Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
my untrained eye suggests that kershaw tends to throw bad pitches at bad times in the playoffs.

there's a word for this, starts with c, rhymes with much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i love everything about this article about bats and chopsticks

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I used to skate occasionally with AHL players the prospect of getting called up to the show was just about all consuming for those guys. You went from earning a decent middle-class salary to a giant upper-class salary literally overnight, not to mention no longer having to ride the bus.

Imagine if you have to be better than 30 or so other guys in your office , All of whom are almost the best at what they do, but not quite THE best, and if you can be that fraction of a percent better, you earn 10 times the money

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
salvy!

Gordon....?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is Salvy's season the worst ever in which a player won both a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger?

this poo poo is cracking me up though salvy owns

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
all accusations of bigotry or sexual harassment/misconduct should be taken seriously but the accused should not be presumed guilty

(puts on helmet)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
semi related but apparently Patrick Mahomes is the most gifted person ever at throwing things

he shoulda chose baseball like his dad did

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
bored already huh

lets play IDENTIFY THAT PLAYER BY HIS STATS

first, an easy one

harder, but still pretty easy

for late 90s fantasy players only

and finally, a hard one:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man you guys got all those quick, i'm impressed

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we should pick one random guy from that list and start a multi-pronged media campaign to get him elected. we'll use incredibly obscure advanced stats to prove his merits as a hall of fame caliber player, and anyone who tries to disagree with us, we'll shout them down with a combination of smarmy condescending "old boys club" rhetoric and indecipherable charts.

on first glance the ideal candidate for us to rally behind is darren oliver

he led the league in looking like eddie murphy every year from 1995 to 2009

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
lets play ID THE STATS again. this time it is harder, as I have included less information.

but first, an easy one:

this guy was more obscure, so you get years and teams

nothing but numbers here

and here

and finally, one you might need to use some historical context

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Paxton is one of those guys who will either win a cy young or have his arm fall off in the next three years

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man I remember thinking Beltre was dun-zo after 2009.

...he went on to hit 277 more home runs and win 3 more gold gloves with an OPS+ of 130

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pancakes posted:

Where do we think Beltre ranks all-time among third basemen? 2nd behind Schmidt?

boggs and brett were better

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you retards legit made me laugh with that stupid joke

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Man in our OOTP game getting rid of Myers contract was a multi year misadventure involving several trades and threats and bribes. The hell, Mariners.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
can someone explain why baseball gave the racist confederate lady money? i dont get it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so as part of a shotgun blast of bribes to politicians of all stripes, with a goal of keeping minor league players impoverished, MLB coincidentally and or accidentaly gave financial support to a lady who the day before had been cheerleading lynching

this is the most american thing baseball has ever done

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
madisum bumgerner has a minus name, and his ears are big

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
distill everything I need to know about a baseball player into a single digit rating between 1 and 7, 1 being the worst, 7 being the best. That way when a 3 comes up I can be like this guy sucks, but when a 6 comes up i'll know the guy can rake

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'll also need the players political affiliation and voting history

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i actually kind of enjoyed reading that 10 page blow up about domestic abuse etc

it was actually pretty thoughtful and was a nice respite from my entire city bleating about Kareem Hunt's Bad Day nonstop for the last 3 days

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man "versatile" is almost a pejorative in baseball, glad we snapped up that guy

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

Spending money is the new market inefficiency.

i feel like there's a lot to unpack in this statement but I'm not smart enough to do it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i went to high school with tommoy hottovy

it is weird i'm old enough to now have my peers as coaches of major sports teams

that's pretty bad rear end for him though, he was an amazing pitcher back in the day. he's also wicked smart and probably has a lot of good Baseball ideas.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
in 2001 a 103 year old harold baines got 94 PAs and slashed 131/202/143

what is the worst ever slash line for base ball player paid only to hit

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

I love Billy but this seems like a lot for a person who was arguably not a positive player last year at all.

perhaps you do not know what speed do

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i had the same surgery back in june. i'm playing hockey and running again, but it is still sore.

feel free to use this information when evaluating buster posey

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

resident posted:

This reminds me of the alloy bat arms race in Little League where Easton & Louisville Slugger leapfrogged each other from -9 to -12 or 13 over 3 or 4 seasons. As an adult, I now realize this probably ended after some poor 10 year old pitcher got destroyed by a line drive. :smith:

jesus christ what? what does a 33 inch/20 oz bat even feel like?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i feel like andujar <<<<<<< syndergaard, is this a correct viewpoint?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
adam ottavino has some hot takes

I dunno, i think cir 1927 babe ruth would probably play in like 100 games or so and slash like 225/350/500 and there would be a lot of good coverage about his lifestyle. he'd probably also get a twitter and post some bad stuff on it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
andrew mccutchen is better than harold baines

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
while there are indeed significant differences between the two,

Player 1:
249/393/496, 1.3 bWAR

Player 2:
255/368/424, 2.7 bWAR

Player 2 age 32-35 for 15-16 mil a year vs player 1 age 25-35 at 30m+ kind of seems like a bargain

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
do you think charlie morton laments the fact he'd be a hall of famer if he hadn't spent 10 years of his major league career trying and failing to be a sinkerballer

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

When will we get another big fat closer who looks like a trucker ala Bob Wickman

whats peter moylan doing

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
robbb nennn somehow or other did a short jig during his delivery

dan quisenberry threw underhand

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man Greinke has had one hell of a career

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm a slave too

dude just telling it how it is

rich white men shall not be forgot

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

People poo poo on Harper all the time and I've yet to hear a good reason for it. A friend recently brought up how he got in a fight in the dug out as a point against him and then I pointed out it was actually very cool cause Papelbon is an idiot.

He seems like a genuinely good dude despite coming off as kind of a bro. I'm just kind of shocked and disappointed at how unexciting a major league player he's become, especially considering how absurdly talented he is.

In related news I was cracking up loudly watching this collection of Harper anti web gems.

some of that poo poo is plain inexcusable

I know I've been spoiled for a while getting to watch the likes of Lorenzo Cain and Alex Gordon in the field but good god there's no way I'm paying that guy a quarter billion dollars unless he's a lock to put up Ted Williams numbers or something.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I liked this article about overvaluing prospects

we joke about how spending money on veteran players is the new moneyball but it really kinda is