Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Waffleman_ posted:

Holy poo poo Episode 7 Bloody Tears gently caress yes

I really dug that, it wasn't unexpected but it was very welcome when it came. I was watching the show thinking "hey season 1 had that cool cyclops fight, the demon fight, Belmont owning priests, and that so crazily rad Trevor vs. Alucard fight that I find myself watching like once a month, where's the action?" And then the action came and boy was it worth the wait.

This show's already been renewed for a third season and I'm totally on board to see where they go from here, especially when the story focus wasn't at all in the ratio I was expecting going in to season 2.

The quality of Castlevania gives me hopes that more people will realize that video game to animation is a pretty smooth transition that can be done way cheaper than a movie, basically working on a sliding scale of budget and still having a solid chance of turning out well. Off the top of my head I can imagine great animated shows based off Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, some of which I know has seen some proper animated material already but nothing like a series that I know of. Just lean into animated adaptations of all the games that have really cool looking fights in them already and market it to adults instead of just doing the occasional Sonic or Megaman animated show that appeared during my childhood.

Another small touch that I really liked, noticed it on the first viewing but it only impresses me more on the third or fourth: 2x07Sypha tears her sleeve when she's about to tend to her arm scratches and my immediate thought was "Oh time for the standard use your clothing to wrap the wound deal" but instead she just claps a hand on it and burns it to cauterize it. I think that quick little moment had to be intentional and it really moved her badass ranking up with me a lot, probably the best quick character moment of the season for me in a show that's full of quick character moments and witty banter on the heroes' side.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Yeah for an animated MA show there's no terrible fanservice. I anticipate some think pieces on why the show is SJW propaganda because of it.
Also I got a laugh out of Syphas sudden turn against the speakers aversion to books. "My people are stupid."

I think there's certainly an opportunity to do a tasteful sex scene in the next season, if they want to do that. A timeskip makes a lot of sense to me now that I think about it, and a with Sypha possibly being the mother to the next generation of Belmonts, preventing the line from dying out with Trevor there's a story reason to emphasize a sexual encounter, alongside wanting to show an important moment between two characters.

I also had just assumed that the next season would have the trio kicking butt together, but I think you could certainly follow either Alucard or Sylpha and Trevor and then have the person or persons you haven't seen for a chunk of the season show up to make the big save down the line, that's always fun. I'm also worried now because I get the feeling that one of the trio is going to get killed off next season and I don't want to lose any of them.

Strobe posted:

Episode 7 was a proper series climax done loving right and I must have watched it three or four times now because it's just so damned cool.

Same here, I just keep rewatching the fights and loving them.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's probably because Trevor didn't get kicked in the nuts even once. It ruins an otherwise perfect season.

Please, this season wasn't a bar fight. Have some class.

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I find interesting about Carmilla is that despite being a ruthless, sadistic vampire who wants to enslave humanity, she's basically an agent of karma. Seriously, every single person she hurts has it coming in some way.

I mean, when literally every character you meet is an evil vampire or a human who has sworn to help wipe out or cull humanity it's hard to hurt someone who doesn't deserve hurting.

I also just realized that the trio never encountered The two forgemaster humans or Carmilla at all. Kind of interesting that there are threats still lurking around that the don't expect at all, even if their objectives might not be the widespread killing that Dracula wanted. Maybe we'll see more of the classic vampire story with them operating in the shadows and scheming among humans next season. The antagonists being unknown to the heroes also means that you can do either a quick sneak attack or them slowly advancing their plans under the radar and both give the bad guys a good way and reason to be presented as a serious threat, which is a good thing after how the season ended.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

With Symphony of the Night being one of the better known Castlevanias and prominently featuring Alucard, I'm thinking we're going to get to what's in there sooner rather than later. Heck with my very loose Castlevania fandom I thought we were pretty much there already.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Meinberg posted:

My favorite part was the climax of episode 6 when Sypha moves the castle and Carmilla doesn't know what the gently caress is going on and all of the carefully laid plans and intrigue on all sides collapses on our three doofus protagonists bumbling their way in. I almost wish that the season hadn't followed them up to that point, and focused entirely on the vampire court intrigue, then bust out everything falling apart, with an episode to catch up with Sypha and the boys.

