Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why does the literal best pitcher of his generation turn into league average in the postseason?

Guy is a sub 3 era freak his whole career, but in a ton of post season innings he is just 4.20 ERA.

Is it

1- Better competition in the postseason / More scouting / More pinch hitters
2- Tired from having maybe the most IP of any pitcher in the past 10 years
3- Shook in the playoffs
4- Small sample size

Or a little bit of all 4?

I just dont get how the literal best pitcher turns into league average in the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Regarding the whole Kershaw only take short term deals under his true market value, is he not some kind of Pentecostal christian or something? Might be some weird humbleness/guilt thing going on.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Well Played Mauer posted:

With Kershaw I wonder if he and the team know enough about his back to know he's not gonna go late into his 30s, and any team doing a physical would find the same thing, so why not lock in your career with the same team?

I still gotta say, its incredibly impressive to me the guy has such character he doesn't just force a way for some team to sign him for $250 million for 8 years or whatever. Many players even if they figured would be unable to play well or play through injury past year 4 of that deal would still want teams to sign them for it.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ego symphonic posted:

I would argue that it is the players' moral imperative to extract as much money from ownership as they possibly can.

If the theory that he knows his back is bad and he will never be able to live up to the contract, I'd say he is just fine playing the contracts in short term. Normally I'm all gently caress the owners, but if you believe your medical condition might make you incapable of playing, it's pretty honorable to not sign a contract you believe you wont be able to even do attendance for.

It's much different than just being 32 and expecting you might regress but don't expect yourself to become incapable whatsoever of pitching possibly.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The best pitcher of his generation might just not love baseball (or a giant contract) as much as the fans or other players do. Heck, his priorities might be more like

1 - Family
2 - God
3 - Setting up some amazing new charities with the already 100 mill i've earned
4 - Retiring sooner to spend more time with my family and to start expanding the outreach I can do Africa and South America, etc
5- Baseball playoffs are fun I guess
6- Need to negotiate for more money
7- Need to negotiate for the good of the players association.

So I'd totally get why he would just sign an extension even if some posters see it as hurting his union brothers.

Now if I am totally wrong and this isn't just a really amazing, giving guy. Maybe is a stupid stats head and wants to retire before his real decline and be on paper the best pitcher of the post pedro era. It would be guaranteed if he doesnt do the last 3 years of averageness or terribleness most great pitchers do.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 3, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Call me a party pooper but I think neither of Machado or Harper should be getting super contracts nearing 400 million.

Harper and Machado both have had a few average-to-good years in the past five years, even though Harper had that insane superhuman year, that was 4 years ago. Machado isn't a star SS to go with his bat.

Neither of these guys are a trout comparable where they only have great offensive seasons.

Predicting no more than 290 mill for either.

If you could have gotten Trout at 26 or Kershaw at 26, yeah, risk the budget and offer 400-500 million. But these guys? nah

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wouldn't CC be in the top 5 or 10 "5th starters" in the league? He absolutely helps a team more than he blocks someone elses opportunity. Thats a spicy take to not want CC back.

Supposedly the Nationals offered Harper 300/10 years with no opt outs. I'll be surprised if he get a much higher offer.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sydin posted:

So we've now got rumors that the Dodgers won't spend, the Cubs won't spend, and the Yankees are 100% out on Harper. During FA season full of historic, but on paper very expensive talent.

Is that... collusion I smell in the air?

Nah, I'm sure it's just every big market owner people thought would spend suddenly having a come to jesus moment on their need for sudden financial conservatism.

I am as pro-player , gently caress management, get as much money possible for the players as you can get.

But if Harper doesn't get a ton of offers, that doesn't make it collusion.

There are only a few teams that are competiting to win in the next few years. Of those teams, how many need an OF. Of those teams, how many are already near or over the luxury tax? Of those teams, how many are willing to risk a 7-10 year contract, when historically, almost half of those long mega contracts have been failures.

Team management realizing after 30 years that the old "give AJ Burnett 120 million, give BJ Ryan 60 million, give Chris Davis 160 million, etc" deals are way more common than they realized.

So of the 5 or 6 teams it actually makes sense to bid on him for, maybe 3 of them will be competitive about it. Who knows how it will work out.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
First year in a long time not a single blue jay won anything

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NiceGuy posted:

Lol JD is so awesome. He’s going to get paid a bajillion dollars when he opts out new year.

