Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's not a Muslim.

He's Sufi, which is a sect of Islam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's not a Muslim.

He was raised as a Sufi Muslim, and he still holds to at least some of his old practices (like flagellation and avoiding alcohol). He's at the very least on the periphery of the faith.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Thundercracker posted:

I also loved how the explosions weren't just for show. They were AOEs that tossed vampires like rag dolls.

I'd like to see that in a Castlevania game. And on that subject... I wonder if we'll be getting a new game out of this.

Edit: At least I don't remember anything like that in the older games. I haven't played the newer ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sadly unlikely, Konami's pretty much totally disinterested in making new games of anything lately.

Apparently Sony or another company might be interested in buying the rights that Konami are just sitting on.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's not a Muslim.

He literally invokes Muhammad regularly throughout the show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The ship captain straight up asks him which version of Sufism he practices. :psyduck:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
its one of the best scenes of dialogue in the series

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sadly unlikely, Konami's pretty much totally disinterested in making new games of anything lately.

Apparently Sony or another company might be interested in buying the rights that Konami are just sitting on.

That seems like a smart move for all involved, Konami gets free money and then someone can get back to making Castlevania and Metal Gear games, along with whatever other IP they have. MG is super tied in with Kojima's vision, but I know I'd be on board with someone new taking a stab at it, maybe with the same mechanics and in the same universe but mostly focusing on telling a new story with new characters. After how wide scale MGS5 was, it'd be interesting to see some smaller sized and less open levels again, and I think the episodic/mission approach that Hitman has taken lately could be applied really well with MGS, using lots of items and techniques to subdue targets. It doesn't necessarily have to be super big and ambitious, I know that's what everyone's expecting from the franchise but I wouldn't want to try that as the first direct followup.

Anyway, I think a lot of the IP Konami's just sitting on would be pretty much guaranteed to make decent money even with a bad game, and piles of money with a good one. Castlevania of course is a pretty easy thing to do on a low budget if you stick to that classic 2D style.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Metal Gear Solid 5 Phantom pain would have been good multi season animated series too.

Just a whole filler episode of Miller plying Code Talker with Hamburgers.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Metal Gear is nothing without Kojima's crazy rear end

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

itry posted:

I'd like to see that in a Castlevania game. And on that subject... I wonder if we'll be getting a new game out of this.

Edit: At least I don't remember anything like that in the older games. I haven't played the newer ones.

I think we'll absolutely get a new game out of this.... a new mobile auto idle Gacha game with a season pass and premium skins!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ghostnuke posted:

You'd lose a lot of the special sauce of it without him, but the core gameplay could still be really fun and I think his replacement could come up with similarly crazy bosses to fight.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

NowonSA posted:

You'd lose a lot of the special sauce of it without him, but the core gameplay could still be really fun and I think his replacement could come up with similarly crazy bosses to fight.

I'd say there'd be less chance of something like Quiet happening again, but I'd be lying to myself.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Thundercracker posted:

I think we'll absolutely get a new game out of this.... a new mobile auto idle Gacha game with a season pass and premium skins!

Can't wait.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Castlevania gacha is already out in JP and Canada.

They're also not just sitting on their properties, they using them as themes for slot machines and that won't be changing anytime soon. A new theme for a slot machine costs a tiny fraction of the cost of game development and makes more money in a year than a game does in it's entire lifetime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostnuke posted:

He wasn't directly in charge of Rising and it's the best and most insane game in the series.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Castlevania gacha is already out in JP and Canada.

They're also not just sitting on their properties, they using them as themes for slot machines and that won't be changing anytime soon. A new theme for a slot machine costs a tiny fraction of the cost of game development and makes more money in a year than a game does in it's entire lifetime.

https://youtu.be/yr4RvdREwl8

I really like this video speculating that P.T. being a big gently caress you to Konami goes into detail about the turf battle happening between Kojima and the eventual young upstart that usurped him.

It really showed how vividly profitable Gacha games are. It's not a matter of degrees but kind.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

He was raised as a Sufi Muslim, and he still holds to at least some of his old practices (like flagellation and avoiding alcohol). He's at the very least on the periphery of the faith.

Shageletic posted:

He's Sufi, which is a sect of Islam.

Ok that was just my mistake and ignorance. I thought Sufi was something different from Islam. I thought when the Captain asked if he was a muslim and Issac said he was Sufi he was correcting him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Sound on.

https://i.imgur.com/lD565DJ.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

He wasn't directly in charge of Rising and it's the best and most insane game in the series.

Platinum is about the closest thing, mind.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok that was just my mistake and ignorance. I thought Sufi was something different from Islam. I thought when the Captain asked if he was a muslim and Issac said he was Sufi he was correcting him.

Loose equivalent might be a Christian specifying if they're Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox etc. (I'm not sure if Protestants are a thing in the show's implicit timeframe yet, for that matter)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Platinum is about the closest thing, mind.