That would have been a pretty bold and interesting choice. I think there's enough on the hero side to do that as two episodes, and I'd of gotten super frustrated waiting for them to show up, but having that castle moment come absolutely out of nowhere has quite a bit of novelty to it.

Seems like that exact approach would work well with one of the antagonists still left out there at the end of the season, particularly our favorite desert buddy Isaac .

I'm glad a S3 renewal is already in place, it seems like it got enough good buzz that they aren't waiting on viewing numbers to come in before making a decision, which is cool. There's kind of a giant hole in Netflix animation that's in that TV-MA area , even including anime, and if you narrow it to Netflix original animations they are very much few and far between. Glad to see that niche isn't being ignored, and it's hard to see it being a bad move to keep releasing Castlevania and Sabrina near Halloween as their timely big guns for the Halloween season.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 29, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Metroid seems like a good fit for this type of animation. MGS would be bonkers, I can kind of see the template for it with this season being so much politicking/vampire chats followed by brief intense action, that seems like a MGS formula to me. No way Konami goes in for something like that instead of more pachinko machines though.

As good and successful as this show has been, I wish it was such an undeniable hit that they revived that classic DCAU from my childhood but did it with video game adaptations bleeding together into the same universe while for ONCE not using the framing device of the characters or an outside force knowing that they're all games, just treating them like general story settings. Most video games can believably insert a dimension hopping character or plot device to tie things together. It's certainly a stretch, but I'd be on board for a big fancy team-up fight that's like a mini Smash Bros, bringing together lots of different video game characters who have already gotten fun adaptations done in a similar visual style to one another.

If it was actually managed and done well it'd be a heck of a way to break the curse of bad video game adaptations too. It'll never happen, and even if it did building out a universe like the DCAU or MCU takes some lightning in a bottle situations in my opinion, on top of not really working outside of adapting comic universes, but it'd be wild to see what the results of even attempting it would be.

Technically crazier things have happened and Netflix is soon to be cut off from that sweet Disney content, so they may be in the market for something in that shared universe arena, but I'm certainly not holding my breath and even as I type this it sounds like one of the more batshit insane ideas I've posted, and that's saying something.

moths posted:

The castle typically crumbles when he's defeated, which makes me suspect that the ghost we saw wasn't entirely Alucard's memory / imagination.

It'd seem odd to me to have Dracula, already the godfather of coming back from the dead and especially doing that in Castlevania, only die once and get defeated for reals and forever. Even if he's dead now there's at least one devoted follower out there with magical abilities who might make it his mission to bring him back.

My corny hope is that they fight and beat Death, and Death's last words are 'I was the only thing holding him back" and then bam pissed off Dracula comes in as the final villain in the last season.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 7, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like fans would revolt if Kojima wasn't involved in an MGS show, but honestly, he needs someone to reign in his material anyway. Kojima unhindered borders on random monkeycheese.

Contra would be fun too, especially if it's steeped in 80s action bro dynamics, since the cover of the first game was literally patterned after Schwarzenegger in Commando and Stallone as Rambo.

I'd be very wary about a Silent Hill series unless it's done really right and isn't just fanservice, but SH done properly could be amazing.

Yeah that was my big thinking as to why animated MGS ain't happening, the way things with down with Kojima means the backlash they get when he isn't involved would be huge.

Even just looking at Konami they have stuff that could be really fun as animated adaptations, as you pointed out. Going to more modern stuff, Uncharted has been in development hell forever, but I could see that kind of action-adventure story working in animation. If you adapt more modern games then you have the advantage of being able to get the same voice cast from the games and at least some of the creatives involved on board, that's a nice benefit to offset the nostalgia gains that adapting older games give you.

