Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
What have you got sitting around, often powered on, but not doing much? How many wasted clockcycles are in your home?

I have 4 computers and three raspberry pi's sitting around and powered on at all times.

What computers have you repurposed for cheap NAS or HTPC purposes, but often they're just burning power night and day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
poo poo, iunno. six?

wait. i just remembered a slackware box that i accidentally sealed behind my attic walls twenty years ago. i think it might still be scraping pocsag message capcodes

yeah, i just pinged it. so seven

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my tv has more computing power than your raspberry pies. also my watch and dvr and nas and router and receiver and Apple TV and several old phones I have laying around. are we counting all those?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

when you leave a car idling, how many computers are also idling???

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
car ecu's dont work any harder at full throttle than at idle lol cmon

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

3 on the desk (if you count a windows tablet because that poo poo is basically a beefy chromebook), 1 tower, and on that tower three raspberry pis attached like lampreys. i had to get a bigger switch just for the desk

The Management posted:

my tv has more computing power than your raspberry pies. also my watch and dvr and nas and router and receiver and Apple TV and several old phones I have laying around. are we counting all those?

this is more fun to try to figure out but then i have to come to terms with the computer graveyard that is my spare closet and that sounds like work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

when i was a kid i always wanted more computer. and now that i'm an adult i have more computer.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jonny 290 posted:

car ecu's dont work any harder at full throttle than at idle lol cmon

it's cute how you think those are the only kind of computer in a modern car

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my honda has an android tablet on the dash haha

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

it's cute how you think those are the only kind of computer in a modern car

theyre the only kind of computer in a grownup's car, at least

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

two esxi vm hosts, one hackintosh, a macbook, four windows pcs around the house, countless raspberry pis and esp8266 boards

there are an additional 10 or so computers and laptops that don't stay on all the time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hmm, I have 1 (one) computer tower that I put to sleep most of the time I'm not using it, and a laptop

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hey cool another cleverly concealed thread about hoarding

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I have a computer and my wife has a computer. they both sleep most of the day like the cats

I used to have a lot of computer and now I have little because computers are bad

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

1 computer. 2 if you count the phone computer.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I have an iMac that won’t die (8 years old), a MacBook Pro with no escape key, and my wife has a MacBook Air. those are devices that are currently powered on.

I use my iPad Pro 10x as much as all of those put together.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

zero and i turn off the powerbar when i sleep. i'm a good person op

twenty powered off 'cause i'm a vintage computer dorkass

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
there's a fine line between collecting and hoarding and the line is this:

collectors are willing to part with their collections or portions of their collections for the right price

if you can't get a good price for your "collection", it's just trash you're hoarding

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i absolutely am willing to part with anything, some things for more than others but I either actively use, or am actively selling, everything.
Rebuilding and reselling poo poo I get for cheap runs me a grand a year in profit actually.

SPEAKING OF WHICH ANYONE WANNA BUY A BUNCH OF G3 ERA APPLE PORTABLES

SenatorIvy
Mar 1, 2003

Bush lied, Kentucky Fried.
Currently down to 6, only 2 of which ever get shut off. Best to leave the bedroom PC on 24/7 so that it can play Peep Show or Deadwood for the 20 minutes it takes me to fall asleep every night. I am wise with both sleep schedules and finances.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

akadajet posted:

when i was a kid i always wanted more computer. and now that i'm an adult i have more computer.

:yossame:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
fun to remember people's predictions for computers from when i was a wee lad with an ibm 88

one of my teachers managed to predict netflix in 1991

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Mad Wack posted:

one of my teachers managed to predict netflix in 1991

soon there will be program-your-own tvs
so they ask you to heed this final plea
before it's all dead
you should rent more
and enjoy video bargains
galore

ted rogers was simultaneously seen as "old man in charge of cableco" and "really smart businessman who could see the writing on the wall while you were still shaking the spraycan"; his pivot from video store to phone-and-sometimes-cable-box outlet kept a lot of people employed who wouldn't have been

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

akadajet posted:

another yospos success story

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

none

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If you aren't able to at least fill an entire class c net at home you're not really living life to the fullest

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

zero but winter will soon be upon us and their heat will be necessary

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it friggin snowed yesterday so winter's upon us now, and i must say i enjoy the heated aura around my computer

spiders seem to prefer my server which is a-okay with me, because i prefer spiders to the things they eat

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I only own 1 computer op

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
im pretty sure bitcoin miners count as computers so 150

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i ordered another computer from apple today. gotta feed the computer addiction

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

computers huh? well lets see theres 4 smart lightbulbs in my living room, 3 in my bed, 6 in my kitchen 4 in my bathroom, my internet-connected fridge, my smart toaster, my juicer, my microwave, my dvr, my smart tv, my xbox, my thermostat, my roomba, my light switches themselves, my alexa, my google dot, my other alexa, my smart blanket, my other juicer, my toothbrush, my phone, my girlfriends phone, my smart doorbell with webcam, and our laptops.... so, 2 computers?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
a 2012 mac mini server
this thread reminded me I had another 2008 mac mini with centos that I use to run a vpn on, im going turn it off

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

IDLING!?

All my boxen are hard at work mining altcoins thank you very much!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
0, if we are excluding embedded stuff like microwaves and dvd players. I use a computer at work, and only turn on my laptop if they call me. My phone is a flip phone, but I do have a tablet so i can watch football on saturdays and make bad posts.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

my mac mini server's video output is busted so i can't ever turn it off.

my entire business relies on that pos, lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

router, access point, synology, intel nuc for iTunes streaming. I guess my security alarm console is probably a linux too. everything else is off or in s3

influx.
Dec 16, 2007

Nice pants!
mediaserver, nas, media player, games pc, other halfs games pc, dj/music laptop, surface

too many computers

pram
Jun 10, 2001

HoboMan posted:

my mac mini server's video output is busted so i can't ever turn it off.

my entire business relies on that pos, lol

business must be real good if you cant afford a new $1k computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
none, op. I have 2 computer @ home and they both sleep

• Locked thread