Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Well Played Mauer posted:

Things I'd like to see the Yanks do, outside of major FA acquisitions:

Resign Walker. Can play second until Didi gets back, and is fallback if Beefy Lad AL regresses.

Hell no. Walker could have probably been fine if he played every day last year, but we saw what happened when he didn't, and he won't play every day in 2019 either. If the Yankees can't beat his numbers with an internal option they're hosed.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHr8NxA8raw

The bad lip reading guy did one of the MLB

Oh my God the ending one is amazing.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Your logic confuses me. I mostly agree that he's preferable as a starter than a utility guy but I thought the idea was that with DiDi gone he WOULD be the 2B starter with Torres moving to SS?

If nothing else I rather do that then go for Machado. Which is what I'm most "afraid" of this winter.

Oh, yeah I guess I assume they're going to keep Torres at 2B and plug SS rather than move him and plug 2B, which is probably dumb because a good SS is harder to find.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

It's slowly dawning on me that there is no more baseball and it is poo poo.

How do people who follow the NFL religiously go 40 weeks out of the year with nothing to watch?

They run and read about mock drafts every 3 hours starting the day after the Super Bowl.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

It is day 1 of the offseason, what kind of fan isn't huggin the poo poo out of prospects and projecting their decent AA lines into surefire MLB All-Stars the next year?

Ah, the ol' Loaisiga.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe they’re confident he’ll re-sign and at a higher contract than the $17.9 million

They'd have to think he'll sign for less than the QO if they're not offering him one. Which I could see.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1057304516712914944

Angels gonna have some wicked spin rates next year.

Astros pitching coaches/staff gonna get so paid as soon as their contracts end.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Something like a full point of Kershaw's ERA is due to his replacement letting all of his inherited runners score, even before Madson's epic shittery this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I'm sure it's also in his head a bit, and really how could it not be? He's been to the post season eight times, is one of the best pitchers of his generation on one of the best and richest teams in baseball, and he's got mediocre performance and no rings to show for it. Every time he gets back there the narrative immediately becomes "can Kershaw not suck in the postseason this year????" You'd have to be a goddamn enlightened monk to not have a chip on your shoulder and get a little too psyched up to be perfect and shut those fuckers up forever.

After Game 7 last year he said "Maybe one of these days I won’t fail" in a post-game interview which is some seriously :smith: stuff.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

my untrained eye suggests that kershaw tends to throw bad pitches at bad times in the playoffs.

there's a word for this, starts with c, rhymes with much

What does Andrew McCutchen have to do with any of this?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't really give a poo poo about Marlins Man either way, he's just a dude who buys nice seats for a lot of games.

His self-aggrandizing poo poo about being a philanthropist and whatever is hilariously dumb though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1057430507221217280

Bill wrote a real solid article here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Earlier this year there was a spate of reporters complaining about how they preferred the games to end earlier because of their filing deadlines and it was the most tone-deaf, unrelatable complaint possible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Paging Elon Musk.

How will it help to have a guy show up, take a bunch of taxpayer money and then tweet about how Dinger is a pedo?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

I thought the Yankees were gonna let Gardner walk.... Surprised he's back.

Given what happened to the OF depth this season I'm not surprised they brought him back at all, especially for that much money.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Extra extra, read all about it! Yankees re-sign Gardner to cheap 1-yr deal, confirm they're out on Harper!

Popete posted:

idk this Chicago Tribune article makes a pretty good argument.

I was unaware the Chicago Tribune had become the St. Louis Tribune :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

He should hand out his bats, we all know they're full of magic.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I vastly prefer Harper's brand of dickishness to the type of poo poo Machado did in the playoffs but whatever, I'll take either/both.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/Athletics/status/1057755288298708992

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's an incredibly relaxing video to watch for me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

Three hours until Clayton Kershaw opts out and signs with the Yankees. Can't wait.

Kershaw, Corbin, CC, Happ, Gumby back midseason...Do The Yankees Have Too Many LHP? My column:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

Not sure why you guys are talking about ancient baseball history when free agency starts today?