It's also worth considering making some OVAs (basically movie-length animation and typically with a better visual quality than a series, for those unfamiliar) based on game material, Uncharted probably fits that mold even better than a series and I think Contra and Silent Hill might be more impactful as a one-off or one every few years product. There have been animated series and movies based on games before so this isn't some grand new idea. I guess I'm just hoping that it's done more often. Even the pure fanservice can be enjoyable when you're a fan of the IP; I really liked Advent Children for instance.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

NowonSA posted:

As good and successful as this show has been, I wish it was such an undeniable hit that they revived that classic DCAU from my childhood but did it with video game adaptations bleeding together into the same universe while for ONCE not using the framing device of the characters or an outside force knowing that they're all games, just treating them like general story settings. Most video games can believably insert a dimension hopping character or plot device to tie things together. It's certainly a stretch, but I'd be on board for a big fancy team-up fight that's like a mini Smash Bros, bringing together lots of different video game characters who have already gotten fun adaptations done in a similar visual style to one another.

If it was actually managed and done well it'd be a heck of a way to break the curse of bad video game adaptations too. It'll never happen, and even if it did building out a universe like the DCAU or MCU takes some lightning in a bottle situations in my opinion, on top of not really working outside of adapting comic universes, but it'd be wild to see what the results of even attempting it would be.

Technically crazier things have happened and Netflix is soon to be cut off from that sweet Disney content, so they may be in the market for something in that shared universe arena, but I'm certainly not holding my breath and even as I type this it sounds like one of the more batshit insane ideas I've posted, and that's saying something.

Hey turns out this wasn't such a batshit insane idea after all! Multiverse has me thinking that it'll be more cute references than overtly part of a shared story, but that's probably the smarter approach anyway. You can still bring in a wild multi-universe threat for a fun team-up.

I guess shared universes have been such a thing lately that I didn't even think of it just being a case of having some of the same people involved and possibly going for a similar visual style. I was right on Castlevania's undeniable hit status leading to more video game adaptations from the same creator though, as seen in this quote from the IGN article:

Shankar attributes the Devil May Cry series announcement to the success Castlevania, which he says, "really over-performed. It did crazy well. We immediately got greenlit for Season 3.” Thanking the fans who made this all possible, Shankar said, “I wouldn’t have a job if it wasn’t for the fans."

In any case I couldn't resist a bit of a victory lap on getting some of these details right, but mostly I'm just really excited that my wish is at least beginning to come true, and if they keep doing a good job I don't see why they wouldn't keep picking up fun video game IP to play around in and just keep popping them onto Netflix.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

evilmiera posted:

I am gonna say he gets close to that but is ultimately able to pull himself from the abyss, so to speak. I doubt they would turn one of the franchises main heroes villainous, at least not permanently.

Yeah I'm in this boat, have him about to do some Dracula stuff, Sypha and Trevor stop him, he becomes a proper good guy again and realizes he needs to travel with them so that he doesn't go crazy and if he does go too far again they'll put him down if they really have to.

This season was proper bummers all around, but that's pretty much what you want in a Castlevania show so I wasn't disappointed. and that's a sensible tone to go for after they have they hit the heroic high of killing Dracula and saving the world. I really like where Hector ended up and how the vampire who charmed him sees their relationship, that whole meeting room scene at the end of the season was just pitch perfect all around. I think she's legitimately the smartest and most powerful out of all of them and is really working the angles well, but I'm calling it now she'll regret not treating Hector with real affection and making him her pet instead. Hector's deserved his circumstances, dude's no saint and is the king of poor life choices, but I'll still be quite thrilled when he uses some forgemaster magic bullshit to get out of his current circumstances and has a boatload of fiends kill the vampire sisters. With that said, the smart move for him on paper would be to swallow his pride and just play ball.

I didn't mind the sex scenes, and the character's reasons for what went down in each made sense to me. They also create ample material to examine if you want to really break them down. One tidbit to toss into the mix, for instance, is that I think it's very plausible that given his accelerated aging and what we know of his background that was Alucard's first sexual experience, so yeah that'll be some solid lifelong trauma for him there if that's the case, moreso than it already is[/spoiler[. I don't mind the show tossing in those deeper elements to go along with my fun monster fighting action.

I hope we get a longer timeskip between seasons for season 4, I'd be very intrigued by where all the characters in the show are at physically and mentally about five years from the end of season 3.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 8, 2020

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The thing about Lenore is that she's pretty much just Hector as a vampire. Neither of them see people as people, only as interesting animals who should be granted comfort but not freedom. I don't think she's intellectually capable of seeing him as anything other than another cute, injured beastie to adopt.

