Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Going for the original Game Boy monochrome green is an interesting choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

GunnerJ posted:

Going for the original Game Boy monochrome green is an interesting choice.

It's certainly brave, I lived through that era and even then I'm not going to put up with it unless everything else is perfect (Obra Din managed to make it work but this looks more than just a bit different)

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

RabidWeasel posted:

It's certainly brave, I lived through that era and even then I'm not going to put up with it unless everything else is perfect (Obra Din managed to make it work but this looks more than just a bit different)

Yeah, I can't imagine it's very good but that music is :discourse:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Completed it (found the whole journal), took me about 2 hours.

It's a bit on the long side to play through for an alternate ending (other than the "go straight back to bed" ending) - apparently there's a difference if you never talk to Zera?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nostalgamus posted:

Completed it (found the whole journal), took me about 2 hours.

It's a bit on the long side to play through for an alternate ending (other than the "go straight back to bed" ending) - apparently there's a difference if you never talk to Zera?

How is it and what’s the actual gameplay like?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I liked it.

Gameplay-wise it's only walking around and talking to people, similar to Escaped Chasm (but there are significantly more people around to talk to). The game mostly looks like the pixel art in the trailer, although there's full-screen pixel art for the first conversations with significant characters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Honest question but how do you think it feels to have Undertale tied to her game.

It's a original IP and something clearly important to Temmie, so whenever she releases something and the headline on news sites mention undertale first I feel a little bad about it. Like maybe that gets more attention on it in the long haul but "Undertales artist who worked with Toby Fox did a thing" feels ... not right? Is that just me?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If I were her I would do anything I could to have journalists connect this game to Undertale. Once a game is done you want every possible person to see it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 13, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
half the reason undertale had so much initial go power is because it was "homestuck's musician did a thing"

it sucks but influence chains off influence that way

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There are tons of small-scale game makers and animators out there--getting this kind of attention for a small project is a pretty big deal. I don't know Temmie but I'd think being able to use the connection to Undertale as a platform to build her own thing is probably awesome. She has a chance to move out from Undertale's shadow if she wants, but it would tske a much larger scale project imo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Same artist + composer is a pretty good reason to compare it to Undertale imo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno if I'd be too broken up over the idea of being constantly associated with the indie game that blew up so big the creator became a literal celebrity in Japan and had one of his characters end up in Smash Brothers.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I think it’s always helpful to get a fame boost from others. Even in the professional industry, we have “This new game franchises is written by [famous writers] or it’s made by the dev of [famous games].

Her name will stand out eventually if her work gets recognized. Undertale could had been “made by the guy who make music for homestuck.”

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honest question but how do you think it feels to have Undertale tied to her game.

It's a original IP and something clearly important to Temmie, so whenever she releases something and the headline on news sites mention undertale first I feel a little bad about it. Like maybe that gets more attention on it in the long haul but "Undertales artist who worked with Toby Fox did a thing" feels ... not right? Is that just me?

It probably feels great, like you wanna USE that poo poo! Temmie did great work with Undertale and it gave her own career a major boost. The game industry and the art world are both highly competitive, you need to take whatever promotion you can get and ride it as hard as you can.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, I guess I'm just worried about the ability to escape the shadow of a project you helped with. Stand on it's own legs without needing UT to be a support

I'm probably just overthinking it all

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Almost no independent games succeed. It's not an industry where you're likely to win without help (and it always requires luck) so you take any you can get.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Checked out the Everhood demo recommended on the other page. Funky, I dig it.

Some of the fight patterns didn't really click for me - like I wasn't quite sure where I was supposed to be/how to avoid certain things? Like I'd get boxed. Whereas there was other patterns that felt a lot more natural in what they were suggesting?

One of the fights had a checkpoint and that was mercy. I'm kind of surprised I didn't see any checkpoints in the last fight, and I'm glad I managed to muddle through.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

regarding Temmie Chang and her game, given she put in the Deltarune cast as cameos i don't imagine she feels too broken up about being connected to Toby Fox' work

anyway, the game is cute and all, but it feels like an extended prologue for a different story rather than a game that stands on its own? it introduces all these concepts, characters, relationships and conflicts and then... ends. obviously she intends to create more stories with that world and characters, but i still can't help but find it unfulfilling as a stand-alone piece. i remember not having that issue with Escaped Chasm despite being a lot shorter, probably because it was so laser-focused on one character that it worked better as a vignette to me

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is the only place on here that's still quasi-concerned with Undertale as far as I know.

I completely miss out on things until they get loud enough, everyone was quick to tell you that Undertale had a bad fanbase much like every popular game. Anyway, can anyone remember any specifics? Like, spoilers for new players aren't new, nor are backseating. I can't remember anything that'd somehow make it worse than Dark Souls or whatever.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

This is the only place on here that's still quasi-concerned with Undertale as far as I know.

I completely miss out on things until they get loud enough, everyone was quick to tell you that Undertale had a bad fanbase much like every popular game. Anyway, can anyone remember any specifics? Like, spoilers for new players aren't new, nor are backseating. I can't remember anything that'd somehow make it worse than Dark Souls or whatever.

basically every fight has an easy way out (fighting) and a hard way out, and the hard way out is navigating a puzzle that is, in my opinion, much more interesting

also the music loving rules

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

basically it has puzzles and secrets and surprises and jokes, all of which are really awful for people to spoil when streaming and which also pose an irresistible temptation to backseat game on

like with dark souls you can tell a guy to Git Gud but you can't give him step by step instructions of how to win the fight

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
If I remember, some people were real insistent that streamers should take the pacifist route on their first go and got real mad if they didn't.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

RareAcumen posted:

What people said and also people getting stupid horny over certain characters and completely butchering them personality-wise to fit their own desires.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the lion's share of it was definitely people getting furious whenever anyone didn't play pure pacifist immediately

like would legitimately bellow at someone who uploaded a video including any death that they were horrible people because they made a pixel frog dead

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Heliotrope posted:

If I remember, some people were real insistent that streamers should take the pacifist route on their first go and got real mad if they didn't.

the advice was that if you went pacifist your first time around you could reload your save and play the extended, 'true' ending immediately after seeing the normal ending to the game, whereas if you didn't you'd have to replay the whole game. this is genuinely good advice b/c it's not like streamers would inherently want to replay the game immediately, and the true pacifist ending has an extra area with new enemies and wraps the game up in a decent way.

the problem is that, for people who don't know that (like, say, the streamers) what they were seeing is half their chat telling them to play one way and the other half of the chat being contrarian and making GBS threads on those people -- and then once that fight replayed itself enough that started to build the Reputation

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Patware posted:

the lion's share of it was definitely people getting furious whenever anyone didn't play pure pacifist immediately

hell, same. but harassing people about it seems kinda ironic

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Patware posted:

like would legitimately bellow at someone who uploaded a video including any death that they were horrible people because they made a pixel frog dead

nah people fakeposting on random videos like that came after

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
My ideal Undertale playthrough would be the LPer doing a completely blind run first, recorded before any videos are uploaded. This way their reactions are pure and they can make their own decisions at how to proceed. This would then be followed up by a True Pacifist run starting from the beginning, only this time done with someone who's already played the game and has a decent knowledge of stuff in it like easter eggs, fun facts, and other easily missed things.

This way, the 2nd run is still interesting since it's more of a guided tour of the things someone going in blind would've missed. I've always thought "blind LPer with knowledgeable co-LPer" was the best form of Let's Play. This way you'd be able to get the LPer's first time reactions and decisions and then also them seeing the things you want them to react to as well.

Genocide run is optional.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 21, 2020

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
There was also poo poo like the "needle cookie" incident where a Taiwanese fanartist was given homemade cookies with needles in them at a convention, and it was generally assumed they were given to her because she was a Frisk/Sans shipper. Except the giver was a friend of hers and the incident was the culmination of a love triangle, but that part never got picked up by western bloggers/media sources before it went viral. So it turned into a sensationalist story of how Undertale fans are psychos who will kill you for liking a ship they don't like, rather than the story of someone who tried to kill her friend because the boy she had an eye for liked her friend better.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't think that actually happened

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

flatluigi posted:

nah people fakeposting on random videos like that came after

i saw those comments happening like week 2, i was in a twitch where people started shrieking at a streamer for attacking toriel, it for real happened and was the main reason why the undertale fandom got a real bad reputation

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Patware posted:

i saw those comments happening like week 2, i was in a twitch where people started shrieking at a streamer for attacking toriel, it for real happened and was the main reason why the undertale fandom got a real bad reputation

you're right, people were actually that upset at a character dying in a videogame and it wasn't just an incredibly easy way to troll people that apparently still works to this day

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tired: fake posting on undertale videos
wired: posting fake undertale videos

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
People got lovely about it, but I understood why people wanted streamers and lets players to play through it as pacifist right away (I did too). Anyone I watched that played through it like a normal RPG did not go back and play through it again to get to the pacifist route, and I don't really blame them. Beard Bros for instance played it and killed a few early on and only got the neutral ending, so no one got to see them react to all the lab stuff, the Undyne/Alphys dump scene, the Asriel fight, Flowey getting everyone's souls, etc etc. People wanna see the streamers play through everything, and most streamers/lets players will not go back to play through the game a second time when so very little is different.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

flatluigi posted:

you're right, people were actually that upset at a character dying in a videogame and it wasn't just an incredibly easy way to troll people that apparently still works to this day

you have not been paying attention to the internet if this is an unrealistic concept to you

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Patware posted:

you have not been paying attention to the internet if this is an unrealistic concept to you

what are you talking about, i'm agreeing with you! you're right, everyone is always completely honest on the internet, especially when they're acting in an over the top fashion and especially in sacred, solemn places like youtube comments and twitch chat. when people are acting in easily faked and easily mocked ways, they're 100% representative of how the majority of people respond in that situation and certainly aren't people who thought a videogame about being nice to people was a bad thing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
anyway hope that explains things for you rareacumen

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
There’s also time where streamer ask the chat for how to proceed on a section/puzzle they got stuck, and people get pissy for someone ‘spoiling’ too much.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Always going to appreciate that Toby anticipated people watching a stream of the genocide run instead of doing it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I'd say this was more an example of the fanbase being embarrassing than bad, per se, but there was also that time that some guy gave the Pope a Steam key for Undertale.