Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Six episodes in, and honestly? Just scrap the whole show now and retool it as Space Ghost Coast to Coast where Isaac interviews a different weirdo every night.

I mean, the whole thing is ridiculously good, but any time Isaac is on screen it's like they step up another level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Does the spider-goat-archer guy from the last episode have a name? I recognize some of the monsters from the game, but not him and he has pretty great design.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

edit: beaten

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think nows the time for a new direction for the show. Now hear me out on this this one...

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

This is a surprise, I thought this whole thing had been poo poo canned harder than Warren Ellises career.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Season 3 was such an upswing in writing quality that I personally suspected a lot was the work of a secondary writer and not Ellis.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

No, he's a legitimately great writer which is why it's a shame that he's such a monster.

I know, Trans Met, Global Frequency and especially Planetary are some of my favourite comics of all time, I guess he just brought his A game for S3 and hopefully 4.

On the other hand Ocean was a stinker.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

They’ve already said S4 is the last season of this show.

They said it's the last season written by Ellis, and the last season with these characters. They've said they're willing to have a new season or spin-off in the same world. Depends on if S4 pulls in the viewers I would guess.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 17, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In all fairness to France, that's true for all the world's problems apart from Russia. Unless something is a problem for France, gently caress you got mine.

Unless you're Dracula, a key part of vampire politics is keeping under the radar of anything that's a bigger threat than yourself. That's why the coven in part three is so enthusiastic about the plan: a nice little stable ranch that is sealed off from the big nations is ideal for an immortal that has no prospect of Europa Universalising the entire world map.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

is that motherfucking Artorius of the Abyss???

He even does the lopsided overhead slam.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hollow Knight is best is genre, barring Super Metroid, so all the Castlevanias are steps down unfortunately. That said, all the Gameboy games from Advance onwards are great and still very playable, although some get dragged down by gimmicks. SotN is great, and worth giving a go to experience where the modern Castlevanias came from. It's starting to show a little bit of it's age now with frequent long backtracks but the core gameplay still rocks.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Can confirm episode one is solid. Dialogue hasn't been the S-tier work of season 3 yet (pirate of the roads, Jesus of murder, toilet paper), but we've had a lot of really nice fights.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Season 1 was barely audible mumbling and some ok violence. I would never have expected to get here from there.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

itry posted:

Searched the thread for Artorias but didn't see anything. That armored fight scene was straight out of Dark Souls.

It's the berserker armour from Berserk, one of the most influential mangas in history. Artorias is explicitly riffing the same character.

Although to come to think of it, they are bringing along the fabric elements from Artorias, so maybe it's a second generation reference? Can't imagine Ellis isn't aware of Berserk though.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

itry posted:

It's probably both, but I meant the moveset. Unless that's Berserk too.

There are key frames that are ripped straight from the comic, but the wild overhead smash is from the game.

Yeah, I've talked myself into it being both.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

anatomi posted:

I don't care if it was pretentious and surface-level, I would've loved more discussions between Isaac and the inquisitive fly guy.
My friend, may I interest you in a project I'm trying to get off the ground?

Bug Squash posted:

I think nows the time for a new direction for the show. Now hear me out on this this one...

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I like that they obviously noticed at a late stage that all the Isaac, Hector and Camilla stuff was completely seperate from the rest of the plot and threw in a couple of lines that Hector gave Varney some info. Should have been a bit braver and made the connection purely thematic. Two monsters killed, two castles claimed, two broken men rebuilding themselves and the world.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Watch the last episode or two for some sicknasty fights with Legion and some kind of goat spider archer if you're not interested in Isaac chatting to randos about philosophy. Watch the whole thing if you think that sounds like a good time.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Was there any particular reason Varney went literally mask-off in front of St Germaine? Guy was doing exactly what you wanted already and he nearly reconsidered when faced with... That.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole deal with Varney being a guise for Death is kinda brilliant. He's posing as a jumped up middle management vampire with delusions of grandeur so no one wants to spend more time around him or pay more attention to him than absolutely necessary- the perfect cover.