Ah I hadn't really tied that in to Hector's past with animals and humanity, though I should have since the parallels are pretty clear. Lenore's a lot more charming, though I guess Hector did have some smooth moments here and there in season 2, though I may be remembering more charisma than there actually was.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Panfilo posted:

When dueling with the Japanese siblings, Alucard tells them you don't want to let a vampire get close to you when fighting them.

This is a nice throwback to his initial fight with Trevor, who uses his whip to keep Alucard back, including letting his whip go rather than hold on to it but get pulled close.

Hector grabs Lenore by the neck (no doubt out of desperation and to try to show he's not a total pushover) and she just turns into bats to break out of it. It's pretty clear a regular human is no match up close.

I also found it interesting because up to that point we only see the Japanese vampire turn to mist, and assumed in this universe non Dracula vampires only had one gimmick vampire power. But seeing Lenore its clear they have all the traditional vampire powers at their disposal (turning to bats, mist, or other animals, phasing around, flying, etc.)

I feel like vampire powers are following the traditional path of "older vampires/drinking more blood = more crazy vampire powers." We don't see everyone busting out mist/bats feats, and the random vampire mooks are clearly way less powerful than the named characters in charge. Seeing Lenore bust out those feats is a big reason why she's my pick for actually being the physically/vamp powers most powerful of the four sisters, and there's also a lot of wisdom there if she's not showing off that power much, even to her fellow sisters. Striga's probably got better raw strength but I feel like even then Lenore would come out on top if the two of them fought. One gimmick powers also make sense to me as a practical animation consideration, so her showing multiple feats was also suitably impressive to me and also got my attention as "Oh, this is a character who is really going to be important."

Also random thought, I think it'd be fun if Dracula does come back (because it's Castlevania, of course he's coming back eventually if the show keeps being renewed), but has had a change of heart and just instantly owns whatever forces or powers were behind his resurrection, then fucks off to ambiguously help humanity, or plays a central role in foiling a villainous plot. I also would really get behind seeing more of what a fully in control, fed, and not mentally broken by grief Dracula is capable of.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought the Hell portal sequence was a really good use of CGI's weird floaty-ness. It looked uncanny, rather than lovely.

Yeah, I wish more animated shows had done a "here's regular animation techniques but we want something to look weird on purpose, so here's crazy CGI for it", especially when CGI still looked pretty lovely instead of just a bit off/weird like it will typically look now in animation.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

That's one of the things that did annoy me this season. Isaac arrives with a small horde and every city just meets him with a dozen guards? Like what about reinforcing that with archers or even cannons? Or hell, just pining him in place on the dock and throwing down a wall of burning pitch?

It's like the opposite of plot armor where the opponent just lose half their brain cells for an easy win.

I chalk that up to the guards just mustering who's around at the time, it's not like they had a lot of warning he was coming. The first town where he got a gift and sailed from, yeah those guys have no drat excuse beyond not knowing what his monsters could do since he literally just told his monster crew "hang here for a bit while I go chat in a shop for awhile." That's plenty of time to get some proper battle lines drawn with good equipment, though I don't see normal arrows being too effective on night creatures. I also got a vibe that the places he was visiting early on hadn't really seen them before.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sadly unlikely, Konami's pretty much totally disinterested in making new games of anything lately.

Apparently Sony or another company might be interested in buying the rights that Konami are just sitting on.

That seems like a smart move for all involved, Konami gets free money and then someone can get back to making Castlevania and Metal Gear games, along with whatever other IP they have. MG is super tied in with Kojima's vision, but I know I'd be on board with someone new taking a stab at it, maybe with the same mechanics and in the same universe but mostly focusing on telling a new story with new characters. After how wide scale MGS5 was, it'd be interesting to see some smaller sized and less open levels again, and I think the episodic/mission approach that Hitman has taken lately could be applied really well with MGS, using lots of items and techniques to subdue targets. It doesn't necessarily have to be super big and ambitious, I know that's what everyone's expecting from the franchise but I wouldn't want to try that as the first direct followup.