The Cubsposting never stops, you know this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Indians didn't offer a QO to anybody, which I understand for their pitchers but I feel like Brantley was worth the offer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Indians looking to make sure no team in the AL Central has a record above .500 next year.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1058421239704887299

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If they flame out in the ALDS again next year, my guess is they'll gut the team further and just keep stringing Kluber and Lindor along before entering full rebuild mode in 2022.

The Tweet is oddly worded but implies that Lindor and Ramirez are the only guys not on the block right now.

mcmagic posted:

Yankees should be all over Kluber and Carrasco. They have the prospects to do it.

One million percent agreed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

Giolito is looking more and more like a bust (although he seems like an awesome guy) but López and Rodon were putting up some decent outings and Fry seems like a decent bullpen arm.

I always thought Giolito was way overrated as a prospect, I'm never glad to be right about those types of things, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, he's guaranteed $93m just over the next three years, it's not like he isn't already getting his payday.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Kershaw is yet another example of this phenomena at work. Justin Turner's deal also qualifies.

https://twitter.com/ChadMoriyama/status/1058460164313964544

I was unaware that people thought nobody likes playing for LA.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

By "people" Chad means LA sports talk radio callers and their ilk. There is a large, loud, ignorant contingent of fans who cry and scream every time the team loses on October that the FO/management/etc are ruining a great team and alienating players.

SAS is aware of how awful Bill Plaschke is. Now realize he's probably the most read Dodgers columnist.

Oh, that makes more sense.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Just think of the legions of New Yorkers who listened to Mike Francesa religiously, and translate that to LA. Same thing really.

Why would you put that in the past tense?! He's still on the air! :shepicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Re: Cleveland

Honestly, I bet if the Yankees came back and offered Frazier+ one or two mid level prospects for Kluber they’d think long and hard about it. Same thing for Dodgers and Verdugo+, or Gallo+

I don't know how much value Frazier has right now. He incurred a brain injury in Spring Training and it pretty much kept him off the field for an entire season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has Harper made any noise about where he’d prefer to end up or is he pretty much fine with whoever offers the best deal?

He's worn shirts/hats of Chicago teams for a couple of photos (Bulls/Blackhawks), but I'm pretty sure the only quotes he's made on record are about how much he likes being in DC.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Harper to the Blackhawks confirmed.

poo poo, dude's already got the hair for hockey.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

Hey, inspector 666, curling is on NBCSN

Oh I know it, motherfucker.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Goodpancakes posted:

Yo I did a curling class last year. Highly recommend. Probably one in your area

I'm already signed up for a proper league this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Buncha goddamn bullshit that Tanaka continues to not have a GG.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Moving the deadline back to mid August would be good imo

Yeah, I don't think making everything one deadline is necessarily bad, but they can't keep the same date if they do that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

:toot:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

I'm onboard for Bryce to the Yankees to play 1B.

Bryce to The Bronx I don't care where he plays.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vernacular posted:

Zaidi, Turner Ward and Chris Woodward all leaving in the same offseason would be brutal.

What other decent GM candidates are there out there? Would we be the team that finally gives Kim Ng a GM job?

Honestly, a GM title is a demotion for Ng at this point, people need to move off of this talking point. She should have been given a GM job a while back, there are other women in baseball who should get it now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vernacular posted:

I am not so sure that leaving a bureaucratic position as Joe Torre's underling to break baseball's GM gender barrier with a high prestige, big market organization (with whom she has a professional history) would be considered a demotion but okay.

Also not trying to take away from someone like Jean Afterman, who would be a super intriguing hire.

Anyway, I hope its all a moot point and our dear Farhan stays put.

She's the Senior Vice-President for Baseball Operations for the league, not the Assistant To The Regional Manager.

Her getting a GM job would obviously be a big deal but it's not like she doesn't already have a high-ranking position in the sport.

EDIT: Tebow Comin'

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1059940962162470912

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Imagine being mad about the CC deal.