Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It was written by Ellis, so yeah, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

God Ellis why you have to be such a piece of poo poo, that sounds awesome

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

multijoe posted:

Netflix are never going to make this a 12 season series going through every major arc of the games, if the new showrunner decide they want to use their time to do Dracula War or Soma rather than the 80s Conan knockoff guy power to them

Hey if they decide to go with something else I'm fine with it, but I don't buy the logic that they'd be sitting there clutching their heads, unable to think of a way to adapt Simon's story because the games don't have built-in sidekicks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Technowolf posted:

Has Netflix done any shows that lasted more than 3 or 4 seasons? I get the feeling that at least one executive there still thinks that the "65 then syndication" rule still applies.

Netflix has harsher diminishing returns on shows than your typical broadcast show. Broadcast has ad revenue to offset the increasing costs of shows as contracts get renegotiated depending on a shows popularity. Original shows drive subs, but is an expensive season 5 of a show really going to drive sub numbers the way a cheaper, newer show is going to?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I unfortunately (for Dracula) get the vibe that the series intends to set up the Castlevania status quo as something Dracula doesn't get much of a choice in.

Making every villain a boring, depressed ivory tower person was a really poor choice. The tone of the entire series felt off.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Should have made the land pirate a main villain imo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Should have made the land pirate a main villain imo.

Hey now, Godbrand did his best.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That is a very compelling trailer. I think sometimes the pacing of the show is a little odd, but I enjoyed the first 3 seasons and am excite for a 4th especially getting back to vampire dracula things.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Speaking of, should we have a new thread, or request a title change for this one?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I vote for a title change since it's the last season by this creative team, and it's either offshoots or a cancelation by Netflix from here.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Andrigaar posted:

I vote for a title change since it's the last season by this creative team, and it's either offshoots or a cancelation by Netflix from here.

Castlevania S4: Girl, you must be Wallachian... because Wallachian me crazy

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm genuinely psyched for this season. Vampire Stahma and her sistren are fuckijg great villains, and I'm excited to finally see them spack some poo poo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Assuming this show keeps going in spinoffs, I'd really like to see how they'd tackle a Simon story. A one-man army storming Dracula's castle and killing him and all his minions, then having to trek across the land putting Dracula back together so he can kill him again, is an awesome setup for a story. The only problem is he doesn't really have any side characters to play off of other than a few weird townspeople and a boatman, so I'm genuinely interested to see how they'd put it together. I guess just invent new characters whole cloth?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

The only problem is he doesn't really have any side characters to play off of other than a few weird townspeople and a boatman,

Descendant of the Pirate of the Roads?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Captain N, obviously.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

sticklefifer posted:

Assuming this show keeps going in spinoffs, I'd really like to see how they'd tackle a Simon story. A one-man army storming Dracula's castle and killing him and all his minions, then having to trek across the land putting Dracula back together so he can kill him again, is an awesome setup for a story. The only problem is he doesn't really have any side characters to play off of other than a few weird townspeople and a boatman, so I'm genuinely interested to see how they'd put it together. I guess just invent new characters whole cloth?

I was thinking about it the other day, because I've never played any of the Castevania games from before Symphony of the Night and wondered, do most people even know or care much about Simon, Richter etc? The idea that they're the big stars of the franchise, or at least the most famous protagonists of the franchise and so deserve some love in a Castlevania show, has come up before but I'm not sure in thinking over it how many people care about them in reality. I don't think either of them has had a major role in any of the Castlevania games since the early parts of the franchise, before Symphony of the Night and I think a lot of people might only know about them now from the Smash games. The post Symphony of the Night stuff, especially the DS games appears to be more well known and well regarded from what I can tell, rather than earlier stuff including the Belmont clan.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dude I’m gonna level with you in 2021 the only people who know anything
about Castlevania are the same people who knew anything about it 10 years ago. It has the same cultural relevance today as, like, Chrono Trigger or something. Even the most respectful Gen-Z gamers understand the reference when someone says Metroidvania (sort of) but you’d be hard pressed to find anyone under 35 whose played more of the series than “Bloodstained” or maybe, MAYBE, SotN.

Sitting down to play one of Simon’s games would be like busting out the ‘ol Duckhunt cartridge and blowing into it for old times sake.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What Castlevania games are worth playing / accessible these days?