Loose equivalent might be a Christian specifying if they're Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox etc. (I'm not sure if Protestants are a thing in the show's implicit timeframe yet, for that matter)

Not exactly. Sufism is a blanket term for Islamic mysticism. It's like a Jew specifying they're a Kabbalist, or a Christian saying they follow the Threefold Path. In this setting, it probably means that Isaac learned some of his magic as part of his religious education.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so my choices are be a Muslim with NO magic powers... or I can be a Muslim with INSANE magic powers... hmmmm.... tough... tough choice...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, we've already got a prominent society of Jewish mystics, the Speakers. Muslims might as well join in too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so my choices are be a Muslim with NO magic powers... or I can be a Muslim with INSANE magic powers... hmmmm.... tough... tough choice...

Well we know which one all the muggles picked huh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One Castlevania does really, really well is highlight that the only difference between Catholicism and Demon Worship is the window dressing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, we've already got a prominent society of Jewish mystics, the Speakers. Muslims might as well join in too.

I thought they were like, Gnostics.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is the implication that the Judge was killing children?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is the implication that the Judge was killing children?

Yes he was sending them all to die in the spike pit and he was keeping their shoes as trophies like a Serial Killer.

It’s so Sypha can see the crux of Trevor’s cursed existence. He is the destined savior of humanity... but why bother saving such a miserable race of shitbags?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes he was sending them all to die in the spike pit and he was keeping their shoes as trophies like a Serial Killer.

It’s so Sypha can see the crux of Trevor’s cursed existence. He is the destined savior of humanity... but why bother saving such a miserable race of shitbags?

Also, it's part of the show's developing thesis about what vampires actually are, and why it's not just about the teeth and the pointy ears.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I want the philosophy demon to read to me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lurdiak posted:

It's the only one I've even played since Metal Gear Solid 2 and it was a loving blast. I enjoy the gameplay, characters etc. in Metal Gear games but the writing and prevalence of interminably long non-gameplay sections kill the games for me despite all that there is to like in them. So if someone besides Kojima makes a new Metal Gear game, i'll be all over it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

tsob posted:

It's the only one I've even played since Metal Gear Solid 2 and it was a loving blast. I enjoy the gameplay, characters etc. in Metal Gear games but the writing and prevalence of interminably long non-gameplay sections kill the games for me despite all that there is to like in them. So if someone besides Kojima makes a new Metal Gear game, i'll be all over it.

You missed 3 then, which is mostly gameplay and all the cutscenes are funny, and is universally known as the best.

Also Peace Walker which is pretty much all gameplay and few cutscenes, relatively.

Hell, the problem with PP is that it pretty much drops story halfway through and you're just playing an open world game with little narrative.

4 is the one that all cutscenes and no gameplay. The other ones generally scaled back from 2.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Plus 4 was basically impossible to understand if you hadn’t played the first three, and 5 assumed that you had seen Peace Walker’s secret ending (when before, it was basically seen as a mobile filler game).

3, on the other hand, was basically as self-contained as you can get with a prequel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though they had released a legacy collection set and some others with Peace Walker bundled with 2 and 3 on the 360 and PS3.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I've chimed in on MGS before, but to expand on that: I think that any remotely interesting game IP should keep being made, even if it gets passed around to different publishers/developers and directors. Even when the game comes out and sucks, it doesn't ruin past games for me. Even with dense story focused games like MGS if the story choices made or gameplay really don't appeal to me (looking at you Metal Gear Survive), I find it a lot easier to disregard a canon game in a series than a canon movie or t.v. show. So for me it's low risk and high reward, though others may feel differently.

There's apparently going to be another Bioshock game, for instance, and I'm happy to see that there's at least a potential for another fun game there, and that an interesting setting isn't being left by the wayside just because it turned out to not be a commercial success.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Darko posted:

Hell, the problem with PP is that it pretty much drops story halfway through and you're just playing an open world game with little narrative.

Correction, a bad, unfinished open world game. That's the real issue. That game's core engine is extremely good but the open world is a vast empty void that sucks.

And then they make you do the horrible interminable opening stage again. :gonk:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And then they had a genuinely awesome-sounding “for real, this is the finale” mission that got dropped (which had the side effect of leaving one of the remaining subplots hanging).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though they had released a legacy collection set and some others with Peace Walker bundled with 2 and 3 on the 360 and PS3.

Yeah, that's where I first played it. That was the one that updated 3's gameplay if I recall (made it play a lot smoother, but also made it a bit too easy).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darko posted:

Yeah, that's where I first played it. That was the one that updated 3's gameplay if I recall (made it play a lot smoother, but also made it a bit too easy).

Is that the Substinence version? I remember the original apparently had a really bad camera angle more like MGS 1 and 2, while the rerelease made it more Monster Hunter style.

I also remember struggling on Volgin the first time around since I'd never bothered with CQC, and my brother had the same problem so he asked me to beat Volgin for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is that the Substinence version? I remember the original apparently had a really bad camera angle more like MGS 1 and 2, while the rerelease made it more Monster Hunter style.

I also remember struggling on Volgin the first time around since I'd never bothered with CQC, and my brother had the same problem so he asked me to beat Volgin for him.

Yep, that's it. I kind of like the bad angle hardness now, although I'll admit the better camera is technically the better game.