Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was in New York over the last week and several double-decker tour buses reminded me that it's time for Season 6 of everybody's favorite online series about the decrepit cretins that run the :911: government, so here's the final season of House of Cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OdjW2WSfp8

If you're just discovering this show full of characters you'd like to push in front of a subway car or poison during sex before remembering they're just actors you'd actually probably like to hang out with for a bit and pick their brains about the show (well, most of them; more on that later), lots has happened to Congressman Frank Underwood and his wife Claire, head of a clean water charity, in the last five seasons, but the TL;DR version is basically everything goes terribly conveniently their way on their rise to the top. So, where did we leave off? Well, I tried to spoiler the quote, but it didn't happen, so :siren: HERE BE HEAVY SPOILERS :siren: From Wikipedia:

quote:

Claire protests Frank's resignation, but he concludes it's the best outcome for everyone. Frank reveals that he has been planning this since the weekend retreat before the Ohio and Tennessee elections, where he concluded that the real power is not in who occupies the White House, but who “owns” it. He reveals he is behind the leaks to Hammerschmidt. Claire then confesses to him that she has killed Tom Yates and that there is no way it will lead back to them. After Frank resigns, Claire is sworn in and assumes the presidency...

...Frank asks for a public pardon from Claire for both him and Doug. She agrees to do so in her upcoming TV broadcast, but tells Frank that for their secret arrangement to work, he has to leave the White House and make it appear that they are estranged. Frank reluctantly does so. That night, Claire gives her first televised address as the new President, informing the nation that they have killed Ahmadhi and that the U.S. is going to war with ICO. However, she gives no mention of a pardon to Frank or Doug, despite having agreed to do so. Frank, who has been watching the broadcast from his hotel room, angrily calls her, but Claire rejects the call, and stares towards the camera audience and coldly declares: "My turn."

Frank also said to the camera "If she doesn't say it, I'll KILL her." So, Season 6, the final season, appears it'll be the blood feud race to the finish I've been hoping for for a long time between two maniacal cretins finally trying to see which of them truly is the "better" of the two and...wait, why are you waving your arms at me frantically? Oh. Right. That.

quote:

The actions taken by Netflix and MRC in the fall of 2017, following the exposure of Kevin Spacey’s alleged sexual misconduct just as production was beginning on the final season of “House of Cards,”

In case you missed it, Kevin Spacey was accused of drunkenly forcing himself on a then-teenage Anthony Rapp and sexually assaulting him. He denied remembering it, but apologized anyway, and Netflix promptly told him to gently caress off but decided to keep the show going (which, in spite of Spacey, seemed the right thing to do given the myriad of people involved in the show not named Kevin Spacey who didn't molest children).

So, the final season will be a rewritten, reimagined eight-episode story of Claire "Failed Ambassador and Secretary of State But I Can Be President!" Underwood and her dealings with...being POTUS? Stuff? I mean, what a ridiculous concept by these producers. Surely, there's no way that a megalomaniac would ever improbably ascend to the throne in real life.

It all happens Friday.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I kind of lost interest in this show in the middle of season 4, but I'm probably going to check this out just to see how they cleaned house after Spacey poo poo the bed.

It's really too bad. He never had much range but gosh was he a chilling villain. I highly recommend Swimming with Sharks to that end. It's even a bit cathartic.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Propaganda Machine posted:

He never had much range but gosh was he a chilling villain.

How fitting...

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Can someone literally just spoiler tag a semi-detailed summary of this season?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm morbidly curious and will check it out to see what it's like but I really don't have high hopes. I hated that Claire was portrayed as a cool, intelligent, hyper-capable person in her dealings with Frank or even in private with other characters but anytime she was in public she was a goddamn idiot. She was one of my least favorite characters, but maybe that was intentional and this season will be different.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I couldn't take more than 4 episodes. It's become as ridiculous as 24 but without any of the fun or a Jack Bauer to root for. I Just want to know if the show lives up to its name and the house of cards finally collapses. Do Claire and the rest get their long awaited comeuppance?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
because it seems nobody is interested in watching, myself included, I decided to just watch the last few minutes of the show.

claire and doug are in the oval office, claire is pregnant, doug has a letter opener in claires throat, I think he is probably mad about Frank, but he pulls it out, she is bleeding a bit.

Claire then stabs doug in the stomach and he dies in her arms.

Claire says, "There, no more pain."

Credits roll.

lmao

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Propaganda Machine posted:

I kind of lost interest in this show in the middle of season 4

It became unwatchable in season 3.

