Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

This is a "one-shot" play-by-post recruit for the 2nd Edition of The Black Hack, where I'm gonna pull out this minimalist one-page dungeon and throw some adventurers against it. I'm using this to learn both the rules of The Black Hack and the concept of old-school dungeon crawling, so do apply if you're interested in those things and don't mind me flailing around in the DM's seat.

I'm looking for 3-4 players, just create a level 1 character for your app and post it here (will trust you folks to roll for stats in whatever way you choose). No need for detailed backstories, just give them a reason why they're storming the Citadel of Evil (the blurb in the image above might be a good starting point, spoiler cultists are involved). There's not much in terms of setting, so feel free to define the world outside the dungeon for the purpose of Backgrounds. I'm thinking the tone and vibe should be similar to fantasy comedy anime ala Slayers, or at least a less cruel, wisecrack-heavy version of TBH's default weird fantasy.

Recruit will go on until November 4, 11:59:59 PM EST, though that might change if turnout is different than I expected. Here's a Discord link for the game if you have questions.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Lady Izena of Mountainhome, Warrior 1

Prior to the dark events and darker treachery that saw the holdings of Mountainhome consumed by evil and renamed simply the Citadel, Izena was the heir to the mountaintop castle. Her life was, as you might expect, filled with comfort and ease, but that changed when she and her mother were forced to flee the devastation that fell upon them. Izena's talent for martial matters was what saw them through the years that followed. It was her mother's dying wish that the Citadel be reclaimed and, gods willing, Izena will grant that on this day.

Warrior posted:

HP: 7
HD: 1d8
Usable Weapons & Armor: Any and all
Attack Damage: See 'Dealer of Death'

Background: "I grew up in the halls of Mountainhome, often exploring the nooks and crannies within. Though the place has changed in the years since, odd constructions added here and there, I'm sure I can remember a few alternate routes."

Ability Scores:
Strength 15
Dexterity 11
Constitution 10
Wisdom 5
Intelligence 7
Charisma 11

Equipment:
Wyrmscale Tunic (AV2)
A Rapier
Wyrmscale Shield (AV2)
2 coins
An unread will
A vial of her mother's tears
Rations (Ud8)
Climbing Gear

Class Abilities:
SELF RELIANT
When rolling Broken Armour Die a Warrior may re-roll results of 1.

SHIELD BASH
When you are Attacked in melee combat whilst holding a shield - and your roll to Defend is 1-5, the attacker takes damage equal to your Level.

DEALER OF DEATH
A Warrior has a ‘pool’ of Damage Dice (d6s) equal to their HD.
• When making an Attack distribute any number of these Damage Dice among any number of Nearby targets.
• For each target the Player assigns the Damage Dice, the Player must come up with an exciting and bespoke narration for the Attack.
• Make an Attribute Test for each target to see if they are hit, if so, roll the Damage Dice assigned to them and reduce their HP by that amount.
• The pool of Damage Dice resets at the start of the Warrior’s turn.

Advancement:
Acquire and share a number of Experiences equal to your current HD to advance a Level. When you gain a Level:
• Roll a d20 once for each Attribute - if you roll over, it goes up one point, make an extra roll for one attribute of your choice.
• Gain 1HD - Roll a d8 with Advantage to gain that many additional maximum HP.
• Gain a Damage Die.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 3, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Beryl, Thief 1

Before she arrived at the Citadel, Beryl barely managed to escape her own imprisonment after she and her previous group were caught [strike]stealing[/strike] borrowing a few things from some rich noble who's name she forgot. They almost got away with the goods, but an argument broke out about cake, of all things, and it only got worse from there. Beryl was the only one in her group to get away, but not without taking an old map that they found with her, first. With nothing else to do now, she followed the map, and it lead her to the Citadel, where some big, important treasure is supposed to be. Maybe it's not a good idea to raid a place called the "Citadel of Evil," but she's determined to find that treasure, and live a rich, comfy life off of it.

quote:

HP: 5
HD: 1d6
Usable Weapons & Armor: All onehanded swords, all bows, daggers, cloth, leather, small shield
Attack Damage: 1d6 or 1d4 if unarmed

Background: "I used to be a part of the Wild Ones gang, but not anymore. We'd "take" things from the rich jerks we don't like, and spend it all on ourselves, but it doesn't look like we're going to be doing that anymore, seeing as how most of my old gang are in jail now. Their fault for getting caught."

