Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
so, I'm over here doing my voting research, right?
make-believing that democracy works, like a good prole

as usual, there's not much info on the offices nobody gives a poo poo about, especially the non-partisan positions, so I have to do some of my own research
and, I want to tell you guys, about what I found, when I looked into the election of the Alameda County Assessor
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
f.a.q.
what's a county assessor?
they assess property values for tax purposes in california

ok cool.
yw

i didn't say thank you but ok
sorry
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗

so we've got Jim Johnson– some dude who's been working in the assessor's office for 20 years, and pretty much looks like it:

and Phong La– a property tax attorney, former community college real estate professor, and small businessman, with no direct experience working in the assessor's office (to which Johnson has made certain to respectfully draw polite criticism):

boy, do these two ever look like men who would professionally assess the values of property in their county for tax purposes

I read through their candidate statements,
which, of course, are seldom to be taken at face value, but might lend some insight, by, for example, the candidate alluding to known dog whistles, or revealing that they seriously give so little of a poo poo that they didn't even bother to submit a candidate statement, or, in some fun cases, displaying a mildly concerning disconnect from reality, such as Rudy Peters, candidate for united states congress, who took the time to let voters know that for the "Security, Solvency, and Sustainability" of this country, he supports "Stopping intellectual property theft by foreign countries", and "Alternatives to Type 1-7 plastics". what the gently caress are you talking about, Rudy? those aren't real political issues. you're an insane person: stop running for congress.

but Phong and Johnson just seemed like they're incredibly boring dudes, who might legitimately just be concerned with making sure property values are assessed fairly, for tax purposes
these are boring, I include them for completion's sake:

quote:

JAMES “JIM” JOHNSON
My education and qualifications are: I pledge to provide you with the lowest taxes legally allowed while keeping politics and financial influence that may raise your taxes out of your Assessor’s office. I have 26 years of dedicated public service to Alameda County taxpayers. I am the only candidate with any assessment administration experience. I am endorsed by the retiring current Assessor who knows I’m uniquely qualified to continue the proficient, cost efficient administration of your Assessor’s office. I will continue the policies that have led to the outstanding average assessment rating of 99.84% in the most recent State Board of Equalization’s survey. I hold a California Appraisers Certification and have personally been responsible for the continued oversight of our award winning computer modernization project giving me a unique understanding of how the entire office operates. We will soon complete our document scanning project and I will also place live video kiosks in various locations throughout the County to improve customer service. My results-oriented philosophy will be focused on the office and duties of Assessor, which includes assisting low-income housing projects and revenue projections for Cities, not providing political favors for supporters. I encourage you to visit www.JimJohnsonForAssessor.com for more information. I respectfully ask for your vote.

quote:

PHONG LA
My education and qualifications are: I have real-life experience and expertise with property assessments as a property tax attorney, real estate professor, and small business owner who helps residents file assessment appeals and avoid overpaying taxes. I am an outspoken and tireless advocate for improving the County bureaucracy and eliminating waste and inefficiency. I am a no-nonsense problem solver and will bring fresh ideas and real estate legal experience to the Assessor’s Office. I will protect residents and small businesses by ensuring that everyone is treated fairly. I will collaborate with non- profit organizations and community leaders to boost quality affordable housing and decrease displacement in our neighborhoods. I will make the office more transparent by digitizing millions of paper files and giving residents immediate access to their documents. I will work with the State to aid small businesses by simplifying government forms. We deserve an experienced leader and successful advocate with a plan to guarantee fairness, accuracy, and outstanding customer service at the Assessor’s Office. Please join Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, Controller Betty Yee, Treasurer John Chiang, Congressman Eric Swalwell, and many state and local leaders in supporting me. I respectfully ask for your vote. Thank you. https://votephongla.com

so I checked out their websites
Jim Johnson is endorsed by:
  • Ron Thomsen, a county assessor
  • William Rousseau, a county assessor
  • Rich Benson, a county assessor
  • John Scott, a former county assessor
  • Russ Hall, a former chief deputy county assessor
you get it– assessors seem to like him. not out of the ordinary. might be a little in-groupy, but who would know better about who's qualified than a person who already has this poo poo rear end job that I can't believe I actually have to vote for?

Phong La is endorsed by... a... collage?

?
are those firemen?
what does fire have to do with assessing?
why... any of these groups? I've never even heard of most of them.

