Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have there been any updates from Toby recently? Though I imagine the current pandemic would probably slow down Deltarune’s production a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
But we know dogs can't get covid!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Jokes aside, I hope him and his associates stay safe and healthy.

Also everyone here also.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fangz posted:

But we know dogs can't get covid!

No, they can, cats too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This isn’t explicitly Deltarune/Undertale related, but in a lot of ways it totally is, so I figured I’d just drop it here and see if there was any potential cross interest.

I literally don’t know how I found this other than I was blessed/cursed with it by The Algorithm on YouTube recommending one of the songs on its soundtrack to me out of nowhere. It’s a game currently in its demo phase called Everhood (Steam, Itch.io) and it is... weird as poo poo to say the least.

It wants to be Deltarune/Undertale super hard in literally every aspect of itself and doesn’t so much wear its influences (Toby Fox/Earthbound/Super Mario RPG/Cave of the Necrodancer) on its sleeve as it blatantly wears an entire shirt made out of them. It feels at times like some 15 year old’s “I want to do that too” Undertale fangame that became something... wildly extra.

I watched someone do a playthrough of the demo and was like “holy poo poo, this actually looks pretty good.” Like, it’s clearly running on for lack of a better term the Deltarune “engine” (ie: the same thing Toby cobbled together from Gamemaker Studio), but it’s doing so much more with its potential that I’m actually drawn into whatever the hell is going on with it.

I’m so torn on it, because, like I said, it’s basically wearing Toby Fox’s work like a hollowed out skin suit, and yet it’s also doing something wildly creative in its own right with that baseline. So I don’t know where to come down on it.

Like, here’s a video of the final fight of the demo (presented sans context, so there’s no real spoilers). I don’t think you’re ever gonna see anything that batshit trippy in a Toby Fox game, unless the remaining chapters of Deltarune are hiding some serious surprises. So I’m actually kind of intrigued to see where the folks behind this thing are going with it and if it actually has anything meaningful to say about anything, or if its just the good-looking hyper-pretentious yet meaningless 15 year old fanfic I fear it is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as the rare good youtube comment put it

quote:

everybody gangsta until the purgatory gnomes start dancing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I was gonna use “without context” and then my brain went NO! :devil:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
honestly even if it ends up being not very good writing-wise (the demo is super disjointed and feels almost machine-translated sometimes) it'll probably be worth a playthrough just for those bizarre visuals

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

flatluigi posted:

honestly even if it ends up being not very good writing-wise (the demo is super disjointed and feels almost machine-translated sometimes) it'll probably be worth a playthrough just for those bizarre visuals

That’s probably about as close to what I’d figure my take on it is as well. “This script is pretty garbo, but HOLY poo poo look at how good this thing looks.” And I’d be willing to drop $10 on it if they could keep up the level of quality from that gnome fight all the way through the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was getting into the visuals enough that when the screen just started to rotate all the way around it really got me good

game looks visually fascinating, but I'm not sure it can hold up well on just visuals if the writing is crap.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I only watched that video of the boss but I was so engrossed and all I could think was that this has the right stuff to be a hit in terms of the visuals and the feeling of the gameplay

I haven't looked at what it's like outside of combat but as long as it has fights like that and the writing feels purposefully obtuse it could go places

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
those purgatory gnomes are sure something

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Finally, Geno gets the game he deserves

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes you just have to get up and go fight the Winamp visualizer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It looks like the main dev/writer of the game is Spanish, so that's probably why the script has that "machine translated to English" feel to it. It's probably in need of a proper localization pass on the script by a native English speaker before its final release at the very least.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Sometimes you just have to get up and go fight the Winamp visualizer
After many years, the llama whips back.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Looks like someone finally modded Giygas into Audiosurf

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

While it looks cool, the visuals at the end are actually too much for me. Like I'll watch someone play it, but I don't think I would be able to get through it if I played it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Seems too hard for me to ever beat, TBH.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

This isn’t explicitly Deltarune/Undertale related, but in a lot of ways it totally is, so I figured I’d just drop it here and see if there was any potential cross interest.

