Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
drat it was so loving good. I can't wait until I have some time to watch the entire run in one go.

It still feels very Dark Souls to me in its enviroments. Like Dracula's castle made me think of Dukes Archives a lot. Yes I know that's what the castle looks like, but it also can remind me of something else!

I loved Godbrand "I'm a viking! What do you expect!" but Its too bad he didn't survive longer. But I was down with a human taking him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also, there's some stuff in the show that suggests this is in the future? Or is that just wacky writing stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DoctorWhat posted:

No but Dracula is a supergenius who can extrapolate from tech that the Western World forgot during the dark ages.

Ah, that makes sense. Just Lisa saying "wisdom of the ancients" which clearly included penicillin and a centrifuge. Like I can totally image that some horrible apocalypse happened that sent humanity back to the dark ages, probably caused by Dracula, but your probably correct.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You have Alucard having crazy dreams about his father, but he's been hold up in the castle so long he's forgotten what year it is, and he goes out to find out that Trev is long dead but his descendant Simon is running around.

I do love for all their power, our heroes are a bunch of dummies, though Sypha seems more naiive than dumb. I do love Trevor and Alucards frenemies thing going on too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pesky Splinter posted:

Someone's compiled a list of the easter eggs they noticed in series 2.

Some of them are obvious, but some are pretty obscure..

Wolf holding the sword is also very obviously Sif.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SirSamVimes posted:

I think this is specifically a list of Castlevania easter eggs.

Oh yea, i wasn't going "hey this missed this!' I just was saying that it probably is a reference, we know it wouldn't be the first Dark Souls reference in it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ambivalent posted:

wall chicken has been found

You mean Pork Chop

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

Going to need Jack Burton's opinion

In the manual for the first game is clearly states its a porkchop. I know its weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Barudak posted:

Its not bad per se, just absurdly lazy to the point where its a port of a psp version and lost features the psp version had. It also uses the new voice acting and script but the trophies directly reference the orginal, and to many superior, dub.

If you own/have access to a 360 or a Bone SotN with original dub is available on that, along with all 3 bad and never to be mentioned again and parallel canon Lords of Shadow games.

It's about all your going to get if you don't, or don't want to pay 90bux for a physical copy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sticklefifer posted:

There's weirder poo poo in the Metal Gear series, tbh.

I'm now imagining a MGS series on this level of quality.

This is pretty drat clever
https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/season-2-of-castlevania-just-season-1-upside-down/

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 4, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I literally have only finished 1 and got stuck in 2 when you have to kneel down with the gem and find the hidden staircase, I couldn't figure that out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

2 is not a very good game.

Yea, I got that from the AVGN videos and other stuff. Sadly, its why I never played 3, because I remember 2 being so crummy and confusing I never played another one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BexGu posted:

That's a shame cause 3 was balls to wall action and great gameplay. I remember hanging out and watching people play 2 so I correctly skipped it and only played 1 and 3 on the NES.

Yea from what I could tell from the vids is that its pretty cool and has replay value by having 3 characters to play.

Stupid Simon's Quest.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's a complicated man

But no one understands him but his woman!

I joked about a MGS show like this, but I was seriously thinking, something like this based on other games would probably be great. Like imagine Metroid would be great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NowonSA posted:

Metroid seems like a good fit for this type of animation. MGS would be bonkers, I can kind of see the template for it with this season being so much politicking/vampire chats followed by brief intense action, that seems like a MGS formula to me. No way Konami goes in for something like that instead of more pachinko machines though.

Castlevania is Konami, so i wouldn't discount MGS based on that. But yea the idea of a collection of adult animated shows based on video games made by people who both understood why the games are popular but is skilled enough to translate that into a compelling story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like fans would revolt if Kojima wasn't involved in an MGS show, but honestly, he needs someone to reign in his material anyway. Kojima unhindered borders on random monkeycheese.

Contra would be fun too, especially if it's steeped in 80s action bro dynamics, since the cover of the first game was literally patterned after Schwarzenegger in Commando and Stallone as Rambo.

I'd be very wary about a Silent Hill series unless it's done really right and isn't just fanservice, but SH done properly could be amazing.

I'm imagining a Contra series that is over the top macho on the level of Jojos.

There's also Megaman but i can't see how that would be done without feeling like they're making something that was kind of bright and cheerful and making it edge.

You can keep the weird of MGS but tell a good story using its plot. I imagine it would be kind of like the OSI from Venture bros but played straight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe EA can try to revitalize Mass Effect with an animated serious.