I found statements from the fire fighters, but no reason WHY they endorse him

they just sort of do, I guess

to put it in perspective, most of the candidates I looked into today don't even have websites, facebook pages, or even candidate statements, because nobody gives a poo poo
voter information websites, where candidates can express their platforms to potential constituents on a neutral platform, generally look like this:

nobody gives a poo poo
and the video of the candidate forum for the Alameda County Assessor, hosted by the League of Women Voters has a total of 28 views, including me, in a county of more than 1.5 million people, because, and I can't emphasize this enough, nobody gives a poo poo
but that's not the weird part

I dug a little deeper, and checked the campaign finance contributions
campaign finance contributions for the office of the county assessor are a matter of public record, but they're not collated, and they're unlikely to be reported on by even a local news outlet. you have to personally go through the county database and retrieve the contribution filings
but, as with any matter put to a democratic vote in this country, following the money gives you a little window into who's actually invested in a candidate's success, or, to put it more cynically, who they'll really be working for if they're elected. so it can be a pretty good barometer when reliable sources are thin or contradictory, if you're willing to invest the effort, which you're probably not, and corruption in the office of the county assessor, while laughably petty, is not unheard of,

Jim Johnson, the regular guy, who the other assessors like, has contributions from pretty much who you would expect– friends, family, or colleagues, chipping in a couple hundred bucks to their boring friend's campaign, to pay for mostly lawn signs

names like Ron Thomsen, and John Scott– the above-mentioned county assessors who endorsed him. the kind of people, in other words, who you would actually expect be interested in the election of the county assessor.
largest contribution? $5,000 from a guy called Grant Mulligan, owner of ParcelQuest. what's ParcelQuest? ParcelQuest is a middleman company that collates, organizes, and resells data from the county assessors offices... which is kind of hosed up! Jim Johnson's getting my side-eye now. surely that's one of the only people who could possibly have a vested financial interest in being in the good graces of the county assessor, right? and he's just lining this motherfucker's pockets. would just about figure, wouldn't it?
so I take note of that and check out the other guy

I am going to split this op into parts for pacing and ease of navigation, please do not interrupt, you'll know when I'm done because the last word will be "Arizona"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Phong La...

Phong loving La

Jim Johnson had ten (10) finance filings on record, of which only seven were records of contributions. that's on the high side– most filing lists for county-level poo poo top out at around five
so why,
one might wonder,
would Phong La have
forty
loving
FOUR???

because he is receiving
an absolutely ridiculous amount of money in contributions, of course

Jimmy Johns received monetary contributions totaling a perfectly sensible $9,425– not even enough to cover the loving filing fee for running for this godforsaken office– he made up the rest of it in a loan from his own personal savings. that's not unusual. La also lent himself some money. what is unusual, is
Phong La received monetary contributions totaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFy0hQ3lY-w

who are these people?
well, they're all over the place– venture capitalists, lawyers, realtors, democratic members of the state assembly and u.s. congress, doctors, engineers, business owners, and a couple from La and his family. also, the firefighters show up again
who is Phong La? why would so many disparate people donate thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars to somebody in this race that most ballot recommendation lists forget to even mention?

but that still isn't the weird part
maybe Phong La just has a large extended family, stupid ambitions, and more money than he knows what to do with

most of the money, he doesn't even seem to have ever actually gotten around to spending

his biggest expenses, with the exception of the filing fee, were $4,500 to the League of Women Voters marked as "campaign literature and mailings", which... n-no? The League of Women Voters is not a printing or distribution company, so that's strange,
aaand $12,000 in consulting fees, paid to a guy who I'm not going to link to because he seems like the kind of guy who'd be abnormally lovely about being written about on an internet forum but just trust me he comes off a little sketchy. I don't know how much campaign consultant fees for somebody running for county assessor should be... because I've never seen a paid consultant in the pipeline for a County Assessor. it's just not... really a thing that happens? I've been doing my homework on these minor ballot things since I've been old enough to vote and I've never seen this. I have no idea what I'm looking at. this position should not be that important.

but that, is also, not the weird part

the weird part is
as such
and thusly:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

why
the gently caress
do so many of these donations
end with the number 41?

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

what, fuckin, weirdo, 41... cult, poo poo, did I stumble onto here? is there some significance to that number that I don't know about? is it like a good luck number in vietnam or something?
what secret, nefarious power does the Alameda County Assessor hold?

uh

Arizona.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hell yeah this is good poo poo

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
:raise:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i like how one photo has the most boring man against the most boring background possible, while the other candidate appears to be surrounded by a powerful halo of tax assessment energies

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is the best ever cspam thread

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

this is definitely some sort of money laundering scheme and some cartel is gonna buy sa for millions just to delete the thread

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

and I'd bet if someone contacted the people with 41 numbers none of them are aware they've contributed to an Arizona county assessor campaign

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Arizona is a hellish, unholy ground, and this is simply a cult making blood sacrifices to prevent a great evil from swallowing our devil nation

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
This is fuckin cool.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
aw poo poo buddy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I have greatly enjoyed this thread but to my broken commie European brain this seems like an office that shouldn't be elected but instead manned by civil servants.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Cubone posted:

why
the gently caress
end with the number 41?

what, fuckin, weirdo, 41... cult, poo poo, did I stumble onto here? is there some significance to that number that I don't know about? is it like a good luck number in vietnam or something?

this is the funniest fuckin post i've seen on this website

also, condolences to your family when you're found in 5 pieces in the bay

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The numerology number 41 is a number that tends to express its innate sense of personal freedom with building a secure foundation for the future.