I'm slamming through Hollow Knight right now and I could go for more.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Order of Ecclesia is a goon favourite and a 50/50 metroidvania and linear action platformer. If you'd like a more conventional metroidvania Sympony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow would both be good places to start, though SOTN is absolutely piss-easy

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Everything after SotN pretty much. SOTN's low difficulty comes mostly from learning super busted RPG mechanics. If you don't know them, don't look up anything online and it'll be a decent challenge.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The sidescroller action games are all available in a collection from Konami on all modern platforms.

The Metroidvania ones: on Xbox Symphony of the Night is back compatible and on Playstation there is a PS4 collection that includes it. Xbox also has Harmony of Despair backwards compatible which is a loot grind multiplayer remix of games across the series history done as metroidvania styled mini dungeons but is hideously expensive to buy all the content and dead as hell since its a 360 era multiplayer game.

The rest of the metroidvania games are trapped on their original systems or closed e-shops

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bust Rodd posted:

Dude I’m gonna level with you in 2021 the only people who know anything
about Castlevania are the same people who knew anything about it 10 years ago. It has the same cultural relevance today as, like, Chrono Trigger or something. Even the most respectful Gen-Z gamers understand the reference when someone says Metroidvania (sort of) but you’d be hard pressed to find anyone under 35 whose played more of the series than “Bloodstained” or maybe, MAYBE, SotN.

Sitting down to play one of Simon’s games would be like busting out the ‘ol Duckhunt cartridge and blowing into it for old times sake.

It hasn't had a (non-mobile) game since 2014 looking at Wikipedia to be fair, and even then, it was only the Lords of Shadow stuff. Which wasn't a commercial flop by any means, and I thought were decent for what they were, but they weren't particulaly Castlevania-y games either. The last game that most people probably consider a core game true to the franchise is Order of Eccelsia in 2008. Which is going back a bit now.

Barudak posted:

The rest of the metroidvania games are trapped on their original systems or closed e-shops

I'd love a Switch collection of the various gameboy/DS era games. It probably won't happen, but it'd be amazing if it did.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Castlevania Requiem and the Collection are on sale on the Playstation store right now. For ~15 bux you can own all of them up to Symphony.

Edit: If you wanna get silly, you can head on over to https://limitedrungames.com/ and get a physical copy that looks like it comes in a NES or Genesis box.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 12, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If someone is interested in the series because of Hollow Knight I'm not sure how much value they're neccessarily going to get out of the 'literally the least mobile platform characters in history' Belmont era games

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Symphony of the Night is the only Castlevania game I would recommend in good conscience, maybe the Gameboy one with the cards you combined for different spells?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Find some way to play Rondo of Blood

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I want to say that Rondo of Blood is more well known than we're giving it credit for, but at the same time Konami opted to say that the intro to SotN was the ending to Bloodlines because they wouldn't officially release Rondo outside of Japan for several more years. This also made me go back and try to do all the cool uppercut and dash moves in Rondo and be sad.

That leaves Castlevania fans, emulation kids looking for ISO's to use with Magic Engine back in the day, the retro curious, and the type of people that go "ACKSHUALLY IN NIPPON THEY--" for the types that would already know about how cool Richter is. This might not be the biggest group of people to target, but it does however feature Maria as an rear end kicking protagonist and summoner so it's not all swords and whips.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hollow Knight is best is genre, barring Super Metroid, so all the Castlevanias are steps down unfortunately. That said, all the Gameboy games from Advance onwards are great and still very playable, although some get dragged down by gimmicks. SotN is great, and worth giving a go to experience where the modern Castlevanias came from. It's starting to show a little bit of it's age now with frequent long backtracks but the core gameplay still rocks.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Gizmodo review of season 4

Fair warning. There are no real spoilers in that piece. But there's sort of a minor spoiler in there even if it doesn't actually say how. It says the when of something.

tl;dr: Lot's of people talking, great action pieces and a good ending. So it sounds exactly like the previous seasons. I'm ready for this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Open Source Idiom posted:

wedgie deliverer posted:

Everything after SotN pretty much. SOTN's low difficulty comes mostly from learning super busted RPG mechanics. If you don't know them, don't look up anything online and it'll be a decent challenge.

The quality of the post-SOTN games varies wildly, with Harmony of Dissonance and Dawn of Sorrow being particularly slapped together and bad. SOTN had an enormous amount of work put into its level design and progression that the rest of the metroid-y Castlevanias are sorely lacking, which turns them into games where you walk in a straight line until you hit a boss room, then if your numbers are high enough you defeat the boss and get an item that unlocks doors so you can walk in a straight line to another boss room.

