Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I moved away from South Florida and my beloved Marlins in 2012; however, the team I grew up loving didn't love me anymore, so I said that if my team wasn't loyal to me, I owed them nothing in return. I asked around, and signed a 4-year deal with my buddy STFU_KG8T to cheer for the LA Dodgers.

When that deal expired, I signed a new 4 year deal thanks to Skaboomizzy to cheer for the Pirates, a scrappy up-and-coming team with a lot of heart and fun players. However, their window is rapidly closing, so I elected to opt-out of my deal and test the waters.

I am formally announcing my free agency as a fan, and am available to cheer online, shitpost memes about our bad players and blindly support a sports franchise for 3 years, with a fan option for a fourth

Please submit offers as to why I should cheer for your team. Requirements:

-Not the Braves or Yankees

-Preference given to NL teams who actually have their pitchers hit

I offer replacement-level cheering but have plus shitposting and a 70-grade snark tool that flashes plus-plus

Currently I'm considering the Reds, because their pitchers hit dongs, and the Rays (who I had a cup of coffee with, cheering in 06-08 when I lived in Tampa) since I live in Durham and can go see future Rays with the Bulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ok so reds sound really good, but im leery of a long term deal. 2 years cheering with a fan option for 3rd and 4th years, plus free goetta twice a week. Deal?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Deciding to walk away from a baseball team you've followed for 30 years isn't like deciding to give up on a tv show that's gone down hill in it's 5th season.
Disagree. I was 12 when I went to the Inaugural Marlins game and watch Charlie Hough knuckle that first ball to Benito Santiago. I bled teal for fifteen years, but the team I loved no longer cared enough to bother fielding a competitive team and didn't deserve my loyalty. I looked for greener pastures and could not have been happier since I decided to become an unrestricted fan free agent.

I think the idea that a team is entitled to your fandom is folly. Teams need to earn your fandom, not necessarily by winning, but at least by trying, or failing that - being interesting and fun.

Teams stocking their clubhouse and owner's boxes with racists, wife-beaters and cheats is not "interesting and fun"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Different people have different journeys as fans. Just because you found it easy to leave the Marlins doesn't mean others will find it similarly easy to leave the Dodgers or the Yankees or the Cubs or whatever team they love because their grandma used to take them to games and now they take their own child etc etc.
I'm basically ground loving zero for "how to make a fan"

I grew up watching, playing and loving baseball - and then my hometown gets a team! And drafts Nigel Wilson #1 overall! And I get to see the first game ever, as a kid! And the owner is a local guy, a Cuban refugee! And Gary Sheffield is a legit MVP candidate! And then within 5 years, I get a World Series!

Do you know how severely you have to gently caress up as an organization to lose me as a fan? I'll concede, it's probably harder for other people to walk away from their teams. And yet, the Marlins

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Intruder posted:

He hits free agency at 27 and will probably be looking for a contract at this time of year at that point and people will justify it by saying Machado was a year younger and couldn't get a huge deal right away either

Remember when Evan Longoria signed a 6/36 deal and MLBPA was pissed at him because he was taking below market value?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Gimme the NFL one, as long as I get the best O-line in the league.

EDIT: I mean I better get it done on the first try because if I get sacked I'd break 19 bones.

Yeah, if I had Joe Thomas and Orlando Pace back from the dead, I could probably shovel-pass something to the RB.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Billy the Marlin DFA'd

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pancakes posted:

I've seen a live pitcher pinch-hit extra innings go-ahead double. :smug:

Waino. :allears:
I saw a pitcher hit at an AL park when the Marlins got bumped from their own home game by U2 and had to play the Mariners "at home" at Safeco.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jit bull transpile posted:

If they add dh to the nl they should just get rid of the leagues, make the divisions more compact, and move to a balanced schedule with a less dumb post season. An nl with a dh is not the nl anyway.

Wait, make the divisions more compact? Like go back to pre-1993, with just an east and west x2? So 4 overall divisions instead of 6? How do you make the playoffs less dumb then?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

It’s going to happen but not until 2021 as a owners concession in the new CBA. These are probably preliminary ideas the players are planning to ask for in that CBA.

Keith Olbermann had an interesting idea: 28 man rosters, with 3 "healthy scratches" per game, so teams could carry a dh and still have full pitching rosters

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

RCarr posted:

A 10 second 60 yard dash is incredibly slow for anyone resembling an athletic person.

Edit: But I guess the question was aimed at the average fatties.

It's only 30 yards to second base!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm sorry, what?!

