Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good! I'm sick of people not hiring her. I hope she gets the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

In general I agree, but Kershaw obviously saw what happened in last year's free agent market, and with teams that have more money than God like the Cubs doing salary dumps and saying they don't plan on doing much, maybe he figured he wasn't going to beat what the Dodgers were offering. Bird in the hand beating two in the bush and all that.

I'd be really mad if I was a pitcher right now and saw that the best pitcher in a generation only received an additional one year on his contract.

This looks bad for a lot of players currently available on the market.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bill James is just saying out loud what he hears from owners. The fix is in. Get ready for a huge, nasty labor walkout because guys like Harper and Machado aren't getting gently caress-all for their labor, and the guys beneath them are going to get even less.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pancakes posted:

MLB All Stars won their exhibition game 9-6.

Yadi's batting 1.000 :smug:

The pitchers overusing the rosin bag was great. It looked like they were throwing dust.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Pussy Boss posted:

Funny how a year ago, everyone said the 2018/19 free agency class would be the best ever. Then Josh Donaldson got hurt, Kershaw and Price didn't opt out, Harper hit .250, Machado reminded everyone that he's an rear end in a top hat, Andrew Miller got hurt, Britton got hurt, Pollock got hurt again, Cutch was just OK... Also Grandal and Kimbrel both had a bad week at the worst possible time.

It's still a better group than last year's FAs but not quite as epic as we thought.

There are going to be so many bargains in the market.

It will be awesome for all three teams that are buyers.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whoa the Mariners :stare:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fox broadcasting the World Series is probably the biggest detriment to the sport's long-term health.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Samurai Japan has some good players on it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
MLB needs to ban teams from red, white, and blue color schemes.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bryce Harper signing with the A's is the Chaosworld I want to live in.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's why I only get a Cash Considerations Orioles jersey. He gets traded every season and he's still on the O's.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
McGwire and Sosa should both be in the Hall on narrative alone. The home run record chase was fun to watch.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Love the passive voice there excusing bribery. You see we were just asked to attend and pay money to this politician.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Pussy Boss posted:

Hmmmmm so this is "rebuilding"? Apparently, it involves other teams fans picking apart your best players, and saying how poo poo they are? And that they're not worth any good prospects, and frankly, we'd be lucky just if the Yankees just took them off our hands in a salary dump? Seems bad tbqh, like there should be a rule against this maybe???

Yes it is. I fondly remember everyone on the internet talking about how lovely JD Martinez and Justin Verlander were.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

How are they going to mow the grass on that roof?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Taint posted:

Probably with a lawnmower?

It looks really steep.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

kensei posted:

I might need a new avatar

Nah man you're the Winking Ichiro Avatar poster from SAS.

I need a new avatar :(

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

mikeraskol posted:

How is this the trade for Goldschmidt? Because he's a FA in 2020? I don't get this.

Baseball front offices make no sense to me. I think it's because everyone in the Hivemind goes to bed before the Diamondbacks play.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not Peak Cardinals until they somehow acquire Trevor Bauer

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/gbaumgaertner/status/1070395580025880584
If you want to listen:
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=25459152

He is super candid about everything and holds nothing back.

The Barry Bonds story is awesome.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Astros FO, perusing a rotation that lacks McCullers, Keuchel, and Morton, with Cole and Verlander FAs after 2019:
:tif::tif::tif::tif::tif:

Verlander is pitching until he's 45 it's okay just re-up him for $20MM per.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:lol: loving the Red Sox on three weeks in a row. Enjoy getting to your hotel room at 5am on Monday.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

uhhhh

If you're gonna give a big deal to a sorta washed OF, Brantley or Pollock would be ideal

Da gently caress

I'd take McCutchen over those two.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Cutch was better than I thought he was last year, but he's already started his decline phase. Brantley and Pollock issues are injuries than age

Phills can stick Cutch in LF, but they have to be out on Harper then unless they can trade Nick Williams for something

Yeah the defense isn't there anymore, I think it might have been better for him to sign with an AL team that way he can DH to keep his legs fresh. Those years of Pittsburgh keeping him in CF were brutal on the knees.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
McCutchen is worth every penny.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1072905168222633984

"more of a talk-show format" on the gameday radio broadcast lol?