The entire entertainment of this show came from watching people pull off razor-smart long cons, ending with the horrifying knock on the desk. "What's going to happen now? What will someone that ruthless, that ambitious, do with the Presidency? Start a war? Make himself president for life somehow?" Then it turns out what happens is he incompetently gets his rear end beat by not-Putin, spends all his effort on a lovely failing job bill and can't keep anything loving together for five minutes.

The whole thing was incredibly infuriating because quite frankly neither Underwood were the same character after that and their IQs both dropped by half. I gave up watching in 4 but 3 was the beginning of the end. The Underwoods that started the series would have been out Putin'ing Putin.

It'd be like if in the next season of Better Call Saul suddenly Saul can barely win a boring case nobody cares about that takes 8 episodes and doesn't remember what a scam is.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 2, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jokes posted:

I'm morbidly curious and will check it out to see what it's like but I really don't have high hopes. I hated that Claire was portrayed as a cool, intelligent, hyper-capable person in her dealings with Frank or even in private with other characters but anytime she was in public she was a goddamn idiot. She was one of my least favorite characters, but maybe that was intentional and this season will be different.

Claire was competent until season 2 then like Frank became a drooling moron by Season 3.

iSheep posted:

because it seems nobody is interested in watching, myself included, I decided to just watch the last few minutes of the show.

claire and doug are in the oval office, claire is pregnant, doug has a letter opener in claires throat, I think he is probably mad about Frank, but he pulls it out, she is bleeding a bit.

Credits roll.

lmao

Are you loving serious?!?! Wow glad I bailed.

Vox Review :lol: posted:

House of Cards’ dismal ending proves it never had anything to say
The Netflix drama’s final season saves the worst for last.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

iSheep posted:

Credits roll.

lmao

I feel like making her pregnant meant there was a 100% chance she was going to survive. The show's been pretty dark, but it's not Seven. So glad I dumped this poo poo after season 3. A critic compared the ending to Dexter's, and that's the show that broke me of the need to finish shows I stopped enjoying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait that scene is the end of the loving series??

*american series, end of the show, whatever

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
The first two seasons were really good and had a pretty great "aren't-i-such-a-villain" Richard III vibe but lol just lol at everything after

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

iSheep posted:

Credits roll.

lmao
I presume you didn't watch the first episode? That dumb phrase is tying back into the first episode, which I'm having a hard time to finish.

Also, I assume that the situation described in your post means that Claire assassinated Frank?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
^^^ Like I said, that is the only part of this new season I watched. I have no idea what happened prior to that.

Yeah I've been telling people for a while to stop at season 2 if they feel like they need to watch it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

folks, if you are expecting anything but schlock from a show that had the president push his secretary of state down a flight of stairs on her way to testify against him and get away with it thanks to convenient camera placement, you are going to be disappointed

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

iSheep posted:

Credits roll.

lmao

Holy poo poo, you're right!! What a piece of trash.

Edit: First season is good, second got its moments.
4 is crap.
5 is less crap.

benzine fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 2, 2018

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Sinteres posted:

So glad I dumped this poo poo after season 3. A critic compared the ending to Dexter's, and that's the show that broke me of the need to finish shows I stopped enjoying.

Funny that you mention Dexter, was about to ask the thread if this shows has been the one with the biggest decline from start to finish since Dexter. I haven't watched this season (and won't) but sounds like it might even "top" Dexter?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, I assume that the situation described in your post means that Claire assassinated Frank?

Actually Doug did it because he was going to kill Claire.

LinkesAuge posted:

Funny that you mention Dexter, was about to ask the thread if this shows has been the one with the biggest decline from start to finish since Dexter. I haven't watched this season (and won't) but sounds like it might even "top" Dexter?

I think it's hard to compare them because this show obviously got derailed by off camera issues. Dexter had weird off camera issues (the divorce between the lead and his sister on the show who was in love with him) that made things weirder if you knew about them, but they didn't lose the main character before the last season.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

House of Cards was trash long before Spacey’s misconduct came to light.

It’s often good-looking trash, but trash nonetheless.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

QuoProQuid posted:

House of Cards was trash long before Spacey’s misconduct came to light.

It’s often good-looking trash, but trash nonetheless.

agreed but with a slight amendment that the first season looked good and afterward it just felt like they clicked the auto white balance button for the rest of the series when it came to color grading.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

iSheep posted:

agreed but with a slight amendment that the first season looked good and afterward it just felt like they clicked the auto white balance button for the rest of the series when it came to color grading.