Ability Scores:
Strength 11
Dexterity 13
Constitution 10
Wisdom 11
Intelligence 8
Charisma 9

Equipment:
Cloth gambeson (AV1)
Bow & arrows (Ud8)
15 coins
Bag of sweets
Locket with a portrait
Crowbar and Labourers Tools
Grappling Hook

Class Abilities:
ROGUISH TALENTS
Roll Attribute Tests with Advantage when performing the following Actions:
- Delicate tasks
- Climbing
- Listening and eavesdropping
- Moving silently and unseen
- Understanding written languages
- Finding secret things

NIMBLE EXPERTISE
Roll with Advantage when testing Dexterity to avoid damage or effects from traps and magical devices.

SNEAK ATTACK
If a Thief has Moved silently to get behind a Creature, and they are unaware of the Thief ’s presence, the Thief may make an Attack that automatically hits and deals 2d6 + the Thief ’s Level damage.

DEEP & MURKY PAST
At the start of the gaming session roll a d10, if the result is below your current Level - you can customise or entirely change your Background.

A DAGGER FOR EVERY OCCASION
Regardless of what the Thief is carrying, they can produce a small throwing knife from somewhere about their person.

Advancement:
Acquire and share a number of Experiences equal to your current HD to advance a Level. When you gain a Level:
- Roll a d20 once for each Attribute If you roll over, it goes up one point, make an extra roll for either Dexterity or Wisdom.
- Gain 1HD - Roll a d6 - gain that many additional maximum HP.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 3, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

That Lily-of-the-Valley Soltis would be needed here was written in the stars. Of course the Lady of Fate hadn't written why it had to be her or what exactly was going on. No, just that she needed to be here at this particular moment. Prophecy tended to be frustrating that way. Still, having escaped the tyranny of their former master, the Unbound had sworn to do good in the world. Following up on dark portents and nipping whatever foul scheme was behind them in the bud had to count, right? Especially if it involves a place called the Citadel of Evil.

Wizard posted:

HP: 3
HD: 1d4
Usable Weapons & Armor: Cloth, one-handed sword, staff, dagger
Attack Damage: 1d4 or 1 if unarmed

Background: "In the Archives of Tjat I learned all that has been written - including how to escape the Chronicler's chains. Now I and the other members of the Unbound bring the light of knowledge to the world. It'd be nice if they were a bit more grateful."

Ability Scores
:
Strength 6
Dexterity 10
Constitution 8
Wisdom 8
Intelligence 12
Charisma 12

Equipment:
Cloth robes (AV1)
Bent oak staff
Short sword
A void creature's egg
10 coins & purse

Class Abilities:
MEMORISING SPELLS
Once per day a Wizard can spend an Hour memorising a number of spells equal to their Level, from scrolls and books. A Wizard can only memorise spells of levels up to and equal to their current Level.

CASTING SPELLS
A Wizard may spend an Action on their turn to cast a spell from memory. Once the effects are resolved, the Wizard should make an Attribute Test - adding the spell’s level to the roll. If they have already cast the spell this session this Attribute Test is made with Disadvantage. If they fail, the spell is no longer memorised, and the Wizard cannot cast the spell until they memorise it again.

Familiar:
Axiom - Three eyed hummingbird

Spells:
1st Level -
Charm: A Nearby NPC or Monster obeys a simple command and will perform a simple Action.
Magic Missile: A Faraway or Distant target takes 1d6 damage for each of the Spellcaster’s Levels.
Light: Creates dim light from a Nearby spot or object that lasts for Ud8 Minutes.
Shield: Gives the caster Arcane Mail (AV2) - when each Armour Die is broken it’s gone for good.
2nd Level -
Detect Magic: Everything Nearby that is magic glows - lasts Ud6 Minutes.
Knock/Lock: A Nearby door or lock is either opened or locked.

Advancement:
• Roll a d20 once for each Attribute - if you roll over, it goes up one point, make an extra roll for either Intelligence or Wisdom.
• Gain 1HD - Roll a d4 - gain that many additional maximum HP.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 7, 2018

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
fine ill be kazuma

Inquisitor "Al" Albrecht, Cleric

Al's here at the aptly named CITADEL OF EVIL on assignment from the Order of Our Radiant Lady. You can't just send the paladins in to tear a place up without scouting it out, especially when the name is so forward that it could very well have been scribbled on a map as a joke. Since there's no real time pressure on this investigation, Al will be following his flawless strategy of wandering around aimlessly, being nosy until any malicious actors out themselves by attacking him.

quote:

HP: 5
HD: 1d8
Usable Weapons & Armor: All blunt weapons, cloth, leather, mail, all helmets, all shields
Attack Damage: 1d6 or 1d4 if unarmed

Background: "I used to be a book finder before I became an inquisitor, so that's why I'm good at appraising occult artifacts and evil texts. Now please stop asking me if I used to be a cultist."