Side note, I love Neverett as an announcer. Would love to see him return to Pittsburgh and replace Greg Brown, but alas, it is not to be.

I hate if this is the trend among broadcasts. I can't stand 3 people in a booth yucking it up and talking about their tweets and all sorts of other stupid bullshit, and a lot of broadcasts are moving in that direction.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
News of big name FA signings have been replaced with news about potential ways to coerce big name FA signings.

I listened to MLB radio on two car rides last night and all I heard were hot takes about making deadlines to sign players.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoatSeeGuy posted:

We all know the Red Sox blew past the luxury tax threshold this year, now we know the price they paid as scofflaws.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/12/15/apnewsbreak-champion-red-sox-owe-nearly-12m-in-luxury-tax/38742215/

12 million bucks and now pick 43rd in the draft instead of 33rd- All time WAR leaders from that slot? Mike Gallego and Dave Burba. That's the holdup that's brought the last couple, and seemingly all future offseasons, to a halt. We joke that spending money is the new market inefficiency but it's true. Teams talk about all their constraints, budgets, and the like but never that the cost of this the most serious of infractions turns out to be the price of a questionable 5th starter and a drop in your draft pool.

Nobody associated with MLB or the union would ever label the tax a soft cap but turns out it's really really soft after all. I know the penalties escalate for frequent fliers but if you're one of the top 10-15 teams in MLB, compare 12 million bucks (plus, you know, the added payroll) to meaningful late season games, playoff hunt/run, merchandise, present and future ticket sales and the like and it seems like an easy decision. Most fanbases would see it as a no-brainer, and that's the part of the offseason that bugs me most. By this metric the Red Sox were the only team to go "All in" last year (Nats went a tiny bit in) and it showed with 108 wins followed by some rings that will end up costing more than the penalty.

Teams are almost universally deciding to intentionally not maximize or lengthen their windows, and we're talking about mound visits as a threat to the popularity of the sport.

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know they also lost a slot in the draft.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Puig wearing red. :getin: :ussr:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now I can get that Puig shirsey I've always wanted but never been able to purchase because I dislike the Doyers.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Graphic design is a passion of mine.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Puig and Vin Scully were the only reasons to watch the Dodgers.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bawfuls posted:

The Dodgers gave up:

-an above-average corner OF who's contract was under-market, with no long term risk because he had 1 year left
-an above-average starting pitcher, also on an under-market deal with minimal long term risk
-an old and busted OF owed a bunch of money

in exchange they got:

-salary relief
-2 prospects that are not particularly inspiring and are several years away

For a team that is trying to win NOW and has more financial resources than anyone aside from the Yankees, that's a loving stupid deal.

I need to go do something else and stop posting, sorry

Yeah the Dodgers need to buy Harper or else this trade is really dumb for them.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1076321101339389952

Cincy getting lots of new friends.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My advice for AT&T Park is to get the garlic fries

Have you had the crab sandwich? They show it every now and then when CSN Bay Area comes back from a commercial break, there's a worker just slathering butter on a roll and throwing crab meat on it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The best concessions at Wrigley are in the bleachers. It's one of two places in the city where you can still get Hot Doug's sausage, there are beers and ciders you can't get in the rest of the park, and my personal favorite is what I dubbed the meat tornado, which is BBQ pulled pork with macaroni and cheese mixed into a bread cone.

Now that sounds like a meal worthy of 1860 calories.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I wouldn't vote in Mo so that some other guys do not drop off the ballot. It's a crowded field.

Also bawfuls I love your avatar still I am sad you're going to change it :(

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bawfuls posted:

Maybe I won’t idk

His expression in that pic is perfect, but eventually I will get tired of not having a Dodger in that spot

I'm a Tigers fan and I have a bad photoshop of Barry Bonds as a Padre as my avatar.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
A team needing a DH really needs to overpay for Nicholas Castellanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

Wrong thread posting is way funnier when it’s an SAS post going in c-spam than vice versa

Although posts about baseball ownership can usually comfortably fit both here and the guillotine.txt thread

I notice a ton of cspam/baseball goon posters and I think it's great. When the players union strikes there will need to be a new subforum.

Oh my god this is as good as that instruction to players to stop cursing.