Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sydin posted:

There's only one player in the sport right now who I would believe could reliably play up to a $40M AAV for the better part of the next ten years, and that's Trout. Even then though, you run into the Angels' problem where you're paying Trout so goddamn much you've lost a lot of the financial flexibility required to build a team around him.

The rumor is Harper considers bidding to start at 10/350, which yikes.

That rumor was a made up number out of thin air from a guy on a Yankees fanblog, which then got picked up by some B-tier website that reported it as a fact. It's literally fake news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I'm onboard for Bryce to the Yankees to play 1B.

Yeah I’m shocked a Yankees fan would love to sign Bryce Harper to play a position he has literally never played. Let me guess: also sign Machado at the same time and then trade Miguel Andujar (who is definitely winning Rookie of the Year) for Corey Kluber straight up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sydin posted:

He definitely wants opt outs though. So far he's been unable to repeat his 2015 campaign but if he puts up another 10 WAR season in a much weaker FA year he could potentially opt out for way more money.

There is no way any team is giving him player opt outs less than like 4 or 5 years in. It would be the dumbest move ever.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

iospace posted:

Friendly reminder: the last time a big 4 sports team folded was arguably 1979 when the World Hockey Association (which brought us a bunch of NHL teams) merged with the NHL 1978 when the Cleveland Barons (NHL) folded. Money is not an issue, and like hell the league offices are going to let a team fold.

e: More accurate with the addition of the Barons. My point, however stands.

e2: Salary caps, whether hard or soft, are simply means to prevent ownership from spending, or in very rare cases, overspending. If the adage "to make money you have to spend money" is true, then in no other business is that more true than in professional sports. Salary caps are simply cheap outs for ownership to be cheap.

There isn’t realistically enough money in baseball for every team to spend 200 million just based on the value of existing TV contracts and such. I don’t know how you could argue that without specifically having access to financials.

Besides the CBT is like $206,000,000. The average salary on that roster makes like $8,300,000.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 9, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Popete posted:

I think Theo was just being pedantic. Of course there is no such thing as an untouchable player. If you offered Trout for Bryant straight up every GM in the league would take that. But that's likely never going to happen so "it's hard to envision a deal that would move Bryant/Rizzo".

Yeah, but I got amusement out of Padres Twitter rushing to explain which ones of our prospects they wouldn't trade for Kris Bryant.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

IIRC people made the same arguments in 2001, but it was more half-hearted then because Ichiro won MVP too, lol.

gently caress. If these allegations are true, and it seems like they probably are, the M's really do need to clean house. Remember, they already had a bunch of old sexual harassment allegations come to light this year. They promised those men had been dealt with, but the culture is still toxic. The new owner has to be more hands on than Nintendo was. You're bottoming out anyway, take it all apart and get the organization right.

Why does it seem like they are?

It’s premised on Servais directly telling a Latina trainer that Latin players are too stupid to be managers with apparently no regard for his own job. That doesn’t seem very likely from a common sense standpoint.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bawfuls posted:

lol have you been in a coma for several years? Chuds just say the quiet part out loud now, all the time.

I'm an employment attorney who does sexual harassment cases for employees and nobody ever says that, much less a celebrity at a billion dollar company

JoeCL posted:

Racist people generally don't apply logic and forethought to being racist, and Lorena Martin has probably seriously endangered her own career. It seems very unlikely to me that somebody would wholesale makeup these sort of accusations.

Also their may finally be a resolution to the never ending MASN dispute between the Orioles/Nationals. In terms of actual baseball influence, the final resolution might make a difference in how the Nationals spend in free agency. Honestly kind of an indictment of how cheap some of the other teams are that the Nats have been such been spenders while having so much money tied up in the dispute.

People wholesale make up these accusations all of the time. I don't know where you got the idea people don't.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 13, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Yeah I keep coming back to this same thought. Is Angry Grimace... habitually gaslighting his own clients?

"Think you were sexually harassed at your job? You need ME, Angry Grimace, an attorney who will take your money and go through the motions, safe in the knowledge that you're probably just making it all up. These things are actually super rare, you probably didn't get harassed. Lighten up sweetheart."

