Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's Castlevania! Season 2! Based on video games!

This is Trevor Belmont! He's a vampire hunter!

This is Dracula! He's bad!

This is Adrian, but you can call him Alucard! He's Dracula's kid, but not a jerk!

This is Sypha! She does magic!

Season 2 is out right now! Netflix spoiler rules apply!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This season is focusing a lot more on Dracula and his army than I assumed and it rules.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Im just hoping Ellis gets the stick out of his rear end and adds Grant Dynasty.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Holy poo poo Episode 7 Bloody Tears gently caress yes

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Im just hoping Ellis gets the stick out of his rear end and adds Grant Dynasty.

100% this. Grant was my favorite helper back when Dracula's Curse came out, and I feel very slighted by his exclusion.

Only watched the first episode, but wanted to mention two things:

--Peter Stormare unsurprisingly owns

--zombie dog is absolutely adorable

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Just finished the series: Its real good. A bit more of a slower burn with a Game of Thrones type feel to it. When the action does happen its very short, brutal and flows beautifully. Alucard takes a bit more of a leadish role on the heroes side (with the dynamic between the three being very fun to watch) while most of the plot and story goes to the other Vampires/Demon Forgers.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Isaac is my new favorite character.

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012
This was a fun season. I still can't believe all of the references to other Castlevania games and even a nod to Dark Souls.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Waffleman_ posted:

They better have a proof of blood variant or so help me god.

Is there really a wall chicken though?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Being a mage seems dope in this universe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Being a mage seems dope in this universe.

Extremely overpowered but hey, cleary didnt make her fall for a better class of man.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Waffleman_ posted:

I really dug that, it wasn't unexpected but it was very welcome when it came. I was watching the show thinking "hey season 1 had that cool cyclops fight, the demon fight, Belmont owning priests, and that so crazily rad Trevor vs. Alucard fight that I find myself watching like once a month, where's the action?" And then the action came and boy was it worth the wait.

This show's already been renewed for a third season and I'm totally on board to see where they go from here, especially when the story focus wasn't at all in the ratio I was expecting going in to season 2.

The quality of Castlevania gives me hopes that more people will realize that video game to animation is a pretty smooth transition that can be done way cheaper than a movie, basically working on a sliding scale of budget and still having a solid chance of turning out well. Off the top of my head I can imagine great animated shows based off Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, some of which I know has seen some proper animated material already but nothing like a series that I know of. Just lean into animated adaptations of all the games that have really cool looking fights in them already and market it to adults instead of just doing the occasional Sonic or Megaman animated show that appeared during my childhood.

Another small touch that I really liked, noticed it on the first viewing but it only impresses me more on the third or fourth: 2x07Sypha tears her sleeve when she's about to tend to her arm scratches and my immediate thought was "Oh time for the standard use your clothing to wrap the wound deal" but instead she just claps a hand on it and burns it to cauterize it. I think that quick little moment had to be intentional and it really moved her badass ranking up with me a lot, probably the best quick character moment of the season for me in a show that's full of quick character moments and witty banter on the heroes' side.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 27, 2018

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I hope they resurrect Dracula for the next season, except he's gently caress boy bachelor Dracula who gives no fucks instead of grieving widow Dracula. I mean, grieving Dracula was great but I feel like we'd all like to see Dracula prime.

Also, I wouldn't mind if they just completely changed around canon pacing for the show. Have Shanoa from Order of Ecclesia show up. Have it be the next season be set in 2035 and it's a Da Vinci code style adventure where Soma has to figure out how to seal Dracula while hunting down clues across the world. Have Charlotte and Jonathan show up except they're like Hodor and can only yell each other's names.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 27, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The only gripe I’ve had is that I’m less of a fan of Belmont’s character, but I think a lot of that is the voice actor’s line reading. It’s almost too indifferent to any situation and comes across as monotone/lifeless. Especially in comparison to the guy who voices Dracula, who should win an Emmy.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Just finished season 2. It’s really incredible. Every character is interesting and complex, with maybe one exception. The action rules really hard, and moves in ways that I’ve never seen from a tv show or movie. It’s a really unique experience, and I love that they ended it with Alucard crying alone in his dad’s study. I was surprised the show actually went there.

This show does fan service right. It’s not incredibly obvious or in your face, it just happens and is a nod to people who’ve played the games. It’s also not fan service in place of content or quality.

Really impressed with this show, I have no problems with it at all. It even ends at a point where I’m satisfied with how much I’ve seen, and excited for season 3.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Love the season, was definitely a slow burn going into the back half. I went in thinking this was it, at least in so far as I had heard that it was supposed to be a trilogy or something and this was to close it out. 4 episodes + (4+4 episodes). It made sense in my head at least for it to be 12 episodes total. All the hanging plot threads were actually quite suprising. Also have to give props that while the show is a hard R, they never resorted to fan service with Sypha. Was wondering if that would happen and I'm glad she remained competent, respected and :3: throughout.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah for an animated MA show there's no terrible fanservice. I anticipate some think pieces on why the show is SJW propaganda because of it.
Also I got a laugh out of Syphas sudden turn against the speakers aversion to books. "My people are stupid."

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Isaac is my new favorite character.

