Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Saw 10 minutes of the first video. Immediately bought the game and played for 3 hours. This is going to be fun.

Loved the witness LP by the way. It was good enough to watch after I already saw two others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

LashLightning posted:

unwanted Spoilerstuff

Come on man! It's the first update.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 31, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks again for bringing this game to my attention. It's good. Can't wait for more videos.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Important gameplay mechanic hint. It's purely about pressing a certain button, but if you think that's a spoiler, just ignore it. But it would be kinda inconvenient if you don't figure that out. I'm pretty sure it's explained in the little help menu.
If you press tab to open the book, while examining a person, you can see the infos you found out about them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Gnoman posted:

I thought that the artist was a bit cheap, as IDs go. His "portrait" is just his initials, so you can ID him as soon as you encounter him.

The idea is that he's the only one completely absent from all of those sketches. The main character makes that logical step themselves.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

whitehelm posted:

Who else was yelling at the screen when he marked that Nunzio Pasqua was killed by Nichols but didn't go and mark Nichols's picture with his name?

Just FYI this is not a real spoiler for the game. It's just about something which happened in the video which was fairly obvious. The spoiled text does not give any new information.
They'll probably rectify that soon enough.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

homphgomph posted:

Burning alive takes a while! I assume.

That totally depends on the fire. If it's hot enough to make your bones boil, it will probably be a quick death. And it's magic fire, so who knows?

Edit: After watching this vide,o I'm really kinda disappointed. I know that I played it like this myself, but you are doing quite a bit of brute forcing. Pretty much every person's identity can be determined with 90% security. Including the four Chinese topmen, who have a subtle, but 100% deterministic method. I know it's probably too late for advice, but I think you're robbing yourself out of some of the best moments in the game this way. For example, the two woman are clearly distinguishable because Miss Jane Bird doesn't have a wedding ring.
Also you should probably try to look a bit more at the difficulty ratings of the persons. There are two really easy ones you haven't found out yet.

But don't get me wrong. I do still enjoy these videos.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 26, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
By the way, the carpenter is probably my my favorite dude in this game! Think about it: He's a black American who managed to become a skilled craftsman long before slavery was prohibited.
Then later on, he sees a giant crab monster, which spikes his mate to death, while also injuring him. After it dies, he doesn't seek shelter or try to fix his wound. Instead he grabs that weird flame shotgun and bolts to the other crab. Then he burns it from point blank while it skewers him in three different ways. He even delivered a cool line while doing that!

Not gonna lie, I had him and his mate switched up for a while, because I couldn't imagine that a black person would have had such a high position, back then. But it was also filled out incorrectly because I wasn't sure about the exact definitions of spiked and speared.

Oh, and from what I remember you pretty much also guessed those guys. There is a memory where they're both in the carpenters shop, carpentering things. Maybe you saw that in some cut footage.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 26, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Glalev posted:

I remember seeing that part in one of the episodes, yeah. One of the two is looking out of the carpentry room all 'the hell is going on?' while the other one is inside. It's hidden well away from the core of one of the scenes though.

Right, I think they didn't go in there back then and didn't really notice that he was peeking out of the shop.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I've actually saw the logic of some of the hardest identities and I'd argue that that the vaguest necessary guess would be Maba (tattoo guy), since there isn't really anything linking him to anything else. I guess you're meant to infer that those are pacific tribal tattoos, but that's a bit of a stretch. But none of the other topmen look particularly New-Guinean, so I guess that's why he has difficulty 2.

There's one person who is really tough to find out, But that's almost definitely on purpose. That guy can be guessed by some vague clues, but even he has a (kinda stupid) deterministic method.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 26, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Is the video still processing?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

The fun thing with the cook's death is that you can't actually tell how the thing killed him until you've gone through chapter 4 and seen that they're mermaids. Until then all it looks like is a weird tentacle.

Yes that tripped me up a bit. at that point I thought those were some giant crab pinchers.

I'm glad you finally found out Brennan's name. As you've seen he's really good at killing people. Besides the captain and technically Nichols, he has the most marks on his belt.

A little clarification about the order of things during that mutiny. (Not actually new information with regards to deaths or identities. Also besides one unnamed person, that scene is cleared up.)
The guy with a missing arm bleeds out. With his last breath he makes an ominous warning about the curse of the kraken. The gunners mate decides to blame the captain for everything and proposes to steal the ship to the fourth mate. Unfortunately, the other guy hears that and tries to snitch. So the GM stabs him in the back and was going to finish him of with his gun. The fourth mate wasn't really that much into the mutiny plan, so he tried to stop that. During that struggle he blew away his head. In comes Brennan, hears calls of mutiny, sees a stabbed person and that the FM just shot the GM. So he just sort of whacks that poor dude without giving him a chance to explain.
To be fair though, the situation was kinda tense. All of that happened at the exact same time as the murder struggles for the last boat.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 30, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Also some more information about people and stuff.

