Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Entropic posted:

Warren Ellis's email newsletter has interesting tidbits sometimes about the Castlevania production process:

Packing all of that into 4 episodes would have been insane. :psyduck:

I just realized Peter Stormare also plays Czernobog on American Gods.

Part of me wishes Peter didn't get all these roles where he has to play a crazy Euro fellow since whenever he gets any other roles he comes off like a serial killer about to break. Typecasting is also kind of boring.

https://youtu.be/lW7p_6eMcTQ is a commercial he did for a building materials warehouse that, with some creepy music, would probably illustrate that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

In regards to a Zelda series, I would rather have a Link that spoke. But then suddenly chokes and can only express himself in pained shouts when he is in mortal danger, such as when accidentally striking a chicken.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I mean on a serious note, I hope a series on Zelda breaks some conventions like this series did. Have it be a cycle of reincarnation where things just turn out different each time. Or have Link NOT be into Zelda. Heck, if there's one thing we CAN take from the earlier cartoon, let Zelda kick some rear end once in a while.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

They aren't making a Zelda series!

Well they should!

And people should keep trying to sell Link cheap green hats.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Azhais posted:

Every episode features someone giving Link something that is purportedly too dangerous to go on without

An escalating running gag where he is given toothpaste, a bicycle helmet and eventually condoms.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

esperterra posted:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting in tyool 2018 to cry like a bitch watching a loving Castlevania animu.

Dracula was basically the protagonist of the second series, with an arc and lots of reasons to care for him. Part of me wanted to see an ending where Alucard just hugs him instead of violently staking him. Not that that would have gone down well with his new friends.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dias posted:

My number one wish for Castlevania S3 is better sound design/mixing, I was rewatching the series and it sounds so...weak sometimes.

It has the same problem I have with Zelda in Breath of the Wild. People talk, but they sound like they're on the verge of whispering or breaking into tears. Everyone's mumbling or murmuring in Castlevania, and even when they're shouting they're way too composed or muted.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sockser posted:

Except for Godbrand :allears:

Well, yes. But even he had a lot of scenes where he was talking and I almost couldn't make out what he was saying, and not because of his accent.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I skimmed through the last one just now. So I can attest to that!

Welp, presuming that ending is going to lead to a new teamup of the three heroes so as to avoid a massive turn to villainy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

zoux posted:

How was the season as a whole

A lot like the former one. Very, VERY slow in its build-up, with an action-filled climax at the end. Goes deep into motivations, inner thoughts and the pain and worries of each character.

For specifics, Trevor is wondering what the hell he's doing with his life now that he's travelling and sleeping with Sypha, Alucard tries to open up to people, including a set of Japanese visitors who want to learn how to kill vampires from him, Dracula's two former human servants have some parallel journeys (one out of slavery and one back into it). Carmilla is scheming-mc-schemeface again but its mostly setup for Season 4

There's some newly introduced side characters, some more interesting than others. The action scenes are alright, though its hard to beat the ones from the castle at the end of Season 2. My favourite of them would probably be the one where Isaac climbs a tower to fight a mindcontrolling wizard, with entire towns populations climbing into the windows of said tower to chase after him before he reaches their master. A big final fight between Trevor, Sypha and a giant demon is sort of held back by the animation style suddenly shifting for bits of it, and Alucard's final, errr, action scene, is more of a bisexual threesome gone wrong.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 5, 2020

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh, and one of the final scenes of the season was sort of ruined for me because I kept thinking of the image below. You'll know it when you get to it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

zoux posted:

The source of Alucards sexual powers, revealed

It can't be that good, his partners stopped having sex with him almost at the same time he started using it!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Caidin posted:

Finished the season, pretty good mostly!

That said I don't really understand why they needed to throw that bit about the judge in right at the end because holy gently caress. Also Hector is a loving toolbox.

They did that to point out that most of humanity loving sucks, mostly due to past trauma or just plain old other humans already sucking.