Hahahah, ah I just made myself sad :smith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got the PSN SotN/RoB, which should I play first? It probably doesn't matter really.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Rondo is crazy hard despite having infinite continues even in its original release, so I suggest starting with that and then giving up and playing SOTN once you get stuck.

I feel like that's what's going to happen. I mean, they're Castlevania, its always going to be hard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Rumors that the team behind this is looking at doing their own Berserk adaption.

Panfilo posted:

Things Carmilla would rather gently caress than Godbrand :

-Half of the other male vampires (sorry no uggos plz)
-All of the female vampires
-Most of the animals
-Some necromancer with a Forrest Gump intellect
-Maybe some of the anatomically correct gargoyle statues.

Probably Cypha, Alucard and Trevor (in that order) more than Godbrand too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

They've got Devilman Crybaby on there.

Yea, in the first episode a womans boob bites the head off a guy. Netflix is not afraid to get crazy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BexGu posted:

Seemed pretty easy to understand.

ANGELS FALL EVERYONE DIES!

Ending was so bleak I had trouble watching anything that wasn't kittens playing for a few days after it.

Also in the ending Satan's punishment isn't just being banished to earth, but to find love there and have it taken away from him, by him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm all "wow they showed full dong and then we get Vampire and ninja titties[/spoilers]"

But the Goon is correct, that is what Hector wanted. And I kind of think Lenore is partially honest in what she said to him, that she [spoiler] on some love actually likes him and does want him to be happy. IN some twisted way by enslaving him via the ring it will prevent him from doing anything stupid. Also hot ginger vampire lady sex

Issacs journey was pretty awesome. The battle at the wizards slave city, that was one of the most disturbing things i've seen in a while.

I hate that my only experience with Castlevania is in the 8 bit era, so i do not recognize a lot of the monsters because they were just blobs. So my brain goes to Dark Souls for this, the Angel things would have fit perfectly in Anor Londo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As for Easter Eggs, given Ellis' background, I'd bet the aborigine in front of Uluru are Manifold and the Siege Perilous from Xmen.

Yea that's the first thing that came to mind when i saw that.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd imagine there's possibly just a lot of visual cross-pollination there. I'm reminded of the Simon reveal trailer for Smash Ultimate and how I thought it was going to be Dark Souls at first. And I'm not sure if Dark Souls has any explicit nods or references to Castlevania, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The writing for this season could have been edited since the original scripts were written based on the first two seasons' reception.

Still kinda going with a theme that Hector isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and rather implied to be neurodivergent, and that gets him into the absolute opposite of the kind of support he really needs. Isaac hates humanity but wisely isn't particularly fond of vampires either, and just pleasantly surprised when someone treats him to a polite, intelligent conversation rather than trying to kill or enslave him.

The bit with Judge is interesting. Providing a contrast of the supernatural evils going on with the monastery, strongly implied to be a result of basically mind control (I thought they were going to go for something with how the night creature's 'hair' looked like a parasitic fungus) with the mundane evil of a man who appears to be a responsible and competent authority figure being a serial killer through entirely mundane means and abusing the trust put in him, with the running theme that humans can be perfectly messed up all on their own without supernatural influence. And interesting in that the Judge isn't at all an impediment to Trevor and Cipher and willing to help them once they're all on the same page- the Hot Fuzz comparison seems spot on that maintaining the town is his priority and he enjoys using murder as a tool to do so.

Yup. One of my dreams is FROM just getting the license from Konami and make Castlevania games. That won't happen ever, but it would be a nice dream. 100% Miyazaki and others on the team were influenced by Castlevania, because there really isn't many Dark Fantasy action video games.

Lurdiak posted:

Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne stole a lot of ideas from the Castlevania series, and not just in terms of monster concepts.

Yea, the ancient, crumbling castles and the general overall look is heavily Castlevania.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sockser posted:

what the gently caress is toilet paper

Its Chinese!

