Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm waiting for a Contra/Castlevania crossover series myself. Bill Rizer vs Dracula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Alucard gets attacked by a weird jellyfish alien from outerspace, finally giving us the Metroidvania we always wanted

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah one more season to round things out makes sense, then you can naturally jump to a different set of characters from the games. I think they have enough interesting antagonists and characters lined up already, so keep Death in the chamber and make him the Dracula-style big deal of a future series.

I'd be glad to see a happy ending for the trio, but I figure one of them has to die and Alucard's my frontrunner. Trevor is also extremely death flagged if Slypha becomes pregnant and thus the ~Belmont Line~ will continue.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Trevor and Sypha die. Alucard ends up raising their son/daughter.

Alternatively - don't kill any of them because that's lazy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What? How is killing a character inherently lazier than keeping them alive? Surely the laziness is in the execution of either.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think it's harder to write a satisfying ending to something like this without killing off a main character. I don't have the right terminology for this... but killing a/the main character in a story can be a good source of drama and gives the other characters something to do, or can lend weight to whatever the writer wants to explore.

Ultimately I'd like to see a good story, w/e it ends up being. I guess I'm just bored of some :airquote:tropes:airquote: atm

Edit: I think it's because of an ok-ish book I read recently, where some chararcter got unceremonially killed because the writer obviously wanted some other characters to go somewhere else, even though the scenario that led to said death made no sense and was ooc for everyone involved.

itry fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 25, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The scripts to this season were provided by Ellis right? So he might have written it with the idea he’d get another season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

What? How is killing a character inherently lazier than keeping them alive? Surely the laziness is in the execution of either.

It implies that you can no longer think of interesting/fun things to do with that character.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

It implies that you can no longer think of interesting/fun things to do with that character.

There are plenty of dumb things you can do beyond death in such a case, including keeping around a character you don't know how to utilize any more because their arc is done and they just end up taking up room for no purpose. Which is a thing that happens all the time in media.

Not that a character has to die once their arc is done, but giving a character a fitting exit from the story is something a lot of writers miss because they want to keep a character around because they're popular, because they're narratively convenient or even just in case they ever do think of something and that's just as bad.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I know a War of 1999 series would never happen but goddamn do I want it with all of my heart. It's the coolest thing in Castlevania lore.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

There are plenty of dumb things you can do beyond death in such a case, including keeping around a character you don't know how to utilize any more because their arc is done and they just end up taking up room for no purpose. Which is a thing that happens all the time in media.

Not that a character has to die once their arc is done, but giving a character a fitting exit from the story is something a lot of writers miss because they want to keep a character around because they're popular, because they're narratively convenient or even just in case they ever do think of something and that's just as bad.

That's orthogonal to whether it's lazy and requires less effort, though, isn't it? Even a failed effort to keep a character relevant is still an effort, yes?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

That's orthogonal to whether it's lazy and requires less effort, though, isn't it? Even a failed effort to keep a character relevant is still an effort, yes?

I would imagine that keeping a character around and doing nothing beyond spinning their wheels for an extended length of time would require less effort than writing a fitting end for them, via death or anything else.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

In this case I just expect a death because they live super dangerous lives and they're going to be up against strong vampire ladies + more monsters + a big ol' Vampire army + mercenaries + probably Isaac. I'm expecting them to round up some more forces to work with (kind of the "arming the villagers" scene from season 1 on steroids + getting some Speaker help maybe?), but they'll be up against some heavy numbers here if the baddies actually start putting their plan properly into motion. I guess maybe they'll luck out and Isaac will also be working against them because he wants to kill everybody and not have them live as cattle, kind of a thing where he's making trouble in the west while they make trouble in the east.

They'll still come out on top, but to do that without losing anyone seems like a really tall order. To put it another way, if you write a scene where three soldiers charge up a hill to take a machine gun nest and one or two of them die, that doesn't seem like bad writing to me.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Alucard gets attacked by a weird jellyfish alien from outerspace, finally giving us the Metroidvania we always wanted

Great, now I want this thing that will never exist. Thanks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

An actual good Metroid series would be extremely difficult to pull off given how much of it is just Samus alone against vast hordes of aliens.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
you give it the Samurai Jack (or I guess Mandalorian) treatment. Samus goes from planet to planet, silently accepting bounties and helping out old people and cute kids. Meanwhile, she's using the meager profit she makes to scavenge for Chozo artefacts, which are sometimes in the possession of villagers or their oppressors. Every once in a while there's Space Pirate activity, and you use that to explore her past.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Castlevania would work pretty well doing the Jojo thing with timeskips to the next generation, with or without killing off most of the existing cast in the process.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

you give it the Samurai Jack (or I guess Mandalorian) treatment. Samus goes from planet to planet, silently accepting bounties and helping out old people and cute kids. Meanwhile, she's using the meager profit she makes to scavenge for Chozo artefacts, which are sometimes in the possession of villagers or their oppressors. Every once in a while there's Space Pirate activity, and you use that to explore her past.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. Now I want this and I know it'll never happen.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Panzeh posted:

I'm waiting for a Contra/Castlevania crossover series myself. Bill Rizer vs Dracula.