In some sense you posthumously framed Abraham Akbar. The game would have accepted "shot with cannon by beast".

I think you correctly identified Mr Wolff Tophamhat as the gunner earlier, because he's clearly the one giving the command for the shooting line after the captain told him so. But I think you second guessed yourself at some point, because the mate's hat looked more important.

Furthermore, you sometimes see those guys handing out the guns. Usually it would be the gunner, but later on, when you noted all the guns the mate carried, his boss was already kraken-cannoned, so he got a promotion.

Also, in the one instance the GM talked, he doesn't use articles. "Captain can'r be trusted. We take boat." I guess that's supposed to be kind of a Polish accent. By the way, the voice actors are mostly from the countries they're supposed to be from. That's kinda cool.

Edit: Man, I must really like this game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Okay, why on earth did it accept Fell Overboard for Charles Miner. You don't even see him die, literally all you know about it is that he got torn apart.

You can examine the corpse of every person who died on board. Since you can't see a corpse, the logical implication is that he fell overboard in some way. Lifeboats count.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
After watching the video, a few more notes.
The bosun's mate is hanging around with his boss sometimes. For example, he holds Filip Dahl, while the bosun, gets some rope to tie him down. And he's right next to him, when the squid tears off the arm making the Bosun pass out, so it's reasonable that he would ask what happened to his mate there. Furthermore Charles is wearing a Marinière. But yeah, he's deliberately tough to find out and looks like a regular (strong) sailor.
The Russians are clearly distinguishable. Under the hammock with the sign hangs a pipe. Later on, when he died, one of them is actually smoking it.
You were joking about it, but you actually can distinguish all the Chinese topmen by their boots.
The helmsman is the one who's allowed to touch the helm, yes. It's a bit obtuse, but imagine if some lowly sailor would just go there to look good on a picture. You're actually allowed to guess him after the very first memory.
In the memory where the bosun's mate accidentally shoots somebody, you can see that a person hiding from the crabs in the purser's office. Unsurprisingly, that's the purser. The glossary explains this, but a purser is basically a mixture of a ships accountant and a little shopkeeper for the crew. So he needs a personal office, which can be locked. Also when he tries to flee, he carries a stack of paperwork.
The fourth mate's steward (little boy) is standing right next to the fourth mate in the execution picture. If you go into the corresponding memory, you can actually see him hiding behind the fourth mate, so you'd think they're familiar.
I forgot how to decide between the last three crewmen. But there is a way.

I am happy that you noticed that first page of the book, before you went of the boat. Otherwise that would have been a lame way to find out. where Henry (and the others) went. :) The fact that the very first page, which you usually wouldn't read anymore gives you important information is so great. That page is even before the index, just to make it a bit harder to stumble across. If you really hadn't noticed it, I would have quoted your screenshot from the first post.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks for the LP. Despite my rants about your guesswork, it was a lot of fun and impressive to see it from another perspective. And besides, I might not have bought the game in the first place if you hadn't woken my interest.

I feel a bit bad for Martin. He wanted to set the last mermaid free, and was killed for his effort.

Tenebrais posted:

There's a lot of noise going on while the captain is killing the mermaids, but not during the memory when Martin is making the bargain. Which tells me that the captain stopped killing the mermaids because it worked - the kraken left. He also took their shells and threw them overboard to make sure, but missed the one Filip had tucked into his jacket.

Also, everything is tilted during the last memory with the captain. So I think it happens at the same time as the memory where the squid almost keels the boat over. I think that's the one with the explosion.
Incidentally, I don't think the captain's wife died yet at this point. Martin told her in her last moment that Cap was below deck. So he already went for the enhanced negotiations before he knew his wife died, since she was the last death in the doom. (Discounting the people who went missing and the bossun who later died from blood loss.)

Incidentally, if Henry Evans hadn't messed around with killing his monkey (and later badmouthing it in his diary. Jerk!) the civilians would have just gone of board and Leonid wouldn't have had a chance to stop them by stabbing them. Imagine how the depressed the captain must have been at that point. He just wanted to go home and bury his wife. And after all those unnecessary killings he just wanted to go to sleep and even took of his clothes. But then his former brother in law and the remaining two members of the crew all want to kill him. Can't blame the guy for ending it all, after that whole mess.

Tenebrais posted:

But hey, the mermaid had only been asked to get the ship home, so whatever.

She also took her sweet time with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

Well, first he was torn apart. Then he fell(was dragged) overboard. Then he was drowned. And was eaten. By the captain.

Well, yeah. He ate everyone. Afterwards he tried to hang himself, which broke the mast. That's what happened in the eyes of Queen (King?) and country!