I really liked Comte De Saint-Germaine. The real world one lived a lot later, and was sort of a proto Alistair Crowley.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lenore and Carmilla are triggering my pale redhead and icey blond things.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope when they adapt Simon's quest they keep all the weird stuff like invisible holes and the tornado that transports you around.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I forget that this is intended to take place in the real world, which the show doesn't seem to forget. Carmilla straight up says they can't expand to the west because there are too many strong nations. This is what, the 15th century I think? So even if France and England are in the middle of the hundreds years war, a bunch of Vampires invade with monsters and that's it. They might be able to defeat petty nobles and kings in the less united east, but a large army of mixed units including archers and heavy infanty and cavalry lead by experienced battlefield tacticians, yea you're funky monsters probably wouldn't do so well. Plus it seems like Night Creatures are pretty well known and the ways to counter them would exist.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hahha i didn't know they were going to do the Artoris thing that quickly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They certainly leave the series with a lot of hooks that can be used to make more though. Even just them chosing Trevor over Simon as the main character from the start says they can always do something later on. Maybe a movie or something else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This really should be what everyone who wants to adapt a video game to a more narrative media needs to watch. They're able to create a satisfying story using known characters and locations but its not slavishly devoted to recreating everything but doesn't dumb everything down so people who know nothing about the games aren't confused. I bet you could easily watch this without knowing anything about Castlevania and be able to follow the story. At the same time it didn't jettison what people actually like so they creators could "make it their own" or being overly concerned with what a test group of people they found at a mall in Phoenix think about it.

I hate how bad I feel for Lenore

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RBA Starblade posted:

While I'm glad they walked a lot from the end of Season 3 back I think they overcorrected a little too far. It was a good season all in all, thought the ending nailed things pretty well. Also I got a lol that Not Artorias was first introduced by fighting Trevor fighting Not Dark Souls Warrior and Not Dark Souls Dual Wielding PVPer

It really makes me wish there was some kind of Dark Souls anime or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MonsieurChoc posted:

Holy poo poo, Varney was Malcom McDowell.

I spent a chunk of the show thinking "He sounds so much like Malcolm McDowell so whomever is doing the voice is doing an amazing impression" and not until the last episode I watched the credits and saw that yea, he was.

I figure most goons are aware that Varny the Vampire was a book that predates Dracula so it was cool to bring him in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like to think Varny just skipped over the running holy water is that it just didn't work. The holy part would hurt vamps but not the running partas it shows more of Zamfir's priorities are fuuuuucked.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

evilmiera posted:

So if they can make a great Castlevania series, what can they make next? Proper Metroid? A Zelda story that isn't repetitive?

An actual good Final Fantasy show?

I was thinking about this, adapt either 2/IV or 3/VI. They have the most straightforward stories.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Robobot posted:

He said Berserk would be a good show as well, but I guess it doesn't have an ending.

It's a bad friend to recomend the most recent Berserk series. Ugh, and that's my favorite storyline from the manga too. The 90s is a 90s anime so if you're okay with that, the go for it.

Dias posted:

I would recommend Attack on Titan but it ended on such a terrible note that I can't really do it without a massive caveat. Pretty good and similar in tone up until the ending tho.

Castlevania is quite heavily influenced by Berserk but Berserk doesn't have a decent anime adaptation.

Attack on Titan anime hasn't finish, so maaaybe it will end a bit better?

I'd recommend Jojos Bizarre Adventure. It's crazy, wierd and off the wall insanity with extremely complex plots but its fun as hell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tsob posted:

Also this. Jojo's Bizarre Adventures is very anime, and it's basically a better Dragon Ball Z, with far better pacing, actual story and stakes, more interesting characters and conflicts and a way better choreography than beam pushing, but the two were inspired by the same kind of manga and retain some similarities because they're structured for much the same audience despite their differences. It's very bizarre, as the name would suggest but the first season is only 9 episodes long and will give you a good feel for the show as a whole. It's one of the weaker seasons, and the show becomes more diverse in it's action and villains over time but it's a good taster at the very least. The first few seasons are on Netflix, and all the animated adaptations (it's based on a manga that's been going since the 80's and has only gotten better over time in many people's opinions) are all on Crunchyroll.

Yea, Jonathan is the weakest Jojo but getting a sense of Dio's origin is pretty important for season 3. Season 2 feels like a separate series because basically everything from it is unique and doesn't have any impact outside of Joseph being in season 3 and 4. But one of the things that people like about it is how much influence it takes from western sources. Characters are named after bands, Akagi is super into italian and other high fashion movements, I've heard it described as the least Japanese anime there is, that's probably wrong because there are animes that straight up take place in the US.

I figure there are Berserk chapters that are finished just not published. It's also possible the creator had notes and outlines that in theory could be used to make more, but I don't know. A big, accurate and well animated anime series based on it seems like a really obvious thing. Before they had to tone things down due to it being needed to be broadcast on TV, streaming frees them up to go as extreme as the manga goes.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
https://twitter.com/OSPyoutube/status/1395980745613713408