I did like that in regards to Dracula he was with his love, even if she was in hell, and had no real wish to come back from what we saw. He continues to be a mostly good dude hosed up by idiot humans.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Slashrat posted:

S03E09: Isaac's race to and ascent up tower to kill the magician while a giant floating ball of human bodies attack him was epic. I kinda wish they hadn't decided to intercut it with vampire sex. Also, cute that even separated from their master, Isaac's night creatures acted out on his loyalty to Dracula by trying to bring him back

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, that race was awesome and interesting. But again, it feels like a lot of these scenes that are culminations of the season had to be packed into one or two episodes to make them work thematically, and it makes the endings suffer from the multiplication effect. There's just too many cuts to other scenes, unlike say the Striga/Transformation scene from The Witcher series with just Geralt and Yennefer's point of view, whereas here its like 4 or more different goings-on at once.

Its kinda a problem the entire series has, with its very slow build-up to explosive action in the last two episodes. It is partially why I skipped through so many episodes rather than watching them wholesale, because I knew I wasn't going to miss much other than light hints at where the story was going.

Still like the series though, and absolutely will stick around for a 4th season.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Alien Sex Manual posted:

All I could see when I got there thanks to this post lol

Overall great season except Dracula and Lisa get the gently caress home already so poor Alucard can have a family again. Also that fight between Isaac and the sorcerer was :sicknasty:

I aim to please.

Castlevania Season 3: Alucard's Sexual Powers

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Alien Sex Manual posted:

I could have also lived without Judge Actually Also Being Evil This Whole Time.

But seriously Isaac is the loving man, I had no idea I would like him so much when he was first introduced. His motives are noble if hosed up and those are the best type of “villain” motives.

Still feeling bad for Alucard though. Dude needs to move out of his parents’ house and get a job, maybe then he can meet some positive people and get back on his feet.

Yeah, especially when his parents house basically says "Evil Guy lives here, murder him please for loot". That is a dangerous place to be in an RPG-like world.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That's a lot of vampires in general, in Castlevania and other fiction. Them enthralling humans like chattel is par for the course, and given the motif of the vampire story being predation of every kind, it was expected.

As for Alucard putting clothes on his attackers, that's probably down to censors. Even they might balk at displaying entirely nude impalement victims.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Did the artists just throw their hands up in the air and say "I can't draw anime boobs. Go get the people that animated Bible Black I'm sure they'll do this series justice"

I mean given the switches in animation styles I can believe they switched actual art teams between scenes. Maybe that's why there were so many harsh cuts between story beats, the editors just cut and pasted everything together since everyone was doing their own thing.

Still, I want season 4 yesterday. They better not cancel this.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

Calling it now, Alucard's gonna turn into his dad from a constant stream of lovely, treacherous humans trying to stake him and ends up at odds with the Belmonts for it.

Also, were there any more musical callbacks this season? Episode 10 felt like the perfect place to pull another "Bloody Tears" moment, but I'm not sure if the track that plays during the fight is referencing anything.

I am gonna say he gets close to that but is ultimately able to pull himself from the abyss, so to speak. I doubt they would turn one of the franchises main heroes villainous, at least not permanently.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Ah I hadn't really tied that in to Hector's past with animals and humanity, though I should have since the parallels are pretty clear. Lenore's a lot more charming, though I guess Hector did have some smooth moments here and there in season 2, though I may be remembering more charisma than there actually was.

It may be a bit on the nose sometimes, but every single story (aside from poor Godbrand's, maybe), is trying to present and test the protagonists(?) worldviews, philosophies and personalities against someone or something similar to theirs. Alucard's loneliness leading into a rejection of outsiders when he tries to open up and let people in (but fails), Hector's aforementioned "Leopards/Vampires eating faces"-party membership leading to his re-enslavement, Isaac's direct control of a monster army versus the mindcontrolling wizard army (and his reasoning behind it) and so on.

The only person whom its kinda hard to determine if he's being tested or not is Germaine, if only because he keeps his motivations close to his chest and its kinda hard to get a bead on a time-travelling sage who is motivated by a need to find a dimension-hopping mystery-person, based on an equally mysterious character from the games

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trevor needs to realize murdering monsters can include human monsters, and that means he will have a job forever. Whipping the aristocracy/theocracy in the face with a morningstar works just as well against humans as vampires.