Assuming his next season or two is 85-95% as good as the current, I'd see no problem of him opting out and getting 90/3 or maybe 100/4

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Pussy Boss posted:

Hall of Famer IMO

100% HOFer if he was a catcher all his seasons. If he was drafted as a 1st baseman though I don't think he'd even be in conversations.

No fault of his own his body couldn't handle catching in his later years, but interesting thought either way.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tom Gorman posted:

Mauer is a HOF'er in my book, whatever that counts for (nothing)

To me he was one of, if not the best catcher for a period of 5-10 years there. So yeah, he should be HOF for sure.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Saw 400 new posts on N/V

"Oh great Harper or Machado signed early!"

Nope...

I do think its funny all the arguing with the subject matter expert, even if he is saying stuff that is offensive/non-woke.

Kinda like if Donaldson started posting in here about the best way to load up your hips for a swing and half the goons were all "ACTUALLY MR DONALDSON the power is generated in the arms"

That being said I won't be surprised if she wins her case and I hope she gets a fuckload of money.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Am I being too pessimistic in that I am pretty certain some team is going to pickup russell and have him start 100+ games at SS this year?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd literally stop going to Jays game, stop buying merchandise, renounce my fandom, etc etc if they took on a guy like that. Its one thing to be someone who acted like a ignorant rear end in a top hat like Hader or Murphy, but to keep employing someone who was actually assaulting his spouse... I can't accept that ever.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah, we should just keep supporting the teams that employ domestic abusers.

:thunk:

GalacticAcid posted:

At the bar screaming at my friends to stop dancing when Ignition (Remix) plays,

This but unironically.

GalacticAcid posted:

Is there room on your front lawn for us to build a statue of you?

:rolleyes: How dare I share my view of not wanting to support a team if they hire domestic abusers on this comedy forum

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Blue Jays' Shapiro "Our payroll will rise once the foundation arrives"

Aka "We are going to be cheap as gently caress for quite a while, hope you still come to the games"

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/shapiro-blue-jays-payroll-will-rise-foundation-arrives/

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait has Shapiro not seen what their top prospects are doing in AAA?

Im half convinced they are going to wait till Vlad Jr is 25 till he has his rookie season in order to min/max his years producing in the bigs. I'm not even being facetious. Dont want to risk having two years of his control at 21-22 rather than 28-29.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I believe in Vlad Jr.

How cool would it be if Vladdy JR was actually better than his dad. Has that ever happened in pro sports?

edit: I'm dumb. Ken Griffey Jr, Peyton Manning, etc

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im pretty sures its actually like a 5 to 1 ratio of sons being better than their fathers. Im having trouble even thinking of a son that was worse.

"Worse Dads"
Archie Manning
Tie Domi
Bonds Sr
Ken Griffey
Lavar Ball

etc etc etc

Who is a better father at their game?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Prince Fielder was extremely good and put up three top 5 MVP seasons before his neck broke. He also played 158+ games for 8 straight seasons.

I was gonna say, if MLB GM's could guarantee their #1 prospect every 5 or 10 years would have a Prince Fielder career, they would take it 100% of the time.

Prospects are such a crap shoot.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For some reason in my head I kept thinking this off season that Jerry Howarth was coming back after taking a year off for his voice to recover. But he isn't.

So sad. Going to listen to some 2016 jays radio broadcasts. He was really one of the two best in the business.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hand Knit posted:

I see you've forgotten the Jamie Campbell years.

Not exactly broadcasting but terrible post game commentary by noted shithead gregg zaun too

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jit bull transpile posted:

I'm a woman and you seem obsessed with sniping at my posts. Where did you come from?

Congrats on being a woman posting in the MLB thread I guess? Why does that matter

Also the brewers are not going to make the playoffs in 2019. Neither will the jays though.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are we supposed to have some kind of handwritten list of what each poster's gender is? I don't know how you could guess either way from peoples online wacky usernames and avatars.Its not crazy to assume a poster in the mlb thread is a dude. I'm sure the comment wasn't made maliciously.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wish the jays were in on Paxton

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Jays are going to be cheap and suck for a few years so why would they do that?

I'd like to have a good pitcher to watch while we suck? If we could have just got him for cash, I'd say go for it.

I want a "BIG MAPLE" shirtsey

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are we doing a "who would we vote in for the hall ?" thread this year? This ballot is getting mighty full

Bonds, Clemens, Halladay, Edgar, Mussina, Rivera, Walker, Schilling, Rolen, Ramirez, Sosa, Andruw

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone that purposefully bothers another man while he is taking a poo poo is a hosed up individual. I think this explains Felix's recently downfall as a result of karma.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vernacular posted:

Yeah I don't get that trade at all, especially why anybody would want Wil Myers.

