Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The comic it's based on is a period piece, but the setting of this is meant to be more timeless. The biggest giveaway I've seen so far that it's not set in the 60s is that Ambrose namedrops Gaiman, Morrison, and Moore as his favorite comic writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Riverdale was mentioned in episode 1 or 2 as well, when they're leading the boys into the mines. The executive producer, Sacasa, also basically invented Riverdale the TV show and Chilling Adventures. In fact, the latter is a comic he wrote, as I mentioned earlier. He also wrote a great legit horror title, not campy at all, Afterlife With Archie, which starts off as a zombie invasion in Riverdale (initiated, appropriately enough, by Sabrina) but quickly escalates into... other kinds of horror. Both those comics kinda went on the backburner after he went all in on Riverdale and Sabrina, but I'm still hoping he at the very least does his idea of having some noncanon Riverdale episodes that loosely adapt Afterlife.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, it would be pretty futile to use any other media as a basis for comparison to any Archie property, to be honest. This is the one comic book company that doesn't even pretend to have continuity across its comics. The closest you'd come here is the recent comic of the same title (written by the showrunner of this show) but even then it's hardly anything like the new show at all.

On the other hand, even though it would be terrible I'd eat this poo poo up if they did what they were doing in the 70s and 80s when the witching world was friends with aliens--regular aliens, not witch aliens--and Sabrina would go and get witch promotions by defeating mad scientists bent on world conquest.

I will say that I'm very happy it's using the witching world as a metaphor for a male dominated world, because as a kid I was pissed that the old TV show replaced the head witch Della with a male head, Drell, for no good reason.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Finally finished; I really liked it! I did laugh at the last episode when they resurrected "The Greendale Thirteen", which sounded way too much like "The Greendale Seven" from Community.

Actually on that note I have it in my head that this is the same Greendale which Community takes place in, and a hellmouth below Greendale Community College explains why everyone who stays above it for prolonged periods of time slowly goes mad.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

(Nick) Sabrina didn't seem surprised to see him after she spoke with Harvey so I assumed she was the one who asked him to be there to stop the sisters.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

EmptyVessel posted:

iirc Nick tells Harvey that Sabrina sent him when he arrives.

I meant the night he killed Tommy. Sabrina walked out of Harvey's house and speaks with Nick, who's got the Weird Sisters bound. So he wasn't spying on her, she must have asked him to be there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Huh. Didn't expect this.

https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1061987852643266562

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

"Merry Satanmas"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://youtu.be/qpjPT0Z79fw

:woop:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Happy Solstice to all, and to all a bad night!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1337411823495102465

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, Archie has been pretty nuts the last few years. The showrunner, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, has pretty vastly different tones in all the things he's done for them--I know Riverdale is extremely over the top, but this seems a very deliberate choice because he's written them in less insane ways before. While this version of Chilling Adventures is a campy supernatural adventure kinda thing, the comic is--well, I wouldn't say the show was based on the comic in anything more than the title; the comic was a lot more like a 70s Satanic Panic horror film except with witches as the main characters, while this show gets almost like.. Harry Potter with Satan.

Sacasa's also written Afterlife With Archie, which is insane and a really good legit horror comic, which is also why I was kinda disappointed when I realized Riverdale would never be going the supernatural route. It starts off with a zombie apocalypse, but it focuses on the horror aspect of that rather than the survival aspect, then uses that as a springboard for other horror things.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, I've read/watched enough of his stuff to realize that it's not so much him being a lovely writer as it is him knowing exactly who he's writing for, and cranking that up to 11. And Riverdale... is definitely not written for me.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I just finished the Uninvited one and I was kinda hoping that they were leading up to him getting cold feet and leaving her and then she'd have to deal with having been rejected by literally the loneliest being in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's funny because there is some actual unsettling Lovecraftian terror in Afterlife With Archie, written by the same guy running Sabrina and Riverdale. I recommend reading it if you wanna see the Archie characters thrust into horror; it's actually quite well-written (which makes me kinda realize that the over the topness of the TV shows has to be on purpose and aimed squarely at a particular audience). It starts with a zombie apocalypse but it goes into other kinds of horror as well. Unfortunately, the series went on hiatus after issue 10 because Sacasa got too busy running the shows, but the few issues there are, are quality stuff.

edit: I just finished the Endless episode and after a bunch of mediocre eps, I actually really liked that one; it was some really neat and weird surreal horror stuff.

Argue fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 17, 2021