I'm only in episode 1, but unless he becomes more unhinged and camp like his video game counterpart, and god knows this show needs more characters who aren't so cold and serious all the time, I think he might be the most disappointing part of the show. Please tell me he doesn't stay like this for the rest of the season.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 27, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wouldn't say unhinged, but his character definitely pays off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All in all I thought it was pretty good, though the animation quality is still a little janky and the 3d effects next to it still look weird to me. I like how the whole thing is a look at how everyone who isn't Sypha and Camilla, mostly, are broken by the world, with the thing that ultimately defeats Dracula being a moment of clarity. It was a more interesting direction to take it than just monster whippin'.

Deliciouscesium posted:

This was a fun season. I still can't believe all of the references to other Castlevania games and even a nod to Dark Souls.

What was the Dark Souls reference?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I have never played a Castlevania game but I am an animation & comics fan so Warren Ellis being involved was all I needed to give Season 1 a go when it came out, and I liked it. I watched an episode a day and found it a visual treat, well-acted and witty, with a mature approach to violence and swearing that enhanced the world and characters.

I absolutely inhaled Season 2, which I found utterly compelling and engrossing. Season 2 spoilers: Sypha as the peacekeeper between Alucard and Trevor was so much fun, and I loved how she was never holier than thou, with her saying her people should write things down, as noted above by Elderbean. The pacing was really good too, though I do wish that the vampire generals could have had more focus without losing that. I loved their designs, as well as Hector and Isaac's, but Godbrand ruled for a short but very sweet role and I would undie for Carmilla. :hai:

Super excited for Season 3, which is really set up interestingly.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Spermando posted:

I'm only in episode 1, but unless he becomes more unhinged and camp like his video game counterpart, and god knows this show needs more characters who aren't so cold and serious all the time, I think he might be the most disappointing part of the show. Please tell me he doesn't stay like this for the rest of the season.

They go a different direction with the character compared to the games that I enjoyed. You won’t get much of a sense for that difference until the final episode.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The dawning realisation from that one vampire running along Syphia's ice wall that he had hosed up was brilliant.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is Tommy Wiseau voicing that Viking vampire? Weirdest accent and line reading I’ve ever heard.

There’s some very nice bits to it and beautiful backgrounds but the animation is still incredibly clunky compared to anything from Japan or Korea’s Studio Mir. There’s a huge learning curve to getting Americans to do anime style and they’re improving but probably only a few people on the team really get it and they’re concentrating on the action scenes.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Is Tommy Wiseau voicing that Viking vampire?

Peter Stormare

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It definitely got me to remember the character but drat is it an odd accent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's Swedish.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Great ending, I like that they put in time for a proper epilogue to things too. Though I can't help but think Carmilla's little plan to beat Hector into servitude has a certain flaw to it, since I seem to recall it being stated what a forgemaster creates is loyal to him. Was kind of surprised when I checked the wiki to find out he and Isaac actually had a game based around them fighting each other, I imagine that's probably where the next season is going given how much time they got (and Isaac would certainly explain Dracula coming back from the dead).

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

What was the Dark Souls reference?

A quick Abyss Watchers reference. The scene where Godbrand was killing hunting humans in the snow one by one and the last guy turned around from the cliff. He assumed the Abyss Watchers duel stance before getting murdered.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is this as much of a cocktease as the first season was? Build-up for a couple episodes and then just kinda ends?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, this is basically the rest of the plot. It's a slow burn, but there is resolution.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think my favorite little bit from this season is Sypha just offhandedly mentioning that the Speakers see themselves as the enemies of God.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah Sypha's p much the best.

Deliciouscesium posted:

A quick Abyss Watchers reference. The scene where Godbrand was killing hunting humans in the snow one by one and the last guy turned around from the cliff. He assumed the Abyss Watchers duel stance before getting murdered.

Oh yeah, I remember thinking there "wait a moment isn't that...?" at the time too, just totally slipped my mind.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I loved just about everything about this season except for some dodgy animation, but to me the entire series was really worth it just for the build up to episode 7 and everything in it. I really wish more shows took the time to do something like episode 8 as well. I'm really excited to see where they go with the next season and beyond.

Going by what Shankar has said I'd love to see what they could do with SotN and/or Soma. It'd suck to lose Trevor and Sypha but I have faith in the team and I think they could make it work with Alucard being the connecting narrative.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Episode 7 was a proper series climax done loving right and I must have watched it three or four times now because it's just so damned cool.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The action is so drat good in this show. Everyone fights so differently, and the movement is so exaggerated and cool.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Really good show, amazing action setpieces.

Something that took me out of it was that the acting sometimes evoked the old "You can write this poo poo but you can't say it George" Harrison Ford quote. The actors needed to make the dialogue their own a little more, some of their lines were just clunky. It also felt a little slow early but that helped the last few episodes seem like anything could happen.

Issac killing Godbrand was the first Oh poo poo moment then it just kept going.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The English voiceover is so strange. It's like there's a baby sleeping in the recording booth and the actors are trying not to wake it up. I watch the episodes in French or German, where the voice direction makes more sense.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Darksaber posted:

I loved just about everything about this season except for some dodgy animation, but to me the entire series was really worth it just for the build up to episode 7 and everything in it. I really wish more shows took the time to do something like episode 8 as well. I'm really excited to see where they go with the next season and beyond.

Absolutely agree, it's so refreshing to not have the wrap up and/or setup be 3-5 minutes at the end of 22+ episodes of a series. That this devoted an entire episode of the 12 released so far to check in with the characters was fantastic. Some serious poo poo went down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
This show rules, although something always feels subtly off in a way I'm having trouble pinning down... still it dosn't detract too much because, it rules.