Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

It's slowly dawning on me that there is no more baseball and it is poo poo.

How do people who follow the NFL religiously go 40 weeks out of the year with nothing to watch?

In Atlanta I hear as much about the Falcons as the Braves before the NFL preseason practices even start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm too busy to oversee this very closely but would anybody be interested in a Be A GM thread where everybody just makes a plan for their team's off-season so we can laugh at everyone's terrible trade ideas and absurd free agent contracts?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cubs payroll is $200M with arb estimates included? Time to rebuild!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

Don't the Jays have Jeff Conine's kid now too?

That's gonna be the most OOTP-in'est team in a couple years

edit: vlad jr, bo, cavan biggio, kacy clemens and griffin conine all as legit prospects lmao that owns

I hope they acquire DeShields, even if he is a little older.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Freddie tied with Rizzo! Ender won his third in a row!

Also Nick Markakis who definitely should not have!

LOL Nick Markakis is a statue. That's just loving awful. I don't really get too hung up on gold gloves but that's Jeter-level bad.

On the flip side, I'm impressed they gave an award to Nick Ahmed since the DBacks usually fly under the radar and he can't hit and you have to really impress the hell out of the voters to win a gold glove if you can't hit.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The owners have the players in the palm of their hand, lately. They just have so many variables to play with that, when the players want anything, the owners have like 5 other things to bring up. They also successfully vilified the players over the last several work stoppages. Everything in baseball is "the players' fault" in the eyes of 90% of fans and the owners know it. Local beat writers owe their jobs to the teams and not the players and it shows.

I think the players should do everything they can to vilify the teams' roles in human trafficking, while they have the chance. The problem is that this may dovetail into immigration debates and, for gently caress's sake, that's going to open an enormous Pandora's box. You just don't know where that would lead.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 5, 2018

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

It's hard to bring up how lovely and exploitative baseball is when you ultimately have no plans to fight to fix it, as the MLBPA will most likely choose to (not) do

The problem is that neither side has an incentive to "fix it". MLB isn't run like a corporation with lots of branch offices. The owners are supposed to tell the commissioner what to do and he's supposed to make it happen. The MLBPA exists solely to get more money into players' pockets.

MLB is basically a confederation of teams, not a single entity with a central mission. It feels like the NBA and NFL commissioners have, for some time now, had more power and more leadership trust vested in them than you see with MLB. It feel like Silver and Goodell are like the CEOs of their leagues. The MLB commissioner, even under Selig, was still just a facilitator. Maybe that's just because I don't follow the issues facing those sports very closely.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

OK guys, who's signing Bryce Harper and Manny Machado???

Looking at MLBTR's free agency predictions https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2019.html and they have Harper signing for $420 million and Manny getting $390M. :staredog: Not just breaking Giancarlo's record but obliterating it. So which teams would even consider a contract like that?

A lot of "small market" teams probably don't have much of a shot. I don't think anyone expects the Royals, A's, Rays, etc to make a serious offer. The Padres blew their wad on Eric Hosmer, lol. Cleveland and Arizona should be buyers but are looking to slash payroll instead. Etc.

There are quite a few teams with higher payrolls who don't make sense either. The Cubs and Red Sox have handed out some huge contracts lately; not sure they can take on another. The Brewers made a splash in free agency last year and now their outfield is full and they have a pretty good 3B too. Dodgers and Yankees both stayed out of the luxury tax in 2018 and reset the penalties, and have infinity dollars, but I don't think either has room for Manny or Bryce? Unless like LA trades Puig or Bellinger, or the Yanks trade Andujar, or something wacky like that?

So who's left? I count six contending clubs with money and a roster spot for one or both players: Astros, Angels, Nats, Braves, Phillies, and Cardinals. But rebuilding teams should be in on these guys too, they're both super young FAs and should be in their prime for many years. So I could see the Rangers or White Sox or Tigers making a serious offer, and I bet the Giants go hard for Harper. Or the Mets' new GM makes a splash to try and win over the fanbase?

It would be funny if Harper signed with the Braves or Phillies and terrorized the Nats for a decade so I'm rooting for that if the Giants don't get him. I can't think of a perfect fit for Machado... Rangers maybe, as a replacement for Beltre?

My best guesses for Harper:

Phillies - Hoskins in left and Harper in right... I think they're going to end up with Harper...
Cubs - They love the beefy lad but, if they're committed to playing people as little as possible like they did in 2018, then this could make sense
Astros? - It looks like they have room in the OF for him? Does their payroll allow it?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 5, 2018

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would the Astros want an incredibly expensive SS/3B when they already have Bregman/Correa?

Our OF is stacked as well. Even if you lost Marwin to FA and gave up Reddick through a trade this offseason, we’d still have Marisnick, Kemp, Springer, and Fisher, with Tucker and Straw waiting for call-ups. Plus giving Harper an enormous 8+ year contract might mean losing guys like Springer, Bregman, etc down the line and I’d rather just keep them. Harper is a pipe-dream.

Springer is the only player in that outfield anybody should really fight to keep around. Kemp is a AAAA player and Reddick and Marisnick make a decent platoon.

I hate to sound cruel but the idea of passing on a player who's 26 and capable of what Harper is to keep Kemp, Reddick, or Marisnick around doesn't make a lot of sense.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Robinson Cano only has 5 years left on that deal.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Spoeank posted:

there's a new offseason champ in town, baby

https://twitter.com/KNBR/status/1060003543019487232

He should try to recruit Logan White, who drafted all the homegrown Dodgers stars, away from the Padres if he really wants to drive the Dodgers crazy.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Braves didn't steal anything from the Astros, just so we're clear. He quit at the end of September without a parachute and it looks like other places wanted him.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

iospace posted:

Friendly reminder: the last time a big 4 sports team folded was arguably 1979 when the World Hockey Association (which brought us a bunch of NHL teams) merged with the NHL 1978 when the Cleveland Barons (NHL) folded. Money is not an issue, and like hell the league offices are going to let a team fold.

e: More accurate with the addition of the Barons. My point, however stands.

e2: Salary caps, whether hard or soft, are simply means to prevent ownership from spending, or in very rare cases, overspending. If the adage "to make money you have to spend money" is true, then in no other business is that more true than in professional sports. Salary caps are simply cheap outs for ownership to be cheap.

The Seattle Pilots folded, in a sense (actually that was the early 70s). I thought the A's had really awful financial issues, too, but I can't seem to dig up anything about it. I seem to remember there's a lot about the A's in Lords of the Realm.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tom Gorman posted:

If someone gets Corbin for 5/100 that'll be an insane coup

He's had a really good career. I hope he'll go to a team that people pay attention to outside of their own market.

On a semi-related note, there were like 30,000 people at the DBacks kick-off event last year so I hope they aren't going to have to completely rebuild or some dumb thing because it looked like they were really making progress locally.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

According to StatCast, Pujols is actually a little faster in running to first base than Brian McCann. How is Pujols faster than anyone at this point?

https://twitter.com/darenw/status/1060653851198545921

He says in the subtweets that this is based on 5 ft splits, whatever that is.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Bryant for Appel

Just a little worse than Bryant for Carlos Rodon, the guy people thought they regretted that the Cubs passed on.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 9, 2018

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

2018 Team pitching fWAR
Astros
Yakees
Indians

2018 Team batter fWAR
Dodgers
A's
Red Sox
Yankees
Cubs
Indians

V: gently caress the Indians.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If the Twins had drafted Prior instead of Mauer, would anything have changed about their careers, other than the jerseys? If Mauer had played for the Cubs, I wonder if he would have left for free agency during the Tribune-> Ricketts transition? I'm thinking the Cubs were so loaded with overpriced veterans and the franchise had a well-known debt issue and the combination of the two might have prevented them from offering a free-agent level deal to Mauer like he got from the Twins.

Otherwise, the Twins probably would have run Prior into the ground the same way the Cubs did (or the Cubs did nothing wrong and he would have all the same injury issues). Likewise, there's no telling how many innings Mauer would have played for the Cubs. I'm guessing concussions might have caught up to Mauer, anyway. When you spend that much time at catcher, the risk is pretty high.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, I had no clue Prior was drafted the same year Mauer was. Also I'd forgotten how incredibly short his career was, I knew it was cut short obviously but the legend he built in like 2 years before the injuries killed everything and he was a shadow of himself is pretty impressive.

Insert some article here breathlessly talking about how perfect his delivery was and he'd never have any trouble playing.

The big stink was that Prior had told the Twins not to bother. He wanted a lot more money than they could give him upfront. In addition, the Twins were rumored to be on the block for contraction but I'm not sure if that weighed in his decisions. The Twins obviously had motivation to draft Mauer, anyway, lest the let the next Dave Winfield (local guy with MVP upside) slip through their hands.

The only thing I can come up with for why the Twins would have dared to draft Prior was that they might have feared that they needed to win as much as possible as quickly as possible (due to the contraction fears) and Prior was the safer bet in that regard.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bewbies posted:

semi related but apparently Patrick Mahomes is the most gifted person ever at throwing things

he shoulda chose baseball like his dad did

The description of that first throw reminds me of Baron Davis from 89 feet (a Jon Bois joint).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndmBCqds_gc

lukess1 posted:

Anything is better than the trash they have now.

The logos are beautiful. The Dinger machine is beautiful and too good for this world.

Does anyone know of a GoFundMe to save The Dinger Machine or at least buy it so it doesn't get destroyed?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Oh boy it must be the offseason.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25256211/why-mlb-managers-short

(sorry if this was already posted, I don't think I saw it in here)

It's me! I'm the 69 inch guy in the article!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

According to Cot’s, these are the only players left on the Rays not making league minimum in 2019:

Kiermaier (6/53)
Mike Zunino (arb)
Tommy Pham (arb)
Matt Duffy (arb)
Chaz Roe (arb)

Uhhhhhhh at some point MLB has to tell Sternberg to open his wallet, right

They were just saving money for Bryce Harper.

They actually have a nice team. There isn't a clear star in their lineup but every single guy in their lineup has a chance to be an above average player which is how they finished 6th in wRC+ last season. Their best pitcher won the CY Young last season and Honeywell should be really good. They also will get Jose de Leon back at some point in 2019, who should also be good.

What's amazing is they have pretty good team and they haven't really tanked at all in the last decade. They sign some free agents, not for a lot of money, but they do sign them. And they make a fair number of trades. I really don't have a problem with the Rays having a cheap roster because it wasn't like they got here through some sort of nefarious means. It's going to be tough to compete with the Red Sox and Yankees but any team in baseball would have a hard time competing with them.

Their worst season was 2016 and that was practically the same team that had almost a .500 record in 2017. By baseruns, I think they normally finish higher than their actual W-L record and I think projections are usually sunnier on the Rays than most people would think.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 21, 2018

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Whatever happens with the Segura rumors, I have a feeling DiPoto will cobble together another band of misfits and go back to winning 75 games per year. I have a hard time believing that DiPoto would let a team straight-up tank just because he has such an easy time adding a little value in every trade he makes.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think I forgot Freddy Garcia existed. Like I have this vague recognition of him when I look at the teams he played for and his picture. But, when I saw his name, I immediately thought of Freddy Galvis and wondered how he got on the ballot.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Vernacular posted:

I'm having a hard time believing that Cleveland is actually going to tear it down. Like why would you trade your very affordable stars when you're in such an eminently winnable division.

I hope Thad and co are on the phone with the Indians every day, just daring them to trade players to the Twins in their effort to cut payroll.

The Twins don't have a good DH or 1B right now, and they just let a whole lot of money slip off their boods.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pancakes posted:

On the one hand, $23M for one year of Donaldson is a good deal for the Braves. On the other, that noise you hear is all the rest of the owners kicking the Braves’ owners under the table for signing a deal that pays $23M a year while they’re trying to starve out the FA class again.

This is AA's revenge for Toronto running him out of town.

The Braves currently only have 2 starting outfielders. There's plenty of spots for people to play.

E: Donaldson is a great signing because, prior to injury-riddled 2018, he was still playing at a very high level.

E2: He had a 117 wRC+ in the injury-riddled 2018. He's now the Braves 3rd best hitter, just by his 2018 wRC+.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 26, 2018

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

The Yanks should get Trevor Bauer, but that might actually make the team unlikeable

The articles about the Yankees and the way they hosed over everybody on playoff shares has permanently ruined my ability to root for the current roster, so they can sign anyone they want and my opinion wouldn't get much worse.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I saw a fake trade for some Seattle dudes that included Cano as a throw-in

lol holy poo poo that Cano contract is insane, what were the Mariners thinking?

Nevermind... math is hard

I was trying to find the WAR/$ for veteran 2nd basemen (beyond 6 years of service) with at least 2 WAR last year and it actually came out to $4MM per WAR. That means Cano would need to be worth 6 WAR per season to be "worth" his salary.

I don't really agree with that thinking. When you sign guys like Cano, you are signing for the stability that they should be worth something like 3-6 WAR per season. That premium is to avoid the lottery with someone like Starlin Castro who might be "worth" their money but they're never going to give you that 6 WAR season you need from your better players in order to get to the playoffs.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 29, 2018

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yeah, I hate to be this guy but

Player A

Player B

Schoop has some serious upside. It's dumb of them to do this.

Would you non-tender Javier Baez if he didn't have as good of a year in 2019 as 2018?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

LaStella to the Angels.

That's a light return for Ohtani.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Holy poo poo the

*not in Des Moines

part :lol:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

I knew it was coming and I can still feel myself getting physically tense. May need to take my lunch early so I can go on a run or something:

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1068575378049048578

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Why even keep him? He's not good. Stop treating him like some sort of hidden jewel. He's the backup shortstop at this point. I'm sure he can play other positions since he's so good at short but he doesn't actually do that?

They can't get someone with his value for that kind of money?
They think that he's going to come off a 1 month suspension after an awful season like last year and that's going to help him finally reach his potential?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I will give Addison credit that his apology, offer to be "part of the solution", explanation that he is still working on his personal issues, etc, are the kind of full-on apology and penance that you rarely see from athletes, in MLB or other sports.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tom Gorman posted:

"We traded for Addison when he was a 20-year-old Double-A player, helped him develop into a world champion and welcomed the praise that came along with his triumphs.

If we’re willing to accept credit when a member of our organization succeeds on the field, what should we do if he engages in conduct off the field worthy of discipline from Major League Baseball?"

lmao what the gently caress

Yeah, that didn't really fly with me, either.

They could have phrased that a lot better if they mean "we feel responsible for treating him like property instead of like a human being whose brain was still developing".

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

White Sox to non-tender Matt Davidson?
Is anybody else going to pick up the Matt Davidson experiment?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/white-sox-to-non-tender-matt-davidson.html

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Shoulda had LeBron at the meeting since he's the biggest start to appear in a baseball related commercial in the last year.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Give Portland and Montreal a team.

Move the Rockies to the AL and Tampa to the NL

AL East:
Seattle
Portland
Oakland
LA

AL "South":
Colorado
Houston
Texas
Kansas City

AL Central:
Minnisotta
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland

AL East
Boston
New York
Toronto
Baltimore

NL West:
San Francisco
LA
San Diego
Arizona

NL "South":
Tampa
Miami
Atlanta
Washington

NL Central:
St Louis
Cincinnati
Brewers
Chicago

NL East
Pittsburgh
Montreal
New York
Philadelphia

I know it's a typo but I like the AL East being an 8 team super division.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

I would hope the Nationals would allow a hypothetical Montreal team to reclaim the Expos trademarks.

I think MLB would be involved. Maybe they would allow the new ownership to pay a small fee to Lerner as compensation. I don't think the Lerners should be forced to give it up, if they are actively using it (well ahead of an announcement of a Montreal team), without compensation.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

I am all for expropriating any and all private property from the wealthy without compensation, so I have to disagree with you here.

My sense of ethics has been corrupted by being conditioned over the course of 38 years to ignore institutionalized racism/classicism/sexism/etc, so you are probably correct.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Canadiens own the rights to Youppi!, even if the Expos come back. That's gonna be a weird one to settle?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youppi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

please stop talking as if Harper on the Mets is a possibility, there is no way this is happening

idk about giving away Nimmo for Realmuto but it might be easier to plug in an outfielder than stay with the piss poor catchers Mets have had for eons. Love TdA but he's just not working out and Plawecki is mendoza line quality at best. If AJ Pollock is a realistic signing then go for it.

I feel like Markakis would be a sure thing as a Mets signing under previous front offices but I have no idea what Brodie's going to do.