Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Go for Machado, Cubs. I'd rather have a dirty player on our team than a domestic abuser.

Don't you loving dare re-sign Murphy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SourKraut posted:

Thoughts on signing Harper?

Sure if the price is right, but if it's $400 million over 10 years that'll probably backfire.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHr8NxA8raw

The bad lip reading guy did one of the MLB

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Well it's not like there's much competition from other professional sports in St. Louis.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SourKraut posted:

Wow that thread is... interesting.

My favorite part is all the Packers posters complaining that Cubs posters doomsay too much :thunk:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
It's been almost a week and my sleep schedule is still hosed up from staying up late to watch game 3.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

They're gonna like the fact that he's handing out full-size candy better.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Goodpancakes posted:

Kershaw doesn't get anything done in October so this checks out

:drat:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Cubs exercised the $10.5 million option on Quintana and claimed lefty reliever Jerry Vasto off waivers from the Royals. They still haven't exercised Strop's $6.25 million option yet, which seems like a no-brainer.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Cubs exercised the $10.5 million option on Quintana and claimed lefty reliever Jerry Vasto off waivers from the Royals. They still haven't exercised Strop's $6.25 million option yet, which seems like a no-brainer.

Oh hey look at that

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1058111158505390080

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Julio Cruz posted:

Make home plate umpires wear a bodycam. You'd get a great angle and as a bonus it'd probably make Angel Hernandez explode with rage.

With Joe West, you'd just hear heavy breathing constantly

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

One on the left clearly too cool for this.

At least no one twisted her arm over it like the one on the right :haw:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Lester, Hendricks, Darvish, Hamels, and Quintana seems like a fine rotation as long as they can stay healthy and the offense remembers how to hit.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
This is where I was two years ago today. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icvoo_Mzwic

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I still get nervous anytime I think about Bryant coming up with that ball off balance and almost sailing it over Rizzos head.

I've rewatched the condensed game a few times over the past 2 years and it still gives me anxiety, even though I know the outcome.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
That seems moronic by the Indians, but I'm not surprised.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Harper to the Blackhawks confirmed.

He can't be worse at defense than Brandon Manning

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

ah yes, Nick Markakis and his 114 wRC+, good for 17th among qualified NL outfielders this year (but he was 6th by AVG so I guess that's why he won a SS?)

He won a gold glove too, so I guess all you need is a resurgent season to win all the awards.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

Is Salvy's season the worst ever in which a player won both a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger?

this poo poo is cracking me up though salvy owns

1999 Palmeiro comes to mind, but only because that was the stupidest gold glove in history. His Silver Slugger at DH was well deserved, but he won the Gold Glove for 1B while only playing 28 games at that position.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kirios posted:

Bryant for Bregman who says no

Bryant for Appel

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

What would we say the best RoY individual year was? Setting aside 1947 because going up against Jackie just isn't fair. 1956 (Aparicio & Frank Robinson), 1967 (Carew and Seaver) and 2001 (Ichiro and Pujols) seem like the best, just eyeballing it.

2012 with Trout and Harper was pretty insane, with a combined 15.7 bWAR.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Just want to say that I'm relieved the sudden massive influx of posts in the N/V thread isn't from a case of Cubsposting.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I think if you look again you'll find that it is.

My partner works in the front office, so I know more about how doomed the Cubs are this year than you, period, full stop.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Usually MotY goes to whichever team was the most surprisingly good, and I think the Braves were a much bigger surprise than the Brewers. Everyone was predicting the Braves to be 4th in the NL East, but most people were saying the Brewers would end up 3rd or even 2nd in the NL Central.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

BTW I will laugh a lot when the Cubs fire the manager who's overseen the team's most successful run in 100 years or whatever.

Just following in the Blackhawks' footsteps yet again

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Todd "Home Run" Hundley

Being too young to realize that Randy Hundley was completely trashed out of his mind at the Cubs Convention was one of my finest childhood memories.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf have a kid whose genes alone would probably make him the best tennis player ever, but Agassi had an extremely overbearing father who basically made Andre hate tennis, so he discouraged his own kids from playing it. Jaden Agassi is one of the top high school baseball prospects now and is committed to USC.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

II am glad the assholes with votes went with my not groundbreaking opinion: whoever carried their team to a NL Central title would win MVP.

Yelich would've won it even if the Cubs won the Central.

Javy winning would've saved the city of Milwaukee a lot of money, though. They'd have enough salt to keep the roads clear all Winter. :haw:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

elentar posted:

Braves beat writer thinks currently the Braves are not a factor in any Realmuto trade discussions, because apparently the Marlins are asking for Acuņa in return. :psyduck:

Would've been nice if the Marlins asked for good prospects when trading away Stanton, Yelich, and Ozuna.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

jit bull transpile posted:

Man there's been like no Brewers news other than the MVP award. I'd have figured their stove would be pretty hot given they're like 2 even passable pitchers away from a world series.

I know they're interested in Sonny Gray, but I haven't heard much else. If last offseason was any indication, it may take a while before stuff starts happening.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1065012350967836673

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I think it's health problems, but I'm don't know what, specifically.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/NextSportStar/status/1065996042620071936

Chatwood and Russell seems like a fair trade

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

big lonnie chisenhall fan here, particularly of his routes to fly balls

Hopefully he will continue to open the floodgates for the Cubs now that they'll be playing against him 19 times a year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ChiTownEddie posted:

I've been desperately searching baseball news to try and distract from this ...argument.
And this is the best I could do:
https://twitter.com/wboor/status/1067514054225195008
MGM is the official MLB gaming partner! Yay gambling?

Are they gonna pull the same poo poo the NHL did and make the laughable claim that the savings will be passed on to ticketholders?

https://twitter.com/BFawkesESPN/status/1060544541114146817

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

This information has to be out there somewhere but what is the trend for ticket/beer prices adjusted for inflation? I'm not old enough to have noticed and have only really started going to games regularly in the past 5 years but it seems like ticket/beer prices are absurd lately (especially at Wrigley, but elsewhere as well). Have prices jumped up significantly since the 80s/90s?

Apparently we should be complaining about hot dog prices going up more than beer prices.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Keep Addison Russell permanently stored in a Pokeball on Bill's PC until his contract is up.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

GalacticAcid posted:

The NL Central All-Scumbag Infield shaping up nicely for 2019

Someone needs to sign Coghlan to systematically take them all out

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Russell better get loving booed in his first game at Wrigley after his suspension. If they go full Milwaukee and give him a standing ovation, I'm gonna be livid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1069345541266518017

Not sure what "record" was broken, but drat that's a lot raised for a good cause