Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I imagine Zhukov would get :commissar: in this reality after just one of his early war operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

alex314 posted:

I imagine Zhukov would get :commissar: in this reality after just one of his early war operations.

Too successful? (I know nothing about Zhukov)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Omobono posted:

Too successful? (I know nothing about Zhukov)

Terrible in the early war and gets very successful once the war turns. Rokossovsky disobeys a direct order to launch a counter-offensive from him in the early war, because it was so terrible and doesn't even get disciplined for it.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 17, 2018

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
That one panzer division that got itself cut off during summer is still the only Axis unit to cross the Dnepr, correct?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And then the Allies made Nazis into supreme commanders of NATO. Top job there.

Not for nothing, but the first Chief of Staff of the East German Army and Vice President of the Vollskammer, Vincenz Mueller, was on the staff that planned Barbarossa and commanded a German division during the invasion. Heinz Neukirschen, who was for a while acting head of the Volksmarine, had been a Nazi loyalty officer in the WWII German navy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It didn't work out too well for Müller when it was seen his conversion to communism wasn't particularly genuine though. Fell from his balcony to his death.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

1941 was a historical Russian advance right?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We lost our foothold in Germany! Uncle Joe didn't like that. . . :commissar:

He'll only be assuaged by pocketing all those Germans in Estonia.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That's Estonian SSR, you counter-revolutionary :commissar:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What is that SS mechanized(?) division? The 19=58 one?

Also what the hell is happening here?

E: actually what does the symbol on that division mean? Cross would be infantry, what do the two dots add to that? Mechanized should be cross and oval together.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 19, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Mechanised infantry. Cross and Oval is apparently 'armoured infantry' whatever that means. Wheeled vs tracked?
http://niehorster.org/000_admin/009_symbols.html

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 19, 2018

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Should be motorized infantry.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

X is infantry, oval is armor, x with dots is motorized infantry, x with oval is mechanized infantry (motorized with apcs instead of trucks.)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I kind of wonder if they broke the AI in some patch? I remember years ago the Germans were able to maintain steady pressure, but now I'm running a game with the same results as Grey - specifically the Axis seems unable to maintain a cohesive line, and keeps sending troops on wild goose chases in the rear, to counter player breakthroughs hundreds of miles away, which causes the front to further weaken, leading to more player breakthroughs, more AI troops pulled from the front lines to plug new holes... in short, a vicious circle of the AI trying to fix its strategic situation and collapsing its own defenses instead.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I am worried front line face.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:unsmigghh:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Wait for it.....

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Is there a port up in that potential pocket section that they can escape from?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Grey Hunter posted:

I am worried front line face.

...Could you drive up from the Pripyat marshes and south from Riga and cut off the majority of the attacking Germans? Pull off a reverse Barbarossa!?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

:f5: for a next turn. If RNGods are in your favour and mud season comes next turn things will turn interesting to AGN. I imagine those armoured corps chilling in the swamp won't be happy either.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
I'm getting a mental image of a bunch of junior German officers conducting a war game and every turn ends with their mentor going "Tut-tut, Helmut, you've left your supply lines open again :nono:. See, the enemy could do this :mil101:".

E: The historians of this timeline will keep writing about the incredible amounts of LSD consumed by the OKH and how it resulted in half the German panzers getting (almost?) encircled in Estonia and the other being driven into the famously tank-friendly terrain of the Pripyat marches.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 20, 2018

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

To be honest there's something wrong with AI - I haven't played the game but on many occasions it looks like it could isolate and smash single hexes with 2-3 of Grey's divisions.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Welp.
Paging Herp and Davin, we weren't this incompetent were we?

E: Is this the mythological backhand blow?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Loezi posted:

I'm getting a mental image of a bunch of junior German officers conducting a war game and every turn ends with their mentor going "Tut-tut, Helmut, you've left your supply lines open again :nono:. See, the enemy could do this :mil101:".

wargamers have it easy - we can invade Russia over and over and over for practice

The Germans had one chance

alex314 posted:

To be honest there's something wrong with AI - I haven't played the game but on many occasions it looks like it could isolate and smash single hexes with 2-3 of Grey's divisions.

the problem with the AI is that it can't plan more than one turn ahead. It can maybe identify a weak point in the line and try to smash through it, and maybe it'll pull off an encirclement within a single turn, but it can never think hard enough to create a breakthrough, develop an encirclement, and complete it 2-3 turns later, and that makes their performance really bad as the Germans in 1941 unless you give them huge bonuses.

another take on a Soviet LP would be to start from November 1942, at the high-water mark of the German advance, and see if you can beat the Soviet historical record to reaching Berlin

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Have any of the German formations even gotten into old Russia? or is all the fighting in Ukraine, Belarus and so on?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there even going to be a world war at this point? With the way this war is going, Japan might want to quietly shuffle away from the axis come december instead of pissing off the allies.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Arban posted:

Have any of the German formations even gotten into old Russia? or is all the fighting in Ukraine, Belarus and so on?

Only just. From the outskirts of Pskov down to Velikye Luki looks to be the only place they've stepped foot on Russian soil.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It must be an "interesting" timeline for Baltic States. Less than 2 years of Soviet occupation, then rapid German advance, and Soviet counterattack within months.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Omobono posted:

Welp.
Paging Herp and Davin, we weren't this incompetent were we?

E: Is this the mythological backhand blow?

Give yourselves credit, at least you actually managed to siege Leningrad :v:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
shoutout to our lads in Spain, we're coming !

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
If you roll them back sufficiently, will you dedicate fronts to destroying the minors (Romania, Finland, etc) immediately?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

This counteroffensive is amazing to watch. :f5:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

PittTheElder posted:

This counteroffensive is amazing to watch. :f5:

Just wait for the blizzard.

Welp:

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 21, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So I hear you guys like encirclement's?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hitler's dead*.
Hitler has been arrested, executed and his head is traveling to Moscow with a post-it note saying "Oh god please don't hurt us too much Herr Stalin"

*and everyone rejoiced

Mussolini is sending ambassadors to the Allies to see if we can engage in the time-dishonoured Italian tradition of changing alliances midway.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I like to think the Soviet's famous deception tactics are even more effective in this timeline given every official communique from STAVKA is telling the troops to get in their Panzers and fight the Russians.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 21, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

What exactly happens if all those guys are still cut-off in Estonia once the mud hits? Are they just stuck there all winter long?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They run out of supplies, become combat-ineffective, and Grey wades into the mud to destroy them piecemeal.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

megane posted:

What exactly happens if all those guys are still cut-off in Estonia once the mud hits? Are they just stuck there all winter long?

No, just until snow/blizzard. Then it's an all-expenses paid trip to Siberia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Can't they be loaded into ships and evacuated?