It's more likely you just believe know more than an actual expert with lots of experience because you're simply incapable of deferring to someone, regardless of whether they know more than you. You don't have to have an opinion and judgment on literally everything just to stay woke, dude.

Besides, it doesn't matter. I know more than you about this, period, full stop. If you don't want to trust me then fine, just know you do nothing for anyone to make their lives better other than have judgmental opinions on the internet about things you don't know anything about, and I have spent years and years helping people with this kind of thing.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 13, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I have no doubt that people make entirely valid claims about lovely workplace racism/harassment/sexism. I also have no doubt that people make false claims of lovely workplace racism/harassment/sexism. It isn't 100% one way or the other every single time. It can be both.

It's literally my job to figure out the difference. Not doing that is called an ethical violation; you can't bring a claim that you have no reasonable basis to believe. But no, see, random guy with a Yasiel Puig avatar on the internet knows loving everything and I'm just a dumb evil rear end in a top hat who gaslights all of his clients even though that makes no loving sense.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Chill out, you made a weird rear end post that sounds to ~us laypeople~ like you are an advocate for people who you largely don't believe.

And your claim that wealthy people in positions of power just don't say blatantly offensive things these days because that'd be bad for business, flies in the face of what is easily visible to us plebes. This is what made you sound laughably out of touch to the rest of us.
Actually, I didn't, you just inferred that you just don't actually process the things you read because you're too busy climbing all over yourself to be the first to make a performance art of posting how woke you are. You don't know anything about this topic. I literally dedicated my career to helping people with improving working conditions and helping them vindicate such claims, what the gently caress have you done to call me out?

I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm saying the number of cases with direct evidence of racial discrimination such that a high level employee would make those kind of remarks to a rank and file employee are incredibly rare. That is not how workplace discrimination happens in the real world because the people in charge are generally rational actors. The alternative is that Servais and Dipoto are irrational actors.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 13, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Do you see how the "incredibly rare" thing sounds to us when we can, off the top of our heads, think of several high profile examples in the same industry within the past few years? Maybe you're hiding behind some legal weasel words, because "direct evidence of racial discrimination" is presumably a high bar to clear and it's no surprise imo that such evidence rarely finds it's way into a courtroom.

I just honestly can not fathom how someone alive in 2018 America can think, "I find these accusations of racism on the part of an executive/superior not credible, because that'd be bad for their business and they're rational people."
No, they're not credible because they're unsupported by any evidence. The bar for credibility doesn't change simply because you found three cases of racism in the industry in the last few years. Juries do not buy that at all.

Generally speaking, people who say directly racist comments like that aren't good enough to cover it up over the course of 30 year careers. Standing alone, it suggests Servais is racist, but never does anything racist openly except for when he is in the room with this one trainer and no other witnesses. An accusation of doing something wrong isn't the same thing as proof that they did something wrong without evidence.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Intruder posted:

Wait are you calling her "some trainer"? I've seen this strategy before. You sure you're not a lawyer for the other side you're claiming?

Gee, maybe I forgot the last 10 years of my life. What incentive do I have to lie about it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Intruder posted:

Minimizing the alleged victim as just some nobody sure seems like a great thing for their advocate to do

I'm not her advocate.

And despite the fact you're looking for so much meaning out of off-hand words, I said "this one trainer," not "some trainer," because I'm trying to specify that her allegation makes it sound as though the only time he ever did racist things was in front of her, and nobody else. She isn't a "nobody" she was literally the head trainer for the entire organization.

Intruder posted:

Minimizing the alleged victim as just some nobody sure seems like a great thing for their advocate to do

e: Your argument literally seems to be that Servais is probably innocent because he wouldn't risk his big important career to lord his power over some nobody who isn't important

Your argument seems to be that you know more than me because you read some stuff on the internet once. You don't.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 13, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JoeCL posted:

I guess if Angry Grimace doesn't think he could prove it in court with the currently available, likely incomplete, evidence it can't possibly be credible.

Also you still haven't answered why its irrational to act racist and ruin your career but not to make up racism and ruin your career.