First season was Fincher, wasn't it?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Farrier Theaks posted:

First season was Fincher, wasn't it?

He just directed the first two episodes, but I don't know how much more involvement he had as a producer beyond that. It could just be a case of people trying to mimic his work and getting less good at that over time, especially after he hosed off to work on other things. Not much point going to a lot of effort to make it look great when the product was turning to poo poo anyway I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I honestly thought seasons 1 to 4 were great and 5 was okay but lmao at this season

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This show was never good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh word? Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

First two seasons were great, the third season was really bad but I thought season 4 was a bit of a return to form (or at least better than 3) but goddamn did the show utterly poo poo the bed in season 5. I can't even work up the desire to watch season 6 even for closure, it feels like everything that happened after the desk knock at the climax of season 2 was enthusiastic fanfiction with a high production budget.

The thing that really pissed me off about season 5 was the long running plotline about Frank's fight to win another term against the charismatic younger guy, and how they kept stretching it out a little further and a little further showing all the little bullshit tricks Frank was using to manipulate everybody else... and then after like 9 episodes they straight up go,"Welp Frank won, the end" and move on completely without any fanfare.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just remembered a whole lot of goons making fun of me for saying that I didn't think Doug was necessarily dead when Rachel hit him with the rock

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched all of season 6 today. It was bad. I fell asleep twice. It is a waste of your time. That's my review.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I really do like seeing Greg Kinnear get work though. That was the best part.

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
As bad as the summaries for S6 sound, the season is much much worse if you sit down to watch it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Does this thread really need spoiler tags? It seems like most people just want to hate post about it anyway.

Just in case: For anyone who actually watched it, is the implication at the end that she's gotten away with all her crimes now, or just that she wasn't murdered but the walls will still be closing in eventually?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I stick with a lot of stupid shows for a lot of stupid years. I can't even bring myself to watch this.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

I stick with a lot of stupid shows for a lot of stupid years. I can't even bring myself to watch this.

Why I can't be like you? Currently on episode 71.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Does this thread really need spoiler tags? It seems like most people just want to hate post about it anyway.

Just in case: For anyone who actually watched it, is the implication at the end that she's gotten away with all her crimes now, or just that she wasn't murdered but the walls will still be closing in eventually?

She's got the approval ratings of George W after 9/11, is about to drop a nuclear bomb for fun, has gotten away with murdering all her enemies, and has dictatorial control over all branches of government. She's gonna be fine!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Been watching bits and pieces of Season 6. Wright is still a fine actor, but everything else around her is just real dumb. As far as I can tell the reporter who was putting together that big journalistic hammer of a story to bring down Francis isn't in the next season at all, that whole aspect seems to just be dropped.

Seems like it basically stumbles its way to a really lovely ending, that could have been at least a somewhat satisfying ending if they were willing to go full Hamlet with it.

I didn't dislike the other seasons as much as others did, but I'd certainly agree that those first two are some real strong stuff. Francis killing his reporter confidant right at the start of season 2 is still one of the most shocking moments a show has pulled on me, I couldn't believe that poo poo happened after she was so compelling in season 1, at least for me she was.

I guess the best I can say for Cards is that a complete last-minute rewrite and restructing of a season could have turned out a lot worse. And hey, everyone still got paid so at least Spacey's last big-deal project will now be remembered for just kind of sputtering out, I guess that's good from a certain perspective? I dunno.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Farrier Theaks posted:

The first two seasons were really good and had a pretty great "aren't-i-such-a-villain" Richard III vibe but lol just lol at everything after

Well then you probably should check out the British version of House Of Cards with Michael Caine, since at least season 1 of the US version is just that story line retold.

It's when they've gone off the rails and started writing their own poo poo that the show went to poo poo.

I didn't even realize this was coming, and will hate watch it because why not... nothing better to do at work

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
so in the end we are allowed to make up our own ending? The season was fine soap opera watch but could of used one more episode

disappointed they didn't have the madam president go to Georgia to return the ring and to piss on the grave like a true underwood would do

edt. I watched this while playing video games but there are some hilarious lines that stuck out to me

"she is weaponizing her feminism!"

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

No Luck Needed posted:

disappointed they didn't have the madam president go to Georgia to return the ring and to piss on the grave like a true underwood would do

She is a Hale after all.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Goons, any idea why this season is only 8 episodes long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

benzine posted:

Goons, any idea why this season is only 8 episodes long?

Probably because they had to rewrite a bunch of poo poo to cut Frank out of it and they didn't to spend more money rewriting a 13 episode season of a show that has been lovely for a while anyway.