Anyway, I think a lot of the IP Konami's just sitting on would be pretty much guaranteed to make decent money even with a bad game, and piles of money with a good one. Castlevania of course is a pretty easy thing to do on a low budget if you stick to that classic 2D style.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ghostnuke posted:

Metal Gear is nothing without Kojima's crazy rear end

You'd lose a lot of the special sauce of it without him, but the core gameplay could still be really fun and I think his replacement could come up with similarly crazy bosses to fight.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I've chimed in on MGS before, but to expand on that: I think that any remotely interesting game IP should keep being made, even if it gets passed around to different publishers/developers and directors. Even when the game comes out and sucks, it doesn't ruin past games for me. Even with dense story focused games like MGS if the story choices made or gameplay really don't appeal to me (looking at you Metal Gear Survive), I find it a lot easier to disregard a canon game in a series than a canon movie or t.v. show. So for me it's low risk and high reward, though others may feel differently.

There's apparently going to be another Bioshock game, for instance, and I'm happy to see that there's at least a potential for another fun game there, and that an interesting setting isn't being left by the wayside just because it turned out to not be a commercial success.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'd enjoy a new hero on the team throughout the season, whether that involved time-travel shenanigans or just deciding to pull a cool Castlevania protagonist out of their normal place in the timeline of the games and having them meet up with Trevor.

I'd take a "secretly alive somewhere" Belmont, of course, but I'd probably be most interested in seeing a character with a weird/unique gimmick or set of abilities that don't quite fit within that Belmont/Speaker magician/Vampire triangle we've seen already. Of course, Alucard coming back to team up with everyone again is a must as well.

Trevor should probably be captured by the vampire ladies as well, I have to imagine he'd turn his circumstances around in a cool way, and it'd be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out with both him and his captors, compared to how it went with the imprisoned forgemaster last season. Or maybe they do establish something like the breeding pen they want in an area, and Trevor goes undercover as a dirty peasant and takes out lots of Vampires/mercenaries there Solid Snake style.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah one more season to round things out makes sense, then you can naturally jump to a different set of characters from the games. I think they have enough interesting antagonists and characters lined up already, so keep Death in the chamber and make him the Dracula-style big deal of a future series.

I'd be glad to see a happy ending for the trio, but I figure one of them has to die and Alucard's my frontrunner. Trevor is also extremely death flagged if Slypha becomes pregnant and thus the ~Belmont Line~ will continue.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

In this case I just expect a death because they live super dangerous lives and they're going to be up against strong vampire ladies + more monsters + a big ol' Vampire army + mercenaries + probably Isaac. I'm expecting them to round up some more forces to work with (kind of the "arming the villagers" scene from season 1 on steroids + getting some Speaker help maybe?), but they'll be up against some heavy numbers here if the baddies actually start putting their plan properly into motion. I guess maybe they'll luck out and Isaac will also be working against them because he wants to kill everybody and not have them live as cattle, kind of a thing where he's making trouble in the west while they make trouble in the east.

They'll still come out on top, but to do that without losing anyone seems like a really tall order. To put it another way, if you write a scene where three soldiers charge up a hill to take a machine gun nest and one or two of them die, that doesn't seem like bad writing to me.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The fight animation seems like it got a big level up this for this last season, and I'm optimistic that we'll get more action than in past seasons. I've liked the story beats too, but I'd love a season packed with more things like the Isaac vs. Legion fight, the heroes entering Dracula's castle fight, and the fight vs. Dracula.

They've certainly got a built in hook for future seasons if they just time-jump ahead to some new characters who have to deal with the fallout of someone finally bringing Dracula back, and I think by then he's been out of the mix for long enough that he wouldn't feel overused. Plus you could either have him be fully ruthless and amped up on drinking loads of blood and not being mopey and be a bigger threat that way, or you could have him trying to be a full-blown good guy and the evil vampires or whoever that brought him back now have to deal with having nice guy Vampire Jesus around, but there'd be opportunities for drama/tension because Dracula did try a fair bit of genocide and that'd be hard for our new heroes to just ignore.

A second Dracula fight, or just dealing with the repercussions of his resurrection in some way, would also be an interesting story to explore in this season, of course, and probably better to do that now instead of later since exploring more of the Alucard and Dracula relationship would be fun.

