Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Part of me hopes the Dodgers miss out next year and have to rebuild. I can’t take another full season of waiting to see if we get wrecked in the WS again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
This sucks so bad. It took me this entire season + the entire NL playoffs to get over last year. I really don’t know how to keep caring.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I don’t know, last year it seemed like there was a high probability of getting another chance, whereas this year it feels like the window is closing.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

All of me hopes this.

We all know you have nothing to look forward to, not sure why you guys feel the need to keep reminding us

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Right. From the MLB article about this year’s QOs:

Wait a minute, what? Can you only get a QO once in your career or something??

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I think it says more about how baseball front offices work these days. Zaidi has to build an entire administration of his own in SF to be able to keep up. It’s going to take time to do that + build up the farm system. Unless he manages to poach a bunch of guys from the Friedman administration, it’s not gonna matter much to the Dodgers

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Ahahahaha hahaha hahahaha gently caress this ownership group

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Guggenheim gets $320 million per year -just- from their TV deal that oh yeah keeps the games out of the vast majority of homes in LA

And now we get to throw trash heap relievers into the fireman role in the playoffs for the indefinite future. Awesome

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
That’s Friedman

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Turns out Gendo was Bill James all along

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I was in Tokyo for the MLB/NPB Series in 2014. There was more energy and crowd enthusiasm at that game than at any World Series game I’ve been to lol

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I want to know where Scott Servais got the idea that there are no Latino catchers, that’s just so ridiculous lol

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
So what you’re telling me is that the world’s next tennis great is going to be named Suzuki?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Are they gonna do all their marketing slogans in Spanglish now lol

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Logo itself is fine, whatever, I’ve never cared for any of their uniforms. Color scheme is real bad though, like worse than ‘93 teal hats bad.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Intruder posted:

Those are lazy and awful

Yah, definite downgrade

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I also feel like the old ones were designed to vibe with the look of the stadium, while these ones clash with it.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Really too bad that Guggenheim are a bunch of cheap loving bastards

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Someone resurrected my facebook thread about being at the 18 inning World Series game and I didn't immediately start drinking. Maybe I still like baseball

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

the popes toes posted:

oh hey,

The Baseball Hall of Fame has released its ballot for 2019 and the new guys on it are:

Roy Halladay
Todd Helton
Andy Pettitte
Mariano Rivera
Rick Ankiel
Jason Bay
Lance Berkman
Freddy Garcia
Jon Garland
Travis Hafner
Ted Lilly
Derek Lowe
Darren Oliver
Roy Oswalt
Juan Pierre
Placido Polanco
Miguel Tejada
Vernon Wells
Kevin Youkilis
Michael Young

Mo Rivera is the easiest first ballot guy ever. Unlike Juan Pierre.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/author/ccalcaterra/

This is the most hosed up thing I've ever seen

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I missed the boat on Beltre chat but god drat the combination of him and Mauer retiring makes me feel old as poo poo. I think I went to Dodger Stadium for the first time in 96. Beltre was the first prospect I was ever aware of/excited about.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
*turns on tv to see an empty stadium*

What’s going on here, I’ve got to know more about this thrilling event!!!

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The Cubs can ride the goodwill from 2016 into like, the 2130s. There’s no reason for them to ever spend money again

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

AhhhhhhHhhhHhhhhHHHHHHH corporate naming sponsorships are bad enough but letting them dictate the look of your stadium...:psyduck:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I’m drunk on a plane and need to show someone this SA emoji, please disregard

:holymoley:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I’m more in disbelief that any SAS poster hasn’t seen that Votto popup stat than about the stat itself

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The gyroball, as we currently understand the term, just sounds like a flat fastball that's a lot harder to throw. Even if you could throw it, why would you?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Der Meister posted:

The owners want a strike and know they will crush the MLBPA.

This is my opinion as well. The owners, especially the big boys, have so much guaranteed money coming for such a ridiculously long stretch into the future. They’d probably be willing to lose an entire season. The players would be hosed.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I don't understand why they'd *want* a strike though. They're already winning with the status quo; revenues are up while player payroll is in decline. They've realized that analytics give a justification for not paying veterans, and the average fan has internalized that position too. They managed to cap spending on amateur talent both through the draft and internationally, and won a de-facto salary cap. Everything is trending in the right direction for ownership, why risk blowing that up?

You’re not this innocent. More is never enough for these people

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Of course not, but they've been successful at getting more and more through the CBA and business as usual. MLB owners have never won a strike, so why would they assume this time would be different?

I don’t think they’re intentionally trying to provoke one per se, but I interpreted Der Meister’s post to be about how they would respond to escalating tensions over player salaries

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I think a not insignificant percentage of guys in the game today are infected with anti labor brainworms themselves. I really don’t see Trevor Bauer blasting Solidarity Forever

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Yeah I susspect this is the case.

I tried to go searching for player quotes during the '94 strike but came up empty. I remember seeing some that displayed labor solidarity, players saying things like, "the players before me sacrificed so much to get to where we are today, now it's my duty to sacrifice for future generations"

I wouldn't be shocked to see a guy like Bauer happily scab while tweeting about how dumb the other players are.

I remember the build up to the near strike in 2002 well, and the players seemed 100% united back then. But these are completely different times. The guys playing today are the first generation who grew up being brainwashed by Fox News and Rush Limbaugh.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Unwritten rules being enforced in VWL

https://twitter.com/elextrabase/status/1083575866209304578?s=21

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Dodgers are going for draft picks this year I see

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I was watching cricket last night (cuz I’m an old nerd and don’t go out anymore) and man, baseball is loving behind the times. An Australian batsman was called out leg before wicket and it went to instant replay. While the replay umpire was reviewing it you could see what he was looking at and hear what he was saying to the AV crew. Here’s what happened:

-Verified that the bowler made a fair delivery
-Verified that the ball hit the batsman’s leg
-Thermal camera to double check that it hit his leg
-Mic check to see if the bat knicked the ball
-Trajectory simulation to verify the ball would have hit the wicket, which concluded “ump’s discretion” and led to
-Checking with field ump to see if he still wanted to call the guy out

All of this took place in under 90 seconds.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Popete posted:

How many games in a cricket season?

This was international cricket, which as far as I can tell Australia India Pakistan and Sri Lanka just play each other in a constant rotation

Australia has something of a pro league with modified rules to make the games comparable to the length of an MLB game. 8 teams play 10 matches each + a 4 team playoff.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Intruder posted:

Nobody understands cricket. You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket

One thing that amazes me is that cricket, one of the most popular sports in the world, has tons of adherents who insist the only REAL cricket is the type where matches last three days, yet here we are trying to shave minutes off of a 3 hour baseball game

When you think about it baseball matchups are 3-4 days long as well, each match just counts for multiple points in the standings :colbert:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Intruder posted:

When you think about it pizza is a sandwich

Correct

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Popete posted:

This is the most cricket of explanations.

Thanks for the detail, I always found cricket interesting but have never really sat down to watch a match.

My boys the Sydney Thunder are playing at 9:45pm central tonight, I think it'll be streaming on cricket.com.au. If you're interested in cricket, check it out! I find Twenty20 cricket (which is what they'll be playing) to be a little more accessible. Each team only gets 20 overs (1 over = 6 pitches) to try to score. So in addition to wrapping up in about 3 hours, the batsmen are more aggressive.

It's still gonna be nonsense until you've watched a bunch of games, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
We need a winter signing deadline or something