I literally don’t know how I found this other than I was blessed/cursed with it by The Algorithm on YouTube recommending one of the songs on its soundtrack to me out of nowhere. It’s a game currently in its demo phase called Everhood (Steam, Itch.io) and it is... weird as poo poo to say the least.

It wants to be Deltarune/Undertale super hard in literally every aspect of itself and doesn’t so much wear its influences (Toby Fox/Earthbound/Super Mario RPG/Cave of the Necrodancer) on its sleeve as it blatantly wears an entire shirt made out of them. It feels at times like some 15 year old’s “I want to do that too” Undertale fangame that became something... wildly extra.

I watched someone do a playthrough of the demo and was like “holy poo poo, this actually looks pretty good.” Like, it’s clearly running on for lack of a better term the Deltarune “engine” (ie: the same thing Toby cobbled together from Gamemaker Studio), but it’s doing so much more with its potential that I’m actually drawn into whatever the hell is going on with it.

I’m so torn on it, because, like I said, it’s basically wearing Toby Fox’s work like a hollowed out skin suit, and yet it’s also doing something wildly creative in its own right with that baseline. So I don’t know where to come down on it.

Like, here’s a video of the final fight of the demo (presented sans context, so there’s no real spoilers). I don’t think you’re ever gonna see anything that batshit trippy in a Toby Fox game, unless the remaining chapters of Deltarune are hiding some serious surprises. So I’m actually kind of intrigued to see where the folks behind this thing are going with it and if it actually has anything meaningful to say about anything, or if its just the good-looking hyper-pretentious yet meaningless 15 year old fanfic I fear it is.

you're selling this way short, this poo poo is loving incredible

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tried out the demo. Definitely will pick this up for the gameplay and combat visuals if the game is cheap enough, but I do agree it is held back by the Undertale/Deltarune aesthetic. It's a weird split; the soul of the game/art direction is definitely apparent in the combats, but the in between parts feel fangame-ish and it kind of pulls me out. The ATM making Flowey faces kind of pulled me out of that fight a bit as well for the same reason.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
haha

wew

sure alot of stuff happening huh

*tugs collar*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
undertale is what got me into writing fanfiction which i continue to do to this day in very large quantities, let this be memorialized here

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, has there been any recent word from Toby regarding this game’s progress (I imagine the whole pandemic kind of set them back a bit)?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Gonna miss shitposting about UT/DR with y'all because this is the only place I like to talk about the game with anyone

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

still full of hopes & dreams about the mod team performing a successful coup

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Gonna miss shitposting about UT/DR with y'all because this is the only place I like to talk about the game with anyone

:same: Is any other UT discussion site even remotely decent?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Oxxidation posted:

undertale is what got me into writing fanfiction which i continue to do to this day in very large quantities, let this be memorialized here

Where do you post your fanfiction

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Magitek posted:

:same: Is any other UT discussion site even remotely decent?

I don't think so, but if somebody knows different they can correct us

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, has there been any recent word from Toby regarding this game’s progress (I imagine the whole pandemic kind of set them back a bit)?
He did a little message at Indie Expo but it had no updates.
Anecdotally, from my little corner of working on an indie game covid has not been a logistical hindrance since we were all working from home anyway, but my productivity dropped precipitously for a bit anyway.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

And now your dark secret is out.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Question: Is Undyne a reverse mermaid? I’d argue that she is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
reverse mermaids don't have hands

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Magitek posted:

Question: Is Undyne a reverse mermaid? I’d argue that she is.
Yes.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Oxxidation posted:

yeah and it's really, really good

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/1277703777244426240
https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1277693547899207681
Not super newsworthy but I'm amused that Yoko Taro greatly desires stickers from Toby Fox.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrwxUqSQTxA

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

this looks cool as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty