Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I hope they resurrect Dracula for the next season, except he's gently caress boy bachelor Dracula who gives no fucks instead of grieving widow Dracula. I mean, grieving Dracula was great but I feel like we'd all like to see Dracula prime.

Also, I wouldn't mind if they just completely changed around canon pacing for the show. Have Shanoa from Order of Ecclesia show up. Have it be the next season be set in 2035 and it's a Da Vinci code style adventure where Soma has to figure out how to seal Dracula while hunting down clues across the world. Have Charlotte and Jonathan show up except they're like Hodor and can only yell each other's names.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Entropic posted:

So are there any Castlevania games that would actually be interesting to someone who's never been a console gamer, never played any of the originals, and has zero nostalgia for old NES platformers?

Symphony of the Night is super accessible, fairly easy, and so good it started its own genre.

For maximum fun, play it blind and get blown away like I did as a kid at the utterly unique twist at the end.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

Yeah it drives me nuts when they call games that have nothing to do with castlevania “metroidvanias” instead of just Metroid likes.
Like yeah you can call castlevania games that play like Metroid metroidvanias but seriously respect the queen

Metroid didn't have an RPG system: level ups, equipment, and branching paths. It took Symphony to bring that to the table.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Video game genres have always been a pretty vague and frequently overlapping idea. Like how they used to call FPSes 'Doom clones' that seems so quaint after years of evolution and distinct subgenres having sprung up and mixed and mingled with other genres.

Like the most recent trend of Soulsvania

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Hector sucks, got everything coming to him.

Team Isaac, even though I hated him last season

SOTN is gonna be a lot weirder to play on my phone. I doubt Konami realized what this season was going to turn out like for him.

Belmont and Sipha adventures were just okay. St. Germaine was dumb.

It's a real gently caress you season in terms of protagonist happiness.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Trevor and Sypha are going to finally go back home and find Alucard sitting in Dracula's throne drinking wine. After their argument, he'll furiously throw it to the ground.

What is a man? [flings his wine glass aside] A miserable blue balling bastard

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I forget that this is intended to take place in the real world, which the show doesn't seem to forget. Carmilla straight up says they can't expand to the west because there are too many strong nations. This is what, the 15th century I think? So even if France and England are in the middle of the hundreds years war, a bunch of Vampires invade with monsters and that's it. They might be able to defeat petty nobles and kings in the less united east, but a large army of mixed units including archers and heavy infanty and cavalry lead by experienced battlefield tacticians, yea you're funky monsters probably wouldn't do so well. Plus it seems like Night Creatures are pretty well known and the ways to counter them would exist.

That's one of the things that did annoy me this season. Isaac arrives with a small horde and every city just meets him with a dozen guards? Like what about reinforcing that with archers or even cannons? Or hell, just pining him in place on the dock and throwing down a wall of burning pitch?

It's like the opposite of plot armor where the opponent just lose half their brain cells for an easy win.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
They just added part 3 of JoJo to netflix so go watch it. It's the most popular chapter but fans always argue which is best.

Part 1 is slow and kinda cliched, but it's short and sets up the series. Fast forward or just watch the ending of you want. Part 2 loving amazing and Joseph is by far the best JoJo.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Darth TNT posted:

I rewatched ep7 from season 2 yesterday. Still a fantastic ep. I hope next season can reach those highs again.

I loving love that Trevor's role is to terrify the Vampires, and he lives up to that role in spades. They really sold how freaked out the vamps were when encountering a Belmont that can make them explode.

I also loved how the explosions weren't just for show. They were AOEs that tossed vampires like rag dolls.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

itry posted:

I'd like to see that in a Castlevania game. And on that subject... I wonder if we'll be getting a new game out of this.

Edit: At least I don't remember anything like that in the older games. I haven't played the newer ones.

I think we'll absolutely get a new game out of this.... a new mobile auto idle Gacha game with a season pass and premium skins!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Castlevania gacha is already out in JP and Canada.

They're also not just sitting on their properties, they using them as themes for slot machines and that won't be changing anytime soon. A new theme for a slot machine costs a tiny fraction of the cost of game development and makes more money in a year than a game does in it's entire lifetime.

https://youtu.be/yr4RvdREwl8

I really like this video speculating that P.T. being a big gently caress you to Konami goes into detail about the turf battle happening between Kojima and the eventual young upstart that usurped him.

It really showed how vividly profitable Gacha games are. It's not a matter of degrees but kind.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I know the folktale, but what's a Bluebeard? I'm assuming Ellis isn't literally marrying and murdering women.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Reading that one post calling his method and "assembly line of women" just like so tiring. Like he must get off on the plan more than the act cuz that sounded like a logistical nightmare.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Just elevate randos he finds in the villages of Castlevania II.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I hope the reason they worked so hard is that they're extending this season to wrap it up.

Then, they can easily skip to another Belmont for a spinoff. Or hell, Alucard 100 years later.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
At first I was like 'i hope all the awesome fight animation isn't just one or two episodes' but then I realized I actually like the slow banter and vampire plotting scenes from S3. "This is better than sex" still cracks me up as a will they/won't they reveal.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Now that it's stuck its landing this really is the best video adaptation ever, like by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Robobot posted:

The real question is if Dracula knew it was actually Death in his court. My guess is he did.

edit:
Is there any other anime shows kinda like this? This was my first time watching anime and I liked it a lot. Hope I'm not gonna be one of those "late in life" anime fans.

You're really not gonna get the same level of dialogue writing because for better or worse that's a Warren Ellis signature. But if you're into extremely good animation and fight scenes I recommend Demon Slayer on Netflix. The direct sequel movie to season 1 was apparently number 1 in box office for both Japan beating Spirited Away, and America for a few weeks.