Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Go for Machado, Cubs. I'd rather have a dirty player on our team than a domestic abuser.

Don't you loving dare re-sign Murphy.

Yea, I think Machado fits the Cubs needs right now more than Harper, and I think Harper is going to be way more than Machado too. Do not resign Murphy, for the love of god. Is Russel officially shipped off to the moon, or is he still on the team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Baseball needs to leave Florida. Neither team gets support. Hell TB was in the playoff race for most of the season and is 2nd to last.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

From the comments of the press conference livestream:

"ok now let's hire the hotdog guy as medical staff"

If anyone knows about ligaments, it's the guy who deals with hot dogs all day.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dude made $25 million in one year. I don't know if he keeps all of that (aside from taxes), or if he has to pay something to his agency, but if he did that job even for a few years, then he has enough money for the rest of his life. Plus I'm sure he's going to make a few million from the Mets. It definitely has to be a dream job for him, it is for a lot of people.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Kind of wonder what they'll do with him. He's their 7th starter now I guess. Maybe 8th is Alzolay looks ready.

He had that one bad start in September at Arizona. Otherwise he was pretty good. Factor in getting Smyly off the books and it's $13 million for what at worst should be a big innings eater at the back of the rotation.

If you want to talk bad deals, I forgot the Cubs are on the hook for Kintzler at $5 million. Boy did that turn out to be a bad trade.

I have to imagine Chatwood is going to get a shot in the spring, but if he's the same he gets relegated to the bullpen to be used in blowout games to chew up innings, and thrown in to start in case of injury. I do like the Cubs starting rotation. Not sure if there is a super ace in the bunch, but there's no duds either. Putting out above average guys five days in a row is better than most teams.

IMO, Cubs just need to find someone to play SS or 2B to fill in for Russell. If they pick up Harper, then someone has to get traded because how do you have an OF that consists of Schwarber, Heyward, Almora, Harper, and Zobrist. You're either benching some good talent, or a lot of money 40% of the time. I don't really think Zobrist can play 2B every day, but maybe that's the answer for that spot for at least one year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

There's zero chance Chatwood makes the rotation barring injury. Lester, Hendricks, Darvish, Q, and Hamels are all locks now.

He's either going to be dumped in a bad contract swap or he's going to be garbage time mop up man like you said.

If Chatwood is decent, they may go to a 6-man rotation, but otherwise I agree.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

If Cleveland is going into a semi sell off, the White Sox need to jump and make a push now IMO. They were really bad this year, but have some key pieces in their farm system they can call up. They could probably wait until 2020 to really make a push, but with all teams except Cleveland going through a rebuild, you don't want to be trying to compete with every other team at the same time in 3-4 years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

White Sox are pretty far away I think. Without Kopech, that pitching staff is a dumpster fire. Moncada still needs time and you'd have to bank on Jimenez stepping in and putting up MVP numbers right away (which I wouldn't rule out, he's a stud).

Their push should start in 2020, maybe even 2021. It's when most of their prospects will be in the majors and they should have two front line starters in Kopech and Cease.

Good lord that Quintana trade was amazing for them.

Honestly I forgot about Kopech being out for the full year. Yea, 2019 is too early. They're close though. They could look at signing some FA this year with the hopes of having a complete team in 2020. Jimenez I think will come up and be MLB ready right away, he just is killing it in the minors.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Popete posted:

That seems like a really good deal for the Dodgers. Kershaw is only 30, I figured he'd push for a long term contract.

Kershaw had 2 years left. Is this adding 3 to that, or just extending his 2 years by one more year? If he's getting paid until he's 35, I'd say this is a decent deal. If it's just adding one more year, this seems bad for Kershaw. He'll be 33 and have a history of injuries. It will be tough to get anything more than a year or two deal at that point. Although, maybe he's only thinking of playing until 35 or so.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Confirmed, Kershaw is upside down on his house and can’t sell it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pancakes posted:

It’s really tragic that last season was our first full season as ticketholders. No matter what that garbage 100-loss team will be imprinted on my girlfriend for all time when she thinks of the White Sox. Avi injuring his hamstring all the time, Moncada striking out nonstop, Kopech getting rain delayed all to hell before TJS, etc. That’s what she’ll think of.

Did you get season tickets in the hopes that the White Sox will actually be good soon or something? I can't imagine wanting to watch the Sox more than once or twice a year right now, even if I was a fan.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/PinwheelsIvyPod/status/1060233242119307264

Uh... okay I guess? Felt like Hickey did a fine job all things considered.

Yea, this seems odd. Chatwood is really the only failure at pitcher, and you can't blame that on Hickey. Darvish getting injured isn't on Hickey either. The Cubs had a really good year overall, even if some of the guys had some rough spots.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That's just clickbait. I think Theo said nothing is ever off the table, but obviously people like Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez would be extremely unlikely to move.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Mariners trying hard for shittiest organization this year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I love these

The one at 3:04 is fuckin nuts.

Is that real? That's a hell of a climb.

Are most ball girls high school and college softball players?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

The NL Central All-Scumbag Infield shaping up nicely for 2019

Hey, Cubs haven't signed Daniel Murphy back. Yet.

I guess I knew it was coming, but I hate having Russell back on the team. Hope he gets booed a lot when he comes back.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Have we talked about Frank Robinson dying yet?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/8944321/no-one-tried-embarrass-frank-robinson-got-away-it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Popete posted:

Back to the tried and true Daley.

Another Daley getting elected is on par with the Cubs moving entirely to a cable channel.

I think I'm pretty committed to never paying to watch the Cubs. I was pretty content watching 1-2 games a week on WGN/WLS, but I am not going to get a cable plan just to watch the Cubs. This is going to be just like the Dodgers, where half the city can't even see the Cubs because they can't make a deal with Comcast or AT&T or whatever. Cubs are going to go from the team everyone could to see, to the team no one can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

A 3rd place finish this year makes that $6/month a tough sell.

$6/month plus the cable subscription no less. There is absolutely no way they get that price in Chicago, let alone anywhere out of state.