They already crossed over in the games, so they may as well. https://youtu.be/DNzcqhSzrnQ

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If we're talking about Samus, here's some panels from a very short lived manga series. Reads right to left.

Beat that, the Mandalorian.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not a huge Metroid fan or anything, but the few pictures or manga panels I've seen and/or really enjoyed are the ones that play up her Chozo heritage by showing her being bird like in some way. I can only think of silly fanart off the top of my head, like her kneeling in a tree chirping and poo poo, but I'm sure I've seen more mundane examples from manga too. Which is definitely not something that you can envisage Djin doing, and would put her ahead of him in some way. Also just really fun.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Just got done with the show. Season 3 needed alot more castling and alot more vaniaing. I don't see how the satan church wasn't stormed on like episode 4, I guess they just had to be super duper duper duuuuuuuuper sure they were bad guys. Also why didn't they do something about the symbols being painted around the town and on people's houses? Alucard once altered runes just by scratching them. Isaac vs Legion was the best action scene, once he headed in the tower and he reached the point of no return it was so tense because the only way out was going forward.

I appreciate that this is the most talky anime I've seen in a while. All these convos about war and battle strategies and supply lines and all that jazz sounds like them trying to get 1 ahead of cinemasins talking about 'hey how did they do this without this being a problem?'. I hope in season 4 the vampires become a threat to something bigger than a village of like 75 people, its kinda deflating to know that France could send like 5% of their army and wipe them out.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In all fairness to France, that's true for all the world's problems apart from Russia. Unless something is a problem for France, gently caress you got mine.

Unless you're Dracula, a key part of vampire politics is keeping under the radar of anything that's a bigger threat than yourself. That's why the coven in part three is so enthusiastic about the plan: a nice little stable ranch that is sealed off from the big nations is ideal for an immortal that has no prospect of Europa Universalising the entire world map.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Blaise330 posted:

Isaac vs Legion was the best action scene, once he headed in the tower and he reached the point of no return it was so tense because the only way out was going forward.

Isaac vs. Legion was like one of those old Daft Punk animated music vids.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. Castlevania is a deeply weird program but I’m quite sure it’ll be remembered for its unbelievable highs more than its mediocre lows

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

This is exactly the same pitch I used way back in film school. We were picking one franchise, then pitching it as a TV show and a movie as a way of talking about the differences and which works best for what, and how you need to adapt things differently into different mediums, etc.

Story-of-the-week with overarching season and series plots would lend itself really well to the adventures of one Samus Aran.

If it were movie, my pitch was to have it take place in two timeframes: the present would be her mission to Zebes to destroy Mother Brain and Ridley, would start in media res, and as she encounters things on Zebes, we'd flash back to the time just after her parents were killed, when she was being trained by the Chozo there.

She'd be entirely alone in the present, as she was in the game, but the beauty of this approach is we'd still get some animatronic chozo muppets and time to flesh out Samus and the world.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Are they finally going to put Grant Denasty in this season?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7iWXfZzEMc

:hellyeah:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cool, cool, cool, cool.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Trevor is going to needlessly sacrifice his life at the end of the season just so he gets out of having to stop people ressing Dracula for the next thirty years

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The fight animation seems like it got a big level up this for this last season, and I'm optimistic that we'll get more action than in past seasons. I've liked the story beats too, but I'd love a season packed with more things like the Isaac vs. Legion fight, the heroes entering Dracula's castle fight, and the fight vs. Dracula.

They've certainly got a built in hook for future seasons if they just time-jump ahead to some new characters who have to deal with the fallout of someone finally bringing Dracula back, and I think by then he's been out of the mix for long enough that he wouldn't feel overused. Plus you could either have him be fully ruthless and amped up on drinking loads of blood and not being mopey and be a bigger threat that way, or you could have him trying to be a full-blown good guy and the evil vampires or whoever that brought him back now have to deal with having nice guy Vampire Jesus around, but there'd be opportunities for drama/tension because Dracula did try a fair bit of genocide and that'd be hard for our new heroes to just ignore.

A second Dracula fight, or just dealing with the repercussions of his resurrection in some way, would also be an interesting story to explore in this season, of course, and probably better to do that now instead of later since exploring more of the Alucard and Dracula relationship would be fun.

I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing based on the trailer, and I hope they keep things trucking right along and moving through different time periods/game characters and give me like 10+ seasons of this show and 3 or 4 different Belmonts.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jokes on Trevor. It was Simon who resurrected Dracula. But only to kill him again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope Lenore and her pet make it out okay :ohdear:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

is that motherfucking Artorius of the Abyss???

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

He even does the lopsided overhead slam.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That looks loving sick as hell

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

It's Guts Berserk

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

same difference

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

This looks sick. :suspense: Shading looks a little better as well. Seems like they may be going all out on the action scenes to finish this up. Everyone is so terribly badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

DoctorWhat posted:

same difference

:hmmyes: :agreed: