Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo the return of LaLa. I want him to kill more people so that there will be more and more people in his head entourage for him to argue with. We can rebuild him from his exploded remains, we have the technology giant fishbowl full of goo.

So Grace is some sort of shapeshifter?

ruddiger posted:

What the hell, I didn't even know he was the dude in the car that blew up until I watched this week's recap. Me and my roommate were even asking each other who was the rando who got blown up in the car since they never show Todd's face when he was driving, just his hand sticking out the window. Also, how the hell did I miss that Lala's whole "ghost friends" deal was caused by Tobias? I don't remember that scene at all.

It was Lady Eve that brought him back the first time iirc. So yea Tobias adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh poo poo the return of LaLa. I want him to kill more people so that there will be more and more people in his head entourage for him to argue with. We can rebuild him from his exploded remains, we have the technology giant fishbowl full of goo.

So Grace is some sort of shapeshifter?

It was Lady Eve that brought him back the first time iirc. So yea Tobias adjacent.

I was sorta expecting his brother to be in the back seat behind him in that last scene with LaLa. I want to say that the jury is still sorta out as to how technological LaLa's whole immortality thing is. Idk what kind of technobabble explanation there is for the tattoos suddenly appearing on his body as he starts hallucinating them.

I was honestly expecting Lady Eve in the fishbowl initially though.

But RIP Todd, I think the door's fully closed on his status barring the same procedure that was done to LaLa being done to him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If Tobias has that technology/magic that can bring people back to life, why doesn't he use it to bring other people back?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

If Tobias has that technology/magic that can bring people back to life, why doesn't he use it to bring other people back?

The resurrection stuff is Lady Eve's.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Why is the guy in charge of the containers solely determine to make supervillains out of complete lack of empathy.

He's trying to be tough man making tough decisions, but he's coming off as a bigger idiot then the principal.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just saw last week's episode. It's an obvious cinematic thing, but I love how they shoot Lala with his ghosts just casually appearing or disappearing from a scene when the camera pans naturally. It's done so well and manages to feel natural and unsettling at the same time which is exactly what they're going for with how he sees his abilities.

On a different note, though, I am really tired of spy murder puns. If Tobias says something like "let's keep it that way" and then casually kills folks it works because his character will take pleasure in saying that sort of thing and would be saying it for the sake of other folks in the room who know the sucker's gonna get it, with the Director it feels... I donno, sloppy. As soon as he confirms nobody outside the room knows about it, anyone even a little genre-savvy among the techs ought to realize they're not leaving alive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Black Lightning continues to have the best music selection out of all the superhero shows. It's not even close.

Dr Jace is totally going to try and kill Cutter since she feels like she is losing influence with Tobias.

I'm wondering when that teleporter dude is finally going to make it to Freeland. I hope he shows up next week during the finale.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
At least we know now that despite his other flaws, Agent Odell is at least not a pervert.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Black Lightning continues to have the best music selection out of all the superhero shows. It's not even close.

I was telling my roommate last night the problem with this show is that the music is so drat good, you kinda want the characters to stop talking so you can listen to the song by itself. That song playing under the scene with Lala and the doctor was flames.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I was telling my roommate last night the problem with this show is that the music is so drat good, you kinda want the characters to stop talking so you can listen to the song by itself. That song playing under the scene with Lala and the doctor was flames.

Speaking of that guy, I'm curious if he doesn't have a tank set up for Lady Eve or something. An untimely death seems like something she'd prepare for, particularly one caused by Tobias.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Speaking of that guy, I'm curious if he doesn't have a tank set up for Lady Eve or something. An untimely death seems like something she'd prepare for, particularly one caused by Tobias.

The way he was gazing at the tank behind them I assumed she was in it and not regenning as fast as Lala for whatever reason.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
She was electrocuted pretty hard.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's a shame nobody seems to post much in here. That was a drat good season finale; this show deserves more attention than it gets.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Amen to that. Lala just keeps getting dumped on.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
yeah not bad, but yesh lightning is kinda lame in her story arc.

We finally got the big black lightning vs tobias fight we've been waiting for.

Lala needs to start absorbing other dead. Bring back that dead techie for starters because honestly he died prematurely.

but cripse, they need to reinforce the buddy system.

and maybe, just maybe, we can finally put tobias whale on legends of tomarrow. :)

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

The Lord Bude posted:

It's a shame nobody seems to post much in here. That was a drat good season finale; this show deserves more attention than it gets.

It's because of the typo in the thread title.

This is why I shouldn't make threads.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I mean the show's still good, but this season felt really scattershot compared to last year and the finale was a little underwhelming to me. Without characters representing them the Markovians feel like too amorphous a threat to support Bill Duke's dire warnings, and the battle between Tobias and the Pierce family felt disconnected from the city at large when it should have been a fight for the city's soul.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

shades of eternity posted:

yeah not bad, but yesh lightning is kinda lame in her story arc.

We finally got the big black lightning vs tobias fight we've been waiting for.

Lala needs to start absorbing other dead. Bring back that dead techie for starters because honestly he died prematurely.

but cripse, they need to reinforce the buddy system.

and maybe, just maybe, we can finally put tobias whale on legends of tomarrow. :)

Tobias is in super secret triple probation until they feel like he's appropriate to trot out again. I'm kinda disappointed that the Grace plotline is basically on the furthest back burner while Painkiller is also on ice so he's another piece of salvo ready to be launched, just in case.