Ability Scores:
Strength 11
Dexterity 8
Constitution 8
Wisdom 12
Intelligence 10
Charisma 9

Equipment:
Thrice knotted cord (holy symbol)
Thick Cloth Vestments (AV1)
Two Handed Hammer
Tiny stone box with a voice trapped in it

Class Abilities:
BANISH UNDEAD
A cleric may spend an action to banish all nearby undead by testing their WIS and adding the creatures' HD to the roll.

DIVINE FORTIFICATION
Roll with advantage when making a CON attribute test to resist poisons or being paralyzed or impeded.

MEMORIZING PRAYERS
Once per day, a cleric may spend an hour memorizing a number of prayers equal to their level from scrolls and books.

INVOKE PRAYER
A cleric can spend an action on their turn to cast a prayer from memory. Once the effects are resolved, the cleric should make an attribute test, adding the prayer's level to the roll. If they have already cast the spell this session then this attribute test is made with disadvantage. If they fail, the prayer is no longer memorized and the cleric cannot cast the prayer until they memorize it again.

Prayers:
1ST LEVEL
Cure Light Wounds
Detect Evil
Light

Advancement:
- Roll a d20 once for each Attribute If you roll over, it goes up one point, make an extra roll for either Strength or Wisdom.
- Gain 1HD - Roll a d8 - gain that many additional maximum HP.

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 1, 2018

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Alright, this works out for me! Will get this started this weekend.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

The Citadel casts a dark shadow from it's mountain. Lady Izena, Beryl, Lily-of-the-Valley, Albrecht, the four of you have assembled in this dark place by the calls of a nearby village, whose people have been abducted by a terrible cult that resides within the Citadel. The villagers have urged you to rescue their kin on their behalf, and in exchange they have provided you with tools for the journey and the agreement that whatever treasures you find inside is yours to keep. You all already had your own reasons for take this quest, of course, but who could say no to free stuff?

There are two ways to enter the Citadel. The first one is suicidal, a trek up the winding mountain path where the castle's hobgoblin mercenaries can hurl arrows on you from high above and with impunity. The second one is much less known, an ancient cave system brought to ruin after the fall of Mountainhome. No one would consider that a safe and reasonable way to the Citadel. Well, perhaps Lady Izena would.

You soon find yourselves entering a large natural cave at the side of the mountain, several levels below the summit. Close to you are the members of your own party, Nearby are a pair of tiny frog people, each about three feet tall, murmuring to each other in low cloaks. They don't seem to notice you yet. Their lantern is the only thing illuminating this cave right now, including the dark tunnel ahead (which is also Nearby). You can make out the outlines of three pathways with this light, but no further than that.

What do you want to do for the next few Minutes?
As a reminder: every turn you get to Move (usually to someplace Nearby) and interact with stuff with an Action (how much you can do depends on whether we're moving in Moments/Minutes/Hours/Days).

Mitama fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 3, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Lady Izena

As the party enters the cave system, Izena says, "It looks a little different than I remember, but I think this should wind up to the lower levels of the keep. There was a rather handy nook I'd slip through in the larder, but I'm not sure if the caves have shifted since or if the walls were reinforced. In any case... well, we won't get any closer to our goal by standing here and shivering!"

Putting action to words, she gracefully strides over to the hooded figures and says, "Hail, friends, and well met. What brings you to the mountain on this day?"

As an action, moving to the frogs and interacting!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Inquisitor Al

This was a pleasant change of events. He didn't even need to waste time drawing anyone out!

"I doubt this cult has made any significant change to the place, unless they've abducted half the town for the sole purpose of interior renovation." He eyeballs the frogs' lantern and briefly considers asking for it. "Well, first things first: fire."

Moving down the straight path and lighting my torch (Ud6) with my flint and steel.

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 3, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Beryl

"Let's just a move on," speaks up Beryl, "The sooner we can kick those cultists butts, the better," and the sooner she can start looking for treasure, too.

For now, Beryl walks closer to the frog people along with Izena, and briefly considers if they can keep them around as emergency rations.

