Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ALL HAIL OUR NEW PREDICTION OVERLORD

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1047248920907329536

oh and I guess congratulations to Yankees North

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Inb4 Harper signs with the Padres.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"Elegy for '18" series thus far:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Resign Marwin, sign Grandal, sign Cruz, resign Morton

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sign everyone or die trying

Just kidding the Yanks aren’t spending money this offseason even tho the Red Sox just showed us that if you pay money for elite talent you’ll probably win!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remember when no one wanted to pay JD? Good times.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/MLBPA_News/status/1056943783835848704

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

Resign Marwin, sign Grandal, sign Cruz, resign Morton

yes

Keuchel's time has passed

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember when no one wanted to pay JD? Good times.

We say that, but dude got paid with a bunch of opt outs. I just don't think anyone wanted to pay him for 8 years.

And then he went on to have a career year and win the world series with a great postseason.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Carlosologist posted:

Sign everyone or die trying

Just kidding the Yanks aren’t spending money this offseason even tho the Red Sox just showed us that if you pay money for elite talent you’ll probably win!

Haven't the Yankees already shown that themselves like, 40+ times over the past hundred years

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

TheChirurgeon posted:

Haven't the Yankees already shown that themselves like, 40+ times over the past hundred years

Hal believes that you don’t have to spend 200 million to win and doesn’t like lining the pockets of other owners, so massive payroll cuts it is

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

quick, go to JD Martinez' Wiki page

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the popes toes posted:

quick, go to JD Martinez' Wiki page

I could go faster if you would link it after saying we should go to it quickly

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

quote:

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.

- A. Bartlett Giamatti

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVC9b0K1Iis

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dodgers OPS in the Series was .550

Red Sox was .690

Is it time to rethink LAUNCH ANGLE?!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Call up Peter Alonso, cut Jay Bruce, move Seth Lugo to the rotation, and get as many potential bullpen arms as you possibly can.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MrMojok posted:

Red Sox was .690

Nice.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Things I'd like to see the Yanks do, outside of major FA acquisitions:

Resign Robertson.
Resign Hechvarria for a year. With Didi out they'll need someone to super utility if Gleyber winds up playing short.
Resign Walker. Can play second until Didi gets back, and is fallback if Beefy Lad AL regresses.
Opt out of Gardner and try to sign him to a lower AAV as a fourth OF/trade chip if they get Harper.
Resign Happ.
Resign CC for a year.
Invent a time machine and don't sign Ellsbury.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Go for Machado, Cubs. I'd rather have a dirty player on our team than a domestic abuser.

Don't you loving dare re-sign Murphy.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Part of me hopes the Dodgers miss out next year and have to rebuild. I can’t take another full season of waiting to see if we get wrecked in the WS again

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Go for Machado, Cubs. I'd rather have a dirty player on our team than a domestic abuser.

Thoughts on signing Harper?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The NL East might actually be...fun, cool, and competitive next year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SourKraut posted:

Thoughts on signing Harper?

Sure if the price is right, but if it's $400 million over 10 years that'll probably backfire.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Red Sox was .690
Nice!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol ESPN -- The way-too-early 2019 Power Rankings: Can Boston repeat?

This list sucks, and obviously you can't make real predictions before seeing how free agency / the winter meetings play out.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yea, I think Machado fits the Cubs needs right now more than Harper, and I think Harper is going to be way more than Machado too. Do not resign Murphy, for the love of god. Is Russel officially shipped off to the moon, or is he still on the team?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol ESPN -- The way-too-early 2019 Power Rankings: Can Boston repeat?

This list sucks, and obviously you can't make real predictions before seeing how free agency / the winter meetings play out.

It's really silly for me to be annoyed by the A's ranking on such a conceptually stupid list but I'm annoyed by the A's ranking on such a conceptually stupid list

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yeah they seemed like one of the most egregious slights to me

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Sure if the price is right, but if it's $400 million over 10 years that'll probably backfire.

There's only one player in the sport right now who I would believe could reliably play up to a $40M AAV for the better part of the next ten years, and that's Trout. Even then though, you run into the Angels' problem where you're paying Trout so goddamn much you've lost a lot of the financial flexibility required to build a team around him.

The rumor is Harper considers bidding to start at 10/350, which yikes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dutchy posted:

It's really silly for me to be annoyed by the A's ranking on such a conceptually stupid list but I'm annoyed by the A's ranking on such a conceptually stupid list

Twins at 11 is incredible (and not in a good way).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sydin posted:

There's only one player in the sport right now who I would believe could reliably play up to a $40M AAV for the better part of the next ten years, and that's Trout. Even then though, you run into the Angels' problem where you're paying Trout so goddamn much you've lost a lot of the financial flexibility required to build a team around him.

That rumor was a made up number out of thin air from a guy on a Yankees fanblog, which then got picked up by some B-tier website that reported it as a fact. It's literally fake news.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Both the NHL and the NBA are cool and good, my friend.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHr8NxA8raw

The bad lip reading guy did one of the MLB

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Angry Grimace posted:

That rumor was a made up number out of thin air from a guy on a Yankees fanblog, which then got picked up by some B-tier website that reported it as a fact. It's literally fake news.

:sad:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sydin posted:

The Angles also have to pay Pujols which doesnt help either

OTOH, if you are the Phillies and are paying nobody rigjt now, you can pay Harper his 400 mil and still have enough room to add a few more guys

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Huge lol to the team that drops 10/400 on a guy who has averaged 2.5 bWAR (3.7 fWAR) the last three seasons :smug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Well Played Mauer posted:

Things I'd like to see the Yanks do, outside of major FA acquisitions:

Resign Walker. Can play second until Didi gets back, and is fallback if Beefy Lad AL regresses.

Hell no. Walker could have probably been fine if he played every day last year, but we saw what happened when he didn't, and he won't play every day in 2019 either. If the Yankees can't beat his numbers with an internal option they're hosed.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHr8NxA8raw

The bad lip reading guy did one of the MLB

Oh my God the ending one is amazing.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 29, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

Hell no. Walker could have probably been fine if he played every day last year, but we saw what happened when he didn't, and he won't play every day in 2019 either. If the Yankees can't beat his numbers with an internal option they're hosed.

Your logic confuses me. I mostly agree that he's preferable as a starter than a utility guy but I thought the idea was that with DiDi gone he WOULD be the 2B starter with Torres moving to SS?

If nothing else I rather do that then go for Machado. Which is what I'm most "afraid" of this winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Your logic confuses me. I mostly agree that he's preferable as a starter than a utility guy but I thought the idea was that with DiDi gone he WOULD be the 2B starter with Torres moving to SS?

If nothing else I rather do that then go for Machado. Which is what I'm most "afraid" of this winter.

Oh, yeah I guess I assume they're going to keep Torres at 2B and plug SS rather than move him and plug 2B, which is probably dumb because a good SS is harder to find.