Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I have heard this story a million times over the years but this is the first time I've ever seen a video. Crazy.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1057643417004584960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/1057683883720953857

Meh. He was garbage for us in a small sample last year but his career has mostly been a good one, so hopefully that normalizes. That said we have way too much RHP in the pen.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1057430507221217280

Bill wrote a real solid article here.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
"the games take too long!" say the people paid to watch them who want to leave the ballpark as soon as possible

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

Which is funny considering away from Coors he's mediocre as hell.

Half a season of an all-glove no-bat third baseman and half a season of an absolute baseball god is still valuable as hell.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Earlier this year there was a spate of reporters complaining about how they preferred the games to end earlier because of their filing deadlines and it was the most tone-deaf, unrelatable complaint possible.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://www.mlb.com/news/toughest-qualifying-offer-choices/c-299747254

Qualifying offer is $17.9 mil and teams have until 5pm Friday to make the offer. Looking at it, I'd say there's 6 or 7 players who will definitely get a QO, and decline it:

Bryce Harper
Patrick Corbin
Dallas Keuchel
Charlie Morton
Yasmani Grandal
Craig Kimbrel
Kershaw if he opts out and doesn't immediately sign a new deal

Then there are some tough calls. Michael Brantley is worth a QO but not sure the Indians want to risk him accepting. AJ Pollock hasn't been fully healthy in years and has never come close to replicating his transcendent 2015; I doubt the DBacks want to pay him eighteen million next year. Hyun-JIn Ryu was one of the best starters in MLB when healthy but missed months with a torn groin on top of other injuries. Dodgers can probably re-sign him for less money. DJ Lemahieu is another guy on a small/mid-budget team that wont risk paying one guy that much money. He's worth it though and is a fan favorite here in Colorado but no one here thinks he's coming back. I doubt any of these guys get a QO but you never know how teams value their players, I mean Colby Rasmus got one once.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

Half a season of an all-glove no-bat third baseman and half a season of an absolute baseball god is still valuable as hell.
A .984 OPS in Coors is not "absolute baseball god"

His wRC+ at home is 129. For context, Justin Turner's road wRC+ was 143 the last two years.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

His wRC+ at home is 129. For context, Justin Turner's road wRC+ was 143 the last two years.

I get irrationally angry every time someone brings up how good Justin Turner is. loving Cardinals.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

And also that .787 OPS isn't "no-bat" either, especially when the majority of those road games are going to be in San Francisco, LA, and San Diego. That's still above average even with it being SLG-heavy.

He's put up 33 WAR in 6 years, Donaldson put up 37 WAR in his 6 years but is several years older.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Arenado's career road wRC+ is 108. That's the same as Jurickson Profar this year, just behind Brian Anderson and just ahead of Matt Duffy. It is thoroughly mediocre.

3B who's road wRC_ was around 108 this year include Travish Shaw, Maikel Franco, and Mike Moustakis.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

IMO it's not really fair to just look at Arenado's home/away splits and say lol he sucks actually. Hitting at Coors Field obviously inflates a guy's stats, but also makes them worse away from Coors. The 2018 Rockies, a playoff team, had the 29th best away offense, and since the team was formed they are far and away the worst hitting team on the road: https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.a...ers=0&sort=16,d

The best explanation I've seen for this is that it's as hard to adjust to not hitting at elevation as the other way around, but Colorado players have to make the adjustment all drat year, while visiting teams have to deal with it a few times per season. IDK but the effect seems to be real, it's backed up by 25 years of stats at this point.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I agree that the hidden Coors effect almost certainly kills some of his road production. But his home production is still pretty pedestrian when you do even basic park adjustment.

Arenado is a good player but he's not the borderline-mvp candidate people want him to be.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
They should just erect a pressurized dome around Coors and regulate the air pressure.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Come on, enough about Coors or they'll never expand to Mexico City

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Whenever we talk about Coors home/away splits I always like to bring up Larry Walkers insane reverse (slightly) splits in 1997.

Home: 384/460/709 1.169
Away: 346/443/733 1.176

The man slugged 733 away from Coors :stare:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

They should just erect a pressurized dome around Coors and regulate the air pressure.

Paging Elon Musk.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Paging Elon Musk.

How will it help to have a guy show up, take a bunch of taxpayer money and then tweet about how Dinger is a pedo?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Inspector_666 posted:

How will it help to have a guy show up, take a bunch of taxpayer money and then tweet about how Dinger is a pedo?

I mean, have you seen Dinger?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I thought the Yankees were gonna let Gardner walk.... Surprised he's back.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

I thought the Yankees were gonna let Gardner walk.... Surprised he's back.

Given what happened to the OF depth this season I'm not surprised they brought him back at all, especially for that much money.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

Given what happened to the OF depth this season I'm not surprised they brought him back at all, especially for that much money.