Moving to the frogs for now.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Lily takes a moment to undo the tie holding her spellbook closed, flipping through it rapidly to find the spell she wants. She reads it over to refresh her memory before using the reference to cast a shielding spell on herself. That done, she follows Izena over towards the frog folk - both because she's decided it's just good policy to keep the armored and armed woman nearby, and because the frogs are the most interesting thing here at the moment, being unexpected.

Memorized Magic Missile. Moving to stay near Izena and casting Shield on myself from my spellbook.
@Gorbash: 1d20+1 vs 12 to cast Shield = (7)+1 = 8

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 7, 2018

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Let's assume that everyone's at (2). I won't ask Al to roll Usage for his torch yet since it seems unfair to do that while there's another light source nearby.

In this tunnel, the floor is wet and treacherous from the water dripping from the ceiling. A dank, earthy smell fills the air.

"Oh! Oh dear." One of the frogs turns to Izena, a little worried at first. Her companion puts a shoulder on her, then speaks for them.

"Hey, hi." The other frog says, trying for a friendly face. "We're travelling folk, from a swamp from far away. We decided to rest here at the foot of Mountainhome for maybe a week. But one of our companions, my friend's partner here, she's a real daredevil. She wanted to climb up this mountain just to say she could. And we haven't heard from her in days. So, yeah. We were just figuring which way she went when... you know, you said hi."

With the torch adding the Frogs' lantern light, you can see a little further through the three other branches of this tunnel. They all lead into different rooms, though you can only gets hints of their nature from the darkness; the one on the left has a dim, red glow, the one on the middle has yellow mist wafting from its doorway, the one on the right has the faintest trace of mushroom spores along the walls.

What do you want to do for the next few Minutes?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Inquisitor Al

Al can feel beads of sweat form on his forehead when he spots the spores. He immediately starts walking the other way, towards the red glowing room. Regular rear end evil he could deal with.

"We'll be sure to say hi when we find her," he says casually. "I'm sure we'll come across her while we bumble our way up."

Moving West to the red room!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Lady Izena

Izena says, "Yes, indeed, I could imagine that she's found peril. Would you tell me her name and yours, by chance? If we find her along the way, I'm sure she'd be more likely to trust us were you to have arranged for a rescue."

Continuing to interact!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'll describe rooms as you enter them, though keep in mind the turn order.

Al, the room that you're in (3) is lit by a dim red glow by three fire beetles on the wall Faraway from you. They're about size of a large dogs, like stag beetles but seemingly made of glowing lava and can stick to walls. They don't seem to notice you just yet. There's also a small pool Nearby in the middle of the room. You spy a bit of twinkling at the bottom of the pool.

Coming closer to the pool will let you check out its contents. You don't know how the beetles will react if you get their attention.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Inquisitor Al

Well, no need to disturb such peaceful creatures. Al turns right around and walks back into the entrance.

"No evil in there, just a couple of glowing bugs and a dead end," he reports, "which leaves only one way left." He sets his torch down, unslings the sledgehammer on his back, and approaches the door to the North. He takes a couple of practice swings to rehearse bashing the door open at its handle. "Everyone ready?"

Moving back East and getting ready to open this door the only appropriate way.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Hm, I'm Iris," Says the frog who has speaking the whole time. "This is Rose. We're still kind of getting our bearings, but if you go ahead of us, please let Lily know we're here."

"W-wait," Rose looks at Al. "What about the way on the right?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Lily-of-the-Valley walks over towards Al, frowning a bit as she considers their options. "I think the door falls within Beryl's purview - dealing with traps, locks, and such things is why she's along, is it not?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Izena says, "It will be my pleasure, Rose and Iris. Hopefully you will be reunited with her soon!" With that said, she moves to join her comrades by the door.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

“Yep, that’s me. Beryl; professional trap and door checker,” says Beryl, with a slight roll of her eyes, as she moves up to the door. “I’ve got other skills too, y’know...” She mumbles to herself, while she checks the door for any traps that might be laid on it.

Moving to the door and checking it for traps!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Al sighs, setting the sledgehammer down and leaning on it. "Like what?"

Forgot to mention memorized Cure Light Wounds

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

“Yes, of course, but your talent for patisserie is not particularly relevant in the current moment,” Lily-of-the-Valley replies, waving her handing half-placating half-dismissive gesture.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Izena says, "Though it is indeed quite tasty! I've never known a finer éclair!" She looks wistful for a moment, clearly wishing that Beryl might produce one from the aether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

“Like dealing with a bunch of people who won’t stop yapping while I’m doing my job,” Beryl replies to Al, with a slight grumble.

”At least someone here appreciates my pastries...”

• Locked thread