Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Call up Peter Alonso, cut Jay Bruce, move Seth Lugo to the rotation, and get as many potential bullpen arms as you possibly can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dutchy posted:

It's really silly for me to be annoyed by the A's ranking on such a conceptually stupid list but I'm annoyed by the A's ranking on such a conceptually stupid list

Twins at 11 is incredible (and not in a good way).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MrMojok posted:

I think that’s the putrid aftereffect of witnessing the October Horror. They have a strong core of young dudes and they have a new Kershaw, Kenley is going to get his heart fixed, they will be back.

<150IP is a bit loving soon to be declaring anyone a "new Kershaw".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Steve Pearce, Yankee retread*

*played 12 games for them 6 years ago

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Teams offer QOs to their own soon-to-be free agents.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
You can't be offered one twice in a row by the same team, I think.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

zapplez posted:

Why does the literal best pitcher of his generation turn into league average in the postseason?

Guy is a sub 3 era freak his whole career, but in a ton of post season innings he is just 4.20 ERA.

Is it

1- Better competition in the postseason / More scouting / More pinch hitters
2- Tired from having maybe the most IP of any pitcher in the past 10 years
3- Shook in the playoffs
4- Small sample size

Or a little bit of all 4?

I just dont get how the literal best pitcher turns into league average in the playoffs.

Mostly 1 and 2 IMO, with a bit of 5 - managers are a lot less forgiving in the playoffs so if he has a bad inning he's done for the game, rather than being able to go back out and possibly get back into dominant mode.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

What does Andrew McCutchen have to do with any of this?

Giving up a .814 OPS, Kershaw is clearly unclutch vs Cutch.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

tadashi posted:

I'm too busy to oversee this very closely but would anybody be interested in a Be A GM thread where everybody just makes a plan for their team's off-season so we can laugh at everyone's terrible trade ideas and absurd free agent contracts?

I'd be up for this. Would be interesting to compare my attempts to Somehow Actually A Real GM Brodie Van Wagenen.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

N: The Mets officially hired that agent as their GM

https://twitter.com/ByJamesWagner/status/1057346134509842432

V: lolmets

From the comments of the press conference livestream:

"ok now let's hire the hotdog guy as medical staff"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ego symphonic posted:

Tebow gonna make the majors y'all

If he didn't make it this September when the Mets were nowhere I don't think he ever will (unless he magically becomes not-awful somehow)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Least surprising news of the offseason right here.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jeter seemed pretty confident that they could sign him

Well, yeah, he's not going to come out and say "JT's fed up of being the only major league talent on a triple A roster", is he?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Hako posted:

"Major league" roster.

In terms of paycheck, at least.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Hako posted:

Is there really a ton of variance in rookie contracts?

Between major league and AAA there is.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

Which is funny considering away from Coors he's mediocre as hell.

Half a season of an all-glove no-bat third baseman and half a season of an absolute baseball god is still valuable as hell.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Organizations that value winning championships famously avoid having really good players.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

And you shouldn't care how much your billionaire owners are going to have to spend on them.

Sadly there are roughly 27 teams whose fans have to live in the real world.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

which baseball mascot you think is most edible.

Billy the Marlin.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Make home plate umpires wear a bodycam. You'd get a great angle and as a bonus it'd probably make Angel Hernandez explode with rage.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It was a club option that could have become a player option if McCann had hit PA and GS incentives over the last 2 seasons.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
There's no way Harper gets $400 million, the absolute most he's gonna get is something like $250/6.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Harper's currently got a .900 career OPS, with a season high of 1.109. Andruw through age 25 was at .833 with a high of .907. Bryce is obviously not as good a fielder as Andruw but right now he's a much better offensive player than Andruw was at that age with a much higher ceiling.

e: interesting fact I just found - Andruw's 2005 is the only sub-.400 wOBA 50+ HR season ever.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 6, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Traxis posted:

I think he'll end up signing a heavily frontloaded 10+ year deal with an opt out after 3 years. It will give him a chance to make even more going into his age 29 season while still having long term insurance for injury/decline.

Seems like kind of a lose/lose proposition for the team IMO. If he's good he walks after being paid something like $50M AAV or he's bad and they're on the hook for all of it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
A load of teams are going to be in on Edwin Diaz if the Mariners have a firesale but I think Juan Nicasio is worth a look - in 42 IP he gave up 6 homers, walked 5, and struck out 53, and yet ended up with an ERA of 6 on the back of a BABIP of .402. He's a definite candidate for a bounce-back season next year.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It makes sense.

Not for the Dodgers it doesn't. They don't have anywhere to play Stanton and they don't have the room for his contract without hitting the luxury tax.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
but you see when the Yankees get all of the last 5 Cy Young winners they won't have room for him so it's a bad deal

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Doesn't exactly fit with the "complete rebuild" they're meant to be going after. Maybe Mallex goes somewhere else for prospects?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

ah yes, Nick Markakis and his 114 wRC+, good for 17th among qualified NL outfielders this year (but he was 6th by AVG so I guess that's why he won a SS?)

excuse me that's Future 3000 Hits And Hall Of Famer Nick Markakis to you

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
With the rest of the ALC being so terrible there's an argument to be made that the Indians will be able to walk it next year even if they get rid of one of their starters, in which case acquiring some prospects in order to extend their window and/or shore up the glaring weaknesses in their team isn't the worst idea in the world.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kensei posted:

*back to the Mariners

How many players have been part of an org twice and yet never played a game for them?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

the popes toes posted:

But more interesting to me are the rumors that Astros analytics guy, Sig Mejdal will probably go with him. Mejdal's resume is pretty loving cool. From Wikipedia:

"So, what experience do you have?"

Hate to see the Stros lose front-office talent but relevant baseball in Baltimore might be a few years away.

He's one of the guys who Sam Walker used to run his roto team when he was writing a book about being in Tout Wars, I think it was his first baseball-ish job.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Defensive stats have always been trash but they were more trash than ever this season.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mo's obviously going in and I think Halladay too but none of the other new guys.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The only teams who shouldn't be in on Realmuto are St Louis, San Fran, and probably the Yankees.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Yes the Cardinals have a 99 career OPS+ catcher who turns 37 next year they definitely shouldn't be looking for a replacement

Realmuto is hitting FA at the same time as Yadi, he wouldn't be a replacement.

e: like I don't think that Yadi is going to produce as much as Realmuto is for the next two years, but the Cards would have a riot on their hands if they made him the backup catcher

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Fair enough, although I'll maintain Realmuto is an upgrade now, not just for the future

On paper he is, but getting him would require the Cards sending top prospects to the Marlins and also paying Yadi $40M over two years to be a backup catcher, so it's not worth their while to go after him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
He was 20th in fWAR last year among all pitchers. If he can stay healthy he's absolutely one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Paxton laminated a nice veneer of western canadian values to his face after throwing that perfect game then signs with new york city loving :lol:

You mean "was traded to".

e: also it was a no-hitter not a perfect game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Now with Paxton gone, every one of my four Mariners jerseys is of a former player. Dae-ho Lee, Iwakuma, Cruz and Paxton.

I’ve only got 2 Mets jerseys cause shipping to the UK is a nightmare: Wright and Harvey :sigh: (also I used to have a Reyes but that got thrown out a while ago). Gonna have to bite the bullet and get a deGrom for next season I think.