The plots are starting to veer into Arrow territory where the scale of the plot is stretching way beyond Freeland. That said, we'll probably be getting characters like Geo-Force and Halo and maybe Metamorpho to fill out all of the unused OG Outsiders. The new villain would likely be Baron Bedlam and/or the Bad Samaritan.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Jace is fantastic. She only has 2 priorities: survival and evil science. Also hurray black Nightcrawler finally made it to Freeland.

Oh gently caress Khalil isn't dead? I was hoping he would stay dead. Maybe he will die next season in the Markovian War

shades of eternity posted:

Tobias has the best evil laugh.

e: Tobias killed / pushed everyone away and now he's in Tron supermax.

The Jefferson's work together and are happy and victorious. :3:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 19, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Without characters representing them the Markovians feel like too amorphous a threat to support Bill Duke's dire warnings
The idea of superheroes as military weapons is really dumb (unless they're on the level of Superman or the Flash) and the idea of this tiny European nation attacking an American city is also really dumb. No matter how many metahumans they've got in their army, America would absolutely crush them. Them sending agents to covertly kidnap metahumans is fine. Them actually overtly attacking or even doing anything on a scale that anyone notices would be suicide.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I mean we really have no idea how many or what power level Markovia's meta program consists of, my real problem with it is that I don't want Black Lightning to be the stage for an international meta war, up to this point I have really enjoyed the fact that this show was really about one specific community at the street level.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

pile of brown posted:

I mean we really have no idea how many or what power level Markovia's meta program consists of, my real problem with it is that I don't want Black Lightning to be the stage for an international meta war, up to this point I have really enjoyed the fact that this show was really about one specific community at the street level.

I'm expecting it to just be a doomsday scenario that they're trying to prevent like the world blowing up in Season 6 Agents of SHIELD or Protocol 10 waay back in Arkham City. Lots of train cars and freight liners blowing up to stop meta technology or drugs from getting out to some mysterious buyer.

Anyway, this got added to Netflix at some point and I only recently noticed to binge through it the last two days and I gotta say, 1) I'm sad that Tobias never got darted when Kahlil decided he needed to catch these hands. I'm sure that it wouldn't have worked because of his tough skin but I would've liked an attempt at the least. 2) The final fight with Tobias was pretty lackluster aside from stopping Jennifer from (Rightly) killing him for ripping her boyfriend's spine out with his bare hands.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So was there anything new that came out of the DC/CW Comic Con presentation for Black Lightning compared to Flash/Arrow/Legends/Supergirl/Batwoman?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

So was there anything new that came out of the DC/CW Comic Con presentation for Black Lightning compared to Flash/Arrow/Legends/Supergirl/Batwoman?

The only thing I saw was a 5 min highlight reel / recap for season 2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0tZlDFJpNl/

Strap the gently caress in, folks. Black Lightning is an Arrowverse show now.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I want him to just show up, save them from one of Barry's antics, shake his head at them, and leave.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ApeHawk posted:

I want him to just show up, save them from one of Barry's antics, shake his head at them, and leave.

"... white people"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I feel like Nora and Jennifer would get on well together. Put them together and you've almost got a whole person's worth of maturity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I feel like Nora and Jennifer would get on well together. Put them together and you've almost got a whole person's worth of maturity.

How dare you compare Nora to Jennifer. Jen is actually being cool, likeable, not cavorting with a known (unrepentant) super villain, occasionally right, and not erased from existence because she sucked :colbert:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

How dare you compare Nora to Jennifer. Jen is actually being cool, likeable, not cavorting with a known (unrepentant) super villain, occasionally right, and not erased from existence because she sucked :colbert:

Jen isn’t nearly as bad as Nora but she still fulfils the same character archetype in black lightning that Nora fills in the Flash.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope he doesn't get infected by the bad writing from the arrowverse :ohdear:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope he doesn't get infected by the bad writing from the arrowverse :ohdear:

Extremely same

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcHG6xoU6fw

Season 3 trailer for the five people who're still following this thread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Markovia stuff is really dumb and bad and I do not see an entire season based around it working at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that they're gonna try something new instead of trying to do a drawn out threat like Tobias (or like any of the CW shows have been with the "work up to one central villain" formula) for another season, but simultaneously I am also really doubtful that this is gonna work.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Tobias works as a long running antagonist though because he rarely acts directly and even though he has beef with BL he has other goals/plans too, unlike all the season long Flash villains who all just specifically hate the Flash and are loving with him on purpose.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pile of brown posted:

Tobias works as a long running antagonist though because he rarely acts directly and even though he has beef with BL he has other goals/plans too, unlike all the season long Flash villains who all just specifically hate the Flash and are loving with him on purpose.

Yeah, that was kind of refreshing last season, was just watching Tobias plug away in the background seemingly without giving a poo poo about Black Lightning, when it was the Pierce family who were more active in trying to gently caress with him and his operations, and even then only rarely did they cross paths. Giving Tobias a life outside of Black Lightning really made him a villain and a character with staying power.

I really hope they do that thing that Krondon was teasing earlier and have Tobias and Jeff forced to work together for their mutual survival even though they still both loving hate each other and are going to go right back to trying to kill each other after the Markovians are dealt with.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I really hope they do that thing that Krondon was teasing earlier and have Tobias and Jeff forced to work together for their mutual survival even though they still both loving hate each other and are going to go right back to trying to kill each other after the Markovians are dealt with.

The team up everyone has been waiting for! :v: They will probably come to blows right away haha.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This season feels almost Arrow-esque in how the stakes are being crazily raised. I hope they handle it a little better than Arrow does though since the citywide occupation seems to be much more open and longer lasting and the series does also tend to focus on the effects of the series's goings-on in the rest of Freeland rather than just what directly affects the main cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Season 3 thread here