Did he double off a pitcher's face?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have now seen the dumbest stat of my entire life (I am counting TOOTBLANs, which are a more legitimate stat than what I am about to recount):

1) HR : a batted ball that clears the outfield fence, scoring all runners
2) xHR : a batted ball that clears the outfield fence, but is fielded by a defensive player, resulting in an out.

:psyboom:

This stat was presented as a remotely serious one. I suppose "thrown out at home attempting an inside-the-park HR" would also be an xHR (and a TOOTBLAN! :haw: ).

Julio Cruz posted:

e: do balls hit off a roof count as doubles anywhere?
most domes? I know I saw Delmon Young do this at least once.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I suppose "HR hit but stolen" is a reasonable enough thing to count in the hitter's favor. But if that stat actually varies THAT far from your actual HR number then you're either the unluckiest motherfucker on the planet, play in the worst drat division for you, or need to learn to hit the ball to another part of the field.

or two feet farther

and what would the Canseco HR be? Negative xHR?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Intruder posted:

Pitchers should be pulled via a trap door that opens beneath the mound like one of those old scoreboard things
Counterpoint: relief pitchers should arrive via under-mound trampoline like Rey Mysterio

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Has anyone ever asked Manfred how he can claim to be for faster play and shorter games, but never ever ever sacrificing endless, and lengthening commercial breaks, which are constantly and consistently making the game longer? Or how he has entertained the idea to ban the shift, which increases baserunners and game times while reducing player quality?

I mean, it's patently obvious, someone decided a game that is already riotously popular and profitable needed to see VC-style year-over-year double-digit gains, and they're willing to destroy the thing in the long term, to crack it open and slurp out whatever profits they can before discarding the thing, hoping only not to be the last one holding the bag.

But has anyone in a major media outlet actually asked him, at least in a major publication's article, if not to his face, about this?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 7, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Vernacular posted:

Obviously, he wants shorter games to allow for more frequent advertising.
Seems to me if they want quick games, they should just raise the mound six inches, add a 10th defender, then add sudden-death HR derbies at the end of 9 innings when every game ends 0-0.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Move in the bases to 65 feet, it will take less time to score
Yeah but we'll never see another player steal third since the pitching rubber will be doubling as second base.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Poking around led me to Don Sutton's page. Am I understanding correctly, he racked up 324 wins and got into the Hall of Fame, without ever making an all-star team? I've literally never heard of him before today. Gun to my head, if you showed me the win total and name only, I would've guessed some 1880s guy with a moustache, not a dude who pitched on the same team as Orel Herscheiser

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Der Meister posted:

Same. I can’t find a thread.

Last time I was asking two years ago, it had ended up in like the Private Game Servers thread or Coupons & Deals or something

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Congratulations to 2019 NL MVP JT Realmuto

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Artix posted:

In other news, the Orioles have signed Nate Karns. :confuoot: Is this an upgrade? I mean our rotation was gonna be garbage regardless, but...
depends on if you get enough turns to activate his ult and restart the game or not

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Intruder posted:

bespoke: immediately getting rid of all your good players so you don't have to worry about paying them or them leaving
Marlins Front Office account spotted.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Aww, Buster thinks the Giants can win now. That's cute. :allears:

Year not divisible by 2. Giants finish 3rd in the West at best

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

All this MadBum talk reminds me of the other good Giants starter, Tim Lincecum, who a friend of mine was roommates with for a year in college. She described him as "an ultimate goober," which seems accurate, but it's crazy that he was real real good for a long time, then just absolutely fell off the face of the earth almost instantly. What happened?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

euphronius posted:

Lincecum is first ballot no??

I was looking at Sandy Koufax as a comp, someone else who was transcendantly good but also short career, but there's no loving comparison. Koufax basically put up Lincecum's best season 5 years in a row and was as good as Timmy's second-best (also Cy Young-winning) season for the four years before it. He was basically 9 years, all peak, with no "rookie finding his way" or "veteran hanging on" on either end.

Lincecum might hang on the ballot at 10% for a year or two, but he just doesn't have the longevity, by a hair. If Lincecum's a HoF'er then Brandon Webb is, and I just can't accept that.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 9, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spoeank posted:

he sucked out loud during most of the Giants WS runs
snuh?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

He can go in the hall of grit :gritty:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 10, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

It's garbage, I tell you. I was just starting to really get into baseball in the mid-00s, and Santana was just something else during those years.

How good could he have even been, really? His best pitch was a change-up, fer crissakes!

**Votes for Jack Morris, leaves rest of ballot blank**

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/easydiff/status/1098067682707030017