Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Huge lol to the team that drops 10/400 on a guy who has averaged 2.5 bWAR (3.7 fWAR) the last three seasons :smug:

Something something ~historic 2015~

Can't wait for the entire Cubs OF to be overpriced and mediocre!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, yeah I guess I assume they're going to keep Torres at 2B and plug SS rather than move him and plug 2B, which is probably dumb because a good SS is harder to find.

Yeah I was thinking Torres goes to short, and Walker starts at 2B. Gives them time to see what Voit can do as the league figures him out. Worst case is Walker goes back to a floater and you have a very good infield and don't have to drop $25-35/year on Machado.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's slowly dawning on me that there is no more baseball and it is poo poo.

How do people who follow the NFL religiously go 40 weeks out of the year with nothing to watch?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Popete posted:

How do people who follow the NFL religiously go 40 weeks out of the year with nothing to watch?

Beer and MAGA rallies?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, yeah I guess I assume they're going to keep Torres at 2B and plug SS rather than move him and plug 2B, which is probably dumb because a good SS is harder to find.

Yeah, I mean I could see them being apprehensive about screwing with Torres too much if the idea is to move him for 2019 and then move him back in 2020. And being drawn in my the allure of the big free agent signing. But hopefully Machado tarnished himself enough to hurt that and I just rather take the shot with Walker if he isn't gonna go out and get some big contract (which seems unlikely).

Popete posted:

They just watch ESPN talk about the NFL religiously for those 40 weeks. Gotta watch the schedule release!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For those who want some total bullshit in the offseason to watch, get a Willow.tv subscription and watch cricket IMO. The upcoming Pakistan/NZ series should be very close, and starts with the very easy-to-watch T20I (2-3 hour) games.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Arizona Fall League 'fall stars' game will be broadcast on mlb.com and the mlb network this Saturday, from what I understand.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

STAC Goat posted:

They just watch ESPN talk about the NFL religiously for those 40 weeks. Gotta watch the schedule release!

The hilarious part is the NFL schedule, as in who plays who, is known at the end of every season before the playoffs even start. All the release is is date and times.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dutchy posted:

It's really silly for me to be annoyed by the A's ranking on such a conceptually stupid list but I'm annoyed by the A's ranking on such a conceptually stupid list

I'm fine with the top of that conceptually stupid list

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/fckeveryword/status/1056659371680260096

:hai:

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sydin posted:

Something something ~historic 2015~

Can't wait for the entire Cubs OF to be overpriced and mediocre!

I don't think you have to wait for that.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

In Atlanta I hear as much about the Falcons as the Braves before the NFL preseason practices even start.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

They run and read about mock drafts every 3 hours starting the day after the Super Bowl.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Here's what I hope the Phils plan for the offseason is:

Trade Carlos Santana, sign Harper, Kimbrel, Machado, Corbin, maybe Miller, and Kershaw if he opts out.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'd love for the Pirates to sign Asdrubal Cabrera so I, too, hope Machado goes to Philadelphia.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
lol there's no way the Phils are re-signing Cabrera. News came out that the prospect the Mets got, Franklyn Kilome, had to get Tommy John, which means that trade worked out badly for both teams.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I realized I have Wednesday nights off--the same night the local hockey minor league affiliate has dollar beer night.

That'll occupy my time while we wait to go gently caress you daniel murphy and gently caress you addison russell where ever they go (hope it's Jupiter).

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/BerniePleskoff/status/1057001720281067527

https://twitter.com/BerniePleskoff/status/1057026139225346048

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:
:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

GA you're starting to prospect hug again and you know where that road leads.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Well, if he's excelling on a big stage then he's boosting his trade value as well as his internal prospect status. After the Kela and Archer trades the high-upside talent is really drained in the system, so having someone like Tucker emerge as a viable player is critical.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
This sucks so bad. It took me this entire season + the entire NL playoffs to get over last year. I really don’t know how to keep caring.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It didn’t hurt as much this year as it did last year, did it? That’s IMPROVEMENT!