I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing based on the trailer, and I hope they keep things trucking right along and moving through different time periods/game characters and give me like 10+ seasons of this show and 3 or 4 different Belmonts.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I'd wager they'll cancel this so they can start a new series over with a season 1 salary structure instead of a season 5's, plus they can bypass the union rules that would otherwise ensure ousted sex abuser Warren Ellis continued payment post-firing.

That kind of reasoning makes sense to me. Go with Castlevania: Subtitle and off you go. I don't know if that's enough, but I feel like you gotta keep that Castlevania in there. Sucks for the animators or whoever who wouldn't be making season 5 money though.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 2, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Caught the first 4 episode then skipped ahead to the last two since I couldn't help myself. Still some story pieces I need to fill in, but all the action kicked rear end, the story that I have caught went places I definitely wasn't expecting (and I think the middle bits are set up to be really good), and the ending was just thoroughly rad. I don't think I could've come up with a better way to end things, and I usually second guess the hell out of things I watch and think about what could've been better or cooler.

I think it wraps up this show's characters well, and I'm very much looking forward to more Castlevania stuff down the line. If there wasn't any more in the works though, this would've been a hell of a series finale. Still, I definitely see the potential of jumping ahead basically any amount of time and telling a new story (with a new Belmont and various supporting characters and villains of course). I'm sure there must be more wild Castlevania stuff to be mined for an interesting story.

That Simon story sounds hilariously fun for example, especially given how this season shakes out.

For whatever reason I feel like doing a two-person badass hero setup is the way to go next time around. Basically Castlevania as a buddy cop show, or the kind of show it would've been like if Alucard/Trevor/Sypha were hanging out together throughout basically every episode of the series. I've liked the story choices the show has made as a whole, but looking back on it all my favorite moments are from when they're together (both the story/character stuff and the fights). I basically feel like that trio is to this series as Kano was to the new Mortal Kombat, only they happen to be stealing the show from a show that has way fewer flaws.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It also just occurred to me that I've made a big deal about the Belmont family line in my head, but really in the show's universe all that was special about them is that they went out hunting down knowledge and trained like hell. With the village being created at the end being called Belmont, there's really no reason that they couldn't jump ahead X number of years and have the Belmonts returned to prominence and acting as kind of an elite monster hunter guild, despite the fact that a very small amount of them are direct heirs of the actual Belmont bloodline. I think that after generally seeing humans getting their poo poo kicked in, dying, and suffering, it'd be fun to see humanity getting by okay in the 1600-1700s with Belmonts respected and helping to keep various evil creatures from messing with humans. Naturally after that some bad poo poo goes down and we're basically back to bodies in the streets, but I think seeing a golden age/renaissance kind of vibe at the start would be fun, and I'd prefer to see the antagonists enacting their plans because of their unique evil agenda and not because the church was REAL dumb and killed Dracula's wife.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Okay, actually I'm now really wishing that after Alucard tossing out Belmont as the name for the village and then telling Trevor it's Treffy, Trevor was like "Well there is that castle right there, let's call this place Castlevania" and that had been basically the last line we hear there. Like it's cheesy, but it's my kind of cheese, and maybe they could both laugh and call it a stupid name or something. That seems like it would've been in spirit with Death's line about how "This is a fun game." It's the little moments like Death's there that really showed they had the right idea about how to smartly adapt a video game.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

Remember when we heard Bloody Tears, loved it and then they were like "It was good to build to it, because it makes the use of it more meaningful" and then in season 4 they just didn't even use any again, not even Vampire Killer during times when vampires were killed? Good times.

Yeah, nothing stood out to me as a music track from the game in this season. Music overall wasn't bad, but I think something from the games could've fit well into many of the action beats in episode 9 of s4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Someone at Netflix PR did a cute save to fix their blunder on their original tweet that said Richtor was Trevor and Sypha's kid.

Based on the bits of Rondo and Symphony of the Night I heard about in relation to this news, I think it's hard to go wrong if you adapt both. Have Richtor and Maria run around and kick butt for a season or two, then turn Richtor into a major antagonist and have Maria and Alucard team up to go against him and close out the show. That'll also give us some time away from Alucard to make his return a really impactful and big moment around the end of season 2.