The number 41 is conscientious.

The number 41's sense of personal freedom generally leads it to focus on establishing financial, physical, and emotional security for itself. Although 41 has a strong focus on building that secure foundation, it is curious and interested in pretty much everything.

41 is sensual, adventurous, and has a quick wit. It will pursue anything that interests it as long as its interest is maintained.

When asked for an opinion 41 may be blunt. It responds according to how it perceives things.

A person with a 41 in a prominent numerology chart position generally is comfortable interacting with others.
https://affinitynumerology.com/number-meanings/number-41-meaning.php

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

forkboy84 posted:

I have greatly enjoyed this thread but to my broken commie European brain this seems like an office that shouldn't be elected but instead manned by civil servants.

We elect coroners too! don’t forget to donate to NaturalCausesPAC 2018

Cubone
May 26, 2011

oh sorry for clarification this is in California
I picked "Arizona" as an arbitrary code word because there was an Arnold Palmer on my desk. in retrospect I should have known that would be confusing

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

forkboy84 posted:

California decided to recreate the aristocratic class in the form of property tax being static from when you buy the property and onward, so long as its only inherited and not sold. So a tax assessor is probably more powerful than they could be otherwise. Not that I've ever heard of a tax assessor running mad with power somehow. TBH pretty much anything thats not legislative should be filled by sortition anyway.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Cross check the donors with the largest landowners in the county. Checkmate libs!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
what on earth

forkboy84 posted:

this seems like an office that shouldn't be elected but instead manned by civil servants.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Cubone posted:

why
the gently caress
end with the number 41?

uh

Arizona.

hell yeah, ground floor on this. Oakland is a fuckin crazy town

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

This thread is cool as hell but I have to chime in with my fellow commie Europeans in saying you probably shouldn't elect tax assessors.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
don't you crazy bastards elect sheriffs too?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eox posted:

don't you crazy bastards elect sheriffs too?

yep. we also elect district attorneys, who are the ones who actually bring charges against people on behalf of the government. the cops cant actually do anything if the DA doesn't want to press charges, so between the two of them, law enforcement and the justice system is WILDLY variable depending where you are. also, some counties have elected judges. lmfao.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Silver Nitrate posted:

We elect coroners too! don’t forget to donate to NaturalCausesPAC 2018

Yo, this is bonkers

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
You have to elect the coroner because the coroner is the only person with the legal authority to arrest the sheriff and thus must represent the will of the people

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
:nfpa:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

twoday posted:

the coroner is the only person with the legal authority to arrest the sheriff
How did your country last a hundred years, much less 242? :psyduck:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

so alameda county is one of the largest counties in california, part of the filthy bay area, and set up for enormous growth, and property value assessments are a big loving deal in the state.

the only thing that surprises me here is that the position wasn't bought more thoroughly already

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

frankenfreak posted:

How did your country last a hundred years, much less 242? :psyduck:

I believe that part is a holdover from Napoleonic code in the Louisiana territory that got grandfathered in in some parts of the West, they don't do that on the east coast

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Prav posted:

so alameda county is one of the largest counties in california, part of the filthy bay area, and set up for enormous growth, and property value assessments are a big loving deal in the state.

the only thing that surprises me here is that the position wasn't bought more thoroughly already
What bothers me about this that the recorded expenses don't seem to be doing much to get his name out. This seems like an election where people go "Oh, I heard this name before!" when in the voting booth. (We don't know what exactly that consultant did, though.)

Also how do the firefighters figure into this?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ahahaha what the gently caress

DEMOCRACY

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is the best thread

Regards, carol from hr

Sidda
Oct 14, 2012

This owns, ty cuboner

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sidda posted:

This owns, ty cuboner

how dare you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Considering this guy has control over the taxes major corporations and their shareholders pay onproperty, it's probably old fashioned corruption,

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The .41 might be a sign of a bundler

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
OP is following the money!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShWe-4mtV8w

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

frankenfreak posted:

What bothers me about this that the recorded expenses don't seem to be doing much to get his name out. This seems like an election where people go "Oh, I heard this name before!" when in the voting booth. (We don't know what exactly that consultant did, though.)

Also how do the firefighters figure into this?

the bay area has a long history of "mysterious" fires when developers don't get their way and want some low income housing to disappear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
also you should email this stuff to the chronicle or the east bay times

• Locked thread