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I don’t know, last year it seemed like there was a high probability of getting another chance, whereas this year it feels like the window is closing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is Russel officially shipped off to the moon, or is he still on the team?

He's arb-2, so they can non-tender him this winter.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I don’t know, last year it seemed like there was a high probability of getting another chance, whereas this year it feels like the window is closing.

I think that’s the putrid aftereffect of witnessing the October Horror. They have a strong core of young dudes and they have a new Kershaw, Kenley is going to get his heart fixed, they will be back.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Red Sox off season is pretty straightforward. Figure out next year's closer, get the back end of the rotation set, bench bats, assess Pedroia's health, and see what it would take to lock in Bogie (a free agent after next year) or Betts long term.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mustached Demon posted:

I realized I have Wednesday nights off--the same night the local hockey minor league affiliate has dollar beer night.

That'll occupy my time while we wait to go gently caress you daniel murphy and gently caress you addison russell where ever they go (hope it's Jupiter).

Hell yeah minor leagues

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
We need to figure out how to loving hit and get at least one solid starter.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Kolten Wong wins his first Fielding Bible award, which may ease the sting when he's robbed of the Gold Glove on Sunday.

Note: Javy wins for multi-position.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MrMojok posted:

I think that’s the putrid aftereffect of witnessing the October Horror. They have a strong core of young dudes and they have a new Kershaw, Kenley is going to get his heart fixed, they will be back.

<150IP is a bit loving soon to be declaring anyone a "new Kershaw".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

<150IP is a bit loving soon to be declaring anyone a "new Kershaw".

He might be a new Kershaw but he's no Danny Duffy (when he's on)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would just like for the Marlins to do something that isn’t just trading JT Realmuto for a disappointing return but I am expecting nothing.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Wainwright's contract details have been revealed and it is Extremely Good

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1057018973609431042

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Part of me hopes the Dodgers miss out next year and have to rebuild. I can’t take another full season of waiting to see if we get wrecked in the WS again
Missing the postseason for one year is not the worst thing in the world, but it shouldn't trigger a full rebuild and idk why you'd want it to. This team still has a lot of young and prime-age talent on it.

The emotional exhaustion is real, but I still want to see Kershaw win it all in a Dodger uniform first and foremost.

It only feels like the window is closing because Kershaw is showing his age and the team wasn't as good this year as last. But they can and should win more than 92 games next year. We get Corey back! And Urias!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 30, 2018

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

mentholmoose posted:

Here's what I hope the Phils plan for the offseason is:

sign Kimbrel

yes please do that for real

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tom Gorman posted:

Wainwright's contract details have been revealed and it is Extremely Good

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1057018973609431042

This is good and I like it. In my perfect world he does okay this year and comes back on a comparable deal for 2020 so that he and Yadi have one last year together.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Kirios posted:

GA you're starting to prospect hug again and you know where that road leads.

It is day 1 of the offseason, what kind of fan isn't huggin the poo poo out of prospects and projecting their decent AA lines into surefire MLB All-Stars the next year?

I don't know how Luis Rengifo got traded to the Angels in the first place but he hit .299/.399/.452 with 41 SB and finished the year in AAA as a 21 year old SS/2B and he's listed as 10th in the Angels farm system.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Good Dog posted:

It is day 1 of the offseason, what kind of fan isn't huggin the poo poo out of prospects and projecting their decent AA lines into surefire MLB All-Stars the next year?

Hey, my AA prospect I was hugging last year was lighting up radar guns in the bigs at 105 mph this year. :colbert:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If the Cubs don't sign Machado they should trade for Starlin Castro and move Baez over to SS permanently.

I would be fully content with that being our entire off season.

Actually gently caress it, don't sign Machado and do that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

Ah, the ol' Loaisiga.