Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ALL HAIL OUR NEW PREDICTION OVERLORD

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1047248920907329536

oh and I guess congratulations to Yankees North

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the popes toes posted:

quick, go to JD Martinez' Wiki page

I could go faster if you would link it after saying we should go to it quickly

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

<150IP is a bit loving soon to be declaring anyone a "new Kershaw".

He might be a new Kershaw but he's no Danny Duffy (when he's on)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You really have to twist yourself into some pretzels to avoid admitting this was a good-rear end team.

I think he was just saying that the Red Sox are better than the Yankees at getting the most out of their players

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Goodpancakes posted:

Kershaw doesn't get anything done in October so this checks out

:vince:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

If you're like me and spend way to much time watching hitting/pitching videos on YouTube you'll enjoy this one. Some great shots from just behind the pitchers shoulder as he throws fastball/curveball/slider/changeups and then starting at 4:50 some really great footage from the catchers perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a9aquPfMOI

Gives a really good idea why hitting is so drat hard especially at the top level where fastballs are in the 90s and you have to deal with nasty curveballs.

That opening clip brings back memories of the exact moment where I realized baseball was just a dream, because a dude that could throw 90 came in to pitch against me and I could hear the ball hiss but not see it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pancakes posted:

Vlad on TV

when/where

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah I’m shocked a Yankees fan would love to sign Bryce Harper to play a position he has literally never played.

It's not that hard, Scott.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://i.imgur.com/chUI6DM.mp4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Angry Grimace posted:

That was largely because everyone was trying to sign Ohtani

Darvish, not Ohtani

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

bored already huh

lets play IDENTIFY THAT PLAYER BY HIS STATS

harder, but still pretty easy

I'm usually bad at these but I got this one on my first guess and I'm stunned that I was able to

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tom Gorman posted:

If I had to pick between Corbin Dallas Multipass and Bill Paxton on a same-deal basis I probably pick Corbin but it's close.

Either way the Yankees just passed go and got $200

Corbin would be great on the Yankees because he can give you a pretty good Deep Six most nights and then they can just turn it over to the bullpen

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

It'll be the End of Days before I cheer for the Yankees.

thank you I was proud of that and was worried it would be wasted

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

"We got busted and need to save face"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

Wow, I did not know about this until these posts prompted me to look it up.

Apparently the Yankees and David Robertson specifically are huge assholes.

You should share the info here so everyone else can read about it too!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can we please bring back the Yankee thread

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Definitely a fan of that A's stadium

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nothing wrong with that, he's only 30 (well, he'll basically be 31 next year) and still pitched great last year. Always ask for more than you think you'll get and negotiate down.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Russell has played 4 seasons in the MLB, nobody should care about his prospect rankings anymore.

https://twitter.com/m_sheldon/status/1068600553645768704

This feels like the end of an era.

I feel incredibly vindicated for always calling him overrated and bad

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What the gently caress is this poo poo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

I think it's a form of negging.

How insecure do you have to be as a Yankees fan that you feel the need to neg Minnesota.

Even Trump isn't that insecure.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Do the Nationals make any claims to the Senators history as well, or does Minnesota? IMO if you move cities and change your name, you don't get to keep any rights to your old city team if another team expands there. Want to keep your old city history? Then don't change your name (Dodgers, Giants, Braves, A's).

The Twins don't really make any effort to claim the Senators history as their own (I don't think they even have any banners or anything for the team accomplishments anywhere) unless it's players like Killebrew who were on the team before and after it moved. Most of the time you see people referencing stuff like that it's media/internet people doing it themselves.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Even considering his age I was still shocked but looking Carrasco up on b-r his current contract runs through 2020 (9.75m in 2019 and a 2020 team option for 9.5m) and then he's a 33 year old pitcher in FA so I guess I can actually understand why he'd sign that contract

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

“What if I told you the two greatest players of their generation had to spend most of a decade in baseball prison....?”

I'm not sure what this has to do with Bryce Harper

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zapplez posted:

I'm fine with Lee Smith getting in. When he retired he was the all time leader in saves. Anyone that is the all time leader of a major stat that retires after 10 years should make it in.

edit : I have dumb HOF opinions and think a ton more people should be in anyways, if I was voting I'd be picking 15 guys a ballot.

You're only allowed to pick 10

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

yes, it is not really different from just using a lighter bat.

The key advantage is that it lets you keep your bat the same length, so you can have more plate coverage than normal with a bat that weight.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

lol remember when the Twins asked for Bellinger+ for two years of Dozier?

lol remember when the Dodgers tried to get two years of Dozier for Jose De Leon

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

considering the Dodgers eventually got him for far less than JDL, I find the original Twins ask more humorous.

I mean, yes his price is going to go down when you're getting him for half a season instead of two. And let's not let 2018 Dozier being awful overshadow how good he was in 2017 (or 2016, the season he had just come off of when they were first trying to trade for him).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eltoasto posted:

Ok, what GM sent Bryce nudes?

Astros

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1073004965155622913

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doesn't Kimbrel also have a filthy as gently caress slider or am I just making that up?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh also Kimbrel's pre-pitch thing is cool, gently caress the haters.

Nah, he's a two-pitch dude. He threw a slider in 2010-11, but he replaced it entirely with his curve since then.

Ok, then is his curve filthy?

I could swear his breaking pitch is really good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Twins are apparently in on Cruz

That would be neat

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Twins left 2015 #6 overall pick Tyler Jay unprotected in the rule 5 draft yesterday and nobody picked him.

The #7 overall pick in that draft was Andrew Benintendi.

Good job, Terry.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

People poo poo on Harper all the time and I've yet to hear a good reason for it.

He's overrated. His production doesn't match the hype. Etc.

If you mean poo poo on him for his attitude or whatever then I dunno, I think he's awesome.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cleveland is determined to cut literally everyone except Lindor and Ramirez out of their payroll and it’s pathetic. Why pull a soft tank when you could still have coasted to another AL Central title?

who says they won't still be able to?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the popes toes posted:

Someone here (a NYY fan or critic, it's hard to tell) earlier opined that Harper was over-valued and over-rated. Here's an interesting comp of younger than 27, requiring HR>=150 and OBP>=.380, sorted by dingers

He can be really good and also over-valued/rated

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the popes toes posted:

J.A. Happ to NYY, 2 years +/- $34 million

Didn't this happen like a week ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

N: The Twins are retiring Mauer's number

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1075067330445672454

V: Has the fanbase come around on him with the retirement? I know he got a lot of wrongheaded poo poo for being bad or whatever since he moved out from behind the plate but everything I've seen from this season seems to be positive?

The fanbase has always loved him. Don't let the vocal extreme minority that can't get over him not hitting tons of dingers let you think otherwise.