Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

FeastForCows posted:

Only watched the first episode so far, but holy loving cow was this the worst example of exposition dumping that I have ever witnessed. Characters constantly referring to each other by name and/or relationship several times in a conversation, explaining things that nobody needs to know or that are already obvious ("Ah, Stolas, my familiar" YEAH NO poo poo LADY). Sabrina mentioning all three names of the weird sisters in the woods, the aunts reacting to Sabrina bringing up her parents' accident and going into full detail of what happened like she never heard it before in her life. That last part made me groan IRL.

I plan to continue watching, so I hope this gets better.

SHOW, DON'T TELL.

cinema sins-ishly]: calls her friends by their names *ding*

c'mon now OP chill out and watch the show it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

FeastForCows posted:

I know TVIV and CD have a hateboner for CinemaSins, but you have to agree that it goes a lot deeper than "calls her friends by their names". I've skipped through the first episode again to find another good example and the first twenty minutes are literally nonstop exposition shoved in your face in the most awkward and stilted way possible. You could stop at any point and the next sentences someone will speak will be about some world building details or background info on characters that nobody needs to know at this point. And that's just slightly hyperbolic. It's like they didn't know that they have a full season to establish these things and crammed everything into the first episode.

I know I'm overreacting, I'm just venting here. But I think these things were handled very poorly, to the point of being laughably bad in some instances.

Final point before I disappear again until I finish the show: How the hell does Sabrina not notice that the teacher lady acts and looks like a different person? Or anyone else, for that matter.

I think it's important to meet a show on its own level. If you're not enjoying the show like, on an emotional level, then why force yourself through it? It can't be enjoyable to watch something that's got you exasperated in an unfun way

Like I'll be real this

FeastForCows posted:

Final point before I disappear again until I finish the show: How the hell does Sabrina not notice that the teacher lady acts and looks like a different person? Or anyone else, for that matter.

is because the tone of the show is pulpy and fun and it would be a less fun show if she weren't a scenary-chewing mustache twirler. There's no "in universe" explanation needed because it simply doesn't matter. Like no one asks "why does everyone break out into song and dance" during a musical

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Put this on as haoweenish background noise the other night while we were waiting on a pizza and holy poo poo, we ended up sitting enthralled and bingeing half the season. Finished up last night. This show is way better and more fun than it should be, and I know nothing about Sabrina except I remember it being on in the 90s and the snarky talking cat.

I also had no idea Sabrina was from the same universe as Archie. It also makes me want to try Riverdale which I had totally written off.

Riverdale is absolutely pitch perfect. It's endearingly earnest and leans in and commits 100% to the absurdity and melodrama in the best ways. It's so good

I can't imagine liking Sabrina and not liking Riverdale, so you're probably good to go

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Straight White Shark posted:

I tried a couple episodes of this on a lark and I'm not sure if it's good or bad or so bad it's good

If you like it, it's good. Media doesn't have an inherent quality :)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Seems like they should be able to mine some fun plot lines from the fact that what's essentially been set up is a "friend falls in with the rich kids" scenario