Because it's a stupid question and I'm not going to.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Angry Grimace may have spent a very long career vigorously defending victims, but apparently has not learned in all that time how to read a room and convince them of an argument is what I'm getting here.

People on the internet dig their heels into literally anything they assert no matter where they obtained the pre-requisite knowledge to discuss the topic, so it's not worth typing out long rational responses that get pithy dismissals from people who literally don't understand the underlying topic. The problem here is that I was initially responding to someone that said "[i]f these allegations are true, and it seems like they probably are . . ." and I'm trying to explain there is no basis to say they are probably true. For a hearsay allegation to be probably true it generally should sound like a thing that would happen and line up with typical patterns and practices. There's no other evidence that Scott Servais routinely does and says racist things on the regular.

The part where people go "you literally gaslight your own clients" is just typical internet poo poo-slinging because everyone has to be right and show us how woke they are at all times.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

Just that someone couldn't possibly say something stupid to someone, because they risk their own job, is just so laughably unreal to me. This happens non stop every loving day. Every loving day.

The poison of the rational actor apparently just doesn't reside in Economics Theory.

You're confusing the difference between saying it "literally couldn't happen," and saying that there isn't enough support behind that allegation standing alone to say it's "probably true." Saying "why would she lie?" doesn't make sense because people actually do lie about that kind of thing all of the time.

Recall that the guy I initially responded to it was "probably true." I realize that point of distinction doesn't matter when you can jump all over a dude.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

I'll wait a couple weeks and see how it shakes out, since I don't work for the Mariners or know anyone who does.

Thank you for reading my contribution to the literature.

You won't ever find out. It's subject to binding arbitration, which is private by nature.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Intruder posted:

I think what set people off was more the statement that claims against employers are usually bullshit because they aren't going to risk their careers

I'm saying there's no reason to believe it's "probably true" (which it what the first guy I quoted said) if she doesn't have documentation or witnesses to support it. Completely out of character racist comments aren't impossible; they're just not a typical presentation that would lead someone to believe a claim of racism absent any other evidence.

Goodpancakes posted:

Your own basis of argument doesn't hold water because there is no demonstrable proof for either case. No one here is an expert on the behavior of either claimant in this case. The public isn't flooded with the vagaries of how either party conducts business. Your are just lawyering all over the place here and apparently can't see the sticking point you are being lambasted for. There is no evidence to fight over here.

Your point is confusing and as far as I can tell unrelated to the actual topic.

My point is simply that there's no reason to declare her allegation "probably true" when the only alleged acts are private conversations with no other witnesses. It does a disservice to simply accept a story as true without having a rational basis to do so.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 13, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JoeCL posted:

Well I am sure we'll all remember to submit our evidence to the court next time we post an opinion online, you broke-brained weirdo.

I don't even know what you have been talking about in any of your posts

bawfuls posted:

Goodpancakes point is (in part) that you don't know such behavior is "completely out of character," none of us do. Yet you are taking it as a given, even in this post. This is also why your reaction is so puzzling, coming from someone who's apparently an advocate for victims.

They are out of character in that there aren't other known pieces of evidence suggesting this is a typical pattern or practice. We're not talking about whether she will win. We're talking about whether we should declare her story "probably true." You're arguing against a phantom argument that the Mariners are probably innocent, when what I am arguing is that it's not right to pre-emptively declare them guilty.

I'm not saying they're right and she is wrong. I'm saying I have no specific reason to believe that she's more likely to be telling the truth than not, which is what the guy I originally quoted said.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 13, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Intruder posted:

I often require the same legal standards as a court of law when posting opinions on a wrongful termination suit in a dead sports forum

Also I have it on good authority that bawfuls is Bill Plaschke IRL and you don't wanna mess with him

It's not though. I'm simply asking why we should presume her allegation is "probably true."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bawfuls posted:

we told you why, and you came back at us with "how dare you, morons performing wokeness, question MY opinion on this???"

sorry Hand Knit i'll stop, i've got 27 one-sentence paragraphs to type about the Rams and their punk kid coach

Yeah and "because Donald Sterling" wasn't a very good answer.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 13, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JoeCL posted:

How about "because the United States is a nation with a long history of racism, that its institutions and organizations are often still deeply racist and that given the long history of people being destroyed for confronting that racism, it it seems very unlikely that somebody would make fraudulent claims of racism?"

Or do I have to cite precedent for you to give a poo poo about racism?

Arguing that the Mariners' management group is collectively racist without any evidence whatsoever to believe that allegation is a hosed up, irresponsible thing to do. "Literally any basis whatsoever" isn't a high bar to cross. Relying solely on "I believe any allegation of racism because there is generally a history of racism in the 250 year history of the United States" is beyond dumb.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Intruder posted:

you know what would help with all this

someone getting signed to a contract

*crickets*

Minor trades should happen by the end of the week since teams have to set their 40s by the 20th, but most sources say they don't expect anyone to sign until winter meetings and beyond.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JoeCL posted:

Saying online that you believe somebody is racist based on somebody saying that they are racist is apparently hosed up and irresponsible. Despite it being anonymous comments online. Okay. Whatever. There isn't really any point in arguing this any further you have made it abundantly clear what kind of person you are.

Uh, yes? You shouldn't just accuse people of being racist without any reason whatsoever to believe it. It's like the absolute minimum, lowest level bar possible.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Snitker wins Manager of the year

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1062485433895006208

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Feels like most of the awards left are foregone conclusions other than the weird question of whether voters are going to refuse to give DeGrom the NLCY because of wins (hint: they won't). Yelich just peaked at the right time to get that trophy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Intruder posted:

Much like Pujols, Soto is probably 5-7 years older than we think

It's just man growth, man.

Also, re: NL manager of the year - Atlanta's Brian Snitker gets 17 first-place votes, Brewers Craig Counsell is second with 11 first place votes. Snitker won a close vote 116-99 over Counsell.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Snitker has the shiniest head.

Also, Melvin wins the AL award:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1062494169585860610

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Cora not winning is Bullllllllshit imo

Eh, this is usually the award that goes to the dude on the scrappiest team, so I'm not even sort of surprised.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I feel bad for our prospects that have to go play in Amarillo. It's the middle of nowhere and at elevation, so the pitchers are going to give up fat bombs just like they do in El Paso.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

150+ missed posts and the Yankees didn't even sign anyone? SMDH.

You'd think it would be a force of habit by now.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 14, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Theo's actual quote is that he can't imagine a scenario where they trade KB and somehow the sports media has spent two weeks reporting that Theo wants to trade KB. It's honestly amazing.

It's because he basically said he would consider any trade proposal that would cross his desk.

This equals Kris Bryant is for trade to the media that has no actual news to report.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

The cable networks with broadcast rights to half the teams in baseball are up for sale, again:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1062531815372541953

Is there a kickstarter? :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

zapplez posted:

Am I being too pessimistic in that I am pretty certain some team is going to pickup russell and have him start 100+ games at SS this year?

Sure, it's not entirely impossible the Cubs keep Russell, even. As far as I recall, nobody has actually been run out of the league for this poo poo yet. Steven Wright, Aroldis Chapman and Antonio Osuna, Jeurys Familia and Jose Reyes all played a bunch last year and only Osuna seemed to actually be in any hot water with crowds.

Hell, the players even nominated Jose Reyes to be Upstanding Guy of the Year.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If the Cubs actually do non-tender him there's like a 100% chance some team just picks him up because they're willing to eat the PR hit. If someone who employs Verlander (who is pretty outspoken) is willing to trade for Osuna in the middle of the season, then I have to imagine there's plenty of teams that would love to get a free shortstop even if he's evil.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Which underwhelming FA signing will the Cards hang their hat on this offseason?

I realize he isn't available but is there a player whose name screams "St. Louis Cardinals" more than Scooter Gennett

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Blake Snell has won the AL Cy Young Award.

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1062848257942970368

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Save your shirts:

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/1062854976630865921

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

i'm pretty legit stunned

He had an ERA of like 1.70 and the entirety of his competition was also "NL East pitchers on disappointing teams" so it's not that surprising to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait has Shapiro not seen what their top prospects are doing in AAA?

He’ll check it out in late April