I don't think it's actually a guise. Death is incapable of doing much of anything on his own, but what he does do is Stan Dracula harder than any being on the planet. I think he probably did head out to that lovely city to make it a present for Dracula. He is genuinely a bit of a weinie.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Presumably his aforementioned inability to accomplish anything in the world on his own. I don't think even St. Germain would have recognized him if Varney really was just a nobody that had never done anything of note.

He's over two thousand years old, stinks to high heaven, and amongst stiff competition is the most irritating man in England. Even if did nothing of note he's going to be the "oh, THAT guy" in history.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 18, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Goblin Slayer is absolute dog poo poo. It has a core good idea of watching a professional do their job really really well, but it's buried under a mountain of the most teenage edgelord trash I've ever seen.

Demon Slayer has a lot of fans, but to be honest it's only ok. It's coming in at a long dry patch for like themed animé so people have forgotten the older, better shows.

Cowboy Bebop is the real deal though. Holy poo poo. It is uncontested as the best anime ever made. Watch it now!

Berserk is incomplete (and always will be as of this morning :( ), but it's composed of arcs which have been adapted seperately. Check out the movies of the Golden Age arc, it's grimdark done so so right. The manga is hands down the best art in manga, and the writing is pretty excellent as well.

Edit: listen well to the person recommending Legend of Galactic Heroes. It's like nothing else, and a completely non-anime anime. This show is so committed to being a historical recounting that the primary antagonist dies of natural causes with no warning between two episodes, and the show loving runs with it. Because that's the kind of poo poo that happens in reality.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 20, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I enjoyed Outlaw Star as much as the next person, but this is like comparing Avengers to Citizen Kane. Yes, maybe you enjoyed Avengers more, and it's certainly a great movie, but you need to acknowledge the utterly superior artistry of the other.

Take just the intros for instance. Outlaw Star's is probably one of the best anime intros of all time, it's great. But Tank! is loving Tank! It's not just a great opening, it's genuinely a great song, and that's before you start talking about the opening animation. It's a masterpiece, and acknowledged as one by critics and public alike. That level of work is found at every level of Bebop's production, it's next level work.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Well, ok. gently caress the entire concept and history of discussing and criticing art, I guess.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

tsob posted:

Well yes, gently caress the concept of going "this was better shot therefor it's superior to that thing you only enjoyed because it's not as pretty" or whatever. You can critique something without insisting that a film is objectively better because of x quality you like more. Cowboy Bebop certainly has qualities I think are superior to those of Outlaw Star, but I don't think that makes Cowboy Bebop better as an overall show.

No-one is trying to make art objective, whatever that would mean, but it's reasonable for two people to be able to discuss the reasons why they enjoyed a piece of art. Once they start doing that, they might even move onto even more interesting questions, like can something be great art and be completely unenjoyable? Art is interesting and has lots of angles to explore it from. Cowboy Bebop has nigh universal praise as a masterpiece, but Outlaw Star does not. Isn't it worth talking about why?

I don't think anyone in the thread about anime vampires is here to hear about Art Appreciation 101, so I'll just sound the giant loving bullhorn labelled "Watch Cowboy Bebop Everyone" again and drop the topic.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 20, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

kneelbeforezog posted:

Sorry I had paused the show just before the "Small bones" and "this thing has been used a lot" lines. I'm having a hard time deciding who the good guys and who the bad guys are here. Where are the angels in the castlevania lore to fight the demons?

The priest was opposed to the Nightcreature's cult, but was also a hands off serial killer. He needing killing, but was vital in preventing Dracula's resurrection.

There don't seem to be angels or demons present in the lore. Nightcreatures are souls returned from hell to do a forgemasters bidding. There's definitely a hell, maybe a heaven, and God and Satan are mentioned but don't seem to have any impact in the story.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nightcreatures, not demons :pseudo:

They are bodies inhabited by souls consigned to hell. Isaac seems like he's going to empty hell one soul at a time for them to earn redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Kind of things I need:
"You're the Jesus of murder"
Pirate of the roads
Extended philosophical dialogues with random weirdos
occasionally a fight with a Castlevania monster

Basically I just want the last two seasons again. Except somehow godbrand has returned.