SOTN is still very easy to completely break if you get the right items or use certain equipment combos, but it's at least still got level design. Aria of Sorrow and Circle of the Moon come closest to providing an interesting difficulty curve and challenge, in my view, plus they're generally neat.

If you're interested in the more linear games, Super Castlevania 4, Rondo of Blood, Castlevania Bloodlines and Castlevania The Adventure Reborn all offer an interesting compromise between the stiff movement of the NES games and more fluid progression, while maintaining the iconic elements of the series and adding a bunch of interesting gameplay twists. And of course, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon manages to homage a lot of what was great about the NES titles while incorporating more gameplay variety, checkpoints, and a widescreen format.

I think the people dismissing the older games because of the stiff movement are completely missing the point, though. Simon and Trevor didn't move like that because the devs couldn't figure out how to make them switch directions in mid-air or run faster, their movement and delayed attacks were deliberate design choices to increase the challenge and make you play more carefully. You know, like Dark Souls, the series that is directly inspired by the classic Castlevanias. I'm not going to judge anyone for not being interested in playing an 8-bit game, but I think they hold up just as well as the Mega Mans.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sticklefifer posted:

Go the route of the of the original novelization and make it an isekai.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Hollow Knight is best is genre, barring Super Metroid, so all the Castlevanias are steps down unfortunately. That said, all the Gameboy games from Advance onwards are great and still very playable, although some get dragged down by gimmicks. SotN is great, and worth giving a go to experience where the modern Castlevanias came from. It's starting to show a little bit of it's age now with frequent long backtracks but the core gameplay still rocks.

These are two of the worst in the genre and Super Metroid is the bad half of Metroidvania and its vile curse ruins all it touches.

Ok with that hottake out of the way I think a safe order of quality is Symphony of the Night>Aria of Sorrow>Branch Point where Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin all offer good stuff but have very pronounced strengths and weaknesses>Circle of the Moon>Harmony of Dissonance

I like Harmony of Dissonance the most, its just, well its by far the easiest to get horribly horribly lost in and without modern patching it has both horrendous music and a glaringly ugly ongoing visual effect

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’s live now :toot:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ep 3

Day Armour

And of course Ivana Milicevic would get a kick arse fight scene. Banshee pride!

This show gets me pumped.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh poo poo! Malcolm McDowell!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ep 4:

I started out wondering why the gently caress they were doing this flashback, and now it's scintillating.

"Get back in your loving pram!"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Caught the first 4 episode then skipped ahead to the last two since I couldn't help myself. Still some story pieces I need to fill in, but all the action kicked rear end, the story that I have caught went places I definitely wasn't expecting (and I think the middle bits are set up to be really good), and the ending was just thoroughly rad. I don't think I could've come up with a better way to end things, and I usually second guess the hell out of things I watch and think about what could've been better or cooler.

I think it wraps up this show's characters well, and I'm very much looking forward to more Castlevania stuff down the line. If there wasn't any more in the works though, this would've been a hell of a series finale. Still, I definitely see the potential of jumping ahead basically any amount of time and telling a new story (with a new Belmont and various supporting characters and villains of course). I'm sure there must be more wild Castlevania stuff to be mined for an interesting story.

That Simon story sounds hilariously fun for example, especially given how this season shakes out.

For whatever reason I feel like doing a two-person badass hero setup is the way to go next time around. Basically Castlevania as a buddy cop show, or the kind of show it would've been like if Alucard/Trevor/Sypha were hanging out together throughout basically every episode of the series. I've liked the story choices the show has made as a whole, but looking back on it all my favorite moments are from when they're together (both the story/character stuff and the fights). I basically feel like that trio is to this series as Kano was to the new Mortal Kombat, only they happen to be stealing the show from a show that has way fewer flaws.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
First 5 episodes down.

This is the good poo poo.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

this show was not helped by getting 10 episodes a season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Qmass posted:

this show was not helped by getting 10 episodes a season

Not that it adds much to the conversation, but...I do not think I have ever seen a single opinion that "you know what, this show had just the right amount of episodes". Shows with 3 episodes a season, 6 episodes a season, 10 episodes a season, 13 episodes a season, 20 episodes a season, 26 episodes a season, 52 episodes a season etc. all receive complaints in my experience, whether because they're too drawn out or too rushed. I guess the ones where no-one talks about the pacing/length are the good ones because it's like cleaning, and if no-one comments then you're doing a good job. Almost every show I can ever recall gets some people complaining about the length and pacing though.

I liked the pacing of the seasons personally. I think I just prefer slow pacing that examines the characters or setting at the cost of action though, honestly. So it may just be me or a minority opinion.