In other words, he needs to properly accept his alignment as Chaotic Good already now that his girlfriend is more onboard with the beating on humans bit of his life.

(That or at least work to aid her more humane work in studying Dracula's artifacts by whipping people who come knocking with pitchforks).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I like this anime about vampires it is good. Unlike many other vampire animes, which are bad.

This post is shorter and therefore superior.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

NightWalker is fun. Bonus points for its theme song by Buck-Tick.

Luckily I hedged my bets by saying many, not all. There's room for more than one good vampire anime!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Six episodes in, and honestly? Just scrap the whole show now and retool it as Space Ghost Coast to Coast where Isaac interviews a different weirdo every night.

I mean, the whole thing is ridiculously good, but any time Isaac is on screen it's like they step up another level.

It is unfortunate that the show and passing of time means Isaac needs to die eventually, but then he might just find some random way of becoming immortal.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That would be a great hook for reviving Dracula. He and Lisa are holding out in hell together when suddenly BAM, she gets ressurrected as a monster and then he sets a plot up to rejoin her and set her free since she's now a slave.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I feel like one of the plots of this season is: what if yasha, beau, jester, and nott from critical roll formed a vampire conclave?

Whom amongst them is Jester? I don't see any of them as earnest, friendly or axe-crazy enough.

Nor Nott, but that's because she is more ineffectual than any of the conclave.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Don't forget, Netflix shows need clicking. So remember to poke all your quarantined friends and cheer them up with some vampire shenanigans so we get a Season 4.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm just now watching Episode 4 and drat if I'm not cracking up at literally every interaction between Belmont and Sypha.

Characterization really is one of the strongest parts of this series. Both good initial portrayals and evolving viewpoints as the show goes on, depending on their situation. But they never really lose that initial part of what they are, which is a fate of many different characters in many different series once writers start being shifted around or lose interest.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

An actual good Metroid series would be extremely difficult to pull off given how much of it is just Samus alone against vast hordes of aliens.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

For some reason I was really hoping that at the end, Alucard was going to name his new town Castlevania. Hard cut to credits.

I thought the exact same thing. Except everyone would just immediately stop and ask "What the gently caress is that?"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bertilak posted:

Hmm, I just finished watching, and I would say that this was an excellent season. However, I had a few thoughts on things that kind of struck me as, well, kind of odd.

Is it weird that the show basically tells 2 plots that pretty much have nothing to do with each other? I mean, the deal with Dracula and his minions storyline ends up really disconnected from the deal with Carmilla storyline. The two subsets of the cast never interact nor even seem aware of each other, especially after the 2nd season. I don't necessarily think that is bad, but it does bother me a little.

Also, I am eager to see more spinoffs and sequel series and such, but considering the way the show ended, it kind of feels like you would have to move away from the games a lot.

I'd honestly just do a reboot. Make it something completely different, no matter how much you love the original characters, they got their proper endings.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The best and most wholesome thing in the ending was Alucard and the orphans. Given he is functionally immortal( I think?) I would presume he now gets to spend eternity raising kids to make up for his own messy family.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So if they can make a great Castlevania series, what can they make next? Proper Metroid? A Zelda story that isn't repetitive?

An actual good Final Fantasy show?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

As cool as that sequence was, that version of bloody tears was pretty tame

I thought it was fine. But it really needed some of the other kicking tunes later on.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Castlevania operates on a mix of "God is mostly a hands-off kind of guy" and "God is just kind of an rear end in a top hat". People get sent to hell despite not really deserving it and it takes guys like Isaac bringing them back to (sort of) fix that. Including people like Lisa whose only real crime was"Likes science and banged a vampire".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Samus works very well as a Geralt kind of character: Stoic that fights really scary things and only interacts with other humanoids if they have to because they're this unapproachable badass mutant (or part Chozo in this case).

I presume you would have to introduce Adam and other humans to give you something to relate to.