between living for centuries (or at least a very long time) and having literal magical powers it probably isn't hard for witches to function in mortal society. The mortuary just seems to be a job that suits them well. (and lets them enjoy long pig on occasion)

Blackwood is definitely old money, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They did make a thing about how Salem was specifically recruited by Sabrina with the deal of being equal partners rather than expecting servitude, which you'd think should come into play at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Salem gets food, a house to sleep in, and pets and scritches. Basically,

Mymla posted:

So, Salem is literally just a cat.

To be honest, it's actually a little less weird than him being a warlock who's treated like a housecat because he's in the body of one.