I knew he used to be a hot-poo poo prospect, but at this point isn't he not even worth his contract?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Angry Grimace posted:

The AAV on his deal is like 15M and he’s 27 and can hit when he actually plays. He’s not Hosmer-level overpaid.

The guy hit .250 with only like 11 dingers last year and he only has played full time in 2 of his MLB seasons. And he gets paid 22.5M in 2020 and on.

Thats pretty bad. Like most teams 3rd outfielder and getting paid ace money. He's not even a top 25 outfielder. If he qualified for batting stats, he had around the 35th highest ops for a OF. He had a lower OPS than powerhouses like Curtis "old as gently caress" Granderson. His contract would be really bad if he stayed healthy and played 140+ games for the next five years, but it will be totally terrible if he maintains the same amount of lost games he already has, missing about 1/3 to 1/2 a season most years.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 21, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What really happened to Dexter Fowler in 2018? Bad funk to start and psyched himself out of getting through it? Extremely bad luck? Bad luck followed by trying too hard after?

Can he return to form in 2019? Can he be atleast a replacement level player? Would he have a better chance if he was on a new team?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wil Myers is going to end up like a much younger Vernon Wells post-blue jays career.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
- Its totally human and expected for many people to try anything that can to get an edge at such a competitive thing like professional baseball. Its hard to blame a guy for taking PEDs to try and be good enough to stay in the majors or to get a bigger contract, or even to heal faster from a bad injury
- Its also a lovely thing to do to take PEDs as you put the rest of the legit players of the league at a disadvantage and from a labour perspective make the workplace more dangerous by proxy
- But regardless of the morals of PED use, the best players of each generation should be in the Hall, regardless of their moral failings. If we took away all the bad men out of the Hall, we would be left with about 6 infielders and a relief pitcher.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Do people forget how amazing good Donaldson is when he's healthy? A one year deal for a guy who could put up an MVP season is amazing and good.

Man I miss AA.

That is a great deal for the Braves. I thought they'd have to pay a bit more premium for a 1 year deal.

Suprised he didn't hold out for 3/50 or something from someone but he is betting on himself I guess and hopes he has a top 10 or 20 hitter season and can sign next year for 4/100 or 80.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mcmagic posted:

If they didn't make that dumb signing of CC they could've gotten Corbin (who should be a given) and Bumgarner/Bauer.

The tough thing about the yanks signing CC is that a MLB team only ever uses exactly 5 starting pitchers each season, and there is no reason for them to prepare to need a 6th or 7th or 8th.

Also this was 3 pages ago and I realize from all your other posts about MadBum you are either trolling or imagine trades still work like in MVP baseball 2005.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bawfuls posted:

lol if you don't think Bumgarner will get into the Hall of Fame some day as this generation's Jack Morris

Hes bizarro Jack Morris because MadBum had one of the best postseasons of his generation for a starting pitcher and Morris was hot garbage in the playoffs for the Jays.

Also Morris has a career ERA that sounds more like JA Happ then some kind of hall of famer. 3.90. WHIP of almost 1.3 . Madbum has almost a full ERA point less for his career.

Madbum is great and team near contending should try and trade for him. But he isn't worth that much considering he has only been able to stay on the diamond for 26 quality starts since 2017, if the Giants get a top 100 prospect for him they will have done very well.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 27, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My bet the Donaldson camp got some offers like 2/30 or 40 million combined, with team options on the 2nd year. A lot better to bet on himself for the 1 year.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 28, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He's still probably one of the top 20 game calling catchers in the world. And the Jays will offer to eat like 15 million of his contract I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tadashi posted:

Nevermind... math is hard

I was trying to find the WAR/$ for veteran 2nd basemen (beyond 6 years of service) with at least 2 WAR last year and it actually came out to $4MM per WAR. That means Cano would need to be worth 6 WAR per season to be "worth" his salary.

I don't really agree with that thinking. When you sign guys like Cano, you are signing for the stability that they should be worth something like 3-6 WAR per season. That premium is to avoid the lottery with someone like Starlin Castro who might be "worth" their money but they're never going to give you that 6 WAR season you need from your better players in order to get to the playoffs.

That number seems super low for $MM per WAR for a free agent.

I think the rule of thumb is 10-12 $MM per WAR is good