Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

About a week ago my desktop stopped being able to completely boot windows 10, it would get stuck on a blue screen. My suspicion is that the hard drive is failing, it's pretty old and lovely, and I ordered a new one. The problem is that I have a bunch of valuable files on it that I want to recover. In the mean time while I wait for my new hard drive, I'm booting linux mint from an external hard drive, and I'm wondering how I can access the files on the hard drive from the usb booted linux, so I can hopefully just move them from the internal drive to the external. I'm super unfamiliar with linux in general, is this even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Can’t you just use Clonezilla, and clone the original drive? All you need is a thumb drive to boot from.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I tried to boot to windows from the external drive and that wasn't working, I also created a recovery disk from my wife's computer and that wouldn't boot either, so far the only thing I've gotten to boot is Linux.

I figured out how to access the internal hard drive, now the problem is I can't mount the partition on the external drive to copy the files into, I keep getting errors.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Allright so I solved the problem, got my new hard drive in the mail, installed windows on it, working fine. Also got an enclosure for my old hard drive and I should be able to just move everything over.

• Locked thread