Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

Pat Corbin is good but it blows my mind that hes the best pitcher in free agency. Who saw that coming a year ago? He was a pretty good prospect and dominated at times in his early years in Arizona, but he was never an elite strikeout pitcher until this year when he added the second breaking ball. I think he's legit but there's plenty of risk in throwing a bunch of money at him. You're betting that the 2018 version is who he is now.

Not really. Corbin pitched like a legit ace this year and most projections have him getting something like 5 years, $100M. He could regress and earn his money, or he could remain great and be a huge steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

Funny how a year ago, everyone said the 2018/19 free agency class would be the best ever. Then Josh Donaldson got hurt, Kershaw and Price didn't opt out, Harper hit .250, Machado reminded everyone that he's an rear end in a top hat, Andrew Miller got hurt, Britton got hurt, Pollock got hurt again, Cutch was just OK... Also Grandal and Kimbrel both had a bad week at the worst possible time.

It's still a better group than last year's FAs but not quite as epic as we thought.

Harper and Machado are still going to get $300 million.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The idea that Ohtani isn't really a rookie falls apart when you consider that the NBP is a step below MLB. It's like saying Vlad, Jr. won't deserve the award next year because he destroyed the PCL.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MrChips posted:

Hopefully Vlad will have learned to put the fork down between now and then. If the Large Baseball Son keeps getting bigger like he is, he's gonna end up like Prince Fielder.

Prince Fielder was pretty good and hit like 200 home runs before free agency.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's been stories about Myers' effort level the whole time he's been in San Diego, from saying Shields needed to tell him what to do up through complaining about practice on Fortnite, but maybe getting Starlin Castro'd by the Padres will snap him out of it.

Dipo could read out all the terrible responses the mere rumors have received to help light a fire under him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

That's kind of what I'm saying though. He sometimes does that, but then the year before that he played the whole season and was a 1.0 WAR player. I'm not saying he's literally a replacement level utility guy or anything, but he's inconsistent, which is the hallmark of the vast majority of players in the league who aren't great.

His contract isn't exactly an albatross, but he never puts it together enough.

He's pretty consistent offensively though, just not good enough to play a corner position. Maybe someone should try him one more time in center.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

fawning deference posted:

His bat should get him in but Williams notes that he is an historically bad defensive player and that puts him below guys like Walker and Helton.

This is pretty ironic reasoning considering that Edgar's finally going to make it this year.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

N:

https://twitter.com/Think_BlueLA/status/1067927125796171776

V: nooooo take Joc instead please i don't care about the years and youth, just don't touch my mans from Cienfuegos

(but on paper this would be a steal for LA imo)

Isn't Puig a free agent after next season? And Cleveland's going to trade a perennial Cy Young candidate for him? I thought Cleveland was smart.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

It was an overpay, but as far as WAR per dollars go it's been a pretty defensible deal. The team was always going to eat value on the back end, but they saw it as necessary to make Seattle a serious destination for free agents. They had too many years of Chone Figgins type players, nobody wanted to sign there. I doubt Nelson Cruz would have signed on without Cano.

Doesn't seem to matter now. They gave it a shot and the result was jack squat, same as every year since Gillick left.

It's what Boras called "Prestige Value" when he sold Hosmer to the Padres.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Santana's still pretty good, despite the hit job the Philadelphia media put out on him. Seattle should be able to flip him for something at 2 years and $35M.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

will_colorado posted:

I would like for my professional baseball team to acquire 1: Mitch Haniger

The Haniger situation is going to play out like Yelich did last year.

December: "We'll trade everyone but our good young outfielder!"

January: (Gives good your outfielder away)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Vernacular posted:

Being amped for the winter meetings made me wonder if fans ever, like, tailgate outside the hotel where they're held with signs and team gear rooting on their GM/president of baseball ops of choice for comedy's sake.

It would be completely absurd on one level, but also kinda fitting given how invested fans get with year-round roster construction in the digital age.

People always ask the Fangraphs writers about going to the different offseason meetings and they always respond that it's pretty boring unless you like watching a bunch of old guys looking at their phones.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Harold Baines gets in before Albert Belle and Edgar Martinez?

Baines and Edgar will almost assuredly get in at the same time.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Your Taint posted:

How did a Cleveland team with Belle/Manny/Thome 3-4-5 (not necessarily in that order) not win a WS jfc?

This but the Mariners with Griffey, A-Rod, Johnson and Edgar except they never even made it out of the ALDS.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

All the stuff about his lack of experience killing him in Kansas City is interesting because they said the same thing about Hinch in Arizona and look at him now.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
To be fair, the whole conversation was about how players are shooting to take advantage of the arbitration system because they're going to get screwed as free agents.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Dan Szymborski had a weird Twitter thread about how owners won't be "shamed" into spending more and the numbers say they're in the right, and then ended it with this:

https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/1083978734649163778

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

Bregman needs to go through with that idea of having a gaming channel on the side he talked about forever ago because I'd legit watch it

As long as Wil Myers can make a guest appearance.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

On the one hand I am a life long NL fan and hatred of the DH is engraved into my soul.

Is this a thing? Do they hand out anti-DH propaganda in NL parks? Or is it just all the fond memories of getting an early jump on the bathroom line when a pitcher's up with two outs?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Goddammit Trout you are legitimately on pace to make the list of the top ten best players in the game of all time, and I do not want you loving legacy to be tarnished by old white men yelling about your lack of ~rings~ because you spent your entire career having your talent wasted by the Angels. Pull a loving LeBron and go find a nice Anaheim YMCA to tell all the kids that you're leaving to a team that will actually get you to the loving postseason, load yourself up with rings, and then spend your twilight years wherever the gently caress you want.

Counterpoint: Pujols is gone in three years, Trout already has a proper co-pilot in Ohtani, the Angels' farm is getting good again and they can handle a top 5 payroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

"I'll hang up and listen."