If Frazier is healthy he should be able to fill the McCutchen role and that is pretty much the outfield.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, even if they have plans to go after Harper (which I'm skeptical on) insurance was always a logical choice there. Relying on everyone to stay healthy after 2018 would be very silly and Gardner seemed willing to accept a role position this season.

I kinda wanted them to let Gardner go and try and keep Cutch... but that was never actually going to happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, even if they have plans to go after Harper (which I'm skeptical on) insurance was always a logical choice there. Relying on everyone to stay healthy after 2018 would be very silly and Gardner seemed willing to accept a role position this season.

I kinda wanted them to let Gardner go and try and keep Cutch... but that was never actually going to happen.

I really hope they don't go after Harper, or Machado for that matter.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I, too, hope my team doesn't go after the two best free agent position players on the market for ~reasons~

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
idk this Chicago Tribune article makes a pretty good argument.

quote:

Machado’s free-agent price plunged during the postseason. His latest burst of laziness — and acknowledgement that hustling wasn’t his thing — was possibly the last straw for anybody asking if the infielder is worth $300 million. He isn’t — not for organizations that truly care about creating the right clubhouse culture and playing the game the right way. Not for organizations that value winning championships.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Organizations that value winning championships famously avoid having really good players.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Extra extra, read all about it! Yankees re-sign Gardner to cheap 1-yr deal, confirm they're out on Harper!

Popete posted:

idk this Chicago Tribune article makes a pretty good argument.

I was unaware the Chicago Tribune had become the St. Louis Tribune :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I, too, hope my team doesn't go after the two best free agent position players on the market for ~reasons~

Yup. They don't fit the team, are overrated and will be overpaid.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Happy Halloween! https://twitter.com/superszcz4/status/1057727335057760262?s=21

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Extra extra, read all about it! Yankees re-sign Gardner to cheap 1-yr deal, confirm they're out on Harper!

I was unaware the Chicago Tribune had become the St. Louis Tribune :v:

To be fair it's an article by the local AM radio sports guy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

He should hand out his bats, we all know they're full of magic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't want Machado. He's a prick and the Yankees have a SS past this season. Even if Didi is done in NY I rather move Torres there and work on filling 2B. But I'd like to wait out Didi unless the Yankees have no interest in re-signing him or are scared he won't recover. edit: ANd yeah, Yankees have a young 3B too who is a potential star.

Harper's a lot harder to argue against especially since a big left handed bat between Stanton and Judge would be nice. I'm certainly not going to be sad if the Yankees sign 26 year old superstar. I'm just a little iffy about having a ton wrapped up in effectively 3 slugging RFers, even on an AL team where one can DH.

Unless there's internal reports that say different the offense should probably be the Yankees' lowest priority this offseason.

But obviously I'm not going to be in here weeping if my team signs big talents.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 31, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I smell collusion from the media and owners to drive the price down on Machado. He's just a nice regular guy!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Both Harper and Machado are stupidly young and have insanely high ceilings. Like both haven't even technically hit the "prime" years for MLB players yet. Harper has been disappointing the past couple years but has a 10 WAR season under his belt with some of the best power in the game and a fantastic eye for walks even in the throws of his worst slumps. Machado plays GG defense at 3B and by the metrics improved dramatically at SS once he moved to the Dodgers, and has averaged ~5 WAR a season so far in his career. Both are deserving of big money and if either played up to even half their ceiling they are franchise altering talents who should be pursued by any team that wants to win.

That said I fully expect both to turn into pumpkins the second they sign $300M mega deals because baseball.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I think Harper is actually fine and his OBP is incredibly good and he does have incredible power. The whole WAR thing is so skewed because apparently he is a loving awful outfielder ever since he stopped running into walls full speed.

I also think Machado is fine if you can deal with being an evil team and having a general rear end in a top hat on your team. The plays at first were definitely super lovely and he should get suspended for poo poo like that.

Both players are great (and young). Teams should want them. And you shouldn't care how much your billionaire owners are going to have to spend on them.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I want Nutting to have to sell off 7 Springs to fund a $40 million AAV Machado contract.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I remember getting dogpiled when I complained that this

was a horseshit slide but then oops he's cleated like 5 more guys since and pedroia's career is basically finished so what do I know

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

And you shouldn't care how much your billionaire owners are going to have to spend on them.

Sadly there are roughly 27 teams whose fans have to live in the real world.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Wasn't Machado also the guy that threw his bat at someone years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

"clubhouse culture and playing the game the right way" are good negotiating catch-phrases for teams that aren't going to pay anyway. If anything is really hurting Machado it might be his lack of enthusiasm for playing 3B where his arm might be more valuable.